Legendary-Ranked Druid: Malygos & Moonfire

Since you got like 15 spells what do u think about adding some minions that benefit from casting aside from Gadgetzan Auctioneer.
What i am thinking about here is one Violet Teacher(no mana addcit its really cool in this deck but it wont surv.) + Savage Roar for WTF surprise tactic ;D. Also you have no 4 drops minions so its might be a good idea!Many players tend to ignore 1/1 on the board late game but those can be lethal with savage roar !
More early game combos(thats why i dont suggest force of nature+ savage roar cuz this is very late game combo:) you got the better it is .... then just counting on big !@# 8/9 mana drops being in your hand in the right moment .
If the enemy drys your hand cuz of hyper early game agression do u think that 2 taunts that you have ll be enough ?

p.s. Minions that u might consider imho :doomsayer, black knight , blood knight - you play control and those while being situational can offer great advantage if played in the right moment ;). From own exp. i know that having too many spells can be bad sometimes ;D
Edited by Prototype on 12/23/2013 8:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Paul thanks for sharing I will try it out. Only problem is I am missing Tink Master & Malygos...with your best evaluation what would you switch for it?

Im probably going to put in a Black Knight for Tink Master but not sure what to switch in for Malygos.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 10:36 AMPosted by CaptainCarl
Paul thanks for sharing I will try it out. Only problem is I am missing Tink Master & Malygos...with your best evaluation what would you switch for it?

Im probably going to put in a Black Knight for Tink Master but not sure what to switch in for Malygos.

Cheers,
CC-

For tinkmaster, naturalize is probably the best alternative. Black Knight replaces it sometimes but not in enough situation.

For Malygos, I'd probably put in another 5/10 taunt, or onyxia. Black Knight might fit into Malygos 's slot. Really Malygos should be in the deck though, but you might find success without it.
Reply Quote
Always nice to see people who play and have success with decks that are not usual.

Recently on Reddit guy posted this deck http://puu.sh/5Ursn.jpg that brought him to Legend rankings.

I just don't understand how you guys have such success at this moment on ladder, especially with rise of aggro Ice Block/Pyros Mages, brutally aggressive Warlocks, these new carefully made Warrior OTK decks etc etc etc.

I wish I had Ysera and Malygos to try out your deck myself but I just don't get it how you survive against many "meta" decks nowadays, and not only survive - you got Legend ranking this kinda of decks.
Edited by DenDron on 12/23/2013 12:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 12:40 PMPosted by DenDron
Always nice to see people who play and have success with decks that are not usual.

Recently on Reddit guy posted this deck http://puu.sh/5Ursn.jpg that brought him to Legend rankings.

I just don't understand how you guys have such success at this moment on ladder, especially with rise of aggro Ice Block/Pyros Mages, brutally aggressive Warlocks, these new carefully made Warrior OTK decks etc etc etc.

I wish I had Ysera and Malygos to try out your deck myself but I just don't get it how you survive against many "meta" decks nowadays, and not only survive - you got Legend ranking this kinda of decks.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having success with this sort of archetype. There's a lot that goes into shifting the deck around. Now that I'm in legendary, I may need to switch the druid of the claws out (due to a silence-heavy warlock deck that's popular now) in favour of two additional 2-drop creatures.

This is exactly why I like documenting my deck too. I want to get credit for doing what I'm doing (I acknowledge that with such a limited card base that *no deck* is truly original), but I've already gotten a couple "you ripped it off reddit" accusations. Great reason to just share the deck & have my thought process out here (not that I care for people who are like that anyway).
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 03:11 PMPosted by Paul

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having success with this sort of archetype. There's a lot that goes into shifting the deck around. Now that I'm in legendary, I may need to switch the druid of the claws out (due to a silence-heavy warlock deck that's popular now) in favour of two additional 2-drop creatures.

This is exactly why I like documenting my deck too. I want to get credit for doing what I'm doing (I acknowledge that with such a limited card base that *no deck* is truly original), but I've already gotten a couple "you ripped it off reddit" accusations. Great reason to just share the deck & have my thought process out here (not that I care for people who are like that anyway).

Thanks for answering but you didn't really answer my question but oh well.

I can see this Druid deck you made having at least 50%+ against most of the decks except for the Mages, especially against swarm of brutally aggressive Ice Block/Pyro/Frostbolt+2xIcelance Mages. If Mage draws single IB/Pyro you should be losing that game 9/10 times.

Do you know if/when you will stream again? I really would like to see this deck in action because as I said I can't make one myself (miss 2 really important legendary cards).

Thanks!
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 03:54 PMPosted by DenDron
Thanks for answering but you didn't really answer my question but oh well.

I can see this Druid deck you made having at least 50%+ against most of the decks except for the Mages, especially against swarm of brutally aggressive Ice Block/Pyro/Frostbolt+2xIcelance Mages. If Mage draws single IB/Pyro you should be losing that game 9/10 times.

Do you know if/when you will stream again? I really would like to see this deck in action because as I said I can't make one myself (miss 2 really important legendary cards).

