Equality/Wild Pyromancer is too cheap

So I don't think Paladins are OP or need to be nerfed, but Equality+Wild Pyromancer is half the cost of Twisting Nether and that is flat out too cheap.

Equality+Consecrate is already fantastic removal and costs 1 less than Flamestrike, but Pyro+Equality is even cheaper than that. And it can be played 4 turns earlier than Nether.

Now I realize it does cost 2 cards instead of one, and that does add some cost that makes a strict comparison to Nether somewhat less valid, but it is still ridiculously effective for a 4 mana play. Too effective, even.
Edited by GamerPiggy on 12/16/2013 5:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
It's a combo that has good value for the cost of 2 cards. As for twisting nether, I've never had it used against me in a ranked game. Ever. Maybe it's cost needs to be brought down? See Hellfire below.

The paladin's board is cleared or hurt severely in the process here too you know. Even equailty + consecrate is mostly for when you're at a decidedly board disadvantage because your big guys that you have out go to 1 hp too.

Flamestrike is enemy only it's great board clear. 4 damage 7 mana

Helfire is 1 card and it does mostly the same thing. 3 damage 4 mana

I'd say it's about even. You put out 2 cards to make it happen and they both have to be in your hand to make it work, making it unreliable. If you have board advantage it's a resource that goes unused, obviously.
Reply Quote
12/16/2013 05:53 AMPosted by GamerPiggy
So I don't think Paladins are OP or need to be nerfed, but Equality+Wild Pyromancer is half the cost of Twisting Nether and that is flat out too cheap.

Equality+Consecrate is already fantastic removal and costs 1 less than Flamestrike, but Pyro+Equality is even cheaper than that. And it can be played 4 turns earlier than Nether.

Now I realize it does cost 2 cards instead of one, and that does add some cost that makes a strict comparison to Nether somewhat less valid, but it is still ridiculously effective for a 4 mana play. Too effective, even.

First, as you realize this takes twice as many cards to pull off the same effect as twisting nether does. Cards are a resource. Twice as many cards, half as much mana.

Anyways, ignoring that, as has been pointed out, Twisting Nethers is a bad card.
Reply Quote
Name a Paladin specific card that can be used as single target, hard removal. Given a moment of deliberation, you may come to realize that it is the only class for which one does not exist. Moving right along.
Reply Quote
There is a downside...... If you have minions of your own... Rarely do I get a chance to use it when I have nothing on the board.

It's a great combo yes, considerably overpowerd vs some decks, however, it does have a drawback.
Reply Quote
12/16/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Jimmyjames
Name a Paladin specific card that can be used as single target, hard removal. Given a moment of deliberation, you may come to realize that it is the only class for which one does not exist. Moving right along.

they dont need them though since they have equality, peacekeeper rending any big card useless on top of weapon.
Reply Quote
So people are pointing out how there's a disadvantage of losing your own minions, but no aggressive Paladin would run this combo. This is pretty much something you'd only see in a late game deck.

I agree that Twisting Nether is a bad card, but a turn 4 Twisting Nether is considerably better. One of the many reasons that were thrown around for nerfing Mind Control was that it's equivalent to a Faceless Manipulator+Assassinate, a combo which costs 10 mana. This is pretty much the same situation except now the Faceless/Assassinate combo costs 5 mana. Ridiculously strong.
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 12:17 AMPosted by GamerPiggy
This is pretty much the same situation except now the Faceless/Assassinate combo costs 5 mana. Ridiculously strong.

What...? Just...what?
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 05:55 AMPosted by Aphexis
This is pretty much the same situation except now the Faceless/Assassinate combo costs 5 mana. Ridiculously strong.

What...? Just...what?

I meant within the context of the analogy. Faceless+Assassinate is to Pyro+Equality as MC is to Twisting Nether, except Pyro+Equality costs half as much as it's one card equivalent. One of the many reasons people wanted MC nerfed was because it was equivalent to Faceless+Assassinate, but less in cost.
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 09:19 AMPosted by GamerPiggy

What...? Just...what?

I meant within the context of the analogy. Faceless+Assassinate is to Pyro+Equality as MC is to Twisting Nether, except Pyro+Equality costs half as much as it's one card equivalent. One of the many reasons people wanted MC nerfed was because it was equivalent to Faceless+Assassinate, but less in cost.

It's not the same at all. With Faceless, you get a copy of their minion... Killing everything with Pyro+Equality leaves no minion alive, not even yours.
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Aphexis

It's not the same at all. With Faceless, you get a copy of their minion... Killing everything with Pyro+Equality leaves no minion alive, not even yours.

No, no. You misunderstand. The effect of Faceless+Assassinate is equivalent to Mind Control, so many people reasoned that because the Faceless combo cost 10 mana, Mind Control should also cost 10 mana.

I think the same logic should be applied to the combo of Wild Pyro+Equality that was applied to the Faceless combo. That is: the cost of the two card combo should be equivalent or near the cost of the single card that achieves the same effect.
Reply Quote
Twisting Nether is a good card, the problem is that it's a warlock card.
If it were on another class you would see more use from it.
The last thing warlocks want is clearing a board without being able to play anything as warlocks thrive on board control.
Reply Quote
Equality + pyro 4 mana
Flamestrike 7 mana for 4 dmg. TOTALLY BALANCED and people cry about mages. LOL SCRUBS L2P
Reply Quote
I couldn't agree more too this, the most ridiculous board clear in the game. Actually Paladins should not be able to use wild pyromancer.
Reply Quote
Wild pyromancer plus equality only costs 4 mana, and kills everthign you have regardless of health, unlike other board clears.
Reply Quote
i doubt the guys who calls for the nerf even play a pally, without equality paladins have no class specific cards that can kill raggy or yesera, as someone pointed out we can aldor peacekeeper big minions but that simply is not enough and sometimes worthless as they can get silenced and changing a minions attack to 1 is not a hard removal and in some cases does not even matter.

coming back to the wild pyro/ equality combo, without the use of wild pyro we would be entirely dependent on consecration & avenging wrath when facing mages, rogues and druids as their hero power cancel entirely our own and without a wombo combo equality pretty much lost its power.

now you might say 4 mana is too cheap but you keep forgetting that the cheapest damaging card paladins have cost 4 compared to other classes which is mostly 2 with claw, holy smite and arcane shot costing 1 and soulfire and backstab costing 0 , meaning against rush decks we are completely screwed and having that wombo combo is how you recover after your opponent took board control completely with his efficient removers when we have none until turn 4.
Reply Quote
The combo is cheap on mana because it takes 2 cards. Mana isnt your only resource, cards is a resource aswell, the most important one that is.

That is why the combo is low on mana, its removal that requires more than 1 card.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 08:01 PMPosted by ETtactics
I couldn't agree more too this, the most ridiculous board clear in the game. Actually Paladins should not be able to use wild pyromancer.
its a neutral card so paladins have every damn right to use it. get over it noob
Reply Quote

I'm glad Blizzard ignores alot of the feedback they get when this is the sort of feedback people give them...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]