My control druid - Master 3 & top 50

Hi everyone! :)

Druid is my favorite class in Hearthstone right now and it saddens me greatly to see it so unpopular and misunderstood.

Since my druid deck got me to top 50 (EU) this week I thought I might share it for those looking for advice or to debate its strengths and weaknesses with the more advanced players.

Before I go into details I'll tell you the main appeal to this deck:
-It wins almost all the time against hunters UTH (thanks to armor, heal and taunting druids of the claw)
-Same thing and same reason (minus taunt, plus charge) for frost mages
-It wins almost all the time against priest, only by letting them draw to death though, control vs control can be a pain.
-It's very solid against super aggro, such as the rogue and warlock decks that dominate the Managrind tournaments. These match ups are not easy though, but at least you've got a fair shot!
-Nobody expects Druids, there's always an element of surprise!

Here is the decklist:
http://www.hearthhead.com/deckbuilder#czfI7zfE7MmP7Md67znV7zsQ7zbH7MiS7MqK7Mj67Mau7Maq7zc47zoG7Mzj7zd47MzV7zya7ziv7Mra8q

A few notes
-As you can see the deck has a little draw, enough really considering it's high curve, no Nourrish though as it is too slow for the meta I find.
-4 Charge minions to avoid the perma-frost nightmare against control mages.
-Naturalize is good as a one off, use it on Yseras and such. It's also the best card ever against priest. It literally wins me 90% of my match-ups against them, draw them to death!
-There is a little bit of Spell Power in there, use it mainly for your AOE spells, it gets very nasty very fast
-I often hear people belittling Sylvanas, don't listen to that nonsense, she's insane. Just don't let her get mind-controlled, that's awkward!
-Farseer, claw, bite and ancient of lore can all be a form of heal. You WILL need it in certain match-ups to avoid getting in the pyro-range or to recover from the first aggro wave after you've wiped it.
-Cards that could be swapped for something else imo: Bite and Starfire
-Good cards for your opening hand: claw, faerie (or Ooze), wrath, keeper of the grove. Against aggro Swipe is also very cool to have right away, against priests and control Twilight Drake instead.

Hope this will help new druids and that experienced ones will give me brilliant ideas to improve it!
/discuss

note: sorry for my lackluster English, not my native language!
Reply Quote
Hey really like the deck, My main deck is very similar to this one as well as the deck I mostly copied of Kripparian. If you go to his stream back log you will see his deck somewhere. He used to run earthen farseer and twilight drakes, but opted to drop them for shattered suns/scarlet crusaders and got dark irons for synergy with big game (he runs 2 big games). Otherwise I like the Naturalize/ooze/windrunner balance and control. looks like a really solid deck :)
Reply Quote
Shattered sun and Dark iron dwarf are great cards but I sort of make it a point with this deck to stray away from them. I'm getting pretty tired of these cards being everywhere! :p

Actually I crafted this druid deck with the idea of countering those cookie cutter beat down decks, and the other popular ones out-there (namely perma-frost and UTH hunters). I really want to out-meta all this stuff and of all the classes/archetypes I've tried this one is the best all-around counter. I think if I had to describe it in two words it would be versatile and robust.
Reply Quote
id drop twilight drake and bite for 2x pryromancer

perhaps also the azure drakes for yeti/ogre/novice engineer

but idk been awhile since last time i tinkered with druid, lvl 60 already so rather be lvling up other classes
Reply Quote
I havn't had many tests to play though with this deck. Only 2 priests. This deck is close to my deck, except you took out the standard harvest column, sun clerics for more heal/control. I kind of like it.

Only thing I switched was 2 starfire 1 argent instead of 2 argent 1 starfire. And took out the drake to add my black knight.

Kobold instead of Thalnos until I get him.
Reply Quote
Skaith: I used to run the Black Knight too but Taunt minions have fallen behind the current meta, I'll sure add him back if they make a come back! :)
As for the heal it really feels necessary at the moment, considering 75% of my opponents are aggro pal/lock/rouge or pew pew pyro mages. I wish it wasn't though!

ZloC: I like pyromancers but I don't quite see what good they could do me in this deck, could you give some examples of how it would enhance my deck? I'm genuinely curious. To me he's fantastic when you can buff his health but otherwise not that necessary, especially with all the removal druid have access to!
As for removing twilight drake and adding yeti, idk, my twilights are usually equal or better than a naked 4/5 and there are not that many silences in the current meta
Reply Quote
Skaith: I used to run the Black Knight too but Taunt minions have fallen behind the current meta, I'll sure add him back if they make a come back! :)
As for the heal it really feels necessary at the moment, considering 75% of my opponents are aggro pal/lock/rouge or pew pew pyro mages. I wish it wasn't though!

ZloC: I like pyromancers but I don't quite see what good they could do me in this deck, could you give some examples of how it would enhance my deck? I'm genuinely curious. To me he's fantastic when you can buff his health but otherwise not that necessary, especially with all the removal druid have access to!
As for removing twilight drake and adding yeti, idk, my twilights are usually equal or better than a naked 4/5 and there are not that many silences in the current meta

Hmmmm not sure how it is in the EU, but silences are everywhere at my top 3 masters I play at. And I generally get a lot of flack about the black knight. But even in my 2 games using your deck he won me a game.

Defender of Argus is quite common in your "rush" decks you spoke about. But I use the black knight often more on priests. 99.9% of the time they take my 4/6 druid of the claw taunt with mind control. In fact, I bait them for it. I tend to use the taunt instead of the charge if I"m holding a black knight.

