Im sure its all over the place but....priests man.

Playing against a priest once with any other class honestly makes me not want to play this game. I'm serious. Its usually an equal fight if not against a priest but playing against one, literally every time, they have cards that counter just about everything perfectly for almost no mana cost. Played one today....lost....turned the game off.

My ideas would be, if you're gonna give them so many "free damage" cards that do so much damage in the first place, don't make them cost a mere 2 mana.
1 Mind control per deck. Make the shadow words either cost more or have less in a deck and for the love of god man the heals are literally endless. C'mon now.
Reply Quote
They're an annoying class if they have an insane starting hand. But their strength as a class is actually pretty deceiving when you compare them to what every other class is capable of. It's that some of their strongest cards are given to you through basics rather than having to find them through packs (like rogues for example have all their best cards as rares).

At some point when there are enough "good" players, you'll see some crying over rogues, paladins, warlocks rather than all the mage/priest QQ.
Reply Quote
the only thing i am really annoyed with for priests is mind control, which bliz already acknowledged needs to be adjusted.. other than that i dont really have an issue with them. and if you plan for MC, its not really that bad.. just annoying.
Reply Quote
True story, I forced a MC out of a priest to MC a 3/3 with taunt Silver Hand recruit. It was epic. He died 2 turns later because of that, but it was worth it :p
Reply Quote
How many 1 drops do you have in your deck? If priests are giving you problems, the answer is likely - not enough. Learning to deal with priests at lower level will help with dealing with all classes at higher levels. At anything higher than diamond, I think priests lose more often than they win.
Reply Quote
MC isn't game breaking in competitive constructed play because it already is too slow.

Even if it is 'overpowered' it is just a good spell on an underpowered class.

Real aggro decks end the game before MC can even start to turn it around.

The only deck MC is really good against is druid control. (druid aggro is so much better than druid control...with druid of the claw...it is like having 4 argent commanders in your deck)

Even the druid control decks are finally starting to stop putting the 8/8 taunt creature for 8 mana in their decks if they can't counter their own card...gasp!

In arena, MC is overpowered.
You make a crappy deck out of random cards and it sucks when your best one gets taken, I understand that...yet I do not care because arena is an RNG fest already.

Edit: All that being said...I still think MC should be moved to 9 mana. Ten mana is way way too much. MC is perceived to be alot stronger than what it actually is.
Edited by Telos on 11/21/2013 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
i think priest is one of the weaker classes, but it's very cool so many people play them.
it is the one of two classes that feels natural using any natural minions unlike other classes that usually pick a type of minions.

and while it might seem it has so much removal, there is only 30cards in deck, they cant have every single one...
Reply Quote
Priests have a thing for MC legendaries. Last knight, one of them MC my Black Knight (effectively just a Yeti), and put power word sheild on it.

Next turn I drop Ragnaros and it hits the black knight killing it.

He Mind Control's my Ragnaros

I Big Game Hunter my Rag, play some minions, and next turn drop my Ysera.

The trick is to outsmart them, because Mind control pretty much takes up their turn.

After Ysera dropped, he left the game.
Reply Quote
Priests in a nut shell

Bad players can play Priest Net Decks with ease (against other bad players) since most priest decks are just face roll and straight forward.

Good players avoid priests in M3* because priests tend to get stomped. Most of the Priest cards are useless against silence.

Really good players can play Priest Bounce Control in M3* and have a high win %, but they are still playing with a disadvantage since priests have a hard time against aggro decks.

The "combos" with huge minion buffs are terrible. People that use them are bad. Again only a problem in lower brackets. Little Timmy decks don't get used much in M3* and when they do they get stomped.

MC is a problem, but only against bad players for the most part. The card itself isn't nearly as good as people think. I do agree it needs a rework simply because it wins on it's own in the lower brackets. Silence breaking it would stop the problem I hope (but doubt in lower brackets).

Cleric needs a rework, it's the real OP priest card.

