Clove's Shaman Deck, 3*** Masters Guranteed

Sharing my shaman deck that I have had much success with that fits with the meta that we have today. Here is my deck list:

2 Lightning Bolt
2 Rockbiter Weapon
2 Argent Squire
2 Flametongue totem
2 Novice Engineer
2 Stormforged Axe
2 Hex
2 Harvest Golem
2 Lightning Storm
2 Shattered Cleric
2 Dark Iron Dwarf
2 Azure Drake
1 Sylvanas Windrunner
2 Argent Commander
2 Fire Elemental
1 Ragnaros

Early Game

You want to establish board control as soon as possible. Having an argent squire, Shattered Sun Cleric, Flametongue totem(I will explain reason why Flametongue will be good at start) Novice Engineer to be buffed, Harvest Golem, and removal cards(Storm Forged axe, Rockbiter, Lightning bolt) in your starting hand. The ideal way to start is to buff your Argent Squire, Novice Engineer, or a summon totem with a shattered sun cleric, flame tongue totem, and Dark Iron Dwarf all while removing the opponent's minions with your strong removal guards removal. Always try to make your opponent play from behind.

Why play Flametongue Totem in the first few turns?

Playing Flametongue Totem on turn 2 or turn 3 can bring good results as long as you buff the minion the turn it's played. Or ideally, buff you're Argent Squire with Flametongue Totem to take out that unsuspecting 2 mana drop minion that you're opponent played. At this point your opponent will be heavily distracted and be forced to deal with the Flametongue Totem early on, wasting a removal card on turn 3 and will have no mana left to put down a minion. If he chooses to put down a minion instead of using a removal card to get rid of the totem, use your removal cards to protect your totem as much as you can all while putting down more minions since Rockbiter and Lightning Bolt only cost one mana so you should have enough to at least summon a totem. Afterwards you want to play as aggressively as you can to maximize the value of the Flametongue Totem.

Mid Game/Late Game

If you managed to lockdown board control midgame you're already most likely going to win. If you find yourself behind or evenly matched, no worries you still got some bags of tricks up your sleeves.Lighting storm is of course your go to board clear and can be a huge game changer if played at the right time. Argent Commander and Fire Elementals are terrific cards to reestablish board control and bring back the momentum in your favor due to their excellent removal ability.

Sylvanas Windrunner can be a game winner, forcing your opponent to suicide all of his minions to avoid the mind control, giving you a chance to reestablish board control. If she is ignored, she is still just as monstrous for a 5/5 stats are good for a 5 mana drop, and your opponent will be forced to avoid playing his stronger minions to avoid the risk of it being mind controlled. Azure Drake is a fantastic 5 mana drop that gives you the spell power to augment your removal cards all while drawing another card from your deck. Also Stormforged Axe combined with Rockbiter can give you that five damage you may need to get rid of a pesky 4-5 health minion, because of this combo I left out Lava Burst. And feel free to combine Rockbiter with your lower level minions such as Argent Squire, Harvest Golem, Novice Engineer, or maybe even a totem to get rid of one of their stronger minions.

Ragnaros is you're finisher, especially when you establish board control. Playing this card at the right time means death for your opponent. One of the best legendaries in the game.

To be continued!

In my next edits I will mention alternatives, other shaman cards and options. I realize not everyone might not have a Sylvanas or a Ragnaros but I urge you to get these cards quickly because they fit so well in many different types of decks. Feel free to comment on my deck and if you have any concerns I will address them shortly. Other than that, try out my deck!
Edited by Clove on 11/25/2013 10:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
doesn't really seem that fast/aggro of a deck considering 8/30 are 5+ cost cards and 12/30 are 4+ cost ones

you also put harvest golem four times

thoughts on choosing lava burst over a forked lightning or lightning storm? seems like the cheaper aoe spells would get you more mileage considering your mana curve is later than most aggro decks, so early/cheap board clears should be favored
Reply Quote
doesn't really seem that fast/aggro of a deck considering 8/30 are 5+ cost cards and 12/30 are 4+ cost ones

you also put harvest golem four times

thoughts on choosing lava burst over a forked lightning or lightning storm? seems like the cheaper aoe spells would get you more mileage considering your mana curve is later than most aggro decks, so early/cheap board clears should be favored

Sorry about that, made some mistakes on the deck list and corrected them. Also yeah this deck isn't as fast as other aggro decks i.e. murlock deck or aggro warlock but the playstyle is somewhat identical.
Edited by Clove on 11/25/2013 10:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sharing my semi aggro deck that I have had much success with to fit more to the meta that we have today. Here is my deck list:

