Priest can be beaten,but.......

So yes,you can be priest. Priest have like 50% win rate in masters i hear. Does that mean they are balanced?
Short answer: no.
Why? Because most wins against them are rush decks. In the current meta, rush decks are everywere, why? Because its a meta created by priest being op, the only answers to priests are:

-4 attack minions, but you can't take too many, you fill a deck with 4 attack minions to fight 1/9 classes(thou may not be a bad ideea,this days 1/2 or 1/3 games ar against priest anyways)
-rush decks and uth hunter decks, those who don't want to play priests are forced to play rush.

Things priests have going for them:
-shadow words pain and death
-shadow madness
-cabal priest
-holy nova
-mind control
-buffs
-can execute heroes from 10 hp for 4 mana, 15 hp for 10 mana,just like mages
-buffs and heals, making everything trade in the favor of the priest
-best 1 drop, northshire cleric, not only he has stats ahead of mana curve, for 3 mana a priest can make it a 5/5 on turn 2(turn 1 cleric,turn 2 power word:shield+inner fire),that they can heal to draw cards out of him,also,due to priest hero power it won't trade for the voidwalker,it will just bring hte priest a few cards,with the earliest hard removal on turn 3 if you are shaman(or naturalize if you feel like giving the priest more card advantage and you are druid),yes,there is silence,which priest has best acces to
-0 cost silence,4 cost aoe silence
-auchenai soulpriest,makes hero power 2 damage to anything,makeing it best hero power while he lives
-shadow form,1 will make it the best hero power for the rest of game,must i say what a second shadow form turns that into?
-lightspawn and lightwell ,amaizing minions
-can get acces to things they don't have for balance reasons,i saw priests take blessings of kings,shadowflame,hard removal of other classes

How do you play around all those? Of course,1 deck won't have all of the above,but how do i know what i prepare for? Do I prepare for shadow priest player? For mind controll? For buffs? Guessing wrong means i lose.
If i play like he does not have MC when he does,i lose. If i play like he does not when he has ,i lose.
People say bait them,only play big minions if you can counter them after . So play big minion,counter with second big minion,play third big minion,counter with fourth, and for fifth and sixth he has shadow word:death. So i need minimum 6 big minions to kill his removal,them how do i deal with his own big minions/buffed minions?or should 1/2 of my deck be big stuff?That is bad deck building against the rest of the classes.

I think there needs to be an entire rework of the class,not just a small nerf to MC.

Fun thing, priests say playing a high health minion in a turn and buffing him before he attacks is not viable as it takes 5 cards(can be done with 4,3 if you don't count the creature),yet they complain about uth hunter winning turn 7 with 7 cards.
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 04:15 AMPosted by Unjustified
can execute heroes from 10 hp for 4 mana, 15 hp for 10 mana

From this point obvious troll is obvious.
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 05:20 AMPosted by Hate
can execute heroes from 10 hp for 4 mana, 15 hp for 10 mana

Ever heard of Mind Blast and Holy Fire?
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Bartimaeus

That requires 3 specific cards in your hand and nobody runs Mind Blast anyway unless it is a priest rush deck, which by design of the priest class tends not to work nearly as well as a rogue/pally/warlock.
Reply Quote
Why? Because most wins against them are rush decks. In the current meta, rush decks are everywere, why? Because its a meta created by priest being op, the only answers to priests are:

-4 attack minions, but you can't take too many, you fill a deck with 4 attack minions to fight 1/9 classes(thou may not be a bad ideea,this days 1/2 or 1/3 games ar against priest anyways)
-rush decks and uth hunter decks, those who don't want to play priests are forced to play rush.

What a load of bullcrap. People don't use 4 attack minions just because Priests are "good" (they aren't). They use 4 attack minions, because they are around the strongest ones in the game. Argent Commander (4/3 with BOTH Charge and Divine Shield), Spellbreaker (4/3 with the always-useful silence), Yeti (super solid creature for 4 mana - 4/5), Silverhand Knight (yay, 4/4 with 2/2 summon)... there are many examples like that.

