Mages are so broken on so many levels.

(Locked)

11/21/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Kainaq
but every class is capable of BS wins.

Yeah, but mages dont need any special cards for that.

Frostbolt + double ice lanze = 11 damage for 4 mana on hero
frostnova = 2 whole turns where you cant attack for 2 mana
cone of cold = another 2 turn where you cant attack
Blizzard = another 2 turns where you cant attack
double Fireball = 12 damage for 8 mana
arcane missile = 6 damage for 2 mana
mirror entity = copys your played minion, and can attack you directly in the same turn with it
free 1 damage each turn for 2 mana

And if you manage to bring the mage somehow down, he has Ice block which makes him immun to really everything in this turn, while he can just pyroblast + frostbold you

And it's paradox that the only class who could counter the spells of a mage, is a mage
Edited by Serefina on 11/21/2013 10:06 PM PST
I can run 2 pyroblasts, 2 fireballs then go

frost nova, cone of cold, frostbolt, blizzard, archmage flamestrike.

then chuck in some spell power creatures or just weenies to deal with early game.

You can never attack because your board is always frozen and the turn you dont get frozen you get pyroblasted and the following turn it happens again.... game over.

No creature you play can kill them unless you get extremely lucky so the only way to deal with this deck is mass healing/ decking them or having the same deck but getting the dmg earlier.

tldr mages are OP, the only counter is mass healing decks or other mage decks.

You could put those spells in your deck but I guarantee you'd lose more than 50% of your games. Archmage flamestrike is 13 mana. You can only cast 1 pyroblast per turn, and you have to be alive until turn 8 to do so.

Making up your argument is a good way to invalidate it.

I track my W/L and I'm 10W / 5L vs. mages at the 3* Masters level. Nothing imbalanced there.
Agree that mages are the only class that actually merits the OP label that is constantly thrown around.
I can run 2 pyroblasts, 2 fireballs then go

frost nova, cone of cold, frostbolt, blizzard, archmage flamestrike.

then chuck in some spell power creatures or just weenies to deal with early game.

You can never attack because your board is always frozen and the turn you dont get frozen you get pyroblasted and the following turn it happens again.... game over.

No creature you play can kill them unless you get extremely lucky so the only way to deal with this deck is mass healing/ decking them or having the same deck but getting the dmg earlier.

tldr mages are OP, the only counter is mass healing decks or other mage decks.

You could put those spells in your deck but I guarantee you'd lose more than 50% of your games. Archmage flamestrike is 13 mana. You can only cast 1 pyroblast per turn, and you have to be alive until turn 8 to do so.

Making up your argument is a good way to invalidate it.

I track my W/L and I'm 10W / 5L vs. mages at the 3* Masters level. Nothing imbalanced there.

If this is the case, please explain how you do it, because I'm obviously missing something. Between blizzard, CoC, frost nova, sheep, flamestrike, arcane missiles, and mirror image, I simply cannot deal enough damage before it gets to a point in the game that he can fireball/pyro me to death. He was even burning things like frost nova on only a few minions, but it didn't matter because he had so much lockdown.
Edited by Slithan on 11/21/2013 10:50 PM PST
I can run 2 pyroblasts...

So, you want to spend tons of money just to buy this "FAKE" broken deck and for what?

To find out your just a troll and your mage deck setup sucks and/or never wins games enough to offset the cost of buying it.. EPIC TROLL FAIL!!!
11/21/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Noxious
mass healing

You don't even need mass healing.
My double Lay on Hands/Guardian of kings will easily keep me above water.
You'd have to deal 60 damage, even with alexstrasza I can survive it.
Just offering some advise against control mages - I play the class a lot in masters and lose to just about any class that knows how to handle my spells.

It's quite easy to beat a control mage, you just need to play differently. If you rush every minion you have on the board you will likely lose.

The control mage wins when they can clear multiple minions with few spells, and use their single target spells on the opposing hero.

The mage loses when they are forced to clear 1 or 2 minions with aoe type spells, and are then forced to use direct spells against further minions.

So it's an easy formula, you have to sustain soft pressure but not go all out early. Try and control the board with only 1 or 2 minions active at end of turn until you forced their aoe's out, then go hard.

In most cases if you've force a mage to use fireball (or even better pyro) on a minion you have pretty much won, because they have a limited supply of fire power they can throw to your face.

This so much.

I beat them on my druid and rogue most of the time. I never put too many creatures out. I like to only have 2 out, 3 max. I'll put 3 or 4 if there are some golumns with deathrattle.

And the earthen seer guy (3/3 and heals for 3) has been helping a lot verse this mage rush and other rush decks as well. In fact, I beat you Noxious on your spellpower rogue deck, getting some heals off to survive your crazy damage.

Was fun.
I even don't want to talk about this class, almost as broken as the Terran in WoL.

The community should look down the people who abuse this game with Mage.
Just offering some advise against control mages - I play the class a lot in masters and lose to just about any class that knows how to handle my spells.

It's quite easy to beat a control mage, you just need to play differently. If you rush every minion you have on the board you will likely lose.

