Warlock Aggro Troubles

I'm having the most trouble against this deck. It's very hard to win because of their hero power + the constant onslaught. Often their imp will cause their minions to get more health than lightning storm can deal as well. Any 2 for 1 trade I make is just equalized out by their hero power + more creatures being summoned. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Of all the decks this is really the only deck my control cards can't keep up with and it shows in tournament results that I'm not the only one having this problem.

My removal line-up is:
2 Earthshock (Kills the x/1 divine shields and loot hoarders. great with spellpower)
2 Forked Lightning
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Rockbiter
1 Stormforged Axe (Can't afford to take the damage w/ 2 of them)
2 Hex
2 Lightning Storm
1 Lava Burst

Creatures Are:
2 Flametongue Totem (Looking for replacements)
2 Feral Spirit
2 Mana Tide Totem (Probs the thing I will cut for any suggestions, previously I could equalize the board and drop this but that seems to not be something that happens often enough against aggro)
2 Twilight Drake
2 Azure Drake
1 Sylvannas
2 Argent Commander
2 Fire Elemental
1 Ragnaros

I understand that I probably need more early creatures, but the aggro decks trade so well with early creatures given the 3/4 drop stat buff trio. The only card I can think of that might help me is Harvest Golem. He's not very scary though. Senjin Shieldmaster is out of the equation because he just gets blown up by dark iron dwarf buffing a 3/2. Perhaps Earth Elemental will help in this specific match-up? They don't have removal for it so they will have to trade minions into it which could be hard on turn 5. Normally I wouldn't drop an Earth Ele on turn 5 but against this deck it might be okay. The only problem is the huge taxes I get for my next turn.
Edited by dmcAxle on 11/23/2013 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
l would personally go with your suggestion and try out the earth elementals and replace the mana tide totems for them.
Reply Quote
Hi. I was just ranked top 30 in the last two Blizzard rankings and the majority of my ladder games are on Shaman. This is the current Shaman deck I'm running on ladder, but it changes slightly every day. I'm not sure if I prefer Feral Spirit or Harvest Golem yet.

http://i.imgur.com/p6xRZSe.png

This deck has had a pretty good winrate vs warlocks in tournaments, and I've praticed many games with Curi himself (he is the one who invented/popularised the current warlock aggro deck that is being used by everyone http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=435773). In a tourmament I would make a few sideboards such as adding a Kodo, cutting a hex, etc, but it should be fine on ladder.

With your deck I don't like:

2 Earthshock. Too situational. Just run 1 if you really like the card.

2 Flametongue. This is a huge trap card that will lose you more games than it wins. It's nice if you're ahead and horrible if you're behind. Cut both.

2 Forked. The 2 overload is way too much for what the card does. You can run 1 if you want to deal with aggro decks but I don't like it.

1 Stormforged. Run 2 of this card, it's super important. Getting one in you're opening hand will give you the early tempo/control and with only 1 in your deck it's too unreliable. Don't worry about taking damage, if you don't get the early control he is going to overrun you anyway.

2 Mana Tide - doesn't cause enough of a threat, cut both. If the opponent has board control you are just spending 3 mana to cycle your deck since they will kill it for free. If you want draw run novice engineers or loot hoarders. They give you early bodies that you can buff with cleric/dwarf

2 Twilight - Shaman doesn't have enough draw for these, run Dwarves

In general I think these cards are too situational and don't do anything for getting you early board control.

Refill your deck with things like Argent Squire, Knife Juggler, Loot Hoarder, Novice Engineer, Harvest Golem, Shattered Sun Cleric, Scarlet Crusader, Dark Iron Dwarf, Defender of Argus, Earth Elemental, Venture Co Merc. and add the 2nd Stormforged.
Reply Quote
All those things you mentioned:

Argent Squire, Knife Juggler, Loot Hoarder, Novice Engineer, Shattered Sun Cleric, , Dark Iron Dwarf, Defender of Argus.

Are minions that are not really associated with a control deck, you're basically telling him to use the cookie cutter aggro minions cards that everyone(including me in my shaman deck: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10636843672 ) is using in today's meta. I think the OP is trying to stray from that and focus on a control deck of his own.But I do agree on adding another Stormforged axe, give it another try again OP and see how you do with it.

Also would like to add that I would use harvest golem over feral spirits unless you're going for a control deck. The overload cost from feral spirits completely ruin the momentum that you would have with your aggro associated cards. I see feral spirits usage in a control deck for the purpose of staving off the early aggro rush.
Edited by Clove on 11/25/2013 12:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
All the other classes that play aggro offer strong early game support for the generic minion line-up. What does Shaman really offer that would make it worth playing over them? Only thing that stands out above other classes is Fire Elemental. The rest of the decks have their own alternative to the class cards you are playing.

Rogue has removal too and though Shaman has stronger removal the Rogue decks have cards like SI:7 and Bandit to aid early game aggro.
Warlocks have their class 1 drops and their hero power.
Paladin has Truesilver, Argent Protector, Sword of Justice, etc.

It's not that I'm some guy refusing to join the meta. I don't deny the fact that throwing those minion into a Shaman deck is probably the best idea. It's just that I don't pick favorite decks and if I was going aggro I would just switch to a better class for it.
Edited by dmcAxle on 11/24/2013 11:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
All the other classes that play aggro offer strong early game support for the generic minion line-up. What does Shaman really offer that would make it worth playing over them? Only thing that stands out above other classes is Fire Elemental. The rest of the decks have their own alternative to the class cards you are playing.

Rogue has removal too and though Shaman has stronger removal the Rogue decks have cards like SI:7 and Bandit to aid early game aggro.
Warlocks have their class 1 drops and their hero power.
Paladin has Truesilver, Argent Protector, Sword of Justice, etc.

It's not that I'm some guy refusing to join the meta. I don't deny the fact that throwing those minion into a Shaman deck is probably the best idea. It's just that I don't pick favorite decks and if I was going aggro I would just switch to a better class for it.

True, but at the same time you could say the same thing about control Shaman. So why play control Shaman when there are other classes that can do it better? A control Druid and Mage are considerably more successful than a control Shaman and have actually placed and won a few in MLG managrind tournaments in the past whereas Shaman is left dead in the water in tournaments for the past two months. So why play Shaman at all? We play it because even though it might not be the best, they are still considerably good at both aggro(believe it or not) and control and because we find them fun to play as.
Reply Quote
In Shaman Control decks, Flametongue Totems just don't do enough. Run a couple of Wild Pyromancers in place of the totems; they really help vs. Warlock's Blood Imps, and any aggro decks in general; your Lightning Storms have a +1 to them, and all spells will kill 1HP minions. Try to hold the Pyromancers until you can play them with a spell on the same turn for greatest effect.

Also, save up for Bloodmage Thalnos; yes, he fits many decks, but he's absolutely perfect for Shaman control decks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]