Priests are not a consistent winner for me

I really enjoy priest. I like the resilience, the defensive aggressiveness; I've even played around with shadow and had a lot of fun with that.. sometimes. The issue I have is no matter what style priest deck I play, I feel my win chance is about 50/50 at best. And considering how much aggro I see now, it's often less than that. It just feels like I need the exact cards at the right time.

Watching Kripp and Artosis' priests deck at Blizzcon, very little happened before turn 4 so their deck was allowed to evolve into the later game. However, these days, I often die to aggro by turn 5. I have much consistent success with my rogue control or warlock aggro. I mean, yes, I have turned around some games against aggro with a good early hand and a turn 5 holy nova, but it seems like without a turn 5 holy nova, I'm done.

I've heard a lot of blogs talk about how priests are out in this aggro meta, and then you look at this forum with endless posts complaining about how amazing priests are. Are these forums biased? Should I shelve my priest for now and save the frustration?
Edited by Cruxxy on 12/8/2013 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wild Pyromancer. Git on it.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
There are still ways to be competitive as a Priest, but yes, forums are biased. Players have a tendency to think that whenever they lose a game, their opponent must have done something unfair.
Reply Quote
It is possible to make a Priest deck that is "okay" if you stack it with a ton of anti aggro cards. Ancient Watcher with the protector makers (sunfury protector and defender of argus) helps, or Wild Pyromancer with some low cost spells. In the end though, even doing those tricks is inconsistent and you will still lose more than you win against aggro.

Mage, Shaman, and Druid work much better at actually being a control deck. Even though they don't have the insane Mind Control to fall back on in the late game, they have their own powerful cards combined with much better early game and AoE solutions to slow down rush.
Reply Quote
Hmm idk, maybe you are not building the priest deck correctly? I play priest and I have a holy nova before turn 3 in just about every single game. Maybe its because I run a lot of draw/control, idk. But I find I never have problems with getting a holy nova. The problem is that holy nova does crap vs 3-4 health aggro which comprises 95% of the top tier aggro decks thus even if you pull it, you're still way behind.
Reply Quote
12/09/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Lancelight
Hmm idk, maybe you are not building the priest deck correctly? I play priest and I have a holy nova before turn 3 in just about every single game. Maybe its because I run a lot of draw/control, idk. But I find I never have problems with getting a holy nova. The problem is that holy nova does crap vs 3-4 health aggro which comprises 95% of the top tier aggro decks thus even if you pull it, you're still way behind.

I'm all for constructive debate. Maybe I'm not understanding your post. So if I were to build a better deck, I would have holy nova in my hand by turn 3 in just about every single game, but that doesn't matter any way because I'll still lose...?
Reply Quote
12/09/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Cruxxy

I'm all for constructive debate. Maybe I'm not understanding your post. So if I were to build a better deck, I would have holy nova in my hand by turn 3 in just about every single game, but that doesn't matter any way because I'll still lose...?

Sounds like you understood his advice. Now get on that.
Reply Quote
I think what I meant to say is that the card itself isnt really the issue. The problem is that you mentioned not getting a card you need by turn 5. This means you're deck isnt giving you what you need. Thus you could be missing some of the essential card draw drops. PWS is in excellent card draw option when you dont have access to a cleric or nat pagel. My guess would be that you're missing the nat pagel which is absolutely essential to any priest deck IMO. The more draw you do, the more chances you are to have that holy nova by turn 3/4/5. You can only use it at turn 5, but knowing you have it allows you to plan out what you're going to nuke ahead of time.

When playing as a priest, knowledge is power. This is why there are so many complaints about priests. People are losing their pants because priest players tend to be better players in general because they are thinking ahead of the game by planning things out. It takes a real player to play a control type deck in ANY TCG let alone just hearthstone. HS right now is FULL of wannabe TCG players, hence all the whining about things like MC which are easily sideboard countered. But since they have no concept of what a sideboard is, they have no idea that they need to have a sideboard IN their deck. I think its stupid having to put sideboard cards IN the deck itself, but hey, I can roll with it. Apperently 95% of everyone else has issues with that. MC is a sideboard card, my SB would ALWAYS contain one if hearthstone had a sideboard, but since it doesnt, my Mind Control goes in the deck itself resulting in lots of whining TCG newbies.
Edited by Lancelight on 12/9/2013 7:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
People are losing their pants because priest players tend to be better players in general because they are thinking ahead of the game by planning things out. It takes a real player to play a control type deck in ANY TCG let alone just hearthstone.

Stealing the other players minions willy nilly with no drawback is not skill.......

MC in arena = instant 9 win
Reply Quote
So for the sake of this thread, stick to constructed. And the focus is the best deck construction that leads to relatively consistent wins in this age of aggro.

I can see the merits of wild pyromancer, but I'd like to see a full deck with it. What are the cheap spells you include to trigger? Never really liked smite because it seems like just an early game card, and I've played the gimmicky divine spirit/inner fire build and while fun sometimes, also wasn't consistent. I guess smite would be a necessity.

Would you throw holy nova, abomination, and wild pyromancer all in the deck? Hmm...need to test
Reply Quote
I really enjoy priest. I like the resilience, the defensive aggressiveness; I've even played around with shadow and had a lot of fun with that.. sometimes. The issue I have is no matter what style priest deck I play, I feel my win chance is about 50/50 at best. And considering how much aggro I see now, it's often less than that. It just feels like I need the exact cards at the right time.

Watching Kripp and Artosis' priests deck at Blizzcon, very little happened before turn 4 so their deck was allowed to evolve into the later game. However, these days, I often die to aggro by turn 5. I have much consistent success with my rogue control or warlock aggro. I mean, yes, I have turned around some games against aggro with a good early hand and a turn 5 holy nova, but it seems like without a turn 5 holy nova, I'm done.

I've heard a lot of blogs talk about how priests are out in this aggro meta, and then you look at this forum with endless posts complaining about how amazing priests are. Are these forums biased? Should I shelve my priest for now and save the frustration?

if you dont win as priest, you're terrible.
Reply Quote
12/10/2013 05:40 AMPosted by Beardedragon
if you dont win as priest, you're terrible.

http://www.managrind.com/category/tournaments/tourney-deck-lists/
Why no priests?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]