"Green Tea" Hunter Weapon/Control

Hi!

I wrote a longer post on ihearthu forums about a deck that i have been playing around with. It focuses on weapons with Captain Greenskin and Brewmasters to bring value and reuse on minions. Biggest thing is the re-use of Greenskin to have more attack and durability on Gladiators Longbows. Wild Pyromancers are also in special spot as they bring great AoE removal and work especially well with Hunters Mark. Few heals are there to be juggled around with Brewmasters against decks that try to burn you down with spells and Charge.

Decklist:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16711-green-tea

Much more in depth explanations:
http://ihearthu.com/forums/topic/239-green-tea-weaponcontrol/

Video how the deck works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kplbWn77wp0
Edited by Typoko on 11/17/2013 3:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
I checked this out from your links and I'm impressed by what you're trying to do here. IMO the Buzzard/UTH beast type deck is pretty much the only one that's viable due to limited hunter card draw, but using bounce mechanics to mitigate the lack of draw is sort of genius.

Not a cheap deck though, and getting Captain Greenskin is kind of a pain unless you're trying to build a pirate deck. I was previously wondering if a pirate hunter deck would be at all viable if you had the bows, but I couldn't figure out how to get around the card draw limitations. Never even thought of bounce cards...

I'm unsure about running the Wild Pyromancers as it seems you have to use them with Hunter's Mark in order to be effective, but I can see how it might work with this deck.

I can also see this deck being weak to rush decks, especially if they're running Oozes. (Ironically I can see it being weak to the typical OTK hunter deck as well.) How necessary are the healer cards? What sort of success rate do you have with the deck?
Reply Quote
Hi!

You use Pyromancers for everything. It just might be the MVP of every game if you don't count Captain in the games where you get to bounce it. While playing this deck everything is sort of chaotic as you have to do things with the cards you are dealt. Getting that 1 extra damage in might mean that you can kill something with a Bow, breaking bubbles or what i have found to be effective is Pyro to Explosive Trap. This way you can get 3 damage AoE and don't have to worry about buffers coming in and ruining everything. It's also good sometimes to kill bunch of 1/1 minions for you to actually hit with Deadly Shot. The situations aren't there every game but usually you can come up with some clever ways to make use of the one damage. It's good to remember that WP is only "controlled" way to get 1 or 2 damage AoE. Especially good against MurLocks.

Healer cards are crucial against Warriors and Mages. Against Mages you might want to focus on juggling the ERF to gain extra health and try to keep it so that you never leave it at the table. Atm i'm actually thinking of removing the Sylvanas and putting one Darkscale Healer back. They are so great value if they survive one round and you can remove something and then bounce it back to hand.

The deck seems to be the most weakest on everything that pushes in from the start. That is one of the reasons why you need to healers instead of the tanks as you get instant value from them and they usually can at least trade to one of their minions. Best situation is that you can heal, kill one of their minions and then bounce it back tho it never seems to happen with ERF :P

Oozes won't really hurt you. I have played around 40-50 games with this deck and i have never found them to be an issue. 4 Weapons mean that you will have 2 left after oozes. EHB are also something that you usually play before you start juggling Captain and they eat up Oozes so it won't really be a problem for them to eat both Glads with them. If they save up them in their hand that's two more dead cards most of the game just like control cards.
Reply Quote
I'm trying to imagine how a typical game with this deck would play out. Your explanation is somewhat helpful, but maybe you could post a video of a few games to better demonstrate how the deck works?
Reply Quote
Hi!

I frapsed a match. Game with introduction took around 20 minutes and ended up to be 28 gig. I have rather bad internet so it might take a while i can get the compressed video uploaded. It was the first game i tried to record and it ended up showing rather well how the deck works.
Reply Quote
Hunter's Mark + WIld Pyromancer is pretty cute. I'm confused by the healing minions though. At 3/2 I don't see WP lasting more than the turn he's played. Is the healing for the hero?
Reply Quote
Hi!

The healing is mainly for hero. WP are also something that do not last a turn. That is also one of the reasons you run the pandas. WP down, cast spell to kill, bounce it back with Panda. You end up using 2 extra mana if you want to trade it to Panda but against some decks such as Paladins and Warlocks it's really worth it.

I actually managed to upload the video rather quickly as it only took 200 megs compressed. Sorry for the crappy 4:3 size but for some odd reason i'm really fond on my old monitor. :3

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kplbWn77wp0
Reply Quote
wow, really cool deck! I love how you're playing with the meta here
Reply Quote
Thanks so much for the video! It really demonstrates the unique playstyle of your deck. Love how you're "thinking outside the box" when it comes to hunter.

If you decide to upload more videos I think some of us would definitely be interested. Really like how you're utilizing the bounce pandas with Captain Greenskin and the bows. Fun to watch and a really clever use of some of the under-appreciated mechanics of the game.
Edited by Kestrel on 11/17/2013 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
Oh you... *blush*

Soon someone starts to think i'm you but just with another account :P

Thanks for the praises. :P
Reply Quote
Oh you... *blush*

Soon someone starts to think i'm you but just with another account :P

Thanks for the praises. :P

Not possible, our accents are completely different. ;)
Reply Quote
I just started dabbling with a Trap Hunter and came across your deck… Now this is something I can really get behind heheh. I had enough cards/dust/DE-able stuff to make most of it, I'm short 1 Gladiator's Bow but I think I got everything else.

I've only got one game under my belt vs. a Warrior but…wow the deck is incredibly interesting. I got beat down to 8 after he pulled back to back Arcanite Reapers, but panda bounce and marginal gains here and there just started to erode away his armor and then health while keeping me alive. It's great because like you said, you just deal with threats/situations based on what your deck gives you, which to me is far, far more engaging than just durdling up until big guys or a UTH-rush.

Just wanted to say thanks for building this and sharing it ^_^ I'm looking forward to playing with this more heh.
Reply Quote
Hi!

I have started tracking win/loss ratios with this. Atm going 62% after 50 games. I'm trying to get to 100 games and then do a round up how it did against what classes. I'm thinking to add something for end game like Rag or Ysera.
Reply Quote
That was a very interesting video there! I'm impressed, too. I do not have nearly the cards to make it happen though - well, particularly, captain greenskin. :) But i like the idea, I might toy around with some variations (small deck libraries are one of the many mothers' of invention).

If you can do other videos, that would be great, but I understand if it's a pain to upload your fraps :)
Reply Quote
Hi!

Uploaded a new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B-nSOIuwFM

During the coming week i'll most likely have more possibilities to record videos and maybe i'll get some of the quality problems fixed. The game isn't anything like the first one in level of comeback, but i taught i'd try to upload a new one and see how it comes out with the new setup.

I'm not completely sure why the opponent played the way he did, but it might be that some opponents just think that the deck is UtH OTK with the turn 1 Tracking and nothing else for early turns. Also my MMR seems to be rather low and my opponents haven't really been on top of the game all the time...
Reply Quote
Hi!

Uploaded a new video with the changes to the deck. From now on if i upload more videos i'll keep it at the community forums and not update this post anymore. Well i might rezz this thread if something big happens with it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5ncs0NRe8&
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]