My gripe with priests

I know there are plenty of you who do not like the priests. I am among the ranks who hate being matched up against them. In my experience, what makes the priest so nasty is that he is too efficient at countering critical cards with shadow word spells. I know the point of this game is to maximize the efficiency of your deck, but i feel like priests have too easy a time doing that. Mainly because of shadow word spells. With 4 cards in a deck, you basically have to have pain and death, you are consistently poised to counter any critical card the other player needs for any sort of board control. They obliterate tanky taunters with sw pain, and the heavy hitters don't stand a chance against 3 mana sw death. It's way too efficient. It feels like 4dmg units are the sweet spot against the priest, but apply any sort of buff, and they die the next turn, in most cases. You have to claw your way into the board with measly units or ephemeral heavy hitters/chargers. Just my $0.02.
Reply Quote
SW: Death can easily be "countered" not just by 4 atk minions, but by decks with lots of 1 and 2 mana cost minions with 4 or less atk. I've had games where I've had 2 SW: Pain sitting in my hand and nothing to use them on for multiple turns because my opponent would never summon minions with 5 or more attack. It's possible to make or break the game in that case.
Reply Quote
yeah it's quite polarizing imo. i know how to counter a card that insta kills 5atk mobs. that's not the point. supplement it with pain for 1-3 insta kill and 5+ insta kill, it makes it hard to set the board up especially in arena. it also makes it tricky to buff ur mobs when u have plenty of mana to buff but the next turn he can easily have 1shadow word card in the his hand and u just wasted 2-3 cards buffing or wasted mana not buffing
Reply Quote
Heh, in a priest v priest game I buffed a minion (mogu warden i think) to be like a 4/20 with sun cleric, dark iron dwarf, power word shield, and divine spirit. He could do nothing to get by it and when it was finally turn 8 and he MC'd it I just MC'd it right back! He promptly conceded xD

top notch luck to get all the cards I needed, but man was it hilarious watching him run all his garbage into the wall just to have me heal it up for 2 or more the next turn :D
Reply Quote
lol that's jokes.
Reply Quote
I've had to tune my Priest deck into being more focused on small to mid-size creatures in order to deal with rushdown decks and make other Priests run out of removal. I don't really enjoy spamming card copies as it's just a game delay and I could win by turn 8 if I simply played well (and it gets you destroyed against rushdown, because you're on a 7-8 turn clock against them). Consequently, SW:D is also much weaker in and against my deck, and Priests who don't run Holy Smite find themselves quickly out of valuable removal against efficient creatures. MC doesn't even matter in most games because I can crush them with board control by turn 8.
Reply Quote
Heh, in a priest v priest game I buffed a minion (mogu warden i think) to be like a 4/20 with sun cleric, dark iron dwarf, power word shield, and divine spirit. He could do nothing to get by it and when it was finally turn 8 and he MC'd it I just MC'd it right back! He promptly conceded xD

top notch luck to get all the cards I needed, but man was it hilarious watching him run all his garbage into the wall just to have me heal it up for 2 or more the next turn :D

And that's why you should always take at least 1 silence/hex/similar card in your Arena decks, boys and girls!
Reply Quote
so far, it appears that the low tier/mana creature rush builds are viable against priests. which was sort of my point. play a strong card, and it's likely toast. i guess it trains people not to hinge their builds on a few gimmicky buffs, but still. i like :D
Reply Quote
11/23/2013 09:41 PMPosted by Jaqen
SW: Death can easily be "countered" not just by 4 atk minions, but by decks with lots of 1 and 2 mana cost minions with 4 or less atk.

Holy Nova
Reply Quote
11/24/2013 03:26 PMPosted by AiEmpire
SW: Death can easily be "countered" not just by 4 atk minions, but by decks with lots of 1 and 2 mana cost minions with 4 or less atk.

Holy Nova

gg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]