Having Trouble Playing Against Mages? Read

MVP - Hearthstone
01/03/2014 03:33 PMPosted by themage78
2) Charge / weapons, which can't be frozen.

This is a falsehood. A mage can use a water elemental to freeze the hero and therefore not be able to use the weapon. I lost a game this when when the mage had 6 health and i was a warrior and had a 3/2 weapon out.

Very true, but Water Elemental is not a common occurrence in mage decks (which is a surprise to me because I personally find it to be an incredible weapon). Beyond that though, the freeze of a Water Elemental is counterable, you can simply kill it or, in some situations, generate enough armor that the Water Elemental itself isn't damaging you.

Either way, your point is accurate that it's possible to freeze the enemy hero to prevent weapon usage, but as this is more of a caveat than a common occurrence, in a summary thread, I didn't want to go into that detailed of an explanation.
Reply Quote
Whenever I play as Shaman against Mage I run into trouble. The problem mostly lies in the way that the two classes are built. Because Mages tend to have such good removal, but also benefit from high damage spells, Shamans can't benefit from the Overload mechanic, in fact, it's a hindrance.

Shaman control the board either by having the totems up or using spells against the opponent's minions, but in the case of Mages, minions aren't all that present and their many spells clear large, small creatures and are also useful against the enemy hero.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for the weakness of Shaman aggro builds or the fact that Overload prevents you from recovering control once you lost it. Which means that once they clear your minions and you're overloaded you can't fight on equal terms and their advantage snowballs.

One way to deal with this would be to stop using cards that have an overload effect, but by doing so you handicap yourself in every other match-up and unfortunately that's suicide considering Shamans aren't strongly favored when facing anyone (with the sole exception of aggro Warlock).

So you end up being unable to use the class specific abilities to their full potential: totems and cards that make you stronger for this turn by sacrificing your future mana reserve (through Overload).

I see three possible solutions that do not involve radical changes:
- buff the Shaman's ability for early aggression. By doing this, the race for damage becomes more balanced and you could trigger Ice Block/finish the Mage one turn earlier. This would require that shaman's AoE be readjusted so that they wouldn't see too much early dominance (which might also save Warlocks who run high aggro decks from Lightning Storm);

- nerf the Mage's ability to deal damage through spells OR redesign certain spells (Ice Block), a topic that already has been heavily discussed;

- expand upon the Shaman's healing capabilities so that they could approach the match-up more like Druids, using their big creatures to their full potential after they have baited some of the removal available to their opponents.

The points raised by the OP are valid and they should be followed by the balance team to marginally skew the balance of the game.
Edited by ProJectDawn on 1/3/2014 8:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 01:09 PMPosted by GreedyJuju
Games shouldn't be balanced around .1% of players.

Actually yes, it should be, otherwise the balance of said game goes to the dumpster. Kinda like what happened in WoW.
Reply Quote
Don't understand the hostility towards Sar.

This is a new game, well relatively new and he is providing tips and information on how to beat mages. Information newbies can adapt to and learn now, instead these people comes into this thread and whine and complain about mages?

How does that help other players? The only other way to beat mages is to whine and cry about it? Pray to Blizzard gods or Big uncle Ben to nerf mages? Laughable and childish behavior.

@Sar: Thanks for the post and keep up the good work
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 09:55 AMPosted by Vermillion

This is a new game, well relatively new and he is providing tips and information on how to beat mages. Information newbies can adapt to and learn now, instead these people comes into this thread and whine and complain about mages?

How does that help other players? The only other way to beat mages is to whine and cry about it? Pray to Blizzard gods or Big uncle Ben to nerf mages? Laughable and childish behavior.

I believe the "hostility" was due to the condescending attitude that was leaking through his posts here & there.

When you have 8 classes that build a deck nearly the same way just to counter one class, that is a problem. Even then people had trouble.

Mage right now is like the hero class while the others are non hero. The class is VERY forgiving, too forgiving actually, and like someone said, they are like a rock with scissors taped to it.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/04/2014 01:10 PMPosted by Delease

I believe the "hostility" was due to the condescending attitude that was leaking through his posts here & there.

