Masters 3 - Control Shaman deck 85%+ win rate

Hi guys, after numerous tweaks and modifications, I seem to have found one of the best, if not the best, shaman decks that works in current meta. This deck is viable for any tournaments and does well against most classes.

For the deck-building, I have used concepts from various tournament level shaman decks posted by various people around the forums and on the net. Giving credit where credit is due, thank you to madskull, Hydrium, Demacia, and some others (sorry if I forgot to mention your name) for giving me ideas for this deck from your various decks and guides.

************** Cards in the deck currently: **************

2x Earth Shock
2x Forked Lightning
2x Lightning Bolt
1x Rockbiter Weapon
1x Stormforged Axe
1x Flametongue Totem
1x Kobold Geomancer
2x Feral Spirit
2x Hex
1x Lava Burst
2x Lightning Storm
2x Mana Tide Totem
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Azure Drake
1x Fen Creeper
1x Venture Co. Mercenary
2x Fire Elemental
1x Sunwalker
1x Ragnaros
1x Ysera

************* Tweaks that are definitely needed: *************
My deck isn't perfect; these are cards that I do not currently have but will add as soon as I get them:

1x Bloodmage Thalnos replacing 1x Kobold Geomancer
This is a change definitely needed and makes the deck better in ALL situations

2x Earth Elemental replacing 1x Sunwalker OR 1x Fen Creeper OR Venture Co. Mercenary
I'll have to test this. This may or may not be better than the cards already in the deck. Earth Elemental plays the role of a high threat card for your opponent that either gets a 2 for 1 or needs to be pol'd/spell effected. Thing is, Sunwalker, Fen Creeper, and Venture Co. all perform the exact same role without the 3 overload to haunt you next turn if Earth Elemental is taken care of (poly or spells).

******************** Card questions: ********************
Here, I will explain some questions and why some of the 'not-so-obvious' cards are put in the deck.

Earth Shock instead of Ironbeak Owl or Spellbreaker?
Earth Shock is a lifesaver. Our deck contains a lot of spellpower from totem, drakes, kobold geomancer, thus making this card provide both a silence and removal when needed. This card is great to kill divine shield minions with, since it silences BEFORE doing damage. Also a great 1 cost [no overload] insurance for when Lightning Storm RNG doesn't go our way.

Why Rockbiter Weapon? Why only 1 Lava Burst?
This deck focuses control with early removal and cards that provide a 2 for 1 card advantage. For early game removal, Lava burst is far too expensive and sets you back too much the next turn. On the other hand, Rockbiter Weapon is only 1 mana and no Overload for essentially a 1 for 1 trade early-game. Why keep the 1 Lava burst? Well, there are times when the 5 damage, boosted up with spell power is needed to either do lethal damage or to kill a big creature. As Lava burst overload means far less late game, it is excellent for performing its role as emergency removal.

Stormforged Axe instead of Doomhammer?
Again, this deck required early game board clears in order to be effective. Doomhammer can only be played turn 5. On top of that, to removal creatures likely played around turn 5, doomhammer will need to attack the creature twice (and take damage to your hero twice). This on top of it's relatively high overload makes Stormforged Axe the far better option.

Only one Flametongue totem?
I have tested this many times. More often than not, flametongue's role is to pump up a friendly totem or feral spirit to allow them to trade. However, having 0 attack makes it easy for opponents to get a 2 for 1 out of it with the right cards. Trying to find the perfect time to play a flametongue effectively often leads to it sitting in your hand occupying the spot of what could be another valuable card. Having 2 of these just doubles that probability.

Venture Co. Mercenary, why?
Venture Co. is an amazing card and more often than not, atleast gets a 2 for 1, if not 3 for 1 trade. This deck consists of many spells (which do not get affected by Venture Co.'s effect). Also, the overload on our cards make it so we can only play low-medium cost cards around the midgame. Just 5 mana for a 7/6 is amazing and puts a massive threat on the board for your opponent.

Fen Creeper and Sunwalker?
These 2 cards, along with Tazdingo, provide stability in the deck against various rush decks while putting a decent threat on the field.

Ragnaros and Ysera?
Arguable the 2 best neutral legendaries in the game. These 2 cards are the reason why this deck has an amazing lategame. Some other guides suggested using Malygos instead of Ysera. Personally, Malygos is VERY situational. This deck usually goes through most,if not all, of its removal and spells by the time the legendaries are played. Running Malygos forces you to save some of these until Maly is played. Ysera is faaaaaar more flexible and provides a great effect without forcing you to hold cards. Rag is simply amazing, proving a huge source of threat and [usually] a big 8 damage hit on your unlucky opponent.

