Strategy againts mage?

Hello,

I have a problem battle with mage because spells ignore taunt. Why we have a cards with taunt, when just ignore spells? It's really ridiculous to use "Life tap" and then draw a card while you against magician uses his ability and in addition use spells like Fireball, Pyroblast and Ice Lance and absolutely nothing you can do.

it is really stupid

some strategy?

Thx
Reply Quote
What are you using, Dragon? I have a stellar record against Mages - while the cards are important, playstyle counts more.

Tell us what you play, but in the meantime, just give them enough to throw their burn at it - no more. You want smart placement of minions for Cone of Cold, just enough minions to make them play Flamestrike at turn 7, and you with a handful of retaliation etc etc.

Best general card against a Mage is Faerie Dragon. Hands down. If you have health buffs, Enrage can give them nightmares. But it will boil down to playing smart.
Reply Quote
Here's a tip when playing a mage. Click the gear at the bottom right of the screen. Then at the top of the main menu you'll find a "Concede" button. Click that and hopefully the next person you play isn't a mage.

The only way to beat a mage is to go against one that doesn't yet have a pyroblast. If they do then you lost.
Reply Quote
Here's a tip when playing a mage. Click the gear at the bottom right of the screen. Then at the top of the main menu you'll find a "Concede" button. Click that and hopefully the next person you play isn't a mage.

The only way to beat a mage is to go against one that doesn't yet have a pyroblast. If they do then you lost.

^Seriously. It's basically a gamble if you waste your time. You can win vs mages, but not consistently as they have NO counter play. You can't react to them, you can't try to play smart, it just comes down to pure luck of your and their draw. Why waste time. Concede and play against someone else.

Otherwise, trying to bring them low in HP so they are forced to use Fireball on your minions is the only strategy really, if you want to stick with playing vs them.
Reply Quote
Lie down, try not to cry, cry alot.
Reply Quote
Force the spells out by flooding the board early and often. If you can get 2-3 minions out by turn 3 CoC won't crush ur board with 1 damage each ur also forcing pings and most likely frost bolts. Next phase is the fireball/blizzard phase. You know it's coming so make sure any spell minions are gone and u can eat the 2 damage to minions if you can great cuz you took out his fireballs. When turn 7 hits you need to have just as many minions out to do constant damage but not try to end the game. Don't flood or you will be a sad panda when it's wiped.

Mage goes in phases for me. Personally I don't have a lot of issues against Mage just have to be aware of the numbers and what you have out. No sense dropping
More cards when u know ur getting the big ol flame strike. The good thing is that's all he can do and if you didn't overcommit you can retake the board next turn. If he FS again well now those are dealt with go buck wild and get all you can on the board.

This is a tough go forsure and about 90% of the time if I win it's around turn 6. If it gets to turn 10-13 I have most likely lost or I didn't do enough damage before the blizzards came.

Hope that helps a bit :)
Edited by CrooKed on 12/3/2013 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
If only Flame Strike was the only AoE clear they have...
Reply Quote
Try going by his mana pool. Essentially he never has flame strike until turn 7 and then assume he has both. Makes ur decision making a little easier just assume the worst and prepare to deal with it.

Not easy tho
Reply Quote
Try going by his mana pool. Essentially he never has flame strike until turn 7 and then assume he has both. Makes ur decision making a little easier just assume the worst and prepare to deal with it.

Not easy tho

They have Blizzard and Flame Strike. You can't play around 4 problem cards without crippling yourself.
On top of that Cone of Cold and some run Arcane Expoasion and Arcane Missles as well, on top of the single target removals Frost Bolt, Sheep and Fireball. Frost Nova as well (altough crappy card)

It's a waste of effort to try to play smart. It leads to nothing. You either get lucky and they draw bad, or you'll lose board control and/or be nuked to death. There is no secret "strategy" involved fighting mages. Really, there isn't. If they would ONLY have Flame Strike as board clear, it would be easy to play around that. 7 Mana, 4 Damage. Play accordingly. DONE.

But turn 5 and/or 6 2 dmg + freeze for 5 mana, and prior to that AE and Cone of Cold (which lets you lose almost all trades the round afterwards + the stall for another round, so they get access to another clear spell) can't be accounted for. They have possible 4(!) turns in succession where they can destroy your entire board, and prior to that trade nornally or nuke single target or stall / aoe your minions down.

Blizzard should only deal 1 damage and Fireball should only be castable on minions. Those two fixes would make the class so much more enjoyable to play against.
Reply Quote
I would really like to see a video of some of these guys who say they win all the time against Mage when going up against a Mage who pulls the right cards. Here's how my games go:

Turn 1 creature: Frostbolt
Turn 2 creature: Frostbolt.
Turn 3 and 4 creatures: Cone of Cold
I might get some damage in at this point, but not much.
Turn 5 and 6: Blizzard or Frost Nova.
Turn 7: Flamestrike

Then it's some mix of whatever freezes he has left combined with fireballs and pyroblasts direct to me. I just don't see how you can beat this.
Reply Quote
Dude to be fair, what you just outlined would be the greatest draw of cards ever for a Mage...... I mean yes it can happen and if your asking what do you do at that point I really have no answer, they draw that perfectly and your dead. Almost never happens that perfectly that he has every card he needs at every set if mana. Even if he did he has no minions ever played so your at full health and able to draw and flood the board still.....

Bottom line is it's never as perfect as you say it is and all though it is challenging it's definitely not impossible to play against nor is it the most difficult deck you have to deal with running agro warlock.

Warrior with heavy weapons is a lot harder to deal with.
Reply Quote
To be fair that is pretty much 9/10 matches you will have vs. a mage actually...