When you have 8 classes that build a deck nearly the same way just to counter one class, that is a problem. Even then people had trouble.

Mage right now is like the hero class while the others are non hero. The class is VERY forgiving, too forgiving actually, and like someone said, they are like a rock with scissors taped to it.

Except this is all incorrect. The "I have to design my entire deck around it" is just an excuse. It's no different than the people that used to whine "But wwaaaaaaah! I have to run nothing but 4-attack minions to beat a Priest." That was complete B.S. It's true if you ran nothing but 4 attack minions you'd beat most Priests that you met, but it was far from required to beat Priests. Mages are the same ways; there are a few very basic steps you can take to make a deck that's viable against Mage. Good players ARE doing it, and it does work.

This is no different than any other class in the game. If you complain that weapons are too strong and refuse to run Acidic Swamp Ooze when they're popular in the meta, it's your own fault. If you complain that charge is too strong and refuse to run taunt when it's popular in the meta, it's your own fault. If you complain that Pyroblast is too strong and refuse to run heals when it's popular in the meta, it's your own fault. Mage is nothing special in terms of the whole rock-paper-scissors, it's just something that people refuse to adjust their decks accordingly too. If you assume your deck is perfect and refuse to adjust your deck or playstyle to something you know there's a lot of in the meta, it's your own fault when you lose.

For the record, most of the hostility comes from the fact that, if you read the forums, what people WANT to be told is that they're doing nothing wrong, it's not their fault that they're losing games, and they should just keep doing the same thing. The only thing that results in, surprisingly, is continuing to lose matches. Many people don't want to be told they're doing something wrong. I'm actually the nice guy hear; I could be "hip" and tell you everything is ok while you continue to lose games. Instead, I'm the nice one that takes the heat so that you can understand how to make a competitive deck against something you're losing to.
Reply Quote
Sar, I see where you are coming from, strategy and deck composition should adjust as needed to compete against a powerful class or popular deck. Then again, even though Blizzard has the best of intentions, imbalance does happen, and people will rally to provide feedback about what seems too good.

Unfortunately your favorite class will be a target at times (be it MMO pvp, TCG, etc). It's good to provide a counterpoint to the feedback, but Mage resentment is still pretty strong, a thread like this is nice, but may not address balance issues.
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 06:37 PMPosted by Aza
but may not address balance issues.

There are no balance issues. There is only people who feel that that should win regardless of their skill, their opponent's skill, and the choices they make for their deck. Mage is counterable, and easily defeated with multiple decks. If you choose not to do the things that beat mage, that is no one's problem but yours.

Otherwise there is no point to collection or customization. If you ask Blizzard to nerf everything so that any random pile you put together is 50% verse every pile everyone else could possibly put together, than there is no choice.

What if on paper something is 50% verse everything but your first 5 games verse mages are losses. You're 50% wins might come later, after you gain experience, but you're already here shouting for nerfs. Just because you haven't achieved any wins, doesn't mean you're still not 50% verse a deck in theory. If I let my dog play my paly deck verse a mage, I suppose my dog would lose 100% of the time. That doesn't mean that my pally deck isn't actually 50%+ verse mages in my hands.

Furthermore, what if Sar could play your deck and be 80% verse mages, but you playing the same deck are only 20% verse any mage? Does that mean mages are imbalanced, or that you just suck?
Edited by AshVandal on 1/4/2014 8:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
I appreciate that Sar is trying to show others how to deal with mages, but there are alot of mistakes in this thread.

1: Weapons can, in fact, be frozen.
Both by the water elemental mentioned earlier in this thread, and there's also ice lance and frost bolt, which together make up 7 damage for 3 mana, plus 2 damage for each spellpower minion.
Using freezes on a hero is not 'a caveat', it is a very common occurrence and can disable rogues and warriors (and, to some extent, paladins) immensely.

2: Mages are becoming very active (again) in the higher ranks
Despite some people claiming the opposite, mages are quickly gaining territory in the current meta. They were gone for a while when the murloc decks (and pure aggro in general) were governing the meta, but now that aggro is being sustained by druids and the like, mages are making a very big comeback.
Currently in Rank 3, 42% of my opponents are mages (3 of which I faced were L's). And that's alot considering there are 9 classes.

