Blood Imp bug?

I just fought a Lock who had 3 minions out. 2 of which had 3 health from the Blood Imp. I used Consecrate Which did 2 AoE damage and knocked the 3 HP minions to 1 and killed the Blood Imp.

Now, to my understanding, since the Blood Imp gives 1 HP and it died, shouldn't the other 2 have died as well since they don't have that extra HP? Needless to say they stayed at 1 HP.
Reply Quote
It's pretty well-known that auras granting health (Imps, Murloc Warleader) don't fade properly when the minion giving the aura leaves play. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Reply Quote
Ahh, this is the first time I have encountered this, or even heard of it. Thanks.
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 05:31 AMPosted by Moji
It's pretty well-known that auras granting health (Imps, Murloc Warleader) don't fade properly when the minion giving the aura leaves play. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

This is no bug. Damage is taken to the same time, the loss of an aura effect only decrease health up to the new max health. Its NOT magic the gathering in which you would lose as much health as the destroyed aura gave to you.
Edited by Calmon on 11/18/2013 5:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
Not a bug. Removing a buff only affects max hp, not current hp.
Adding an hp buff affects both max and current hp.

This is due to persistent damage, a heal is necessary with the buff.
Otherwise you would have to use resources to heal any minion after a buff to it's hp.
Reply Quote
The damage is calculated, before the buff is removed. Working as intended.
Reply Quote
Minions can't die from having their +HP buffs removed. Their health remains as is.
Reply Quote
This is not a bug. Hearthstone tracks minions' HP. MtG tracks minions' damage.

In MtG, minions heal HP after turns, so damage is placed as counters, which get removed. In Hearthstone, minions do not recover HP, so their HP are the counters, and the card only determines what the maximum number of counters they can have is. Think of it like this, and every interaction will make sense.
Reply Quote
Order's important here.

Consecrate goes out -> everything loses two health. 3 health mobs go to 1 hp, 1 health imp goes to -1

Imp's health is lower than 1 means it dies.

Aura fades 1 hp minion stays 1 hp, as 1 hp is less than max health.

In other words, there is no "damage" to a minion being tracked, only health.
Reply Quote
If this is indeed not a bug then health auras are incredibly broken and basically blank the already lackluster mass removal available. This game seems to do everything to promote matches ending on the 4th or 5th turn.
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 05:56 AMPosted by Calmon

This is no bug. Damage is taken to the same time, the loss of an aura effect only decrease health up to the new max health. Its NOT magic the gathering in which you would lose as much health as the destroyed aura gave to you.

my main issue is when i was just playing my warrior against a murloc deck, lock had a blood imp out (+1 hp) i use whirlwind (-1hp on ALL minions) imp dies everything else takes damage but is at "max" hp because all i did was one damage to the enemy imp? that is not good design it should keep track of damage in another way, as i could not execute old murkeye and thus lost because after the WW he was not damaged, if it minused max HP while keeping track of aura fades it would be nice, i can live with minions not dying due to aura fades, but to have a move countered so easy is not fun or engaging. in short damage should persist through aura fades but not kill minion is fine, blood imp giving up to 6 other minions immunity to 1 damage aoe cards is not
Reply Quote
11/23/2013 02:28 PMPosted by TheBull
lock had a blood imp out (+1 hp) i use whirlwind (-1hp on ALL minions) imp dies everything else takes damage but is at "max" hp

Wait you're upset because an ability that does 1 damage to minions didn't kill minions that had 2 HP? You're confusing me.

It's NOT magic the gathering
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 11:00 PMPosted by Moji
If this is indeed not a bug then health auras are incredibly broken and basically blank the already lackluster mass removal available. This game seems to do everything to promote matches ending on the 4th or 5th turn.

If it didn't work this way the Blood Imp would be nearly useless. Its entire purpose is preventing weak creatures from being easily removed as it usually buffs them just over the threshold of removal spells for the current number of mana crystals out.

Remember it can also work against you, as I found out with creatures that have Enrage. I cast a power overwhelming on a creature that gains +1 attack and windfury when enraged and had a blood imp and wild pyromancer out, so it killed the imp and I thought it would enrage the other creature, but it ended up at max health still.
Edited by Zoid on 11/28/2013 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/28/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Zoid

If it didn't work this way the Blood Imp would be nearly useless. Its entire purpose is preventing weak creatures from being easily removed as it usually buffs them just over the threshold of removal spells for the current number of mana crystals out.

Remember it can also work against you, as I found out with creatures that have Enrage. I cast a power overwhelming on a creature that gains +1 attack and windfury when enraged and had a blood imp and wild pyromancer out, so it killed the imp and I thought it would enrage the other creature, but it ended up at max health still.

But if the Blood Imp is removed, the aura is basically still active if the affected minions are damaged. This is what doesn't make any sense in terms of how the game tracks temporary health. It creates health out of thin air after it leaves play.
Reply Quote
11/29/2013 09:02 PMPosted by Moji
This is what doesn't make any sense in terms of how the game tracks temporary health. It creates health out of thin air after it leaves play.

It's almost like it IS magic. Only not that good kind, evil magics. DEMONIC EVEN!

Srus for a sec, it makes perfect sense in terms of how the game tracks temporary health. For example, I am a warlock playing against a Paladin. He's got a Stormwind Champion and a Silverhand recruit in play, and I'm tired or an idiot, and have a Siphion Soul and a Mortal Coil in hand. I Mortal Coil the Silverhand Recurit (who is currently a 2/2). Derp, 1 Damage fails to kill him, leaving him as a 2/1. I siphion soul the Champion, instantly killing him, and removing his buff. The Recruit is now a 1/1. His 'bonus' Health was lost first, just as in the case of Whirlwind vs the Blood Imp, the bonus Health of the others is lost, then the blood imp dies (since the damage is all dealt at the same time). The effects of the damage then resolve, removing the buff. And honestly, as a warlock, I hate any time someone whirlwinds -just- to get a Blood Imp. It's a whirlwind well spent. Because that is the only sure shot your getting at that blood imp. Otherwise is cleave gambles.
Reply Quote
Correct. The bonus health was lost first. But since the champion is no longer in play and the recruit is damaged but still alive, he's essentially benefiting from half of the champion's aura, though the champion is no longer in play. I understand how the game treats auras I just don't agree with it... saying that as a warlock/Blood Imp player myself.
Edited by Moji on 11/30/2013 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
As a Warlock player you surely realize that if this was changed, that we'd pretty much be screwed completely in regards to class creatures that are usable, right? Right now he's propping us up so much, where most of the other class cards are either meh or worse more destructive to yourself than the opponent.
Reply Quote
Bonus health is removed first.

This is how nearly every online and table top game addresses bonus health.

It's not that hard to understand.
Reply Quote
11/30/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Greywind
As a Warlock player you surely realize that if this was changed, that we'd pretty much be screwed completely in regards to class creatures that are usable, right? Right now he's propping us up so much, where most of the other class cards are either meh or worse more destructive to yourself than the opponent.

I agree, but I don't like justifying a silly and broken mechanic with that argument. Our other class cards are bad and need changes. Temporary health auras need changes as well.

Bonus health is removed first.

This is how nearly every online and table top game addresses bonus health.

It's not that hard to understand.

I intentionally ignored your first reply. I guess it's hard to get a clue. To give you a little attention: The only games that treat temp buffs this way are MMO's. Before DnD was dumbed down, the health was lost when the spell faded. If your constitution was changed, you lost/gained hp immediately as well. In M:tG damage is tracked over health, so creatures would die if they took lethal after an aura was gone. Why? Because it makes sense and doesn't promote awkward play. Stay copper my friend.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]