What's sad is Flamestrike is the least annoying spell they have... good mages don't even run it in there decks... Blizzard +CoC are 100x more annoying
Reply Quote
Dude to be fair, what you just outlined would be the greatest draw of cards ever for a Mage...... I mean yes it can happen and if your asking what do you do at that point I really have no answer, they draw that perfectly and your dead. Almost never happens that perfectly that he has every card he needs at every set if mana. Even if he did he has no minions ever played so your at full health and able to draw and flood the board still.....

Bottom line is it's never as perfect as you say it is and all though it is challenging it's definitely not impossible to play against nor is it the most difficult deck you have to deal with running agro warlock.

Warrior with heavy weapons is a lot harder to deal with.

This is what I run into more than half my games against a Mage and it's really not that hard to do. Even if it's not this exact combo there are still plenty of other options, such as Arcane Missiles or a spell damage minion + Arcane Explosion (bye bye blood imps). Even if he doesn't get exactly the right cards, some combination of the wrong ones plus fireblast work almost as well.

Note also that things like cone of cold and frost nova are very cheap to cast, so that's certainly not all he'll be doing.

I'm not saying they're OP or unbeatable, just saying that any of the master's decks I am seeing should lose every time to a Mage who gets a good pull, regardless of how the Warlock plays and I'd just like to know what I'm missing.
Reply Quote
I'd like to chime in.

I've been playing an aggressive Warlock deck designed to create favorable board trades for a while now, but I have no idea what I need to do in order to beat Mages. More than any other class, Mages just seem to be able to completely feign interest in anything I play and effortlessly shrug off my threats. I really have no idea what I should do.

I want to play aggressively against them because my curve is so low and capable of dealing a lot of damage early, but they never advance their board. All of my cards that are geared towards making favorable board trades, which are great against most of the other classes, become miserable draws. If I roll out my threats out as fast as I can, they just ignore my cards by fogging every turn until they clean everything up with a Blizzard or something similar. This puts me really far behind on cards. While I can use my hero power to draw more cards, it feels as though more cards do not actually help me because my cards usually can't deal damage the turn I play them. Then I risk getting killed by a Pyroblast and some other combination of spells.

If I decide to stagger my threats, then I give my opponent plenty of time to set up trades that are as favorable to him as possible because he doesn't need to worry about losing too much life. I won't lose as many cards due to an unfortunately timed Blizzard, but this typically won't matter because my curve is so low. When my opponent hits eight or more mana, my one and two mana threats become significantly worse if he's not at a low life total.

I play two Faerie Dragons, and while admittedly helpful, I feel as though they are not what I want to be doing against the Mage. One lone Faerie Dragon on the board will not be enough to pressure my Mage opponent. This means that I am incentivized to play additional threats, but in doing so make my Faerie Dragon very vulnerable to specific cards like Cone of Cold. If I don't advance my board, the Mage will just play one of their few creatures capable of killing the Faerie Dragon on the backswing. I could try and defend a Faerie Dragon with removal to protect it, but removal is shoddy against the Mage because they seldom play cards to advance their board, making removal dead most of the time.

Currently, I just try and flood the board with my hand as fast as possible and pray they don't have a Blizzard before I can deal them enough damage to put them in range of my Soulfires and Doomguards. I feel like the best solution would be to play one or two cards in my deck that just trump Mages. What that card is, I have no idea.
Edited by PinkiePie on 12/8/2013 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
What Froosh said... Until Blizzard finally pull their heads out of their backsides about Mage balance, (which sadly never happened in WoW, but I have fleeting hope for this game if enough people whine) you are, more often than not, going to be totally screwed against them.
Reply Quote
never overcomite to your board vs mages. always play around blizzard and flamestrike. in that time dont have minions with 4 health on board. you can play minons with 5 health cause he cant ping and flamestrike at 7-8 mana. never have 3 own minions on board. always trade his minions away. never try to burst him down, he will just use frost spells and then flamestrike or blizzard. dont draw too many cards cause you will come into pyrorange.

dont pressure your mage opponent too much, mage builds are designed to make you pressure and overcomite to board. only pressure as much, as an mage aoe still would be a good trade for you
Reply Quote
Hello,

I have a problem battle with mage because spells ignore taunt. Why we have a cards with taunt, when just ignore spells? It's really ridiculous to use "Life tap" and then draw a card while you against magician uses his ability and in addition use spells like Fireball, Pyroblast and Ice Lance and absolutely nothing you can do.

it is really stupid

some strategy?

Thx

Strategy against mage?

Hmm...First off, go ahead and bend directly over with the tips of your fingers touching your toes.

Second, close you eyes and remind yourself that this will pass. Try & think of rainbows & kittens.

Third, Ignore Mage player when he tells you, "You sure do got a pretty mouth boy, mustard and biscuits, Mmm Hmm." Go ahead and take what they give you. Avoid eye contact. Note how they smell of cheese and copy/paste as they come near you.

Lastly, let go of your manhood & dignity and while you que up for the next Mage in line.
Edited by Intoshadows on 12/11/2013 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
Aggro / rush decks work well against mages, especially when you use early play Divine Shield minions or a buffed up Faerie Dragon. Another nice combo is Power Overwhelming + Attack + silencing your minion, but be careful how you use your silences. You can also silence your own minions to remove freeze effects, but again, this will lose you a silence against an enemy minion.
Edited by Shro on 12/12/2013 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
If he has Coin, Manawyrm and mirror images, just leave
Reply Quote
Just rush them. Hopefully they don't draw both Ice Blocks and/or two Pyros before you overwhelm them.

Most mages aren't even running Flamestrike anymore, so with imps their board clear doesn't really kill anything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]