Legendary-Ranked Druid: Malygos & Moonfire

http://www.twitch.tv/paulwog

I hit rank #88 legendary with this deck in the first season. I've kept up with the deck, and revisiting it in the third season it's proving to be quite effective yet again. I will continue to update this deck and make it work based on updated card balance changes, and shifts in the metagame.

If you're interested in following me and getting a fresh perspective on each class, you can follow me. I go by PaulWog on when I stream. I always put a new spin on popular decks, or build my own unique decks. You will almost never see me playing an identical list to someone else (unless if I'm being copied); although often what I will run is a modification of a popular list (ex. my warrior control deck). What I like to do is take things to a new level. I substitute certain card choices with other cards, and really shake things up. I like to do things my way, and I like to choose cards (and make plays in-game) that leave other top-tier players scratching their heads.

CURRENT MOST UP-TO-DATE LIST (01/27/2014):
2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Naturalize
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Nat Pagle
2x Healing Touch
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Starfall
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Malygos
1x Ysera

(SEASON 1 Rank #88 LEGENDARY):
2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Naturalize
2x Healing Touch
1x Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
1x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Alexstrasza
1x Malygos
1x Ysera
(considerations on current iteration of the deck: May reduce Keeper of the Grove to 1x in favour of a faerie dragon to have an additional 1-2 drop card to increase starting hand statistics against rush decks -- May reduce the Druid of the Claw to 0x in favour of a sooner drop as well, but might not... depends on if warlock with silence becomes more common)

Original Deck (before I hit legendary in rank 1):
2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wild Growth
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Faerie Dragon
1x Nat Pagle
1x Dalaran Mage
1x Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
1x Azure Drake
1x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzian Auctioneer
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Malygos
1x Ysera
Edited by Paul on 2/24/2014 5:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for sharing your deck. I'm going to try it. FYI you accidentally put 2x Bloodmage Thalnos.
Reply Quote

Deck has taken me to rank 3, with six stars now... lost a total of 3 games from rank 6 to rank 3 with this deck, won every other game -- pretty solid record.

I've taken out the faerie dragon, added an Earthen Ring Farseer. I'm considering Alexstrasza for the deck since I need harder win cons for paladin, and I'm considering removing Sylvanas since she doesn't fit the tempo super well. I'm also considering replacement options for Dalaran Mage - however he's one of those love-hate cards... there's nothing at the 3-drop mark that does what he does and still survives like he does.
Reply Quote
Oh... a third of your deck has to be legendary.
Reply Quote
12/21/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Xeneox
Oh... a third of your deck has to be legendary.

Yeah... unfortunately :( Sylvanas might get removed from the deck for additional spell power (possibly a geomancer).

The flow of the deck has been slowed a little by my recent changes, but these changes have significantly increased my chances against stall mages, stall priests, and stall paladins (all of which were almost impossible without this change):
+ added Alexstrasza (used defensively or offensively depending on the situation)
+ added Earthen Ring Farseer (combos with Ysera if you draw dream which does happen, also used to stall, or to simply add 3 life)
+ added Healing Touch (8 life goes a long way)
- removed Dalaran Mage (I want him back in the deck & might remove sylvanas for him)
- removed Nat Pagle (he might go back into the deck, he's a solid coin first turn play -- but he's a terrible late game draw that hinders me against paladins)
- removed Faerie Dragon (I want one of these back in the deck, but the only card that I could remove for it is Earthen Ring or Healing Touch ... really meta-game dependant, but it can't come back into the deck so far)

Anyway, one change that may happen sooner than later is removing Sylvanas. It's a great card, but once the deck gets to the 5+ mana mark, it works to clear boards rather than trade creatures. However, Sylvanas is a powerhouse alone ... deals with the paladin class legendary, as well as some other sticky situations.

Total legendary count is 7.

Oh, and Tinkmaster is removable. I'm considering taking him out for Savagery instead (instant kill, opponent draws 2 cards). That actually might be a better card for the deck.
Edited by Paul on 12/22/2013 1:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
For those who have watched my deck (I've played against lots of the top 100 players & recently was up against reynad27 -- I won, but it was a great game), I'm considering starting into a bit of streaming.

I'll check out what I can do. It seems the deck has entertained a number of people and I'd love to share a fresh perspective on Hearthstone that you might not get elsewhere.

My channel: http://www.twitch.tv/paulwog

I will be streaming rank 2 with this deck tomorrow for a bit.
Edited by Paul on 12/22/2013 6:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
I play my druid deck with only one legendary and still have a decent win rate.
Edited by Lissanna on 12/22/2013 6:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/22/2013 06:57 AMPosted by Lissanna
I play my druid deck with only one legendary and still have a decent win rate.

