Rank 8 Cheap Warrior Deck (CC=700)

My Stats: http://i.imgur.com/EGOwSeB.png?1

Currently rank 8 with this deck, but it's probably inflated because I just logged off after a 17-win streak with it.

The total craft cost is 700, so the whole deck is achievable in about 4-7 arena runs (took me 6, but I haven't even opened an epic yet, much less a legendary.)

Here it is:

Rares (3 = 300 CC):
1x (2) Knife Jungler
2x (6) Argent Commander

Commons (10 = 400 CC):
2x (1) Abusive Sargent
2x (1) Argent Squire
2x (2) Mad Bomber
2x (2) Loot Hoarders
2x (4) Dark Iron Dwarf

Basic (7):
2x (2) Novice Engineer
1x (3) Raid Leader
2x (4) Chillwind Yeti
2x (4) Gnomish Inventor

Warrior Basic (10):
2x (1) Execute
2x (2) Fiery War Axe
2x (3) Warsong Commander
2x (4) Kor'Kron Elite
2x (5) Arcanite Reaper

Deck demolishes other warrirors (9-0 in mirrors)
Does decent against mages and Rogues (like 65-35)
Gets crapped on by paladins and so far by druids too (like 40-60, but I think the druid one might be closer to 50-50 as I'm slowly learning how to play vs them).
Haven't played more than a couple of priests but I've never lost to a priest either.
Warlocks are coin toss, and so are shamans.
Hunters blow now, and I literally have not played against a single one

Obviously my winrate is inflated because I just got off a huge 3 hour long winning streak with that took me from rank 16->rank 8, so I don't know how true the numbers are, but I'm close to winning 75% of my games with this deck.

EDIT: I can't maths.

Edit 2: added stats.
Edited by Vaporaction on 12/13/2013 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
I can't quite see why it does so well, I mean... I can see it being a decent warrior deck but doesn't seem incredibly to my eyes. I'll certainly give it a go for a few games and perhaps add my own twist if I like it.
What tactic do you go with? Go for the face at all times? Go for board control?
Reply Quote
I like the Argent Squire + Abusive Sergeant + Dark Iron Dwarf package, I might have to give that a try in my deck. Execute with Argent Squire also seems sweet.

This deck doesn't seem like it makes great use of Warsong Commander, with most of the more aggressive drops already having Charge. I also feel like there's a Shattered Sun Cleric-sized hole in the list, have you tried her out? You're pretty heavy on 4s and light on 3s. Frothing Berserker too
Edited by Gyll on 12/13/2013 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/13/2013 07:46 AMPosted by Heathcliff
I can't quite see why it does so well, I mean... I can see it being a decent warrior deck but doesn't seem incredibly to my eyes. I'll certainly give it a go for a few games and perhaps add my own twist if I like it.
What tactic do you go with? Go for the face at all times? Go for board control?

I don't think this deck is easy to use by any stretch of the imagination~!! It's much more complicated than an Ice Mage or OTK Hunter which can basically be learned in 30 minutes or so. This deck is incredibly reactionary and requires knowing your opponents decks so that you have the correct answer for everything they play (i.e. against some good druids sometimes I let their 8/8 giants live for a couple of turns and whack them in the face until they're forced to waste cards buffing it up so I can execute it and gain value).

If I went through my thinking process for each class and their deck it'd take me a couple hours for each one, but generally the reason why it does so good is that almost all of the cards are useful in every situation from early game to late game (takes a lot of experimenting and Druid/Shaman is especially complicated to play against).

The other huge strength in this deck is the lack of bad hands you have in your disposal. It's seriously difficult to get one (maybe 1 in ten games do I get a hand that's bad even though I mully everything when I don't get a war axe.)

There is so many safety nets for early play that other Warrior decks don't have. You have Argent Squire which is easily the best turn 1 drop in the game, then there's all the draw card creatures which makes it very easy to get a weapon even if you don't start out with one. Not only that, but they're way more efficient than the warlocks ability, and the draw cards are what gives you a pretty big edge when you play one. There's also a Knife Jungler, and in extreme scenarios you have yolo bomber. Basically instead of relying on drawing 2-4 really overpowered cards to give you an early game advantage like in most warrior decks, you have 13 cards at your disposal.

12/13/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Gyll
I like the Argent Squire + Abusive Sergeant + Dark Iron Dwarf package, I might have to give that a try in my deck. Execute with Argent Squire also seems sweet.

This deck doesn't seem like it makes great use of Warsong Commander, with most of the more aggressive drops already having Charge. I also feel like there's a Shattered Sun Cleric-sized hole in the list, have you tried her out? You're pretty heavy on 4s and light on 3s. Frothing Berserker too

Before the nerf I used Shattered Sun Cleric a lot and it was really good imo, but between the rigged golem that can kill off two of them, blizzard, starfire etc etc. I realized that she's simply become a dead card more often than not. If it was a 3/3 again, I'd probably reconsider putting it in over the yetis, but as is, I really think she's one of the worst cards in the game.

