Regarding Stormforged Axe

Amongst my most played classes are the Shaman and Warrior.

While I realise the balance of all classes should be considered as a whole rather than by specific cards I find the Stormforged Axe particularly poor when compared with Fiery War Axe considering how similar they are.

Almost in all cases I'd rather have a Fiery in hand than a Stormforged. Fiery hits for more, it comes with no overload penalty, using this card and the subsequent overload can really hinder early tempo and with the Shamans lack of any real healing the need to hit more often with smaller weapons is especially painful (and the outright killing of three health minions not an option at all with one swing).

Personally I'd like to see the overload cost on this particular card removed or perhaps 3/3 with the overload cost.
Edited by Interference on 11/20/2013 4:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Interesting.

For some reason, I always thought that both Stormforged Axe and Fiery War Axe had the same cost at 2 mana. It seemed reasonable since one is a 2/3 and the other is a 3/2.

But apparently I was wrong... an overload charge tacked onto Stormforged for no reason? It's especially ludicrous given the fact that the opponent will almost always throw down the ooze after the initial swing.

I get that Warriors is a weapon-heavy class but still... seems like a lazy way to penalize the Shammys.
Reply Quote
On first glance I also assumed the mana cost for these weapons would be the same. I find the overload cost really does out a considerable dent in keeping up with tempo, especially considering the awful aggro meta we currently have.
Reply Quote
I think it's a bit meta dependent. When Shaman had totem healing to mitigate weapon damage + less early 3 health minions were played, it was a really solid card. Now that 3 health is more popular (Cleric, Worgen, Shattered Sun, Voidwalker, etc) and every point of health your hero takes matters, I'd actually rather have a Rockbiter in my hand than Stormforged most of the time. Before the beta patch it was honestly an amazing card and by giving Shaman efficient healing (ie: not cards that do nothing but heal) you won't need to change it.
Reply Quote
Indeed.
Reply Quote
11/20/2013 03:07 PMPosted by dmcAxle
giving Shaman efficient healing (ie: not cards that do nothing but heal) you won't need to change it.

+1
Reply Quote
I keep one in my deck, I'm fine with the overload charge because it helps with Unbound Elementals,

However I do think +1 attack to it's current state would be nice, especially when comparing to the similar warrior weapon.

I don't think it is a necessity to change, however I did just start playing post-beta patch.
Reply Quote
it isnt too weak, fiery war axe is simply way too powerful.
Reply Quote
In the current meta, Stormforged Axe is actually very powerful and the Overload cost is warranted.

Since most creatures that your opponent will play in the first 3 turns can be dealt with using either the axe on its own, or attacking with the axe and one of your weaker creatures, it lets you get complete board control.

As it currently stands, it's pretty much a 3-for-1, making it even better than Fiery War Axe.
Reply Quote
In the current meta, Stormforged Axe is actually very powerful and the Overload cost is warranted.

Since most creatures that your opponent will play in the first 3 turns can be dealt with using either the axe on its own, or attacking with the axe and one of your weaker creatures, it lets you get complete board control.

As it currently stands, it's pretty much a 3-for-1, making it even better than Fiery War Axe.

Except that also in the current meta, ASO (Acidic Swamp Ooze) is pretty much standard for 1 (if not 2) in every deck. Fiery war axe suffers less because it's usually used immediately for 3 damage, meaning if it gets oozed, it's lost only 1/2 of if's apparent value (2 attacks).

By that same token, if you ooze a Stormforged Axe, after it's first use, the shaman loses out on 2 turns of damage AND still has the 1 overload penalty to deal with.

It's also not nearly as powerful since the beta patch since they removed healing totem affecting the hero as well. Without that slight healing totem mitigation to help nullify the use of weapons, shaman became weaker overall. (at least weapon-based shaman, spell based shaman are still quite strong).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]