Paladins Hero Power?

So I just got in Beta so I am curious as to how you guys think the Hero Power holds up to the other classes. Been playing mainly as a mage.

The best class to compare a Paladin to is a Shaman. The shaman has a 1/4 chance to basically spawn the paladins hero power but with a different name.

I think the shaman power is slightly better then the Paladin. Although you don't get a choice, all 4 of their totems come in handy. 1)Taunt 2)Heal 3)Spell power 4)1attack, 1 health
Personally the Paladin Hero power is basically a crappy version of the shamans because a mage just uses their power and kills it. When ever I see a paladin use their power I just feel like my opponent is wasting mana on their hero power.

I would just like to know your guys opinion on this. I think the 1/1 minions needs something maybe a 50% chance of getting charge and 50% chance of healing a friendly character by 1. I am still knew to actually playing hearthstone and not just watching it so my opinion could be completely wrong and the hero power could be decent. Just let me know your opinion on the hero power and how it compares to others.
Reply Quote
Think about it this way. If a paladin wastes his mana on his hero power, the next round the mage will waste his mana to kill it.

If the mage doesn't kill it and prefers to summon a minion or cast a spell which won't kill the useless hero power, then the paladin will buff the 1/1 and make it very valuable. That is how it works, paladins rely mostly on buffing, any minion of the paladin is a threat.
Reply Quote

If the mage doesn't kill it and prefers to summon a minion or cast a spell which won't kill the useless hero power, then the paladin will buff the 1/1 and make it very valuable. That is how it works, paladins rely mostly on buffing, any minion of the paladin is a threat.

or you could just play shaman and actually get good summons...

im just saying.

they have the ability to buff minions up as well, and for the purpose of quick trades shaman is actually better at it. not to mention all the totems are good and the worst totem in most people's eyes is literally the exact same thing as paladin's hero power at the best of times.
Reply Quote
The problem with the shaman's hero power comes from it being random. The player must adapt to the 25% chance drop per totem while the paladin can plan a head with the 1/1. As said above, buffing and rushing is paladins strength so even a 1/1 can be a threat if not taken care of.

IMO paladins power is one of the best, its great for helping efficient trading.
Reply Quote
12/12/2013 11:17 PMPosted by TheMaitomies
The problem with the shaman's hero power comes from it being random. The player must adapt to the 25% chance drop per totem while the paladin can plan a head with the 1/1. As said above, buffing and rushing is paladins strength so even a 1/1 can be a threat if not taken care of.

IMO paladins power is one of the best, its great for helping efficient trading.

Agreed. The Shaman totems are nice, but the Paladin's Reinforce really shines with those buff cards.

Think about it like this: you've got a few minions out in front of you, with say a 3/5 tank, some 4/3 or 4/2 others, and a 1/1 Reinforce out there. Assuming the enemy doesn't wipe the board completely, odds are at least one of those minions will survive until the next turn...

... at which point, a Paladin can buff that 1/1 with a BoK, BoM, and Blessed Champion, turning a 1/1 minion into a 16/5. For 10 mana, 16 damage is a MASSIVE hit, and a lot of the time will end the game right there.

And that's just with a 1/1 minion out. A 4/2 or a 6/6 will do even more damage.
Reply Quote
I think Paladin's hero power works well together with his blessings.. on it's own it's crappy, but with pally spells, it actually works well.

Summon 1/1 minion, enemy ignores it and hit you.. your turn, give your 1/1 minion a 4/4 blessing.. now you have 5/5 minion and hit the enemy. it's just a simple example, there are a lot more spells that pally uses that can make 1/1 minion very useful.. and in some cases, a much need minion.
Edited by Pedropenduko on 12/17/2013 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Frankely the paladin hero power is the weakest hero power. it is the only hero power that you have to wait a turn to reap the benefits of. all of the other hero abilities you get the benefits instantly, even the shaman totems give you there effects instantly minus the flame tongue totem which has the same problem. all you can do is hope that your tiny little minion can survive to the next turn to actually be of any use at all. While it's super satisfying to be like "HA this is what u get for ignoring my 1/1 minion" when u boost the crap out of it the next turn but I've been playing the pally and generally when your planning to use your boost spells on your 1/1 reinforcement its because all of your other minions are dead and you have no choice. It's then that u get set on this down words spiral of not being able to keep anything on the field long enough to fight back as your opponent slowly dominates the field.

The best way I can think of to bring the Paladins hero power back onto the same playing field as the other classes would be to give the Reinforcements charge. Having them be a charge would allow them to instantly be useful, allowing for stronger paladin pushes and a way for them to try to fight there way out of cards and top decking buff spells. additionally it would be nice if they were treated as normal minions when they were summoned so that they could be used to trip secrets like the mage copy card so that you arent forced to give the mage a copy of your top decked legendary just so u might stay alive that turn.
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 09:37 PMPosted by HolyTankadin
Frankely the paladin hero power is the weakest hero power. it is the only hero power that you have to wait a turn to reap the benefits of. all of the other hero abilities you get the benefits instantly, even the shaman totems give you there effects instantly minus the flame tongue totem which has the same problem.

This is so wrong. No hero power that effects the board can be considered close to as bad as warrior's or hunter's.
Reply Quote
I've thought of that too but it would probably change the meta and it would be super OP. It means on any turn you want you potentially do the following:

2mana - 1/1
4mana - BoK it to a 5/5
1mana - Blessing of Might it to an 8/5
1mana - Blessing of Wisdom
1mana - Divine Shield to kill an enemy minion
1mana - to divine shield it again
---
10 mana total

I mean sure it's a nuts combo and very unlikely but can you imagine the outcry the ONE time someone pulled it off? Even just a 5/5 with charge for 6 mana is pretty severe. Most chargers in the game die if used for removal and those that don't (argent commander) are considered OP.

