Is it me or is Rogue's Hero power...

Posts: 562
...awful.

Just... awful.

I like the Rogue deck but I just can't bring myself to take it seriously because of just how bad the Hero power is. Maybe if it were a 2/1 weapon instead of a 1/2? I dunno. I just have yet to have a situation where having a 1/2 weapon was worth having.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Please, someone, enlighten me. Aside from poison I just don't see the appeal.

Bueller?
Reply Quote
Posts: 3
Im still new to the game, but I actually really like the hero power. Helps me take early board control by picking off low drops, taking off divine shields and what not. Super amazing against 1 drops, which usually have 1 health, finishing off harvest golems leftovers etc.
By playing rogue I've learnt that using the hero power as often as possible (against reasonable targets), is just great, even if it means i put myself on lowish health (between 10-20). Obviously depends on the class I play against and what spells he already used etc.
Reply Quote
Posts: 1,359
The damage per cost is the same as the other classes.

It counts as a weapon - some pirate cards (and others) works well since they have a synergy with weapons.
Reply Quote
Posts: 562
The damage per cost is the same as the other classes.

It counts as a weapon - some pirate cards (and others) works well since they have a synergy with weapons.


There are 3 I can think of all of which are round 3 or 4 plays unless you coin. So you can coin out and weapon up round 1. Round 2 drop the 2/1 charger, a 3/3 or a 3/3+taunt. All of which are sound openings; if you're lucky to draw as such AND if you're lucky enough to go 2nd. Unfortunately I'm not... I never am. And all of which can be done with similar uncommons without needing to waste a coin or round to pop 2 mana for a hero power.

I'm not seeing an advantage personally.

Either way you're still left with a 1/2 weapon which can't be used for anything other than plinking your opponent, provided he doesn't have a taunt (YAY! Taunts!!! /rolleyes), or trading damage with a */1 minion. Meanwhile the mage power can drop that */1 minion for the same mana cost, not being forced to trade damage and ON TOP OF ALL THAT doesn't have to worry about Taunt.

It seems to me that the Rogue Hero power is an uber gimped version of Mage.

If I *have* to trade damage with my otherwise useless Hero power, at the very least make it a 2/1 weapon so I can at least trade up with a 3/2 minion.

I dunno. I've wracked my brain trying to figure a way to turn my Rogue's Hero power to my advantage and I just can't find one aside from poison. And that just sucks in my mind.
Edited by Trickshaw on 12/8/2013 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Posts: 324
Having a 1/2 weapon is extremely useful for board control, especially in the early game. You get to do 1 dmg twice for 2 mana, while a mage would have to spend 4 mana over 2 turns to do the same. Say you get a bad draw and don't have a turn 2 play. Pull out your 1/2 dagger and hit them with it if you're really agro or save it. Next turn you can play your full 3 mana and still attack with your hero for 1. Now let's look at a mage in the same situation with a bad draw and no turn 2 play. Shoots a fireblast. Next turn if the mage wants to ping 1 dmg that's another 2 mana and probably a wasted turn.

Big difference is the fact that for 2 mana as rogue you have the dmg on reserve to use when you please. This isn't just useful in my bad draw scenario, but works throughout the game. You may lose some life, but it is usually worth it to dole out 2 dmg over 2 turns. Yes, in many situations the mage hero power is superior, but I would argue that there also scenarios where rogue power is superior.

Like you mentioned, poison on a dagger can turn games around. A turn 5 play that I love in my agro deck is hero power, poison, hit for 3, clear board with blade flurry. Rogues have tons of synergy with the hero power.
Edited by illogic on 12/9/2013 9:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Posts: 612
A common mistake for new players is to waste the dagger by attacking the opponent's hero when you might need it next turn.

With my deck, if I don't have a minion to play on Turn 2, I simply equip the dagger and pass. I never attack the hero with it unless:

1) I'm sure that I will have excess mana within the next 2 turns to re-equip it, or
2) I have another weapon in my hand that I'm planning to equip next turn.

