How to play Rogue vs Mage Abuse?

So I'm using the Kithros deck that was posted a while back with a bit of variation:

x2 Backstab
x2 Deadly Poison
x2 Argent Squire (instead of Loot Hoarders)
x2 Eviserate
x1 Bloodmage Thalnos
x2 Defias Ringleader
x2 Novice Engineer
x2 Harvest Golem
x1 Questing Adventurer (Don't have VanCleef)
x2 Shattered Sun Cleric
x2 SI:7 Agent
x2 Dark Iron Dwarf
x2 Defender of Argus
x2 Gnomish Inventor
x2 Azure Drake
x2 Argent Commander

I had a lot of fun with it until today.

I'm hovering around rank 15 currently because I consistently lose to mages whether it be the freezing bull!@#$ with ice block, burn me down to 10 hp and turn 8 me, and other random stuff. Any other matchup seems okay (warlock can be a bit rough though). Since over half the matches in ranked seem to be versus mage I think I need a new or modified rogue deck that can deal with some of this stuff that can still be used effectively against other classes.

I'm thinking 2 Farseers in for Questing Adventurer and 1 Dwarf.
Voodoo Doctor dies for free vs mage but it's good for comboing and helps me live?
Spellbreaker might help vs freezing mechanics and can be useful in general. Dunno if it's worth it though.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply Quote
Silence seems to be the only real answer to the mages freeze BS. Im equally as frustrated with mages at the moment;. It wouldn't bother me f I were losing to more skilled players but I get the feeling im not. They simply have the flavour of the month deck. Pyro should be 10 mana not 8 that puts it in the same league as Mind control which I believe it is. As for your deck maybe throw in a couple of owls instead of the squires.
Edited by LED on 12/10/2013 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Use more charge minions and spells if mages are freezing you over and over.

I have a leeroy jenkins hes in my rogue decks along with a cold blood. Thats 10 damage in one turn so you can pyroblast them right back.
Reply Quote
12/10/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Curd
So I'm using the Kithros deck that was posted a while back with a bit of variation

Kithros is playing Mage so I hope that answers your question.
Reply Quote
I strongly recommend Cold Blood x2. It fits the theme of your deck more than heals and combos well with Argent Commanders who will then be capable of one-shotting Alexstrasza/Giants or applying enough pressure on the mage to buy you another turn.
Reply Quote
12/12/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Gunba
So I'm using the Kithros deck that was posted a while back with a bit of variation

Kithros doesnt only play rogue; hes a skilled player who happens to be known because of his rogue deck.Given its a new ladder and climbing the rank its a given he would play the class he has the easiest time with.
Reply Quote
Hrm. I haven't played my Rogue deck much since the new build, but Mage hasn't typically been an issue. Looking at my stats, I'm 3-0 against since the patch, 6-2 the past two weeks before. Here's a couple ideas.

Faerie Dragon. I've run two for a while--it's excellent early game against Mage, and it's also solid against Priest and other Rogues. Remember that the Mage can Cone of Cold if you play another minion next to it, so be patient and rely on your weapon if you can. Otherwise, keep it in the middle of your other minions. I've also run Perdition's Blade for a while. Instant damage and two swings for 2 (your Hero won't get frozen much).

Since the patch, with more than half of my matches with my other decks being against Mage, I've also added in an Assassin's Blade, a Spiteful Smith (great AoE coverage), and Ragnaros. I see Cold Blood suggested above, also an idea.

Ultimately though, I have a very similar deck to yours, so your tactics probably need work. You have to be very patient against Mage and know when to anticipate Cone of Cold and Blizzard. Keep a count of their freezing spells, play the odds of them having a second. Bait Fire Blast usage in early to mid-game to hurt their tempo, and save your buffing minions (especially Dark Iron Dwarf) for when your minions aren't frozen, and know when to pressure. If you see a Fireball against one of your minions instead of your Hero, you're in good shape.
Reply Quote
12/12/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Asura

Kithros doesnt only play rogue; hes a skilled player who happens to be known because of his rogue deck.Given its a new ladder and climbing the rank its a given he would play the class he has the easiest time with.

Maybe. In either case it seems like traditional rogues are not doing so well. Trying to get past rank 15 by playing a pre-patch budget netdeck that hasn't been updated in a while might not be the best idea.
Reply Quote
I disagree with cold blood. It is cute, but it is inconsistent. Instead of dark iron dwarves, try spellbreakers, once frozen these can act as seudo argent commanders unfreezing a guy, and are also good in other match ups. Without them you have less punch, and this also makes argent squires worse. I would recommend also taking out argent squires and putting in the loothoarders again. The best way to beat mage is keep overloading board and getting in damage with cards that replace themselves. You never run out of resources and can keep the pressure on.

Also, with so much card draw in the rogue deck, don't be afraid to run more 1-of situational cards. With so much card draw you have a good chance of seeing these situational cards. Stuff like sap, shiv, fan of knives, conceal, auctioneer, legendaries, whatever you can think of. You can have 10-14 cards that draw cards/replace themselves, so its worth concidering this to tweek your deck more to the metagame.
Reply Quote
I am running nearly the same deck on my rogue and also having extreme difficulties against locks/mages (pretty much 80% of what everyone is playing..). Any other class I can put up a fight. I'm even running assassinate, a heal guy, and one silence guy. Might need to put together a whole new deck.
Having the same issue with my shaman control and aggro decks.
Edited by Clackerr on 12/13/2013 1:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've be running Kithros's rogue deck. I can hold my own against anything so far at rank 13 except control mages. So far its been pretty much game over from the start when I go up against one
Reply Quote
I am also running Kithro's rogue deck. My only change has been Hogger for Van Cleef (I do not own VC.) I did not lose a single match up until rank 13, at which point I lost to three mages in a row. I quit for the night, wondering if I was on tilt.

I definitely think the deck is 100% effective against everything other than Mages. Looks like we will have to make a new deck, or hope for >50% non-mage.
Reply Quote
Rogues just don't have any defensive cards to deal with direct spells. It's either draw a great hand and apply pressure nonstop from the start of the match until the end or lose.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]