Twisting Nether too expensive to cast

I realize it wipes the board clean, but considering it destroys YOUR OWN minions too, 8 mana just seems a bit harsh. It's practically unplayable, especially when you consider how most board wipes only hit your enemy. It should be a lot closer to 6 to cast, like other one-sided wipes. Or even 5 >_<
Edited by EddyDangerus on 11/30/2013 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Other board wipes are generally capped at ~2 damage. (Mages at ~4)
This is basically a guaranteed boardwipe to screw over the opponent's legendaries/heavy hitters which they'll try to cast after wiping your board first.
Reply Quote
Got to remember, Demons are cheap to cast. so if you had 10 mana and casted Twisting Nether, you could put out a void walker an something else. where as the enemy most likely wont have that choice.
Reply Quote
I would much much rather have flamestrike for 1 less cost, it's just a much better card.
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 01:30 AMPosted by TheGrimzz
Got to remember, Demons are cheap to cast. so if you had 10 mana and casted Twisting Nether, you could put out a void walker an something else. where as the enemy most likely wont have that choice.

That tempo rush with 1dmg voidwalker after Twisting Nether /sarcasm

Yeah, Twisting Nether could use some buff or change
Reply Quote
I think it's a deliberate choice that certainty cards like vanish and twisting nether are somewhat prohibitively expensive. These cards really support defensive, passive playstyles. They tend to end interesting games in an uninteresting way.
Reply Quote
I dunno, I always seem to find a way to get good utility out of it. It's a late-game card to begin with, so presumably you're using it when heavy-hitters and whatnot are starting to come out. Frankly, the way I play my Lock is to bait out all of my opponents minions, destroy them with Hellfire, Twisting Nether, Siphon Soul, and Abomination's deathrattle, and then spring in to action. I usually try to wait until they're down to 2 cards, or ideally are top-drawing, and then simply overpower them by sheer card advantage. Jaraxxus if necessary, but it usually doesn't take very long to win after I've cleared their 4, 5, 6 drops and legendaries. It's not difficult to maintain board control without putting too many of your own minions out with Locks, so I never feel like TN puts me at a huge disadvantage.
Reply Quote
12/02/2013 12:55 PMPosted by Acento
I dunno, I always seem to find a way to get good utility out of it. It's a late-game card to begin with, so presumably you're using it when heavy-hitters and whatnot are starting to come out. Frankly, the way I play my Lock is to bait out all of my opponents minions, destroy them with Hellfire, Twisting Nether, Siphon Soul, and Abomination's deathrattle, and then spring in to action. I usually try to wait until they're down to 2 cards, or ideally are top-drawing, and then simply overpower them by sheer card advantage. Jaraxxus if necessary, but it usually doesn't take very long to win after I've cleared their 4, 5, 6 drops and legendaries. It's not difficult to maintain board control without putting too many of your own minions out with Locks, so I never feel like TN puts me at a huge disadvantage.

Can we play together? I am very glad to see how you play out that strategy.
Reply Quote
11/30/2013 10:46 PMPosted by EddyDangerus
I realize it wipes the board clean, but considering it destroys YOUR OWN minions too

This isn't mentt to be cast when you have minions on board...
This is a lifesaver, and if you're really in trouble, you can do 1 for 3, or even more.

You know, that time where that shaman or paladin or murloc guy has like 6 minions on board?
8 mana sounds hell cheap to clear that !@#$.
Reply Quote
12/02/2013 05:41 PMPosted by DioBrando
Can we play together? I am very glad to see how you play out that strategy.

Better watch out, we got an internet tough guy here. Calling you out. lol
Reply Quote
Can you get some synergy with Deathrattle minions or return-minion-to-hand cards?

Cairne would wipe the board leaving your opponent with nothing, but leave you with a 4/5.

Cult Master would wipe the board and possibly give you a great card draw.

Youthful Brewmaster could let you bounce something back into your hand for next turn.

Power Overwhelming on a friendly minion to give it a big attack, then Twisting Nether the board after

Sacrificial Pact on a friendly minion to heal you, then Twisting Nether the board after.

It seems like it could be useful in some situations, but it is dead weight until turn 8... and you'd have to at least partially build your deck around it. It seems like a neat card, but I don't know that it stacks up against some of the other classes "big abilities" like pyroblast or mind control.
Reply Quote
Since it affects your side as well, it really needs to be toned down in mana cost. 6-7 seems fine.
At 8, it should almost be the opposite side only. Increase it to 9 or 10 for all I care. Would be more playable.
Reply Quote
I usually just twisting nether on turn 8 to set up for jarraxus.
Reply Quote

Cairne would wipe the board leaving your opponent with nothing, but leave you with a 4/5.

If you played cairne and he was left untouched it means your board position is decen,t therefore there is no need for you to use Twisting Nether.

Cult Master would wipe the board and possibly give you a great card draw.

Cult Master draw won't proc in this situation.

Youthful Brewmaster could let you bounce something back into your hand for next turn.

Useless move, you waste your whole turn, I would rather play twisting nether and then brewmaster (unless you have a really powerful minion on board).
Edited by Rysik on 12/5/2013 1:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Agreed. If it was a board wipe for the opponent only, then maybe the 8 mana cost is justified. But sacrificing your own board as well is too much. I've never seen one in play either and I doubt I will until some changes are made.
Edited by CapnCrunch on 12/5/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 01:30 AMPosted by TheGrimzz
Demons are cheap to cast.

Because most of them screw you in the process... A lot of warlock class cards need to be reworked... just accept it.
Reply Quote

You know, that time where that shaman or paladin or murloc guy has like 6 minions on board?
8 mana sounds hell cheap to clear that !@#$.

Not when a shaman can do the same thing with 3 mana or maybe a couple more if spell power is needed...
Reply Quote
Just make it 6 mana cost Blizzard and I won't quit :D

....Hey it worked for all the noobs who hated Unleash The Hounds right?
Reply Quote
Every class has garbage cards. Do people actually try playing Twisting Nether?!?
Reply Quote
In all honesty I think this card needs some form of reworking. It's complete garbage really. The payoff isn't there especially with other removal spells such as Hellfire and Shadowflame. Essentially it postpones your loss as your opponent usually already has a leg up on you and is just giving you a few more turns before the inevitable. I wouldn't really consider this card worth choosing but that's my opinion. 8 mana for full board removal including your own minions. I'll take my Power Overwhelming/ Shadowflame combo instead taking board advantage thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]