The Rogue hero power is weaker than others, yes, but it's better than the Druid's because by equipping the dagger you basically "bank" those 2 damage for use on future turns.
Edited by Rubdown on 12/8/2013 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Posts: 562

The Rogue hero power is weaker than others, yes, but it's better than the Druid's because by equipping the dagger you basically "bank" those 2 damage for use on future turns.


Which oozes negate.

illogic mentioned previously the round 5 Blade Flurry shenanigan which is, again, reliant on poison and only supports my point in that Rogue's Hero power is sub par without poison.

I hate that I have to have poison in my deck in order for my Hero power to be worth a damn.

The other posters keep talking about trading with minions which is exactly the point I made in the OP. The fact that I'm face tanking damage to drop 1 health minions is counter intuitive. The only, and I do mean only, time this is beneficial is against pally's who are trying to sneak their 1/1 Hero powered minions under the radar for a Might/King's buff the next round and/or Imp Master peons under the same pretense; such as Warlock sac's.

Priests have multiples of cards which turn their Hero power into f*cking neutron bombs and every time I have to whip out my Rogue deck for a Rogue daily (because that's the only time I touch the damn thing anymore) I just cringe every time I look at that sad little token next to Valeera's avatar.

/le_sigh
Reply Quote
Posts: 612
12/08/2013 10:28 PMPosted by Trickshaw
Which oozes negate.

If my opponent oozes my 1/2 dagger, I'll gladly take that trade. Much better than oozing my blade after I've poisoned it, or even my Assassin's Blade.
Reply Quote
Posts: 324
Which oozes negate.

illogic mentioned previously the round 5 Blade Flurry shenanigan


I'm assuming you read the rest of my post to get to that little "lol this happens sometimes" bit at the end, so you know the bulk of it had to do with banking 2 dmg for use whenever you want. Rogue hero power is very useful even without poison, and I agree with Rubdown that in most cases I would be very happy if I could bait out an ooze on my 1/2 dagger.
Reply Quote
Posts: 46
I feel like the biggest problem compared to the mage power, is that you can't hit through taunt. The second biggest problem is that you take damage. Even if you only take 1 or 2 damage, it eventually stacks up, and you're sitting there with 14 HP and the opponent nukes you with Pyroblasts. I don't know... I like the fact that you can use your dagger for free the next turn, but I still feel like it's far too weak compared to the mage ping - which can trigger enrage!
Reply Quote
Posts: 16
12/09/2013 06:39 AMPosted by Pierce
I feel like the biggest problem compared to the mage power, is that you can't hit through taunt.


I might be crazy here guys, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it may be incorrect to compare the rogue hero power to a mage's. I think the mage hero power compares much more appropriately to the hunter or paladin hero power.

I think the rogue hero power is much more comparable to the Druid hero power. The druid can do 1 dmg for the current turn only, but can bank armor. They get to bank armor, but rogues get to bank that dmg for as long as they want.

I actually agree with the OP that the rogue hero power is a bit underwhelming comparatively speaking. I would suggest that instead of changing the hero power from a 1/2, leave it as is and add a 50% chance to evade the dmg taken. Rogues are notorious for that crap in WoW. I think that would fit much better.

So, if your weapon is on 1/2 charges, you get a 50% chance to evade the incoming dmg and if you successfully evade the dmg, you lose the other charge of the weapon (I see great things for pinging pesky divine shields with this). If it's on the 2nd charge, maybe a 25% chance to evade. The rng would compare nicely to sham hero power I think. Besides, it's more rogue-ish...
Reply Quote
Posts: 16
Or maybe instead of a 50% chance to evade, make it a 25% chance to evade and you don't lose a charge. Or switch it to 2/1 like the OP suggested and have a 25% chance to evade. I don't know.
Reply Quote
Posts: 3
I like it how it is, so far I've found that when I keep (or trade up to) high cost cards starting out, I can invest in my blade and use it to great effect. Either chip away at an exposed player or make that crucial kill to a weak attack minion. 2/1 would make it less useful starting out, and later on I need mana for combos..
Reply Quote
Posts: 1,346
The rogue Hero Power used to add +1 to your weapon attack if you had a weapon equipped. That needs to come back imo, but make it only apply for the turn.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]