******************** Card replacements: ********************
Epic and legendary cards are often hard to get. Here are some cards can be used as a replacement for some of these not-so-common cards:

Bloodmage Thalnos
Kobold Geomancer does a great job in replacing Thalnos. Remember, both of these cards are almost NEVER used to get a creature on the board. Instead, they are used alongside removal spells (on the same turn) in order to boost their effects.

Azure Drake
Ogre Magi would be the next best thing in replacing this amazing dragon.

Sunwalker
Lord of the Arena or another Fen Creeper would be the best replacement, providing solid taunts for similar mana costs.

Ragnaros
Ragnaros plays the role of a high threat creature that acts as a soft taunt. Stormwind Champion can fulfill a similar role, to a lesser extent. Buffing your totems and other creatures makes it a high priority for your opponent to remove Stormwind Champion. Also has decent stats in 6/6

Ysera
Legendaries such as Rag and Ysera are hard to replace (they aren't known as the best legendaries for no reason). However, a card that fills a similar role can be used. Archmage would have to me the best replacement. Similar to Ysera, it is 4 damage (immune to many forms of removal) and a high health. Also provides spell power which further improves effectiveness of your spells.

Lightning Storm, Feral Spirit, Lava Burst, Mana Tide
Unfortunately, these rares are quite essential to the playstyle of this deck and need to be prioritized for crafting if you do not have them. These no real substitute for these great class specific cards (except maybe lava burst, which *could* be replaced with a second Rockbiter weapon.

******************** Playstyle ********************

This deck style mostly consists of playing totems and using removal early game. You are basically trying to get as much value from your aoe removal as possible, trying to wait till they can removal an optimal number of creatures.

For your starting cards, forked lightning, rockbiter weapon, flametongue totem, lightning bolt, stormforged axe, and feral spirit are must keeps and should not be replaced in the opening hand.

Coin may be used to summon a totem turn one ONLY if you have a flametongue totem in your hand for turn 2 minion for totem trade.

Coin can also be used for Centure Co. turn 4, which usually forces your opponent to use a polymorph or hard removal. However, chances are, you will have overload these turns from your removal spells. Coin into Kobold Geomancer and lightning storm is also a great combination if guarenteed 3 damage is needed for your aoe.

******************** Other Questions ********************
If you have any other questions related to Shamans such as matchups, cards, playstyle, etc, feel free to leave a comment below. I'll also add commonly asked questions and answers that you ask underneath in this section.
Edited by skulledwiz on 11/25/2013 3:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
norm
Reply Quote
Surprised this thread didn't get more posts. Has anyone had decent success with this deck other than the OP? I'm doing "ok" with it.
Reply Quote
having a smimular deck.but got 2 earth elemental because i dont have those legendarys~~
Reply Quote

2x Earth Shock
2x Forked Lightning
2x Lightning Bolt
1x Rockbiter Weapon
1x Stormforged Axe
1x Flametongue Totem
1x Kobold Geomancer
2x Feral Spirit
2x Hex
1x Lava Burst
2x Lightning Storm
2x Mana Tide Totem
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Azure Drake
1x Fen Creeper
1x Venture Co. Mercenary (changed to Al'Akir the Windlord)
2x Fire Elemental
1x Sunwalker
1x Ragnaros (changed to Earth Elemental)
1x Ysera (changed to Earth Elemental)

I do not have the 2 legendaries so I put in 2 Earth Elementals instead. Al'Akir the Windlord made it into the deck instead of the the Veture Co. Mercenary. I am considering changing Al'Akir the Windlord to Frostwolf Warlord because I feel like we often have a lot of minions on the board due to all our totems. No clue which of the three is the better option though. Haven't acctually tested the Earth Elementals yet, as I just got them whilst typing this message.

The deck got me to rank 13 (down from 16) thus far and I am by no means an experienced player and probably makes LOADS of mistakes. Will play it more over the coming few days to get ready for the reset.

@OP:
Great post. All it lacks from my point of view is tips and tricks vs different types of deck.
I just got my !@#$ pwned big time by an aggro warlock. Without like 2 Lightning Storms in your starting hand you are pretty much doomed it seemed?
Reply Quote
Been using this deck today and still stuck between 15 and 16. Mostly keep losing to bad RNG after 2-3 wins taking me back to 16.

Edit: Now I am back to 17 due to a Druid that pushed deck to 0 cards while I had 12 still to draw....He had all the card he wanted fast.

I feel we can build a solid deck for 1 or 2 champions but with the constant RNG problems we have the Shaman is in dire need of some change. I have tried many suggested decks and playstyles here and can't get past 15.
Edited by rockon87 on 12/28/2013 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
skulledwiz,

Why diont you test this deck with the earth elementals and unbound elemental to have a chance to make use of the overload,

personally i prefer two rockbiter to 1 rockbiter 1 stormforged axe.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]