3: Healing is not a hard counter to damage.
There's alot of discussion about this very fact, and I'm sure there's some good arguments to defend this statement, but at most it's a soft counter.
A hard counter means it cancels out an opposing effect. That's not what healing does. When a DD spell hits you, you don't cancel it, you undo it the next turn. And this is a very important difference, because direct damage can kill a player before there's any chance of healing. The trade-off is that healing is more efficient then damaging, but honestly, by the time you reach 0 health that doesn't matter at all.

Healing decks, on average, do well. I say on average, because it generally comes down to drawing a healing card faster then the opponent draws a damage card. And honestly, that's not the way I'd like to see Hearthstone go down.

4: Midrange aggro is not sustainable against Mages
Although pure aggro is possibly the best deck to play against DD mages (and that already narrows the field more then I'd like), the more common mid-range aggro has a very humble win rate against them, probably around 40% (although just an estimated guess). Again, if you draw the right cards you can get out ahead, but those chances are, statistically, slim. Mages have consistent draw power and usually have the cards they need by turn 8, and can begin their damage output by turn 6. If you don't put on a massive display before or by turn 4, provided the mage didn't draw into an ice block or sufficient freezes, you've usually already lost.

Really, in both healing decks and aggro decks, it always comes down to drawing the right cards. Mages have much larger variety in their draws. Against aggro, between all their freezes, early board clears and their hero power, they have more then enough cards (and, subsequently, need much less RNG) to sustain board control to reach their sweetspot. Against healing, they have a much bigger subset of cards, as well as the proper minions to deal damage before healing cards can undo them.

But EVEN if you manage to balance all that out, and STILL have a somewhat viable deck against other classes - even then, it's a game of who draws what quicker more then any other matchup.

And that's the problem I have with mages.
Edited by Cheezzhead on 1/4/2014 10:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/04/2014 10:05 PMPosted by Cheezzhead
I appreciate that Sar is trying to show others how to deal with mages, but there are alot of mistakes in this thread.

1: Weapons can, in fact, be frozen.
Both by the water elemental mentioned earlier in this thread, and there's also ice lance and frost bolt, which together make up 7 damage for 3 mana, plus 2 damage for each spellpower minion.
Using freezes on a hero is not 'a caveat', it is a very common occurrence and can disable rogues and warriors (and, to some extent, paladins) immensely.

2: Mages are becoming very active (again) in the higher ranks
Despite some people claiming the opposite, mages are quickly gaining territory in the current meta. They were gone for a while when the murloc decks (and pure aggro in general) were governing the meta, but now that aggro is being sustained by druids and the like, mages are making a very big comeback.
Currently in Rank 3, 42% of my opponents are mages (3 of which I faced were L's). And that's alot considering there are 9 classes.

3: Healing is not a hard counter to damage.
There's alot of discussion about this very fact, and I'm sure there's some good arguments to defend this statement, but at most it's a soft counter.
A hard counter means it cancels out an opposing effect. That's not what healing does. When a DD spell hits you, you don't cancel it, you undo it the next turn. And this is a very important difference, because direct damage can kill a player before there's any chance of healing. The trade-off is that healing is more efficient then damaging, but honestly, by the time you reach 0 health that doesn't matter at all.

Healing decks, on average, do well. I say on average, because it generally comes down to drawing a healing card faster then the opponent draws a damage card. And honestly, that's not the way I'd like to see Hearthstone go down.

4: Midrange aggro is not sustainable against Mages
Although pure aggro is possibly the best deck to play against DD mages (and that already narrows the field more then I'd like), the more common mid-range aggro has a very humble win rate against them, probably around 40% (although just an estimated guess). Again, if you draw the right cards you can get out ahead, but those chances are, statistically, slim. Mages have consistent draw power and usually have the cards they need by turn 8, and can begin their damage output by turn 6. If you don't put on a massive display before or by turn 4, provided the mage didn't draw into an ice block or sufficient freezes, you've usually already lost.