The control mage wins when they can clear multiple minions with few spells, and use their single target spells on the opposing hero.

The mage loses when they are forced to clear 1 or 2 minions with aoe type spells, and are then forced to use direct spells against further minions.

So it's an easy formula, you have to sustain soft pressure but not go all out early. Try and control the board with only 1 or 2 minions active at end of turn until you forced their aoe's out, then go hard.

In most cases if you've force a mage to use fireball (or even better pyro) on a minion you have pretty much won, because they have a limited supply of fire power they can throw to your face.

Yup.
there should really be a minion that has battlecry "remove all freezing effects" or something like that, It's very annoying...
I play aggro lock in high masters 3 and am yet to meet a Mage I consistently struggle against (sure, I lose to the odd one or two but typically find there's other reasons behind it such as luck on his part, poor luck on my part or me just making a mistake or two)

Yup.

Any good mage player will play around those obstacles. The only time you will give them some trouble is if you can play above-average HP creature each turn. Like Amani on turn 2, Fel Guard on turn 3 (which noone plays, but I couldnt remember any 4 hp 3 drop) and Yeti on turn 4. Even then they will be wiped/frozen on turn 5 or 7 anyway.

http://j1311.hizliresim.com/1h/q/usb6q.jpg This deck achieves 70 - 80 % win rate on Play even though its curve is pretty high. That's the problem OP is talking about; that mages can pull of such gimmicky decks and I agree. I can easily replace the legendaries with Argent Commanders to make this even more consistent, but I am having so much fun and wins with it, why should I make it more boring, right?

I think there should be a mechanic similar to what Frozen does to weapon heroes for spell heroes. So that mages cant play spells each and every turn with such ease. Maybe not as harsh as Spell-Frozen, but temporarily put +1 cost to all spells for opposing hero? Its something to think about.
Edited by hydramarine on 11/22/2013 2:09 AM PST
11/21/2013 09:03 PMPosted by McCookies
this isn't wow.... diminishing returns wont work in a card game. they will figure out the kinks, etc... its still beta, yawn yada yada yawn.

i like your explanation of why diminishing returns wont work and the typical it's still beta response.
11/21/2013 09:57 PMPosted by Xyr3s
flamestircken?

huge flaming chicken that will peck ur opponent's minions dealing 4 damage each then squawk to ya face with a smug look
Mages need a nerf. It you play the wow trading card game mage heroes have lower hp.
11/21/2013 10:05 PMPosted by Serefina
but every class is capable of BS wins.

Yeah, but mages dont need any special cards for that.

Frostbolt + double ice lanze = 11 damage for 4 mana on hero
frostnova = 2 whole turns where you cant attack for 2 mana
cone of cold = another 2 turn where you cant attack
Blizzard = another 2 turns where you cant attack
double Fireball = 12 damage for 8 mana
arcane missile = 6 damage for 2 mana
mirror entity = copys your played minion, and can attack you directly in the same turn with it
free 1 damage each turn for 2 mana

And if you manage to bring the mage somehow down, he has Ice block which makes him immun to really everything in this turn, while he can just pyroblast + frostbold you

And it's paradox that the only class who could counter the spells of a mage, is a mage

you just named:

2x arcane missle
2x frostbolt
2x ice lance
2x frost nova
2x cone of cold
2x blizzard
2x fireball

also there are poly, and pyroblast. you just called out 18 spells. (not including ice block, arcane intellect, or flamestrike)

please make a deck with these 18 spells, splash in any 12 minion you want. record the win/loss. then come and QQ.

i guarantee you won't break 50%
EVERY mage plays that stupid Reckful Blizzcon control + spells deck now.
So boring... it really looks like UTH hunts.
Edited by KwizatZ on 11/22/2013 4:45 AM PST
I don't think mage is OP, 'cause it's really risky... I personally have tried to play mage like this, it's rather fun 'cause you really need luck and strategies, (a lot of luck actually)... I also have played against fire+ice mages, they're not OP, I played a aggro warrior deck (and once with warlock also an aggro deck), I won.
EVERY mage plays that stupid Reckful Blizzcon control + spells deck now.
So boring... it really looks like UTH hunts.

I have actually seen a lot control mages lately... What's an UTH deck anyway? :o
11/21/2013 09:03 PMPosted by Noxious
the main problem is their CC along side their 1 damage hero power to finish off injured minions.

so how is this any different from a druid using starfall selecting the aoe component, having a couple of spell damage minions on the board to beef it up, then using their hero power to knock off a weakend creature, answer: there is none, or how about a warlock using hellfire then spending 1 mana to use a mortal coil gaining the card back they spent removing the damaged minion, or, how about a paladin using consecrate, then following up with a hammer of wrath killing a minion and drawing a card, or a rogue using blade flurry then using a fan of knives to finish off a bunch of weak minions and drawing a card, the list goes on, the thing that you and a bunch of other people in this thread are so butthurt over is the freeze component, if it wasn't there, not only would it make mages and every other class that can pull off the above combo very generic, but it would make mages very vulnerable, so yeah, keep them tears coming, keeps me invigorated.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]