And people aren't "forced" to use rush decks because of priests. They use them because rush decks are the biggest lolstomp, cookie cutter way to easily win in Hearthstone. Yes, it's rushing that's a highly abused easymode strategy in the current top decks. Not being a Priest.
Reply Quote
not if youre a rouge. you just heal our hero power +1 more hp and i cant attack your minion if its already heavy. if you give us preparation you'll just MC our last card that we drop to survive. but we can sprint ye?
Reply Quote

That requires 3 specific cards in your hand and nobody runs Mind Blast anyway unless it is a priest rush deck, which by design of the priest class tends not to work nearly as well as a rogue/pally/warlock.

I had a priest deck at some point(disenchanted it ,i didn't like priest,also got bored of winning left and right with little challenge).
I used to run them,and they gave me so many wins. Nobody expects a priest to run those 3 cards,so they were not affraid to drop to 15 or even 10 if they had advantage(more so against warlocks and classes with weapons.As soon as they did,bang,15 damage to the face.

And 3 specific cards in hand means its bad? By same argument neither is mage double fireball+frostbolt good. And that combo takes 10 mana and 3 cards to deal 15 damage and freeze, the priest version is deal 15 damage+heal 5 to hero for 10 mana and 3 cards
Holy fire is 5 damage and 5 heal for 6 mana,while fireball is 6 damage for 4 mana,they are on par,or the holy fire is slightly better ,and everyone complains about fire ball. Holy fire is also better than lava burst cost-wise.
Reply Quote
12/02/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Unjustified
Nobody expects a priest to run those 3 cards,so they were not affraid to drop to 15 or even 10 if they had advantage(more so against warlocks and classes with weapons.As soon as they did,bang,15 damage to the face.

There's a reason that nobody expects Mind Blast. Because it's a f***n worst card that Priest can possibly run. No serious Diamond player would play Mind Blast Masters players just laugh at this.
Reply Quote

What a load of bullcrap. People don't use 4 attack minions just because Priests are "good" (they aren't). They use 4 attack minions, because they are around the strongest ones in the game. Argent Commander (4/3 with BOTH Charge and Divine Shield), Spellbreaker (4/3 with the always-useful silence), Yeti (super solid creature for 4 mana - 4/5), Silverhand Knight (yay, 4/4 with 2/2 summon)... there are many examples like that.

And people aren't "forced" to use rush decks because of priests. They use them because rush decks are the biggest lolstomp, cookie cutter way to easily win in Hearthstone. Yes, it's rushing that's a highly abused easymode strategy in the current top decks. Not being a Priest.

Yes, 4 attack minions are good ,i agree with that, but i said you can't make a deck only out of those ,you also need some early and late game(unless you play rush).I don't like keeping too many minions around same attack in a deck,yet i do with 4 attack,i started to use succubus,that i think is bad, just to get a creature the priest can't insta remove on turn 2....

Also yes,you are not FORCED to use rush,sorry,there i used a term that is way too strong for what i meant and i apologize,i mean you are ,how should i put it, encouraged to run those,when most opponents you face are priests/mages that have very strong late game,and getting to turn 10 means that 1/10 times they won.

Also please don't rage,i just got my 2 cents, my feedback on current priest balance, i didn't say anywere that 4 attack minions are bad, i just tryed to point that they have too many tools at their disposal, and that the may need a rework,and a decision with what bllizzard wants to do with them , as it stands , they can do allmost everything,with the only sure answers to them being rush/4 attack.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
The 4-attack minion thing actually occurred separately from Priests; the fact that Priests can't remove them is simply a perk, not the goal.

If your argument that Priests are ONLY not good because of the rush meta is true (and frankly, it very may well be), then we'll see this over time. That is, as rush metas become the norm, people will start playing decks that counter rush decks, which will make people steer away from rush. At which point, we'd see Priests spike up in their win rates, if you're accurate. Until we see this though, however, your statements are purely conjecture and should be ignored.

I should mention by the way that this type of "cycling" of metas is common in card games, where one deck type emerges popularly, so counter-types emerge against it, and the meta keeps shifting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]