Really, in both healing decks and aggro decks, it always comes down to drawing the right cards. Mages have much larger variety in their draws. Against aggro, between all their freezes, early board clears and their hero power, they have more then enough cards (and, subsequently, need much less RNG) to sustain board control to reach their sweetspot. Against healing, they have a much bigger subset of cards, as well as the proper minions to deal damage before healing cards can undo them.

But EVEN if you manage to balance all that out, and STILL have a somewhat viable deck against other classes - even then, it's a game of who draws what quicker more then any other matchup.

And that's the problem I have with mages.

Picking out a few here due to brevity.

1) It's true that the hero can be frozen. I'm focusing somewhat more on the types of mages that more or less don't play minions and try to stall you out into direct damage. I'm not trying to ignore mechanics with this, it's just that EVERY deck is going to be different to counter. MOST players, I think, understand how to counter minions on the board, I think they're more confused about how to counter mages that avoid the board. In those types of mages, they won't be playing Water Elementals; I'm a big fan of the card, but it doesn't seem to see much play, and it certainly doesn't make the cut in decks that run only a handful of minions. Frostbolt can freeze the hero, but it often gets used for controlling the board in the early game; even when used on the hero, it's only a single turn of being frozen.

3) Healing is a hard counter to direct damage. The only exception would be if the enemy could bring you from nearly full health to dead in a single turn. If you're at high health, you can take the damage then heal it up. If your health is low, you can heal before you take the damage to prevent it from killing you (you know that mages have a 10-damage spell; if you're at 8 health, for example, you KNOW that you're in range of being killed by their direct damage, and should be using your heals). As I said, the exception would be if they could burn you from, for example, 27 to 0 health in a single turn. A player shouldn't be expected to need to heal at 27 health to stay alive for the turn. Mages cannot deal nearly this much damage in a single turn however, so the point is moot.
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 10:05 PMPosted by Cheezzhead

This is not a problem with mages, this is a problem with the game, which is just a little more obvious with any heavy aggro strategy like mage burn or warlock aggro.

It's a problem because everyone is pushing the game to be a creature-fight game, rather than a well rounded CCG with a variety of ACTUAL strategies, not a single strategy comprising of minion-based aggro with a few class based flavors.

Ask Blizzard for that IMO. Now that Sar is out of the closet in saying he wants the game to be all about minion combat, ASK for that, instead of trying to nerf one thing at a time. Delete all the spells and weapons. Minions only. Sounds fun. Plus you'll get rid of that AshVandal guy to boot. Sounds like a win/win for all you all.
Edited by AshVandal on 1/5/2014 6:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

This is not a problem with mages, this is a problem with the game, which is just a little more obvious with any heavy aggro strategy like mage burn or warlock aggro.

It's a problem because everyone is pushing the game to be a creature-fight game, rather than a well rounded CCG with a variety of ACTUAL strategies, not a single strategy comprising of minion-based aggro with a few class based flavors.

Ask Blizzard for that IMO. Now that Sar is out of the closet in saying he wants the game to be all about minion combat, ASK for that, instead of trying to nerf one thing at a time. Delete all the spells and weapons. Minions only. Sounds fun. Plus you'll get rid of that AshVandal guy to boot. Sounds like a win/win for all you all.

I think you mis-understood my minion post. The devs want minions to MATTER in the game. That's not saying they want minions to be the only thing that matters. But they also don't want decks to run entirely spells and flat out ignore the board too. It's not a matter of balance, it's just that it's viewed as non-interactive, with each player playing a 1-player game and racing to win their 1-player game before the other player does. This is based on stages of MTG where spells became so powerful and minions so irrelevant that players simply ran decks that flung spells all game.

In many cases though, that's not a bash on spell-centric decks. It's more that if you're going to run a spell-centric deck, they'd rather set up the game such that there are minions that support the spells effectively in the deck; that is, you're stronger using minions to boost your spells (Gadget Auctioneer, for example) than it is to fling more spells. That way, the board matters in that, if you can keep a minion on the board, you'll gain a noticeable advantage. Such decks still rely on spells for most of their game, but nor can they purely ignore the board either.

