Rethinking Viability of my Priest

Now that MC has been nerf-ed, I'm wondering about the viability of a priest deck in higher level of play. Now that it was a unjustified nerf, but I'm looking for advice on improvements in my current deck.

Power Word: Shield x2
Argent Squire x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Shadow Word: Pain x2
Acidic Swamp Ooze x2
Novice Engineer x2
Shadow Word: Death x2
Raging Worgen x2
Shattered Sun Cleric x2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta x2
Spellbreaker x2
Holy Nova x2
Sylvanas Windrunner x1
Argent Commander x1
Prophet Velen x1
Ragnaros x1
Mind Control x2

It's basically a modified version of the fairly famous "Dr. Draw" deck. Over time I may have made some less-efficient changes to the deck and the deck has been lacking for awhile now. There just doesn't seem to have the synergy required to win a diamond1-3 game anymore. Should I scrap it and work on something new?
Reply Quote
Priests aren't, and haven't been, tournament viable. If you're not playing Mage, you're fighting against the current.

The MC nerf is a wake-up call to how out-of-touch your deck is with the high-end aggro meta. You have too many do-nothing minions that will clutter up your hand until Turn 7+, by which point you've conceded board advantage. I guess against bad players, they wouldn't have enough out and an MC swung the game for you? But against anyone worth a crap, you'd already have been losing.

Evaluate what you're doing on Turn 1. Turn 2. Turn 3. Turn 4. Turn 5. Establish how you get board control by Turn 6, and how you're staying alive. You'll improve your wins regardless of class more by looking at early-game synergy.
Reply Quote
Priests aren't, and haven't been, tournament viable. If you're not playing Mage, you're fighting against the current.

The MC nerf is a wake-up call to how out-of-touch your deck is with the high-end aggro meta. You have too many do-nothing minions that will clutter up your hand until Turn 7+, by which point you've conceded board advantage. I guess against bad players, they wouldn't have enough out and an MC swung the game for you? But against anyone worth a crap, you'd already have been losing.

Evaluate what you're doing on Turn 1. Turn 2. Turn 3. Turn 4. Turn 5. Establish how you get board control by Turn 6, and how you're staying alive. You'll improve your wins regardless of class more by looking at early-game synergy.

This seems like the case. Priest decks feel like fodder to aggro decks. Priests have some decent board clearing tactics until higher rankings when people learn to buff or play 4 health minions.

Otherwise Priests are way too strong late game and incredibly weak early game. If you can control the board and survive to turn 8 with a decent amount of health, you could probably pull off a win. A good aggro deck can usually kill us by turn 7 or 8 though.
Reply Quote
If it was up to me, I'd swap the Argent Squires for River Crocolisks. 3 health is hard to get rid of early on, and they give easy board control. Around round 4, a Yeti should do the trick.
Also, it's easy to pull a Mind Control when you have two of them, and it's 10 mana, so it's horribly inefficient to have more than 1 unless you do high sustain play and aim to survive until turn 10-11. Might happen, but not if you pull two mind control around turn 3-4.

Don't take my word as good advice though, I've just been playing for two days.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]