My biggest struggle with Priests isn't MC

I'm looking for thoughts on how other players handle the unpredictability of the Priest. What do I mean by unpredictability? I'm not talking about Mind Control, I can see that coming. I'm not talking about Holy Nova or Shadow Madness, those I can generally handle.

What completely frustrates me is when they have abilities that I simply CANNOT foresee. Example: Yesterday a Priest used Equality and Holy Nova to completely clear my board. I had worked hard to make sure my minions were above Holy Nova damage, but could not foresee an Equality. Likewise, I've had a priest use my Sword of Justice against me.

So how do other players handle this? How do you prepare for a class that could literally have anything in your own deck? Do you assume their little Thought Steal cards got the best possible card? The worst? Do you just cross your fingers and hope?
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
You're really really really really late on this band wagon... priests hardly show up in the meta... as for equality and holy nova, the chances of them getting equality from you is already pretty low, but to knock them for essentially using the default pally strategy (replace holy nova with consecration) is just silly.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 06:09 AMPosted by Koji
You're really really really really late on this band wagon... priests hardly show up in the meta... as for equality and holy nova, the chances of them getting equality from you is already pretty low, but to knock them for essentially using the default pally strategy (replace holy nova with consecration) is just silly.

I'm not knocking him... it's a good play.

My problem is that I simply cannot prepare for it. I can't say to myself "Hey, he might have Equality + Holy Nova, so I want to save a minion back or put a Divine Shield on a dude, just in case".

And it's that inability to predict their next move that makes them so frustrating.
Reply Quote
Priests are in fact so broken they can play cards from other classes.
Reply Quote
Doesn't matter what situation you are in or who you are playing against you should never flood the board if you don't have to.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
11/22/2013 06:51 AMPosted by Gunba

Yeah it sucks so bad for me when they get shield bash... Oh wait...

It's a gamble, sometimes a really bad one. I don't bother having thought steal in my priest deck.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 07:19 AMPosted by Koji

Yeah it sucks so bad for me when they get shield bash... Oh wait...

It's a gamble, sometimes a really bad one. I don't bother having thought steal in my priest deck.

Most priest decks don't run thoughtsteal or mindgames at any medium or high level play. They are far too risky of cards to play.

They exist solely for the lulz.
Reply Quote
Most priest decks don't run thoughtsteal or mindgames at any medium or high level play. They are far too risky of cards to play.

They might but just a moment ago a priest stole my flamestrike and used it against me. I had in hand a flamestrike an arcane explosion and a ice barrier. And had control of the board. Now nothing...lol
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 06:14 AMPosted by R2C2

I'm not knocking him... it's a good play.

My problem is that I simply cannot prepare for it. I can't say to myself "Hey, he might have Equality + Holy Nova, so I want to save a minion back or put a Divine Shield on a dude, just in case".

And it's that inability to predict their next move that makes them so frustrating.

You can if you know your deck well enough and remember what cards you've already used. If the priest plays thought steal and you know you have something still in your deck that could screw your board over your best bet is to play it as safe as possible while retaining board control. Unless you want to take risks and potentially screw yourself over, your best bet is to always play around cards like that in case they have the worst case scenario.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
I'm looking for thoughts on how other players handle the unpredictability of the Priest. What do I mean by unpredictability? I'm not talking about Mind Control, I can see that coming. I'm not talking about Holy Nova or Shadow Madness, those I can generally handle.

What completely frustrates me is when they have abilities that I simply CANNOT foresee. Example: Yesterday a Priest used Equality and Holy Nova to completely clear my board. I had worked hard to make sure my minions were above Holy Nova damage, but could not foresee an Equality. Likewise, I've had a priest use my Sword of Justice against me.

So how do other players handle this? How do you prepare for a class that could literally have anything in your own deck? Do you assume their little Thought Steal cards got the best possible card? The worst? Do you just cross your fingers and hope?

Cards like Thoughtsteal are weak in the sense that, on average, you're likely to grab cards that aren't as strong as you would have put into your deck for yourself. That is, for example, while stealing a beast is still useful for the Priest, it's less useful than it would be to a hunter.