Rogues used to fit into this category a lot, since they scaled so well with spell power minions and Gadget Auctioneer, and it was a good example of a spell-centric deck that still had to care about the board; they could deliver quite a bit of damage without minions, but they were remarkably more effective if they could get a couple minions on the board. The nerfs to Dalaran Mage, Shiv, and Headcrack have since messed up that deck.
Edited by Sar on 1/5/2014 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 10:35 PMPosted by Sar
3) Healing is a hard counter to direct damage. The only exception would be if the enemy could bring you from nearly full health to dead in a single turn. If you're at high health, you can take the damage then heal it up. If your health is low, you can heal before you take the damage to prevent it from killing you (you know that mages have a 10-damage spell; if you're at 8 health, for example, you KNOW that you're in range of being killed by their direct damage, and should be using your heals). As I said, the exception would be if they could burn you from, for example, 27 to 0 health in a single turn. A player shouldn't be expected to need to heal at 27 health to stay alive for the turn. Mages cannot deal nearly this much damage in a single turn however, so the point is moot.

I'm sorry to say, but then you really don't understand the concept of hard counters in this game, or in TCG's in general.

Counters cancel effects in that they stop them from resolving. This is not what happens with healing. An example of a hard counter to spell damage is Ice block (and ice barrier to a certain extent); it stops the damage done to your hero in its entirety.

I know this topic is about mages, but this healing-counter debate can (and should) be extended beyond just one class. A rogue, for example, can do upwards to 20 damage around turn 8. Consider a scenario where a Rogue summons Leeroy and 2 evsicerates. That's 14 damage, plus any weapon he may have and any minions already on the board.

Fortunately, there exists a (hard) counter to Leeroy, and any other minion, in the form of taunts. This makes a rogue's extreme burst damage manageable, because you still have some influence over its success, and a rogue is not sustainable through spell damage only.
The difference with the DD mage becomes apparent, because for all its burst damage, the rogue can be managed, while the mage - originally not meant as a burst damage class by blizzard - cannot.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

I'm sorry to say, but then you really don't understand the concept of hard counters in this game, or in TCG's in general.

Counters cancel effects in that they stop them from resolving. This is not what happens with healing. An example of a hard counter to spell damage is Ice block (and ice barrier to a certain extent); it stops the damage done to your hero in its entirety.

The problem is that YOU don't understand what a hard-counter is in this game. You only get to take actions on your own turn, and that's the frame you have to work in. So if you can identify two cards that have an identical effect from the end of one of your turns to a point during your next turn, then the result is identical.

As I said before, if you Counterspell a Fireball, you would probably consider that a hard counter. If you take 6 damage from a Fireball, then heal yourself for 6, the result is completely identical to if you have Counterspelled the Fireball. Therefore, if one is a hard-counter to Fireball, then the other is a hard-counter to Fireball.

The problem with discussing hard counters in this game is that people have been too used to MTG, and as such, they view the only method of "countering" an ability is to prevent its resolution. This leads to a great misunderstanding as to how Hearthstone is played.
Edited by Sar on 1/5/2014 8:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ive read your guide however Im still having HUGE problems playing vs mages. Board control is extremely difficult. In early game they just use cheap cards like arcane missile, mirror image frost bolt and arcane explosion to kill my low lvl minions. Or simply block them all with frost nova. Spells buffed by minions like kobold and dalaran mage really hurt and theres not much I can do with my 1 / 2 / 3 mana minions. Late game is even worse. Intelect gives a mage 2 extra cards which means if I wait longer ill get killed by frost lance and fireball or pyroblast. Minions with charge ability are helpful the problem is, they have low hp so usually they hit only once then get killed. Anti - mage deck is not really a solution as u never know whats the class of your oponent till u enter the game....
If i play against any other class theres something i can counter at least. Countering mage spells is not really possible as they are quite cheap and efficient. Is there any reliable strategy that really works ?
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/05/2014 10:12 AMPosted by Ramiel
Ive read your guide however Im still having HUGE problems playing vs mages. Board control is extremely difficult. In early game they just use cheap cards like arcane missile, mirror image frost bolt and arcane explosion to kill my low lvl minions. Or simply block them all with frost nova. Spells buffed by minions like kobold and dalaran mage really hurt and theres not much I can do with my 1 / 2 / 3 mana minions. Late game is even worse. Intelect gives a mage 2 extra cards which means if I wait longer ill get killed by frost lance and fireball or pyroblast. Minions with charge ability are helpful the problem is, they have low hp so usually they hit only once then get killed. Anti - mage deck is not really a solution as u never know whats the class of your oponent till u enter the game....
If i play against any other class theres something i can counter at least. Countering mage spells is not really possible as they are quite cheap and efficient. Is there any reliable strategy that really works ?