TL:DR Priests are good when used by really good players, and seem amazing when used against bad players. Average against most players. All that said, I still think the class needs a rework so the people below M3* stop complaining.
Reply Quote
Anything with under 4 damage- shadow word: pain, holy smite, cabal shadow priest, madness
Anything with over 5 damage- mind control or death
Medium creature- holy fire
A large number of creatures- holy nova or auchenai soulpriest+ circle of healing
Spells- endless heals

TL;dr: You're not allowed to play creatures or spells vs a priest.
Edited by Silver on 11/21/2013 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, I think priests will be much more in line with others once MC's cost is increased. That being said, the O.P. has a point about some of the other cards.

Take for example Shadow Word: Death. By itself, the card is not reeeeeally overpowered. Some comparables might be Hex (3mana), Polymorph(4mana), Deadlyshot(3 mana).

When you consider that most priests have 4 removal cards between Pain and Death in their decks, it can be a bit slanted depending on the card draws, especially in the mid-game.

*A funny story - I was playing against another priest a couple of days ago - Rag was placed on the board. We both MC'd him twice each, vollying his 8 damage back and forth. I came up with the win very narrowly >.<*
Reply Quote
Anything with under 4 damage- shadow word: pain, holy smite, cabal shadow priest, madness
Anything with over 5 damage- mind control or death
Medium creature- holy fire
A large number of creatures- holy nova or auchenai soulpriest+ circle of healing
Spells- endless heals

TL;dr: You're not allowed to play creatures or spells vs a priest.

Sure you can.
Faerie Dragon
Dark Iron Dwarf
Spellbreaker
Argent Commander
Azure Drake
Twilight Drake

Throw in some Shattered sun clerics, and maybe some 2 attack creatures you can buff with the dwarves. The priest's bane is 4 attack minions, it just so happens that they are some of the best minions in the game as well so you won't be weakening your deck.
Reply Quote
lol people just need to play around the priest spells, for example carefullying buffing their minions so that it's in the sweetspot; 4 attack damage to avoid SW:P/SW:D, only play big minions IF you can deal with it when it get mind controlled...

Pretty simple
Reply Quote
My two cents on why priests prompt so much angst and fury is because they exacerbate the feeling of loss of control in a game why RNG dominates so much already.

Not only do they take your cards, keeping you second guessing for the rest of the game, MC also amplifies the feeling that the game is out of your control. Contrast that with almost every other game, granting control to the player is something that most systems strive to.

Card games aren't that mainstream IMO and Hearthstone will attract a crowd that has never played a game where quite often, no matter how hard you try, no matter how much effort you put in, sometimes you will lose. That's unusual for many other gamers.

As for Priests, I'd prefer if their card copying spells only copied cards in your hand, not your whole deck. Otherwise it feels like its way too much of a variance to keep track off. If I've successfully baited out two nova's should I really second guess myself for the rest of the game for the possible flamestrike?

And personally I'd also prefer a change to the Shadow cards. They aren't horrible but its not fun when most of my decks are centered around the same cards simply to avoid them because of how prevalent priests are. What's the point of having multiple decks then?

TL;DR

The game already is quite often a source of frustration to folks, priests seemed to be built around amplifying that.
Edited by Logical on 11/21/2013 11:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
The problem with the priest is they have WAY too many GOOD cards that are above par with what the other 8 classes have. off the top of my head they have,
2 5 damage cards for 2 mana ( mage has 6 dmg for 8?)
2 cards that deal 5 dmg to anything and heal your hero 5,
2 mind control,
2 destroy any card 3 dmg and under,
2 cards destroy any card 5 dmg and over,
2 cards that boost your minion health 2 and draw a card for 1 mana
2 cards that double minion health
2 cards that make your minion atk = to its hp
2 cards that are 1/3 and let you draw whenever a minion is healed and only costs 1 mana
2 cards that heal all your characters and deal 2 dmg to all other characters (again costing nearly s little as an arcane explosion)
2 cards that silence all enemy minons for 4 mana (great for those players using lots of taunts and boosts
2 cards that come out 5/5 for 4 mana and the more you boost their hp the higher their attack gets too
2 free silences
2 6/6/6 and + 3 minion hp

thats way more GREAT USEFUL anytime cards that arent very situational. comapred to other classes the priest has SOOO MANY good cards its rediculous. IDK who thought up the cards for each class bu tthey should be fired because it isnt anywhere near balanced.
Reply Quote
Rogue will be your next target to QQ. Be prepare for that young man
Reply Quote
11/21/2013 01:15 PMPosted by GhostDragon
2 5 damage cards for 2 mana ( mage has 6 dmg for 8?)