1 Lighting Bolt
2 Rockbiter Weapon
2 Argent Squire
2 Flametongue totem
2 Novice Engineer
2 Knife Juggler
1 Faerie Dragon
2 Hex
2 Harvest Golem
2 Lightning Storm
2 Shattered Cleric
2 Dark Iron Dwarf
1 Defender of Argus
1 Doom Hammer
1 Sylvanas Windrunner
2 Argent Commander
2 Fire Elemental
1 Ragnaros

Sampled this deck by playing only 30 rank games(3 stars masters of course) as of this moment where I loss five games total, statistics as followed:

W/L:
Mages: 5/2
Rogue: 3/2
Warlock: 2/0
Warrior: 1/0
Shaman: 1/0
Paladin: 2/0
Priest: 6/0
Hunter: 3/1
Druid: 2/0

Will edit this post in the future with more information, quite busy at the moment. If you have any comments or concerns regarding this deck please post and I will address them shortly. Other than that, try out my deck!

Great deck! Thanks for posting. I've been playing a variation of this deck with lots of success; however, I've made some minor changes.

I don't own a Sylvanas, so that's out.

I took out one Argent Commander and one Defender of Argus in exchange for two Earth Elementals. Defender of Argus is too situational for my liking, but maybe I need to give it another chance. My guess is that you feel the same way, because you only run one in the deck.

With regard to Argent Commander, I love the card as much as the next person, but where Argent Commander can be a life saver, Earth Elemental is a game changer. In particular, I find that if I go second, and I have an EE in my starting hand, I'll save the extra crystal for a turn 4 EE drop (depending on my opponent). If you're bleeding to a rushdown deck, it applies a tourniquet. If you've lost board control, it will even the playing field.

And just in general, late game, I'd rather draw an EE than a Argent Commander. You may lose charge, but whatever minion you were going to charge is going to have to break through a 7/8 anyway.

I took out two knife jugglers in exchange for two forked lightening. I don't know if this is the right call, but I've just been in too many positions where I'm DYING for an AOE.

I put in an extra Faerie Dragon. Just a great card all around.

Another card I'm looking at is Flame totem. I feel it's really only worth playing when you already have board control. And if that's the case, then I'm not sure its worth the mana. Yes, it distracts my opponent for a turn, but so would a knife juggler.

What are your thoughts on my changes and totem?

EDIT: I also noticed that a previous version of the deck you posted had a lava burst. I've gone back and forth on lava burst. Ultimately, I still run one because I see it as a 5 cost hex.
Edited by Drbad on 11/25/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Glad you like my deck, as you can see through my constant small minor edits as I'm always testing this deck to see how it goes. I've tried alot of the things you mentioned way before I even made this topic, but here are my thoughts:

-Earth Elemental is a great card, but played at turn five can be very risky. Because usually after you play it at turn five, a good majority of removal cards will become available to your opponent (Assassinate, Soul Siphon, Polymorph, Hex, Shadow Word, etc.) so you'll get harshly punished for playing EE if it is removed all while suffering from the three overload that gets carried over. So for me personally I just find it to be too risky, but at the very least it is a good card to slow down aggro rush and can be a nightmare for OTK Hunter decks which I would win 100% of the time against them when I did ran EE and feral spirits in my deck. So you're absolutely right when you said that EE is a game changer, for better or worse.

-Tried forked light recently and I personally don't like it, The 2 overload really kills it for me so whenever I find myself in a tough spot and I do end up using it early on, my opponent just ends up putting down more minions leaving me crippled from the 2 overload. Instead I tried stormforged axe and I've been getting great results making my opponent think twice before dropping a minion early in the game and allowing me to have a great start. So in the end I went with stormforged axe for early control to avoid the situation of getting overwhelmed later in the game.

-Faerie Dragon is a great card, but I put it in their as an option to deal with mages, ultimately I found the results to be unsatisfactory due to arcane missle killing my Faerie Dragon. I ended up taking it out to make room for other cards, but don't get me wrong I still think Faerie Dragon is a great card but I never really find it necessary for me personally as I still manage to do great early game without it. If you think it Faerie Dragon largely impacts your victories then by all means leave it in.

-I really like flametongue totem, the buff it provides to your minions are excellent and like you said it does distract the opponent making them waste a removal. I usually end up using flametongue totem within the first few turns combining it Novice Engineer or Argent Squire where afterwards my opponent is forced to waste his turn removing it. After that, I usually gain more momentum afterwards for his wasted turn and establish better board control.

-Kept one Defender of Argus, but whenever I run two I had a hard time maximizing the value of the second one which usually gets wasted on just buffing one minion.

Anyways I'm glad you liked my deck. Feel free to add more feedback and try to get a Sylvanus Windrunner whenever you can, that card is one of the best legendaries as it will always give you great results. I also made some changes again so again feel free to comment
Edited by Clove on 11/25/2013 7:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Problem with using turn 4+Coin to drop Earth Elemental is that you are already in removal range.