That's such an... irrelevant comment.
Reply Quote
Deck has been edited again. The current decklist is as follows:

2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wild Growth
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Doomsayer
1x Healing Touch
1x Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
1x Azure Drake
1x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzian Auctioneer
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Alexstrasza
1x Malygos
1x Ysera
Reply Quote
Confirmed, deck has taken me to rank 1 :) But it's pretty tough moving forward.
Reply Quote
Grats on making it to rank 1 but darn it, thats a sh!tload of legendaries.

I guess not too many guys will be running this, way too expensive.
Reply Quote
12/22/2013 05:44 PMPosted by Miniboss
Grats on making it to rank 1 but darn it, thats a sh!tload of legendaries.

I guess not too many guys will be running this, way too expensive.

Yeah, that's the one down-side :( I do like going forward with an original deck though.
Reply Quote
Just went legendary with the deck, rank 46 currently :)

Deck is now:

2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Wild Pyromancer
1x Healing Touch
1x Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzian Auctioneer
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Alexstrasza
1x Malygos
1x Ysera
Edited by Paul on 12/23/2013 5:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
You dont have that many strong 7+ drops so having 2x Gadgetzian Auctioneer is kind a bs to me i rather have 2xAncient of Lore +1 nourish ( i think 2 is a must when u play 2x innnervate +wild growth but thats just me:) ...since your are rushing late game here with your deck .
You have 5 strong late game drops + bs like 2x Moonfire ;D ..heck i ll just replace it with 2x starfire since your are rushing late game here bro ! ;D
Last thing ...i am not sure having 2x bite is a good idea in any deck
p.s. u cant play with 2x claw + 2x bite and just like that ignore Savagery !
p.s.s gratz on legendary rank ..i guess its time to consider getting naturalize now ;D
Edited by Prototype on 12/23/2013 2:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:19 AMPosted by Prototype
You dont have that many strong 7+ drops so having 2x Gadgetzian Auctioneer is kind a bs to me i rather have 2xAncient of Lore +1 nourish ( i think 2 is a must when u play 2x innnervate +wild growth but thats just me:) ...since your are rushing late game here with your deck .
You have 5 strong late game drops + bs like 2x Moonfire ;D ..heck i ll just replace it with 2x starfire since your are rushing late game here bro ! ;D
Last thing ...i am not sure having 2x bite is a good idea in any deck
p.s. u cant play with 2x claw + 2x bite and just like that ignore Savagery !
p.s.s gratz on legendary rank ..i guess its time to consider getting naturalize now ;D

I've contemplated naturalize. It just doesn't fit. My worst matchups where I need naturalize, the +2 draw doesn't fit the deck's tempo & I end up losing.

Starfire isn't worth it in the deck. Nourish isn't worth it in the deck. The cards which you've criticized have taken me to legendary & are helping me rank up at legendary :)
Reply Quote
Starfire is not worth in any deck imho ;D
now u got Alextraza very cool ..i d/e a golden one to craft black knight ;D just saying

Ok back to the question ..i guess u posted all this so we can add some feedback right ?
I think a savagery (affected by spell dmg right ?) ll fit great in your heavy spell dmg deck (cost 1 mana only so its very close to what u do with moonfire here:)
1x Keeper of the Grove are u sure this is good idea mate ?I find this card to be as usefull as swipe at turn 4 most of the time. Also having those 2x silence i think is a must atm .`
Cuz i am not here to troll you mate i was thinking about moonfire ....its actually very good idea cuz of all the rush decks ...but still i think u need to combo it with some spell dmg (thalnos) to make it worth ;D

p.s. i also use 1x Doomsayer !! ROFL
Edited by Prototype on 12/23/2013 2:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Prototype
Starfire is not worth in any deck imho ;D
now u got Alextraza very cool ..i d/e a golden one to craft black knight ;D just saying

Ok back to the question ..i guess u posted all this so we can add some feedback right ?
I think a savagery (affected by spell dmg right ?) ll fit great in your heavy spell dmg deck (cost 1 mana only so its very close to what u do with moonfire here:)
1x Keeper of the Grove are u sure this is good idea mate ?I find this card to be as usefull as swipe at turn 4 most of the time. Also having those 2x silence i think is a must atm .`
Cuz i am not here to troll you mate i was thinking about moonfire ....its actually very good idea cuz of all the rush decks ...but still i think u need to combo it with some spell dmg (thalnos) to make it worth ;D

I actually just removed my azure drake for a second keeper of the grove. Great minds think alike I suppose :)

The moonfires combo with Malygos & Gadgetzan only. They also reach 2 damage with Thalnos, but that's not as relevant.