Mind control the taunt, I black knight it, and never loss board control because MC takes a whole turn. I JUST did this for maybe the 20th time this morning with your deck against, yep a priest.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but my deck runs Mark of Natures so I can use those with the black night as well.......
Reply Quote
Very nice deck!

Very similar to mine, minus the fact I don't have all your cards!

Would be my druiddream deck.

Running a druid as a main, I can really see how you are having so much success with it.

Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote
You make me want to try the Black Knight again! Argus is indeed the only frequent "taunt". A few senjins / sunwalkers / druids of the claw here and there too.

As for silences, only control decks have room for it it seems. Maybe it's an EU thing though :)
Reply Quote
Where can I find hearthstone rank list for different regions? I constantly see people advertising their guides "XX region xx place deck"----Not to question your post, I'm just curious and I want to find out where do I place. Is there an official ranking site that I don't know of?

thanks .
Edited by Luxixi on 11/18/2013 10:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think if you go to homesite, there is a blog link or so.

@weebey

I don't know what to make of your deck. On one hand, I've won the last 15 or so games in a row. But on the other, I've faced mostly slow control decks. I can't believe I went 15 games with no Pally, Rogue, Warlock rush. (there was one warlock rush but he was bad).

The only change I made from your deck is.
-1 Argent Commander
+1 Starfire

-1 Twilight Drake
+1 Black Knight.

-1 Blood Mage Thalnos
+1 Kobold Geomancer (not by choice....... once I craft Blood mage i'll replace kobold)

You have opened my eyes to Earthen Farseer guy that heals for a control deck. Mages and Warrior rush decks have been easier. I still have gotten 2 or 3 free wins soley on Black Knight in my 15 runs I tested it in. All 3 times have been a defender of Argus.

I changed Starfire for Argent, because they both act like the 2 for 1 trade. You get a card and usually kill something with starfire. Argent commander usually kills 2 cards as well. Starfire gets the card engine moving to get to my Rag or late game finisher quicker. Also it can be the spell you need to top deck to trow to the face after rag hit them in lethal range. That's my reasoning for switching them.

If you don't have black knight i would run 2x argent commanders 2x starfire.
Reply Quote
I've added Black Knight and I'm pretty happy with it right now! To make room for it I removed Bite,i still need a little testing to see how it goes.

I hear you on the starfall but its price is really a pain, I keep one solely for drawing purpose really.

As for the top 50's here are the links (latest ones):
US: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/11650100/hearthstone%E2%84%A2-top-ranked-players-north-america-11-15-2013
EU: http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/11650100/hearthstone-top-ranked-players-europe-15-11-2013
Reply Quote
Know any good Sylvanas replacement? Still missing one but looking to try some fun druid decks :D
Reply Quote
Sylvanas is super niche, there isn't much replacement per se so I'd just pick one of those cards we've been removing and adding back like bite and starfire honnestly. Nothing brings the fun like good ol' Sylvanas alas :p
Edited by Weebey on 11/18/2013 11:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
ya she's proably gonna be my next card to make unless I some how get lucky -.-
Reply Quote
Hello,

Thank you for the deck. ^^
I have tried it and it is very good, it has the same classic cards as most other decks like Icarium's one, so there is a great synergy. :)

The Earthen Ring Farseer and Bite are really interesting, it's true that sometimes we feel the need for some kind of heal and the +5 heal of the Ancient of Lore is not always "enough". I don't have Sylvanas so I replaced her with a Faceless Manipulator, probably not optimal but it's a fun card and can potentially be great (hello I have 2 Rag on the board ^^).

I am still not sure about Naturalize, I tend to keep it in my hand against most opponents. It can be a life saver but giving 2 cards is not good. :s I fought some heavy draw decks, but I tend to prefer full control of the board, instead of letting them have one more draw and then Naturalize. I will keep it in the deck for now and see if I can use it properly...
Reply Quote
Yeah naturalize sucks half the time and saves your life for the other half. It's really a touchy one, I use it mostly on Ysera and on wombo combo priests when I have no other means to remove their 25/25. it could possible be replaced by yet another silence or possibly by a Tinkmaster (I may try that one, love the little gnome!)
Reply Quote
where do you see the top 50 eu rank?
Reply Quote
I've added Black Knight and I'm pretty happy with it right now! To make room for it I removed Bite,i still need a little testing to see how it goes.

I hear you on the starfall but its price is really a pain, I keep one solely for drawing purpose really.

As for the top 50's here are the links (latest ones):
US: ://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/11650100/hearthstone%E2%84%A2-top-ranked-players-north-america-11-15-2013
EU: ://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/11650100/hearthstone-top-ranked-players-europe-15-11-2013

Check out 2nd link Weebey posted.

Interesting alternatives to the deck Weebey. Similar to Skaith and Icurium and plays steady as well.

I do agree with TBK assessment. He's in almost all of the decks I build that how game shifting he is.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Thanks for posing decks that stay away from the current cookie cutter stuff. I too am tired of playing against the same decks over and over regardless of hero :).

Currently M3, but my win rate had dropped a good bit since rush decks became the rage and the one card that seemed to equalize that is Abominiation. I now run 2 in my control deck (cutting starfire) and it really slows down the game. The opponant is forced to waste a turn dealing with it and it splits their armies because they are more careful about playing too many minions.

You have this with the normal 2 swipes and 2 starfalls for a lot of board control.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]