Mages are so broken on so many levels.

(Locked)

I can run 2 pyroblasts, 2 fireballs then go

frost nova, cone of cold, frostbolt, blizzard, archmage flamestrike.

then chuck in some spell power creatures or just weenies to deal with early game.

You can never attack because your board is always frozen and the turn you dont get frozen you get pyroblasted and the following turn it happens again.... game over.

No creature you play can kill them unless you get extremely lucky so the only way to deal with this deck is mass healing/ decking them or having the same deck but getting the dmg earlier.

tldr mages are OP, the only counter is mass healing decks or other mage decks.
mage is the most annoying class currently; I rather play 20 priest in a row then deal with mage like you describe in master3.
I agree mages are OP. They dominate the board and starve their opponent of tempo far too easily, especially when considering that strategy is a means to an abrupt end of spell damage nukes.

But the deck you just described loses to other direct damage decks, and that isn't limited to just mages.

The problem is that other direct damage decks aren't nearly as effective on the average board control deck as Mage's are. Even though they can be countered to a certain degree, its not nearly enough of a hard counter to justify their strength against more common archetypes.
even the worm mirror image decks are annoying since the mirror image buff
My only complaint is the 2 mana, 3 damage freeze bolt. I think its too cheap, that's just my opinion though.
Mages are sitting on their cards (Hunter's UTH style) and just using hero power and fireballs to finish off your initial attacks.
Flush your big play lineup with a flamestrike or 2 and you're already card starved.

Stop designing the game to match WoW too much blizzard
Mages are sitting on their cards (Hunter's UTH style) and just using hero power and fireballs to finish off your initial attacks.
Flush your big play lineup with a flamestrike or 2 and you're already card starved.

Stop designing the game to match WoW too much blizzard

this
well silence works on freeze but its currently the only counter to it and it also means debuffing ur own minion.
who runs more then 2 silence in their deck.
maybe frozen targets gain immunity to freeze? WoW has CC (crowd control) diminishing returns, this could apply here. Minions cant be frozen for 2 turns in a row, or 3 if you want.
thank god some one else finally realised mages are broken.... and they call priests op >.<

OTK UTH decks i can counter with taunts, shamans iwth the bloodlust play ive learned to counter as well. priests are basically nothing imo (i main a priest so i know how to beat a priest ^^)

my only annoyance in this game are the OP paladins and mages... druids are fine unless they drop a coin and 2 innervates and play a 6 odd mana card at turn 1 and then u just concede :)
this isn't wow.... diminishing returns wont work in a card game. they will figure out the kinks, etc... its still beta, yawn yada yada yawn.
the main problem is their CC along side their 1 damage hero power to finish off injured minions.
Just offering some advise against control mages - I play the class a lot in masters and lose to just about any class that knows how to handle my spells.

It's quite easy to beat a control mage, you just need to play differently. If you rush every minion you have on the board you will likely lose.

The control mage wins when they can clear multiple minions with few spells, and use their single target spells on the opposing hero.

The mage loses when they are forced to clear 1 or 2 minions with aoe type spells, and are then forced to use direct spells against further minions.

So it's an easy formula, you have to sustain soft pressure but not go all out early. Try and control the board with only 1 or 2 minions active at end of turn until you forced their aoe's out, then go hard.

In most cases if you've force a mage to use fireball (or even better pyro) on a minion you have pretty much won, because they have a limited supply of fire power they can throw to your face.
Just offering some advise against control mages - I play the class a lot in masters and lose to just about any class that knows how to handle my spells.

It's quite easy to beat a control mage, you just need to play differently. If you rush every minion you have on the board you will likely lose.

The control mage wins when they can clear multiple minions with few spells, and use their single target spells on the opposing hero.

The mage loses when they are forced to clear 1 or 2 minions with aoe type spells, and are then forced to use direct spells against further minions.

So it's an easy formula, you have to sustain soft pressure but not go all out early. Try and control the board with only 1 or 2 minions active at end of turn until you forced their aoe's out, then go hard.

In most cases if you've force a mage to use fireball (or even better pyro) on a minion you have pretty much won, because they have a limited supply of fire power they can throw to your face.

Tried this. With CoC, blizzard, frost nova, sheep, and flamestrike they can keep me locked down just fine until they drop 2 pyros into my face on successive turns, followed by a fireball or 2 to finish me off. I saw it coming from turn 1 and could do nothing against it.

Tried this. With CoC, blizzard, frost nova, sheep, and flamestrike they can keep me locked down just fine until they drop 2 pyros into my face on successive turns, followed by a fireball or 2 to finish me off. I saw it coming from turn 1 and could do nothing against it.

word! so many times ive baited pyroblasts and fireballs onto minions.... but then i dont have any minions left to play to take the hero out lulz.
Im really not sure whether this is a serious thread or not. Control mages are by far the easiest opponent to beat. Sure they might win occasionally by top decking a pyroblast when there iceblock prevented there demise the turn before, but every class is capable of BS wins.

The only players i can see losing to this are those that drop everything they can before turn 7 and then wonder why they get flamestriked.
flamestruck? flamestircken? flamestroked? oh well xD
I played a game against a Mage today where I could of won if he didn't freeze me using all there spells cards for 3 turns -____- he just needed another ice lance to kill me and after me being able to do nothing with my 6/4 for 3 turns he finally got it. I never use the Well played emote on mages because anyone who plays them clearly sucks at the game and needs broken !@# cards to win.
Edited by ballbabyjin on 11/21/2013 10:08 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]