Legendary-Ranked Druid: Malygos & Moonfire

Hello Paul!
Such a great deck you are running! Some personal observations if you don't mind.
Druids of the Claw are rarely taunts (except for situations where board control is completely lost), mostly they are 5-4/4 charged removal. So basically you are running 6 of such, is there really a need to? Rag is cool, I'm pretty surprised you let him out. Played early it is a best bullet magnet ever and if you're lucky you may have 2-3 minions trading into him. I guess you know all that though and removed it because of aggro decks where it's closer to useless. Why don't you consider Faceless Manipulator in? It works well with every minion you got safe for keepers (even Thalnos, right). It copies commanders well trading 1 into 2, after having played shammy for a while I tend to praise this singleton.
Reply Quote
I've been playing Druid Control with a variety of legendaries lately too. I keep switching cards around and trying new things. I had settled in on something close to your deck but wasn't running the Claw/Bite cards until I saw your list. I really like those cards in the deck.

I'm grinding up the ranks right now (winning most of my match ups). Here's the list i'm using right now

Zero
Innervate x2
Moonfire x2

One
Claw x2

Two
Wrath x2
Faerie Dragon x2

Three
Tinkmaster Overspark
Dalaran Mage

Four
Bite x2
Swipe x2
Keeper of the Grove x2

Five
Druid of the Claw x2
Gadgetzan Auctioneer x2
Starfire x2

Seven
Ancient of Lore
Ancient of War

Eight
Ragnaros

Nine
Alexstraza
Malygos
Ysera

Other cards I've played around with and keep subbing in/out as I tinker with the deck

Naturalize
Wild Growth (ultimately I don't care for this)
Healing Touch
Cenarius ( 2 taunts minions is the usual drop)
Big Game Hunter
Hungry Crab (1 for a 1/2 isn't Horrible if they aren't playing Murlocs)
Blood Knight (obvious reasons)

I don't have a Bloodmage Thalnos or Black Knight, but both I think would be solid choices. I've thought about Nat Pagle and Sylvanas... maybe the next pack will have a Legendary for me to try out.
Reply Quote
I've been playing Druid Control with a variety of legendaries lately too. I keep switching cards around and trying new things. I had settled in on something close to your deck but wasn't running the Claw/Bite cards until I saw your list. I really like those cards in the deck.

I'm grinding up the ranks right now (winning most of my match ups). Here's the list i'm using right now

Thank you Aisher. I think Paul's deck is now underperforming on lower ranks (stuck at 10). Most matchups are fine, but some really lack Druids of the Claw. Let's say good tempo deck running a staple set of minions (Sergeant, Squire, Engineer, Golem, Cleric, Argus, Dwarf, Commander) wins quite easily, so does the rush hunter - damn, this guy is much faster than warlocks. I don't think Paul considered these matchups playing on highest ranks, but for grinding ranks it should be slightly modified, closer to the one you are running
Reply Quote
12/27/2013 12:37 AMPosted by FiftyDKP

Thank you Aisher. I think Paul's deck is now underperforming on lower ranks (stuck at 10). Most matchups are fine, but some really lack Druids of the Claw. Let's say good tempo deck running a staple set of minions (Sergeant, Squire, Engineer, Golem, Cleric, Argus, Dwarf, Commander) wins quite easily, so does the rush hunter - damn, this guy is much faster than warlocks. I don't think Paul considered these matchups playing on highest ranks, but for grinding ranks it should be slightly modified, closer to the one you are running

I certainly considered those matchups. They are troublesome, however they do require a very unique approach to playing the deck (the first obvious play often isn't the correct play).

The deck really isn't designed for grinding low ranks. It's designed for high-tier play. With that said, it shouldn't get stuck at 10. However, I have noted that the deck isn't something that is static: it's always changing and takes some adaptation :) I always recommend players modify decks as they see fit, and if they're winning, then that's great. If they're not winning, re-evaluate.
Reply Quote
Hey, tried out the deck and I must say it's pretty great. I love spellpower druids and this one takes the cake. Enough removal to control the early and mid game, and of course druids are known for late game. I must ask though, I found myself unwilling to play naturalize most of the time. I took it out in favor of another DotC, because with the popularity of rush decks taunt can be crucial. Sylvanas I find I cant play without, she's just such a board presence and I even play it to keep the opponent from playing minions. She'll usually last a turn or two before they get a silence out in time, and usually gives a momentum and life swing in my favor.

