Having trouble fighting mages

I have a combo and card draw deck which has a pretty high win rate (currently 2 star platinum) but i am having a tough time against mages. While fighting them i tend not to spam the board cause of the large amounts of aoe they have and in nearly all the matches i have early board control. Then they wipe the board clean and just spam their spells on my hero to kill me off. Its driving me insane.
Edited by Cloud on 11/29/2013 5:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hello, Cloud.

Despite having the same nick, i also have the same deck and the same problem!

I try the best to avoid the early mana wyrm. Also it's quite obvious but, try to minimize the damage of AOE.

FF7 rules!
Reply Quote
Things with stealth are my strat. The don't last long after that first attack but you have something to use your buff spells on. Raging Worgen and that 4/2 Cat are in my deck.
Reply Quote
Since Mages have no heals mostly, the best way to kill them is just to rush your combos and try to win before turn 6 or 7 (depending if he has coin) so he can't flamestrike, or keep some combos to use after that.
Reply Quote
11/30/2013 07:58 PMPosted by ZellFk
Since Mages have no heals mostly, the best way to kill them is just to rush your combos and try to win before turn 6 or 7 (depending if he has coin) so he can't flamestrike, or keep some combos to use after that.

you try doing that with arcane missle,frostbolt,cone of cold,frost nova,blizzard and see how it goes most game.

You arent going to win in 6-7 turn against any mage in master3.
Reply Quote
I have an easy time with deck against most mages.

I use those card that gives free initial damage when you use it.

If your against any non healing hero, I find it best to keep up the pressure and get them on the defensive. Who ever gets on the offensive at the beginning of the game, normally wins that game.

Its just like WoW I guess, in a rogue vs mage, who ever gets the jump on normally has a higher win rate.
Reply Quote
Can you give examples of some of the cards you are using? I have the same strategy and try to only have 1 minion on the field at a time and yet mages seem to win easily against my aggressive/draw deck.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
Baiting out their AoE's usually works best for me. Save cards like the Defias for turns 4-5 instead of turn 1-2 as per norm so your side of the field looks "fuller" than it is. Bait out the blizzards, then reflood your field immediately afterwards. Yeah sometimes you'll eat a second blizzard right away, or a flamestrike the turn after... but it's what I've had the most success with.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice.Yea that's what I usually try to do but I find if there's more than one minion on my board every mage has a way to kill or stall them.

It does seem to come down to luck a lot, if I can get a lot of pressure with good draws early I can sometimes win if the mage hasn't drawn the right counters but if both I and the mage have great draws the match is heavily lopsided in favor of the mage.
Reply Quote
Practically every match now versus a mage goes like this, I control the board and play/counter the mage minions up until 5 mana or so. I try not to overload the board for aoe but at the same time the mage will just ignore my minions or freeze them while whittling down my hero health until turn 8 where if I don't have them dead, which seems near impossible since I can't use too many minions incase of aoe, I automatically die. This has happened every single game so far tonight against mages.(it doesn't help that I've played 5 mages for every 1 of another class)

I understand it's luck to have pyro and aoe in their hands every game but it happens more often than not and there's quite literally nothing I can do to win I just have to hope the mage makes a mistake or is incredibly unlucky. If both I and the mage draw perfectly the mage will completely dominate the match from turn 5 up and I have no chance whatsoever. Seems a little like poor design.
Reply Quote
I've been playing the standard rogue draw deck, with some slight modifications because I still don't have a few of the cards here and there. The other day, I finally got my first legendary out of a pack, Alexstrazsa, and I threw it into the deck for fun, even though it didn't seem like a very good fit to me, but hey, legendary!

I've been tracking my stats recently at Masters 3 level, and guess what? Adding Alexstrazsa has drastically improved my win rate against mages. Since I've added her into my deck, I've gone 8-1 against mages, and have not noticed a drop off versus other classes as a result. In fact, Alexstraza has also netted me a few wins against charge heavy warriors, and aggro heavy warlocks. The one loss that I had against a mage was not the typical freeze/pyro loss either, it was a result of heavy aggro in the early turns and a terrible hand on my side, and I lost by turn 6 or 7. I also beat the same mage in a second game.

If you're having trouble with mages, I would definitely try adding this one card into your deck if you can, it won't always save you, but it makes a significant difference. Nothing better than watching them blood mage / double fireball you down to 3 life, and then playing Alexstrasza and watching them rage quit.
Reply Quote
I normally have few problems with mages using this deck: http://i.imgur.com/hNwtnqa.jpg.

I play at masters 3 where it's about 50% mages. This deck is taken from the person who has the highest MMR in America.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]