Mind Blast targets ONLY the enemy hero, and cannot be used to remove minions, so it cannot be compared to Fireball in anyway shape or form. Other than that, Fireball does not cost 8 mana.

2 cards that deal 5 dmg to anything and heal your hero 5

Yup, and based on other cards, it's budgeted correctly at 6 mana cost.

2 mind control

Undoubtedly strong cards, but nowhere near as broken as a lot make it out to be, can be worked around with smart deck building and, crucially, smart play, and is getting nerfed anyway.

2 destroy any card 3 dmg and under,
2 cards destroy any card 5 dmg and over,

The Shadow Word cards are basically any other classes hard removal, split into two that cover certain, non-overlapping ranges of minions, one has a very narrow period of play, and they also have a potentially crippling blind spot. SW:D could perhaps use it's mana cost tweaking upwards some, but other than that, they're fine.

2 cards that boost your minion health 2 and draw a card for 1 mana

Yeah it's potentially strong, but they are generally used on minions with passives, such as NSC, or Taunts, which means that that minion becomes even more susceptible to silence, and if you do silence it off, you've got an even more efficient trade.

2 cards that double minion health
2 cards that make your minion atk = to its hp

These are pretty much only used in combination, and the combo is gimmicky at best, with decks built around them being subpar and only playable if either (a) you're really lucky and pull all the correct cards out, or (b) you're playing against scrub. Given how many cards you have to pump into a minion for this combo to work, it also means, much like PW:S, that it is incredibly susceptible to silence, and one single silence can basically ruin any potential a Priest buff deck has.

2 cards that are 1/3 and let you draw whenever a minion is healed and only costs 1 mana

Budgeted the same as other, comparable class specific 1 drop 1/3s, the effect is not even guaranteed to go off, the minion can be cleared out without too much trouble, and it's a 1 drop that needs to be saved to mid game to be of any reliable use.

2 cards that heal all your characters and deal 2 dmg to all other characters (again costing nearly s little as an arcane explosion)

Arcane Explosion costs 2 mana, Holy Nova costs 5, so no, it does not cost "nearly as little". Arcane Explosion also synergises with mage decks, as they tend to run with more +SD minions than Priests; Holy Nova's synergy lies in the heal aspect for Priests. It is a strong AoE clear, it is in no way a broken AoE clear.

2 cards that silence all enemy minons for 4 mana (great for those players using lots of taunts and boosts

Barely anyone runs this, because a 4 cost card that gives no tempo boost and not much control boost is difficult to play. You'll see the odd one, but mostly for the card draw on top of the silence, or for the rare occasion when an enemy spams taunt and boosted minions.

2 cards that come out 5/5 for 4 mana and the more you boost their hp the higher their attack gets too

Oh look, drop a silence on them, and they are worthless. Or, you can chip away at them with your disposable minions, and, would you look at that, their attack drops as their health does too! Amazing, that is.

2 free silences

Very niche card, and in most situations, an owl/spellbreaker will be better because it gives you a minion, and thus more board control, at the same time. The only time silence is better is when you want to play it in a round where you don't have enough mana for the other 2.

2 6/6/6 and + 3 minion hp

Decent minion, not overly strong, but solid enough. Budgeted exactly the same as Shaman Fire Elemental, with the +3 HP replacing the 3 free damage (which is almost always more beneficial).

Basically, what I'm saying here is: you're talking out of your backside, and (purposefully?) twisting or flat out misrepresenting cards to make them sound stronger than they are/their counterparts weaker than they are.
Reply Quote
wait till people start consistently runnin pyromancer and priest's 4 mana flamestrike

there will be even moar qq
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]