What you're bringing up is the one thing I like about Thoughtsteal; it's hard to work around the cards I stole. For example, if I Thoughtsteal, you don't know what class cards I've taken, and it becomes harder to work around.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 06:14 AMPosted by R2C2

Why should you be able to respond to every possible outcome that may occur?
Reply Quote
Cards like Thoughtsteal are weak in the sense that, on average, you're likely to grab cards that aren't as strong as you would have put into your deck for yourself. That is, for example, while stealing a beast is still useful for the Priest, it's less useful than it would be to a hunter.

This is true, but Thoughtsteal is also a nice card for a card-burning deck because it actually increases your deck size by one.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
11/22/2013 10:38 AMPosted by BlackAdder

This is true, but Thoughtsteal is also a nice card for a card-burning deck because it actually increases your deck size by one.

The point of card burning/card thinning is to be able to get to your good cards, INCREASING your deck size isn't beneficial (though thought steal doesn't really increase the size of your deck, it's completely neutral when it comes to card thinning)
Reply Quote
I once had 1x Flamestrike in my arena deck, and my priest opponent used 2x flamestrikes in a row at turns 7 and 8

sigh
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Nippa
They might but just a moment ago a priest stole my flamestrike and used it against me. I had in hand a flamestrike an arcane explosion and a ice barrier. And had control of the board. Now nothing...lol

And thus the lulz were had.

I once poped out somebodies deathwing with mindgames on turn 3 with the coin in arena. !@#$ing hilarious but not really a practical strategy.
Edited by Rekrn on 11/23/2013 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote

Anecdotal... and irrelevant.

If you want his stealing card to be bad 100% of the time, then you're simply asking for an autopilot game. There's risk versus reward with most cards in this game... don't complain.
Reply Quote
mind vision and thought steal admittedly are bad cards, most people agree them being below average, they are better than mind games but not much

some days they'll steal an equality when they have a holy nova, steal a motlen giant or jaraxxus when they are below 10 health, but most of the time they dont steal anything too significant, its just extremely obnoxious to have them steal your cards and use it against you

priests having the most solid basic and common cards are the reasons for making them highly popular, and the meta has shifted to counter the influx of priests, so as long as you play aggro/mid range, you should do well against them

once in a blue moon they top deck a crazy card from your deck is simply RNG and bad luck, anyone would be pissed but in the long run, just know that card stealing is very inconsistent and situational, so you are favoured as long as you play smartly and around their cards
Reply Quote
I play with thought steal for the sole purpose of getting card advantage,

you can't get "Bad Cards" unless your opponent made a bad deck, which in turn just make you equal + your own cards

The cards I steal, have been valuated by the opponent to be worth something.
Even when I played vs a Hunter, and got cards that's only effect beast, I still got value from them (got 2 buzzards for card draw)
and if not anything else, I got 2 cards I can use for Cannon Fodder

I have of yet, regretted useing a Thouth steal,
I always get something

Polymorth
2/2 taunt
high end creature
even Mind controll (suck it Blue)

and Like wise, Been countered hard by Mind Vision (sure its luck but I got bended hard because of that)

Had 2 Cards in my Hand play vs another Priest,

I have 10 mana, chose to cast my Lesser card (can't remember think it was a Light spawn)
and then the other priest, use Mind vison, and copying the one card on my hand...Deathwing

and to make things even more Lulz

I play Deathwing next turn
He cast Mind controll
I draw and Cast Mindcontrol
He cast Deathwing

GG

TLDR,

Once in a blue Moon Thoth steal will get you JUST that card to need to turn the table

And once in a blue Moon, would you draw that card instead of the one winning card you do have in your own deck to turn the tide...

I like the card, and I'll keep useing it untill I can see a direkt link between my loses and that card

Rank is Only 3 star Gold, but thats more with the fact I don't play that much other then bad deck makeing :P
Edited by DJpwny on 11/26/2013 4:58 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]