The reason I don't use Frothing Berserker is because it gives the opponent a turn or two to do something and gain value.

Finally, Warsong Commander is NOT used very well. But it's OP as hell anyways so you don't need to use it well to make it effective. In this deck, the card really shines as a situational win card in the very late game when you're about to lose/have zero board control. Sometimes, the game lasts for long enough that I can win with a lucky raider leader and 2-3x 1 drops on turn 9+. It's not fancy, but all the 1 drops have really good utility in the deck throughout the game as control cards and Raid Leader + 1 drops is actually a lot more damage than many of the alternative combos I've seen proposed in other decks.
Reply Quote
very impressive as a warrior with a cheap deck.
Reply Quote
I first want to say a big CONGRATS for hitting rank 8 as warrior. Its certainly not a FOTM class and while i was able to hit rank 9 with my warrior deck (yay 80th in NA), it was not easy. I probably could have gotten higher, but I got bored after playing against the 8th mage out of 10 matches so I've switched to arena for a while.

The only suggestion I have is to adjust your deck based on the meta, especially now that you are hitting the higher ranks. Saying your deck destroys Warriors is nice and all, but when you face a warrior 2% of the time, is that worth it?

I would probably make a few tweaks to tilt your matchup against druids and mages even more, since these seem to be in large numbers.

Good luck with the deck and hope you keep smashing!
Edited by Acula on 12/13/2013 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/13/2013 02:27 AMPosted by Vaporaction
Currently rank 8 with this deck, but it's probably inflated because I just logged off after a 17-win streak with it.

The total craft cost is 700, so the whole deck is achievable in about 4-7 arena runs (took me 6, but I haven't even opened an epic yet, much less a legendary.)

Here it is:

Rares (3 = 300 CC):
1x (2) Knife Jungler
2x (6) Argent Commander

Commons (10 = 400 CC):
2x (1) Abusive Sargent
2x (1) Argent Squire
2x (2) Mad Bomber
2x (2) Loot Hoarders
2x (4) Dark Iron Dwarf

Basic (7):
2x (2) Novice Engineer
1x (3) Raid Leader
2x (4) Chillwind Yeti
2x (4) Gnomish Inventor

Warrior Basic (10):
2x (1) Execute
2x (2) Fiery War Axe
2x (3) Warsong Commander
2x (4) Kor'Kron Elite
2x (5) Arcanite Reaper

Deck demolishes other warrirors (9-0 in mirrors)
Does decent against mages and Rogues (like 65-35)
Gets crapped on by paladins and so far by druids too (like 40-60, but I think the druid one might be closer to 50-50 as I'm slowly learning how to play vs them).
Haven't played more than a couple of priests but I've never lost to a priest either.
Warlocks are coin toss, and so are shamans.
Hunters blow now, and I literally have not played against a single one

Obviously my winrate is inflated because I just got off a huge 3 hour long winning streak with that took me from rank 16->rank 8, so I don't know how true the numbers are, but I'm close to winning 75% of my games with this deck.

EDIT: I can't maths.

Why are you not on the top 100 list if you made rank 8? The lists NA & EU was done right at the time you posted this and you name is nowhere to be found.
Reply Quote
The only suggestion I have is to adjust your deck based on the meta, especially now that you are hitting the higher ranks. Saying your deck destroys Warriors is nice and all, but when you face a warrior 2% of the time, is that worth it?

The deck wasn't designed to destroy warriors. It just happened that it does destroy warriors :D

I'd be glad to know what I can add to it that would make it better vs druids though. I think that warrior vs druid is just a !@#$ty match up.

12/13/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Jac
Why are you not on the top 100 list if you made rank 8? The lists NA & EU was done right at the time you posted this and you name is nowhere to be found.