I was running a single savagery earlier today, and I've considered re-adding it, but it's one of those cards that is a little bit awkward.
Edited by Paul on 12/23/2013 2:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think if you Add Pyromancer to the deck it ll be much stronger turn 2-5 ! You ll have like super strong board clear on top of your already strong early game (instead of bite/1x Alexstrasza or 1 Azure drake:)
Helps a lot vs blood imps/ divine shield too.
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Prototype
I think if you Add Pyromancer to the deck it ll be much stronger turn 2-5 ! You ll have like super strong board clear on top of your already strong early game (instead of bite/1x Alexstrasza or 1 Azure drake:)
Helps a lot vs blood imps/ divine shield too.

I'll give a single pyromancer a try :) Thanks for the input.

I'm going to take the faerie dragon out for a wild pyromancer. That will give it a lot more purpose for early, mid, and late game -- as opposed to the faerie dragon which mostly operates in the early & mid game.
Reply Quote
Here's the updated list. I'm going to annotate exactly why I use each card more clearly.

2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Wild Pyromancer
1x Healing Touch
1x Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Alexstrasza
1x Malygos
1x Ysera

Innervate
This is fairly obvious. It combos with Gadgetzan & provides quick early plays. On the seventh turn, I've often played something like Gadgetzan Auctioneer + Innervate + swipe or bite. This equals two card draws, plus good removal, and a 4/4 body enters the field. In the worst-case scenario, this card is sometimes played in order to activate the hero power after dropping a 9-drop on the field (if the game is playing out a long time & Innervate is drawn late).

Moonfire
The way this card is played is not obvious, and it's not straight-forward. Moonfire synergizes primarily with Malygos and Gadgetzan Auctioneer, however on very rare occasions Bloodmage Thalnos is relevant as well (usually not on the same turn moonfire is played though, so usually it's just Malygos or Gadgetzan). However, Moonfire isn't necessarily a combo-only card; if I'm being rushed down, or need to output an extra 1 damage, I gauge the scenario and decide intelligently whether it's worth playing. This takes a fair bit of experience and thought. The moonfires are a core piece to this deck, and are necessary for this deck to function.

Claw
Claw is one of the best 1-cost spells in the game. The primary use for claw is for early-game removal. The secondary use is for mid-game draws with Gadgetzan. The tertiary use is simply to output damage and/or gain armor (possibly defensive) at later parts of the game. The card is relevant at all points during a match. I often play claw in anticipation of a high damage-output turn from a warlock; the play sometimes appears as though I've wasted the card, however the two armor gained makes the difference between a win & a loss quite often.

Wrath
Wrath essentially serves the same purpose as claw, but offers some utility. If I'm in late game, I opt to use claw & wrath (if possible) before I use swipe. Any spell damage which I can direct to either creatures or a player is valued higher at late game.

Bloodmage Thalnos
This card is in the deck because it works well alongside wrath (allowing for 2 damage & draw a card, or 4 damage -- both very relevant), and also works amazingly well with swipe and starfall. In a worst-case scenario (or if you're simply finishing the opponent off), dropping Bloodmage Thalnos with no follow-up spells is occasionally the correct play.

Wild Pyromancer
A new addition, and it makes sense. As discussed above, Wild Pyromancer is very effective against early aggression. I think this will make for an extremely relevant addition to the deck, and will make moonfire even more of an interesting card.

Healing Touch
One is absolutely paramount to the deck's success. Without healing touch, this deck's mid game is statistically worse against aggro decks, and the deck's late game is significantly worse against control & mage decks.

Tinkmaster Overspark
100% necessary. Deals with Sylvanas, Ragnaros, Ysera, and so on. Besides the obvious plays, I'll provide an example: My opponent has a 2/2 and a 5/10 in play. I have very low life. I have Sylvanas, Ancient of War, Starfall, and Tinkmaster Overspark in hand. I have 10 mana. My opponent has 1 card in hand. I play Tinkmaster Overspark first, and his 5/10 becomes a 1/1. I then activate my hero ability, kill his 1/1, and play my Sylvanas. If the 5/10 became a 5/5, I would have played starfall on the 5/5, and activated my hero ability instead. Tinkmaster Overspark allows for interesting play options, and enhances the effectiveness of the way a hand can be played out. Furthermore, Tinkmaster Overspark can act as an early-game flip card: If my opponent has a creature that I value similarly to a 5/5, and the aggression is heavy, Tinkmaster Overspark is occasionally the correct play.

Keeper of the Grove
I originally considered this to be a dead card in the deck due to the way the deck plays. I ran this as an automatic 2-of in any other regular druid deck I have, however it was an oversight for me to not play this card in the deck. Keeper of the Grove offers early & mid game defence/removal, and late game neutralization of threats. A necessary card in the deck.