Earth element is a FANTASTIC card to use removal on because it hits you for overload hard. (3 Overload)

So if you play it turn 4, they just use their turn 4 to Sheep, Hex. And turns 5-6 include other hard removals as well. It's unfortunately that it's at 5 mana, because that's the range where all the removals come into play.
Reply Quote
With regard to EE, I understand your reservations about dropping it turn five for sure. That's why I take it class by class. Generally, I don't see a lot of rogues running assassinate, and against warriors, hunters and warlocks it can be very effective.

That being said, I still maintain it's a much stronger drop in the late game. I can think of very few situations where I'd rather have an Argent Commander.

I'll try stormforged axe, but in the past I've found it to be less effective than fork lightening.

Thoughts on Lava Burst? Like I said, I've come to see it as a high cost hex, which can be a life saver late game when you're vying for that final control of the board. Not to mention I've won quite a few games with it, i.e., it was the last card I needed to kill my opponent. Unclear how many times it's actually been the difference maker in a close game tho.

Edit: No doomhammer now? Dafuq?

Second Edit: I know I'm in the minority on this, but I hate Azure Drakes. I just find them underwhelming. By the time they drop, the +spellpower is negligible for shamans. The card draw is nice, but I'd rather drop an EE, which as I've mentioned, can often be the beginning of the end for them.
Edited by Drbad on 11/25/2013 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
With regard to EE, I understand your reservations about dropping it turn five for sure. That's why I take it class by class. Generally, I don't see a lot of rogues running assassinate, and against warriors, hunters and warlocks it can be very effective.

That being said, I still maintain it's a much stronger drop in the late game. I can think of very few situations where I'd rather have an Argent Commander.

I'll try stormforged axe, but in the past I've found it to be less effective than fork lightening.

Thoughts on Lava Burst? Like I said, I've come to see it as a high cost hex, which can be a life saver late game when you're vying for that final control of the board. Not to mention I've won quite a few games with it, i.e., it was the last card I needed to kill my opponent. Unclear how many times it's actually been the difference maker in a close game tho.

Edit: No doomhammer now? Dafuq?

Second Edit: I know I'm in the minority on this, but I hate Azure Drakes. I just find them underwhelming. By the time they drop, the +spellpower is negligible for shamans. The card draw is nice, but I'd rather drop an EE, which as I've mentioned, can often be the beginning of the end for them.

You're absolutely right about EE, it is an excellent late game drop and can be used as an alternative over Azure Drake if you dislike it. Azure Drake though is a very good card, the extra card draw is nice plus the spell power combined with lightning storm and lightning bolt is nice too all while being a 4/4 minion. But EE is a great alternative if you feel like you don't need the card draw or spell power that Azure Drake provides

Yes I know, Lava burst is now gone from my deck currently. It has too brought me many uses, but replaced it for the sake of another early removal card to establish early board control. Also, I find that Stormforged Axe+ Rockbiter has brought me satisfying results in situations where I usually use my Lava Burst to maintain board control.

Another point, yes I removed Doomhammer from my deck. I know, that card is fun as hell and good to use especially with Rockbiter for that whopping 10 damage. But alas I could not find it helpful enough to reestablish board control at turn 5 because at this point stronger minions are at play so I can't really attack them with Doomhammer unless I risk taking huge damage. Late game wise Doom Hammer is excellent, but instead I chose to go with another early game removal card such as Stormforged Axe. I felt that I personally needed it in order to lockdown early game as much as possible. I'm quite comfortable mid to late game where I really feel I don't need and can win without it. But by all means if this card is an absolute game changer in your deck and brings you consistent result then keep it in your deck. For me though, I wasn't to get consistent results from Doomhammer.

I know I went through alot of edits, but with this composition I manage to beat Kithros Rogue copy cats decks, Mage control and aggro, Warlock Aggro Rush, on a much more consistent basis where I find myself very rarely losing. But if you find your edits giving you great results as well, then just stick with your gut and go with it.
Edited by Clove on 11/25/2013 9:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I think you may be right about Doomhammer, but I'm not sure. One thing I like about it is just how damn consistent it is. Drop it on turn five and it's pretty much guaranteed to result in 4 damage going out every turn after that (assuming no monster taunters in your way, which there shouldn't be because of hex).

Have you ever tried running Demolisher? I haven't tried it yet, but it may fit very well with this deck. It's a three drop that will undoubtedly distract your opponent. Moreover, if RNG goes your way there is a chance it'll just wreak havoc on enemy minions. However, not sure if it's better than a cleric. Would likely depend on the situation.

Edit: Another idea to play around with: Faceless Manipulator. Two Ragnaroses wuttttttttt.
Edited by Drbad on 11/25/2013 11:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]