Holy Wrath needs to be changed

Ok, so for all that aren't familiar with Holy Wrath, it does the following:

"Draw a card and deal damage equal to its cost."

Please note, that this is not capped at X damage. Last game I was playing against paladin and he draws this card around turn 8. He flips Molten Giant, deals 20 damage, instantly wins.

I don't know if there are still people who believe that there is a tactical component to this game, but if I ever did, I lost faith after this. It's like going all-in in a poker game without looking at your hand only to find a royal flush.

My suggestion: Cap the damage to 6 or 8, that would still make the card worthwhile. In its current state, it can win a lost game, no questions asked, and I feel that in any game this option should not exist.

Your thoughts?
Reply Quote
Working as intended, and if the damage were to have a cap to top it off, it might as well have a minimal amount of damage it does. After all, people used it on me in Arena just to draw wisp and do absolutely nothing.
Reply Quote
The odds of flipping a giant are so damn slim.
Reply Quote
Agreed. But just the fact that they exist make this card a candidate for removal. It's kinda like having a "you win" card, you just don't draw it every game. I am currently not aware of any other card that can instantly do 20 damage.
Reply Quote
if you have mercs or wraiths you can do even more i assume
Reply Quote
I don't even consider it a playable card and you're saying it's op? Hahaha. no pro ever is going to be using this card, it's way too unreliable. Until there's a way of controlling what's on top of your deck, this card sucks.
Edited by Cronstintein on 12/18/2013 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
anybody else laugh when you read "molten giant". That's priceless...

But yeah...the odds of that combo happening are way too slim to be concerned about. Funny tho.
Reply Quote
Have you ever read the flavor text of Holy Wrath? :P
Edited by DeckardCain on 12/19/2013 5:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Cap it at 10 like the mana cost actually is for 99% of the cards.
Reply Quote
With how low the chances of it doing that much dmg is I don't really see an issue with it. If anyone want to build a deck around that mechanic, go ahead and enjoy your 1% win rate.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I just lost to this ridiculousness. I started the turn at 22 health, took 5 damage from the only thing on the board, and then 20 damage from what musta been a molten giant. Pretty ridiculous.
Reply Quote
It's a good mechanic for messing around but is by no means reliable.
If they use it, they've used 50%-100% of their turn to cast it, and if it doesn't pull what they're looking for then you should fly ahead - besides, the chances of it happening are so slim.
If you play it on turn 5 you have about 5% chance of it working, possibly even less as you might have drawn 1 giant already.
It's a fun RNG mechanic and the fact you're getting annoyed by it is ridiculous. It's so rare that it happens it's not even worth complaining about.
Reply Quote
C'mon Molten Giant!
Reply Quote
Holy Wrath should choose a target after u see a drew card.
Reply Quote
I kinda want a !@#$-around deck based on the disgustingly slim chances that someone could pull off a 20-point Holy Wrath. It might only win like, 1/15 games, but man, I bet every time it did, someone would make a rage post on the forums about a completely irrelevant class card and I'd get to laugh my butt off as I pointed at them.
Edited by Bip on 12/30/2013 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Apparently very few people in this thread have actually *READ* the flavor text on Holy Wrath...
Reply Quote
I've played around 40-50 games using Holy Wrath, highest I've ever drew off of it was an 8. For !@#$s and giggles I crafted a giant to see if I could cheese a win off by playing that. Never happened. While it is likely it can, its incredibly rare.
Reply Quote
Are losses in a card game really such an affront to people that they can't even handle a fluke one where their opponent got insanely lucky? It's a card game for crying out loud. Take your loss and shuffle & deal already.
Reply Quote
I agree this card needs to change. Not because its OP though. I did get hit 20 and lost a game to it once. But thats quite rare. As a paladin i find this card, too random to be reliable. Unless paladin meta shifts to direct damage, which i dont see happening anytime soon, this card is useless.
Edited by Ali on 1/4/2014 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
It is random. The only way to make it work is to use goblin that makes your card cost 3 more and/or another card (cant remember name) that makes your cards 2 more. In this case you will deal at least 4 damage (possibly more if you have 5-7 mana cards). But anyway for me it is fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]