The odds of that happening are so astronomical that frankly it deserves to be a charge to allow you to benefit from playing so many cards in one go. imagine doing all that without a charge and then u get shadow word: deathed before you can attack with it or god forbid mind controlled. thats 1 card to kill 6 and on top of that u got nothing out of it. or worse still u are forced to sit there holding onto that amazing combo and not being able to keep any minions on the board long enough to use it, becaue if your planning to us it on you hero token its because you litrerally have NOTHING ELSE to use it on, immagine doing that combo on a taunt monster like the goldshire soldier.

12/18/2013 07:04 AMPosted by ShadowcatX
This is so wrong. No hero power that effects the board can be considered close to as bad as warrior's or hunter's.

while i agree with you the hunter ability lacks utility and the warrior one may seem useless both of these effects still benefit you the turn you play them, i've lost to that hunter chip damage so many times.

And for the warrior that armor keeps on stacking, i've seen it get stacked as high as 14, the armor also combos well with the instant attack capability of you champion with a weapon.

The point they are both INSTANTLY effective and can be used to with the game that turn or for the warrior effectively boost there max health pool above 30 and make it take that much longer to kill them. In this game where you field can be wiped in a single turn if you don't have to deal instant damage to help even the play field you are left in the hopeless situation summoning everything you can, having it killed while your opponent can summon more monsters to keep attacking you with.

and as for "changine the meta".....THIS IS THE BETA! We are here to mold the meta to where all the classes are viable and balance the classes as best as we can before the game goes live. none of this is set in stone and now is the time to make changes.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 08:30 AMPosted by HolyTankadin

while i agree with you the hunter ability lacks utility and the warrior one may seem useless both of these effects still benefit you the turn you play them, i've lost to that hunter chip damage so many times.

And for the warrior that armor keeps on stacking, i've seen it get stacked as high as 14, the armor also combos well with the instant attack capability of you champion with a weapon.

The point they are both INSTANTLY effective

And again, you're wrong. Hunter's ability only ever has an effect on the game once, when it kills the opponent. It doesn't have an instant effect. Likewise warrior (unless you're running the card that does damage based off armor) only ever effects the game if your opponent would have dropped you below to 0 without it.

Paladin's however, puts a minion on the field now.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 09:43 AMPosted by ShadowcatX
And again, you're wrong. Hunter's ability only ever has an effect on the game once, when it kills the opponent. It doesn't have an instant effect. Likewise warrior (unless you're running the card that does damage based off armor) only ever effects the game if your opponent would have dropped you below to 0 without it.

so using the hunters ability 6 times in a game and then winning with a minion means the hunters ability had no effect on the game? lol I'm sorry but did u read that before u posted it?

and as for the warriors armor it is a purely defensive ability which is applied instantly. when combined with a weapon it will allow you to get rid of opponents minions without have to sacrifice much health because its purely defensive on your character i would personally say it is the second weakest hero ability after the paladin. perhaps allowing you to put the armor on one of you minions instead would make it a much more versatile ability.

but either way both these classes and every other class gains the effects that can help them THIS TURN, where as the paladins can do nothing for them until there next turn. Based on speed the paladins power and the shaman 1/1 tokens are the slowest,and there for weakest, hero abilities currently in game
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 10:11 AMPosted by HolyTankadin

so using the hunters ability 6 times in a game and then winning with a minion means the hunters ability had no effect on the game? lol I'm sorry but did u read that before u posted it?

Did you actually read what I wrote, I said it had an effect on the game exactly once, on the turn when the hunter wins. Use the hunter's ability and then lose, did the hunter's ability have an effect on the game? Life totals only matter if one of them hits 0, other than that the hunter's ability and the warrior's ability are totally irrelevant.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 11:06 AMPosted by ShadowcatX

Did you actually read what I wrote, I said it had an effect on the game exactly once, on the turn when the hunter wins. Use the hunter's ability and then lose, did the hunter's ability have an effect on the game? Life totals only matter if one of them hits 0, other than that the hunter's ability and the warrior's ability are totally irrelevant.

My brain hurts.

Does it "have an effect on the game" if you lose? What does that even mean?
Reply Quote

My brain hurts.

Does it "have an effect on the game" if you lose? What does that even mean?

/sigh

If you use the mage's hero power to ping off a divine shield, it has had an effect on the game. If you use the paladin's ability to generate a 1/1 it has had an effect on the game. If you use the hunter's ability to do damage, unless it kills your opponent it has not had an effect on the game.

Hero's life scores do not matter unless they reach 0.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 02:58 PMPosted by ShadowcatX
/sigh

If you use the mage's hero power to ping off a divine shield, it has had an effect on the game. If you use the paladin's ability to generate a 1/1 it has had an effect on the game. If you use the hunter's ability to do damage, unless it kills your opponent it has not had an effect on the game.

Hero's life scores do not matter unless they reach 0.

so what your saying is if a hunter has a strong minion on the field and uses his ability to bring you to low enough health that next turn he can finish you off and forces you to instead of going with the play you were going to us to deal massive damage to the hunter you are forced to change your play to get rid of the minion instead has no effect on the game?

Your logic is flawed sir, anything that deals damage to a player influences the game changing your play style based on how much health you have left. for example if u only have 10 health left your not going to use a weapon and have your character run into a 6/4 to keep your minions alive, but u might at 30 health. dealing damage to you opponent is the win condition of this and anything that does so greatly effects the game weather its a killing blow or not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]