Thanks!

I might stream tonight. I've never streamed before, but I've gotten everything set up to stream correctly (I just have to get a bug sorted out where my stream looks like I don't have enough bandwidth to stream even though I do have the bandwidth).

Those sorts of mages aren't too difficult. It's a bit of a race and there's a converging turn in the game that decides who wins usually. I don't race those ice mages down, I play a slow and methodical game & I work on building up as much armor as I can. It works out quite well for me. Alexstrasza increases my win rates versus that type of deck by a long shot.
Reply Quote
Verry nice write up,love the deck and explanation behind it.
Been thinking to try out malygos and alextrasa with druid before but i never realy dared to,this gives me hope though.
Never considered gadgetzan auctioneer for druid but think its a great idea,might work better then ancient of lore.
Will try out this deck with a few small adjustments for sure.
Thx again for write up.
Reply Quote
Thanks alot for sharing a deck Paul. I have hots for druids ever since my first constructed deck - murlocs with Force of Nature/Savage Roar finishing combo. I have my own version of druid tempo but the one you're running looks far more solid, should give it a go tonight.
Just one thing: Sylvanas doesn't look a tempo card for me, is she really helpful without a need to starfall her down?
Reply Quote
Could Malygos work with Faceless Manipulator x2 and x2 Moonfire to do 30 dmg to the face?
Reply Quote
12/24/2013 01:24 PMPosted by BeeHive
Could Malygos work with Faceless Manipulator x2 and x2 Moonfire to do 30 dmg to the face?

I see no reason why it shouldn't work if you manage to get such a combo to do 32 dmg.
If it's not working then it's a bug. ^^
Reply Quote
12/24/2013 01:24 PMPosted by BeeHive

Technically, yes. Faceless Manipulator isn't a bad card in the deck either, but at the legendary level he's not useful in enough matchups to be worth considering.

I've actually updated the list again to have 2 healing touches, due to the increase of warlock rush, rogue rush, and other rush decks in the metagame. There's a lot more silence being integrated into warlock decks as well, rendering defender tactics relatively mute. Instead, I'm going more for direct kills against the rush, and healing up instead.

As for the Moonfire combo: That would be an entirely different deck you'd be trying to make. You would have to have other cards that two faceless manipulators are useful with. A five-card combo that requires two turns to play generally isn't worth relying on or basing a deck around. The reason why Malygos and Moonfire are useful in this deck is because they're not exclusively tied together. Malygos must be dealt with, or swipe & starfall wipe the board quite easily (and damage to the face is huge). If Malygos is silenced, he is still a large body on the board; he also can't be removed by priests with any sort of shadow word. Moonfire is useful on its own often (swipe + moonfire often is all you need to finish a board, so the moonfire for 0 often just works as a vanilla spell). Moonfire with Gadgetzan Auctioneer just equates to free damage and quicker players, and it evens out the deck. So Moonfire isn't a card that I wait for Malygos with, unless if I know where the game is going & it's slow and a control-based game.
Reply Quote
New update to the deck (currently rank 65, ranked down from not playing ladder for a day and a bit):

Added wild growths back into the deck. I was wondering why I was performing poorly against warlock, and besides the fact that warlocks are getting a bit tougher (integration of silence, lots more one-turn kill tactics, etc), I didn't have my wild growths. I wasn't getting enough starfall plays off as a result (or bloodmage + starfall plays). I may reduce the count to 1x wild growth, but it's hard to say.

Increased the number of healing touches to 2x. This is almost entirely due to the increase in rush decks in the meta, and the fact that silence is being used at top-tier. Druids either have to go with TONS of defender, or very little dependence on defender. Relying on 1-2 defender creatures = black knight / silence renders them not only useless, but actually worse than useless... they'll drain a turn of mana from you & you'll take extra damage or a killing blow. The healing touches really have helped me quite a bit, even in long-term control matches.

Reduced druid of the claw to only one. I'm still contemplating whether I want 0x, 1x, or 2x.

Ragnaros is out of the deck currently, however I want him back in the deck. He's a useful card, and he's really important in control matchups. It's extremely difficult balancing this deck to function well in all matchups.

2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Wild Growth
2x Healing Touch
1x Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
1x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
1x Ancient of War
1x Alexstrasza
1x Malygos
1x Ysera
Edited by Paul on 12/25/2013 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Paul,

Great deck and great write-up. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your deck and your thoughts behind it. It helps me to better understand how to adjust to the ever changing meta.

I did want to ask you your advice on how you would modify this deck for lower rank players just starting out, who are between rank 10-20 and are having to deal with lots of heavy rush/aggro locks, mages and rogues, which seem to frequent the lower ranks much more than what you run into at the higher ranks? Or would you just use the same deck at these levels too?
Reply Quote
12/25/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Shadowalker
Hey Paul,

Great deck and great write-up. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your deck and your thoughts behind it. It helps me to better understand how to adjust to the ever changing meta.