Bite
Completely necessary, and one of the core cards in the deck. This is a dual-purpose card. Usually bite is used as removal. Bite is often used as direct-damage, but not quite as much as removal. Finally, Bite serves as a 4-armor generating card without being focussed like healing touch is. Without Bite, this deck would absolutely fail.

Swipe
I don't think much has to be said. It's an excellent card. Like every other card, swipe is used as removal more than it is used for direct damage. Swipe is a card which much be played very carefully (just like starfall). I take into consideration the life totals & divine shield states of everything in play. If I can't remove everything I want from the board, I take into consideration what I can follow up with on the next turn, and how to play swipe as best as possible in order to do that. Sometimes swiping the player's life & following up with a larger hit to my own life (using the hero ability to finish off a minion that had 2 life, for example) is the better play in order to put greater aggression on the opponent's life. It all depends.

Starfall
Always prioritize using starfall over swipe if at all possible. Swipe can be used as direct damage to the opponent. Starfall can be used to sacrifice Sylvanas... this play isn't all too uncommon (maybe one in 20 games or even more frequent).

Druid of the Claw
It's a big defensive creature. Don't be afraid to use charge: At higher more competitive levels of play, silence & creature pumping is a thing. If you can charge down a 2 or 3 attack creature, your druid of the claw will still be alive & will have to be dealt with. If you set up a 4/6 static creature on the board, your opponent can choose how he deals with it. Either play could be correct, but I make Druid of the Claw into a 4/4 more often than anyone else I know.

Gadgetzan Auctioneer
I feel like this card is at the heart of the deck. When he enters the field, things happen. He doesn't always have to do something significant, but more often than not (more than 50% of the time most certainly) I draw at least 4 cards off of a single Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I will often gauge situations as well: if I have a moonfire in hand & my hand is dry, I sometimes use the moonfire (even if there isn't a desirable target) in order to shift through my deck (since you cannot rely on Auctioneer lasting to the next turn, though he usually does last more than a turn if you're playing a good game). If I could, I'd only run one in the deck if I were guaranteed to draw Auctioneer within the first 4 draws... the reason I run 2 isn't to be able to play 2, but to draw into Auctioneer in most of the games I play. With that said, playing 2 in a given game isn't a bad thing: he's still a 4/4, and I find they get removed so a follow-up Auctioneer is by no means bad.

Sylvanas Windrunner
I've tried removing Sylvanas for cards such as Naturalize. Sylvanas is too good to remove. She offers similar levels of advantage as Ysera, Ragnaros, and Malygos if played correctly. She is also a utility card, since she can simply be laid out to generate pressure but not offer as much recurring advantage as the aforementioned legendaries.

Ancient of War
Always play this as a 5/10, never as a 10/5 ever. It's a big wall. Sometimes it's not the correct play when you need to play defensively... often times it is though. It's great as a 1-of in this deck, rarely do I want 2 in the deck though.

Ragnaros the Firelord
This card can be clunky occasionally, but overall he fits into the deck very well. He's recurring damage, removal, and often defensive. I usually expect him to be removed, and I don't expect him to be a sole win con in any given game. The reason why I have Ragnaros, Ysera, Malygos, and Alexstrasza in the deck is to provide enough win con material to take on any deck. Paladin control decks, druid defensive decks, priest decks, etc... there are many decks which dry out all of your win cons & deal with you. I've tweaked this deck to be able to deal with every type of deck there is. I haven't added this many large creatures simply for fun... although it is fun :)

Alexstrasza
Both offensive and defensive. I very rarely drop Alexstrasza on the board with nothing else there simply to set my opponent's life to 15. This card really adds play to the deck, and is essential against some very prominent high-tier decks. Alexstrasza has won me games more than enough times (usually as a defensive card).

Malygos
Usually Malygos drops down & gets silenced, transformed, or killed. I often only get one 6-damage moonfire off. However, as a silenced 4/12 body, Malygos is effective. If he lasts more than a turn & I have spell damage in hand, it's game over 9 times out of 10. Malygos is essential to this deck & removing him would cripple the deck's competitive edge in many matchups.

Ysera
You start drawing from a whole new deck with Ysera on the field. This card provides value. Sometimes it's difficult deciding when to place Ysera on the board, but that's about it... Ysera is necessary in this deck. As I mentioned under my Ragnaros explanation, Ysera provides additional win con material beyond the basic face-value damage of spells & minor creatures.

Hero Ability
Don't be afraid to use the hero ability to attack a 3/2 in order to get a better swipe off the next turn. These sorts of plays are really dependent on a lot of variables. If you use your hero ability on a 3/2, and your opponent Defender of Arguses on it, you're in for some hurting (as an example). The druid's hero power is important & how you decide to allocate (or not allocate) the damage and take advantage of the armor gained (or mitigate the damage you take as a result of attacking) contributes to game wins or losses.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]