The mechanics listed here are more about countering freezing you into the late game then Pyroblasting you to death; the reason I focus on those is that they're the types of mechanics people don't tend to understand how to fight off. Players seem to have a better grasp of fighting off things like minions on the board.

To answer your question though, it's going to be more specific to the type of mage deck you're talking about; keep in mind like with any class, there are dozens of different slight variations you can make to the deck that drastically changes how it plays. Countering things like minion drops aren't really any different than other classes; use removal, aoe, weapons, your own minions, etc. to gain control of the board. The hardest opening to counter is Mana Wyrm + Coin + Mirror Image. This is not an easy opening to counter; there are 5 classes with direct damage spells that can pick off the Wyrm, which trivializes the opening, and you can silence it as well. But beyond that, if you don't have the right cards in your hand to counter this opening, it's going to be rough; you just have to try and fight for board control against an opening unfavorable position, much like fighting off a Defias Ringleader drop puts you immediately against an unfavorable position.

The thing to remember though is that even if you were to mulligan purely for this combo, the combo only matters if the mage is player 2, and the odds of drawing both cards in your opening hand are actually pretty low. So it will sometimes happen, but it's not the norm. That being said, that's really no different than a lot of classes; there are a lot of classes that with the right opening hand can be nearly unbeatable.

Still, I'd like to give more advice on that, but like I said, it's more a deck-by-deck specific thing, but you're getting more into the generic "minion vs. minion try to gain board control" type of scenario that you see in a lot of matchups.

The one thing I'll add is that mage aoe is VERY expensive. Once they start getting access to their aoe's, it's very dangerous, but their first 2-damage aoe doesn't occur until turn 6; this is as opposed to many classes which get theirs by turn 4. So you can really over-whelm a mage by flooding the board more effective than against most classes.

By the way, Faery Dragon is a great early-game card to use against mages if you're not using it already; much of their early game control relies on direct damage. Frostbolt can't hit it, they can't pick it off with their hero power, and if you put the Faery Dragon in the middle of your minions, it messes with Cone of Cold's ability to freeze everything (not that CoC is seeing common usage anymore).
Edited by Sar on 1/5/2014 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for your reply, but i disagree with what You've said about aoe. If u use coin in turn 1 to get kobold u can use 2 dmg aoe in turn 2 .... Not to mention arcane missile which is not aoe spell but can kill units with low hp. Arcane missile cost is 1 and arcane explosion 2. These + kobold or frostbolt are more than enough to stop early push. Its based pon luck as u need kobold but still , i have a feeling that mage spells are a bit too strong...
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/05/2014 10:45 AMPosted by Ramiel
Thanks for your reply, but i disagree with what You've said about aoe. If u use coin in turn 1 to get kobold u can use 2 dmg aoe in turn 2 .... Not to mention arcane missile which is not aoe spell but can kill units with low hp. Arcane missile cost is 1 and arcane explosion 2. These + kobold or frostbolt are more than enough to stop early push. Its based pon luck as u need kobold but still , i have a feeling that mage spells are a bit too strong...

That sounds good in theory but rarely works that way in practice.
Reply Quote
Then i consider myself as one of the most unlucky heartstone players ever as every time i play vs mage they are able to get kobold or dalaran mage early and counter me hard...anyway, thank You for your reply
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]