UTH Opening Hand

I made an Unleash the Hounds deck recently, because I was curious to test out the mechanic.

I'm curious what cards more experienced UTH hunters choose to save vs. discard in the initial card display.
Reply Quote
...Oh the strategy needed to play a UtH deck must be awfully hard to figure out....
Reply Quote
It depends on the matchup. Some matchups you want more control, others you want a faster combo. Generally, Tracking, Alpha Wolf, Young Dragonhawk, and UtH are the most important parts of the combo.
Reply Quote
There is no strategy. You just draw cards until you get Unleash, 2 timber wolves and 2 dragonhawks. Any other beasts you're able to play are just a bonus

timber wolf, timber wolf, dragonhawk, dragonhawk, unleash

0 creatures on the board --> 22 damage for 5 mana. Yep seems balanced.
Reply Quote
Blizzard already said that unleash the hounds will be changed.
Reply Quote
I'll keep tracking/flare and whatever removal I think I might need and I put everything else back (even combo pieces). The exception to this being if I'm facing a mage or priest, I am going second, and I have a stupid good combo hand; something like timberwolf x2 dragonhawk x1 UTH x1, then I'll try to go all in on the combo.
Reply Quote
I made an Unleash the Hounds deck recently, because I was curious to test out the mechanic.

I'm curious what cards more experienced UTH hunters choose to save vs. discard in the initial card display.

lol as if there is strategy to doing 20+ damage in one turn with no counter
Reply Quote

lol as if there is strategy to doing 20+ damage in one turn with no counter

Have you played UtH in Masters? More than other decks, you win and lose off of the mulligan.
Reply Quote
Hi!

It's always good to try to get Flare or Tracking for turn one so you can use all the mana possible. I also tend to keep UtH, Timber Wolf and Dragonhawk.

As something that i don't save against all classes is Explosive Trap. Really good against Hunters, Rogues, Paladins and Warlocks but medicore against the rest. While clearing the board a bit but also doing 2 damage. More often than not the 2 damage is really crucial.

The turn sequence what i look for when i play UTH OTK is something like this:
Turn 1: Flare / Tracking
Turn 2: Novice Engineer / Thalnos / Loot Hoarder / Steady Shot
Turn 3: EHB / Turn 1 + Turn 2 (/ Animal Companion)
Turn 4: Turn 2 + Explosive Trap / EHB + Turn 1 / Leeroy (/Sen'Jin Shieldmasta)
Turn 5: Stranglethorn Tiger / EHB + Turn 2
Turn 6: Stranglethorn Tiger + Turn 1 / Leeroy + Steady Shot
Turn 7: Combo

It rarely pans out like this but this is what i look for. When needed you ofc have to play control cards. Stuff in () is something that i don't always run in the deck. It's good to remember to launch the combo 1 turn early most often even if you are left 1 or 2 damage away from the kill. Every turn you drag on the game they have more time to toss down taunts.

(Edited out something that i remembered incorrectly :P )
Edited by Typoko on 12/3/2013 2:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Personally, I think the starving buzzard is pretty vital to the combo so I keep it when I get it. Generally, I'll drop most beasts in favor of card draw minions and control cards, you can usually count on getting the beasts you need in time for the combo.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
Reply Quote
Personally, I think the starving buzzard is pretty vital to the combo so I keep it when I get it. Generally, I'll drop most beasts in favor of card draw minions and control cards, you can usually count on getting the beasts you need in time for the combo.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

The second Buzzard is a brick and, in Master's, even the first can often be lackluster. Buzzard gives you a more reliable turn 8 combo, but good players are going to force you to go off before then. Explosive power is more desirable when you are being pressured than the reliability of a slower Buzzard combo.
Reply Quote
Interesting, thank you for all the responses.

After I settled into a rhythm with the deck, the cards I found myself generally keeping were:
Buzzard
Unleash
Arcane Shot
Non-overlapping traps that seemed applicable against the opposing class
Tracking

After reading this thread, I think I'll try not keeping the Buzzard, and keeping Flare instead. I definitely had 2 buzzards early sometimes, and found it to be a liability.

I largely created this deck to understand better how to counter it with my main deck. After I put it together, I realized that the initial mulligan was the only part I hadn't seen from the opposite side of the board, so it's been neat to hear the different strategies.

Also, this deck gave me an excuse to run my Hungry Crab and see it eat a murloc. :)
Reply Quote

After reading this thread, I think I'll try not keeping the Buzzard, and keeping Flare instead. I definitely had 2 buzzards early sometimes, and found it to be a liability.

At ~6-8 mana, 2x Buzzard wins you the game.
Reply Quote

At ~6-8 mana, 2x Buzzard wins you the game.

2x Buzzard needs 9+ mana to have a chance of outperforming 1x Buzzard. At 6 mana 2X Buzzard is strictly worse than Buzzard + River Croc. I don't think it's even possible to win a game where you go for a 2x Buzzard combo with 6 mana.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]