I did want to ask you your advice on how you would modify this deck for lower rank players just starting out, who are between rank 10-20 and are having to deal with lots of heavy rush/aggro locks, mages and rogues, which seem to frequent the lower ranks much more than what you run into at the higher ranks? Or would you just use the same deck at these levels too?

I began running the deck at the higher ranks (I dabbled with it at rank 8, and then became dedicated to it after that). Prior to that, I was successful with mage giants from rank 20 to 15, and from 15 to 8 with warlock rush.

My deck will take you from rank 25 to legendary without needing to change much. You can look back at my modifications as I've moved up & make small modifications if needed.

My deck might not be the most efficient for grinding the ranks while winstreaks are offered. Quicker rush decks might offer you faster games, which will help you climb faster. At the lower ranks, it's more about a matter of efficiency, since you can win 50% of the time and continue to climb the ranks.

As with any deck, my deck does have counters. My deck has difficulties if my opponent continually plays large drops and nothing else, for example (ie. a bad deck). I've built my deck to deal with other good decks.
Edited by Paul on 12/25/2013 2:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ok thanks for the advice.

Also, why did you decide to remove Ragnaros from your deck? Was he getting silenced too much? He just seems like a staple and cornerstone of the deck?
Reply Quote
12/25/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Shadowalker
Ok thanks for the advice.

Also, why did you decide to remove Ragnaros from your deck? Was he getting silenced too much? He just seems like a staple and cornerstone of the deck?

It wasn't a staple or cornerstone. It just added to the late game plays in the deck. The reason I shifted it out was to get better plays against rush decks, but I want it back in (so by the end of the day it probably will be back in).
Reply Quote
Still trying to figure it out how to play this deck without Malygos, only card I am missing. :(
Reply Quote
Hey Paul,

Thank you very much for the extensive write up on your deck! I was wondering if you have been keeping a track record of your wins/losses, what kind of decks do you have problems against, and if there was any chance you could do a strategy write up for each class you play against.

Happy holidays and all that!
Reply Quote
12/25/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Etrips
Hey Paul,

Thank you very much for the extensive write up on your deck! I was wondering if you have been keeping a track record of your wins/losses, what kind of decks do you have problems against, and if there was any chance you could do a strategy write up for each class you play against.

Happy holidays and all that!

I haven't kept track of my wins/losses. But to give you an idea, I'm rank 66 in ladder and I haven't played a single game in 2 days (so I've lost rank from inactivity -- been a little bored with the game after playing it so much, and been busy with Christmas and whatnot).

The thing is that keeping track of win/loss ratios is not too important. I'm rank 66 legendary: That tells you that my MMR is high, so my win/loss ratio is very high.

The classes that I have the biggest troubles with are probably tempo paladin (lots of mid-range buffed up by the +1/+1 sword creatures with divine shield), some of the new rush warlock decks (I used to beat them easy but they seem to have shifted slightly in the way they're played), and any other rush deck. My deck is built so that it has a chance against everything though. There's not too much of a strategy write-up to give on a class-by-class basis, but there is a strategy write-up that I could do on a archetype basis (ie. vs. all rush decks, vs. all control decks, etc).

I'll give you an example:
- Against combo warriors (brewmaster rush giants), I either find an opening and win fast, or if the game is going slowly I deck them, let them take increasing amounts of draw damage, and then finish them in one turn (takes a little bit of math to make sure they can't combo off).
- Against rush warlocks, I mulligan everything except for my 1&2 cost removals (I don't keep moonfire in my starting hand ever). If I get a wild growth in hand, I mulligan it if I don't have another 1 or 2 cost removal spell in hand already. Wild growth is designed so that I can do everything a turn earlier which allows me to stop warlock rush decks from killing me at that crucial turning point.
- Against control decks (ie. paladin, priest, druid decks since they play out like control due to lots of taunts, etc), I play a long game and I am wary of how I play my cards. I try to make every card count as best I can. I rarely play moonfire before I have malygos in play since moonfire for 1 damage + 1 card draw equates to a less effective card in deck. Usually these games last until the last card in the deck is drawn, so I play very very carefully. This is why Ragnaros needs to be back in the deck, and that's also why naturalize and/or something else might be beneficial to the deck (to give a stronger edge against decks that spam 8/8 taunts and 5/10 taunts -- which are scary to deal with).
- Keeper of the Grove is in there specifically for warlocks, but it's effective against druids, paladins, etc for the silence as well. He's like a 2/4 for 4 with haste that doesn't damage himself on the first attack :) Utility silence if needed. Very useful.

I'm probably going to be bringing the wild growths down to 1x (I don't like drawing into 2, but I have 2 for consistency against warlock). If I bring a wild growth down to 1, I'd bring Ragnaros back into the deck. I'm also tempted to remove the druid of the claw which is in my deck right now for something else. I need to balance taunt in the deck: With the advent of silence rush decks, taunt isn't always a viable option... but there are the games where I really need it. I need to think on it and figure out what might be a better choice (an early game 3/3 for 3 heal, or a later game taunt card) -- difficult choices.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]