I don't know ? If you really want proof you can add me and look at my icon.. lol.
Reply Quote
capable on paper but doesn't really take advantage of the warrior's fast aggressive playstyle. you could probably use at least one faster win condition. with 2 arcanite reapers and 2 fiery war axes, i think you should throw at least one bloodsail raider. 2 mana on either a 5/3 or 7/3 given the weapon and especially considering how easy it is to give a warrior minion rush and that the card is only a white, it fits well with this deck i think. i personally would also add some draw support with acolyte of pain and slam, and acolyte of pain synergizes quite well with enrage minions via whirlwind, and gurubashi berserker could serve as an even faster win condition. with inner rage and cruel taskmaster both giving it +5 attack at the cost of 1 health, gaining 3 attack per whirlwind. you'd have to drop probably 10 cards from your deck but it's definitely viable and would still keep the arena feel of your deck. this is all based on my own experiences with budget warrior decks and above anything else i'm speaking to how dynamic budget warrior decks can really be, because this deck is really more of a template than anything else. not that that's a bad thing
Reply Quote
what do you do against decks that have good draw? im really at a loss vs smart hunters because they buzzard their snake traps =(
Reply Quote
capable on paper but doesn't really take advantage of the warrior's fast aggressive playstyle. you could probably use at least one faster win condition. with 2 arcanite reapers and 2 fiery war axes, i think you should throw at least one bloodsail raider. 2 mana on either a 5/3 or 7/3 given the weapon and especially considering how easy it is to give a warrior minion rush and that the card is only a white, it fits well with this deck i think. i personally would also add some draw support with acolyte of pain and slam, and acolyte of pain synergizes quite well with enrage minions via whirlwind, and gurubashi berserker could serve as an even faster win condition. with inner rage and cruel taskmaster both giving it +5 attack at the cost of 1 health, gaining 3 attack per whirlwind. you'd have to drop probably 10 cards from your deck but it's definitely viable and would still keep the arena feel of your deck. this is all based on my own experiences with budget warrior decks and above anything else i'm speaking to how dynamic budget warrior decks can really be, because this deck is really more of a template than anything else. not that that's a bad thing

lol, feels like you want him to gut his deck and rebuild the normal style of deck.
Reply Quote
12/13/2013 05:51 PMPosted by VirgilDiablo

Well, good on paper is a bit wrong! I got to rank 8 with it!! That being said, it is definitely is by no means the best deck in the world, but it certainly lets newer players compete with those who have paid 2 win.

Also, I realize the deck might be a template for other decks, and I really encourage you to experiment! But there are reasons why the cards I picked are being picked up and since I was too lazy to explain them at the start so I'm doing it now!

So without further ado: the reason that Gurubashi/Bloodsails/Frothing/Enraged Minions are not in this deck, is that more often than not, they simply turn into dead cards that do nothing except waste space in your hand and make you have a biggie frownie face as you get stomped.

Acolyte of pain is, imo, just plain worse than the other card draws that I've put in the deck unless you use cards that synergize with it. Having an UNRELIABLE draw, is always worse than having an extra card immediately. And yes, I know Loot Hoarders is an unreliable draw, which makes it kind of crap. But because it hard counters a lot of 2 drops like Oozes, Sun Shattered Clerics, breaks even with combo'd defias, comes out ahead against Argent Commander, it's a pretty solid card imo.

Moreover, making a deck that synergizes with Acolyte of Pain would have some severe trade offs and slow down the speed and aggressiveness of this deck as you'll be sacrificing board control for card draw.

Whirlwind is useless against most mages, druids, shamans, paladins, which are the match ups you warriors struggle the most at. Sure you might get your card back with an acolyte of pain, but there is better card draw than something that situational.

Finally, Cruel Taskmaster is a very solid choice, but I really just believe that bombers is a better card, so I use them instead (potentially does more damage, can hit stealth, is 3/2 vs a 2/2).
Reply Quote
12/13/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Chobo
what do you do against decks that have good draw? im really at a loss vs smart hunters because they buzzard their snake traps =(

Mad bombers/knife jungler are hard counters to it.

Both those cards won't trigger snake traps, moreover, the warrior cards are really cost efficient so that even if the opponent gets 3 extra cards off you, more often than not, you can still catch up.
Reply Quote
but mad bomber is such a bad card in so many cases D:
Reply Quote
12/13/2013 10:22 PMPosted by Chobo
but mad bomber is such a bad card in so many cases D:

Originally, I tried taskmasters/elven archers over bombers, but after play-testing the bombers, I realized they were both weaker versions of the same card, so I swapped them out.

That being said, if you really don't like the luck component, I'd suggest you just switch out the bombers for cruel taskmasters/elven archers.

That deck should still do pretty well, but it's not going to do as well as this version.
Reply Quote
Thanks for sharing the deck. It's quite different comparing to other warrior deck.
Reply Quote
I'm hoping to make a similar deck, however I'm missing a few cards, have almost no dust, and don't want to go disenchanting things I don't have doubles of yet.

It looks like execute is your only spell, everything else is weapons / minions, this seems to pan out well for you? My current warrior deck is far from what I envision for it.

12/13/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Jac

I'm sure those lists were done ahead of time, so any last minute changes were likely not reflected.
Reply Quote
I know this deck is cheap. Are there any more expensive cards that you would put in if you had the dust, that would also make it better? Which cards would they replace?
Reply Quote
This deck is the most great cheap deck I've ever played. Thank you Vaporaction.
Reply Quote
12/14/2013 08:48 PMPosted by Chenobi
I know this deck is cheap. Are there any more expensive cards that you would put in if you had the dust, that would also make it better? Which cards would they replace?

Same, I would like to know which blues would improve your deck :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]