Getting back to Naturalize though, cheap removal is nice but giving the opponent 2 cards is a huge gamble. What would you suggest otherwise?
Reply Quote
Thanks for this stuff Paul, I'm glad somebody is using Malygos.

When you play against Priests, do you hold off placing your big minions because of Mind Control or do you try to overrun him with them? How often do you see Priests btw?
Reply Quote
I got to rank 10 last night with the list as above. Almost all losses have been to rush decks where I got poor draws. I might try to make a small sub somewhere to help against those. The control match ups have been fine.

I only played 1 game against the warrior monk haste giant combo. I didn't do a good job of finding the sweet spot where he couldn't combo out. I need to figure out what cards are required (probably a Malygos with 2x moon fire and 2x innervate and a DotC. That'd hit for 16. Might require a creature or two on the board waiting as well.
Reply Quote
12/27/2013 05:40 AMPosted by LastAergerer
Thanks for this stuff Paul, I'm glad somebody is using Malygos.

When you play against Priests, do you hold off placing your big minions because of Mind Control or do you try to overrun him with them? How often do you see Priests btw?

I seldom play against priests. Usually I can gauge what my opponent is running. If he's a hard-core control priest, I can deck him by playing very carefully. If he's midrange, I'll play accordingly. But I rarely ever play against priest (I think just once ever in ladder). I put in so many drops in the deck specifically so that some can be expendable, but I only put them on the field if I can follow up the next turn with removal or whatever I might need.
Reply Quote
Ive been playing your deck but with wild growth in place of malygnos/alex. I must say wild growth with auctioneer when your at 10 crystals is amazing since it draws you 3 cards for 2 mana.

Besides that I have actually been losing games due to drawing the entire deck too fast...

Also wondering, if your playing druid of the claw as a charger you may as well play argent commander or even leeroy jenkins..

EDIT: Deck also autoloses to mage/shaman if they mirror image/spirit wolves. Mostly the wolves no way your killing them without a swipe and starfall combined and they can do about 10-15 damage in those turns.

EDIT2: Could use a youtube of this. I don't really see how this deck handles high level play since anything 4 toughness your relying on 1 of only 4 removal for. People dropping earth elemental auto win this too. Spending 2-3 cards to remove 1 taunter is too much ;p
Edited by Ellimist on 12/27/2013 7:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/27/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Ellimist
Ive been playing your deck but with wild growth in place of malygnos/alex. I must say wild growth with auctioneer when your at 10 crystals is amazing since it draws you 3 cards for 2 mana.

Besides that I have actually been losing games due to drawing the entire deck too fast...

Also wondering, if your playing druid of the claw as a charger you may as well play argent commander or even leeroy jenkins..

EDIT: Deck also autoloses to mage/shaman if they mirror image/spirit wolves. Mostly the wolves no way your killing them without a swipe and starfall combined and they can do about 10-15 damage in those turns.

EDIT2: Could use a youtube of this. I don't really see how this deck handles high level play since anything 4 toughness your relying on 1 of only 4 removal for. People dropping earth elemental auto win this too. Spending 2-3 cards to remove 1 taunter is too much ;p

1) To address your first problem with decking: That's because you're running wild growth over Malygos and Alexstrasza. This also stems into further problems you're having: Without Malygos and Alexstrasza, every other card which you're judging isn't working correctly in the deck in the long term.

2) To address the druid of the claw part: Someone else mentioned it's a 4/4 charge only. I never said that. It's primarily a taunt. Argent Commander is not a good choice over druid of the claw. I would sooner replace a single bite with an Argent Commander, and I definitely wouldn't do that.

3) The deck doesn't autolose to wolves or mirror image. I'm not sure what problems you're having, but likely it's with mistakes made on your initial hand selection, or errors made in play. Wolves are not a common play at top tier, though they're the harder thing to go up against. Mirror image is extremely easy to deal with. You might also be playing cards when you should be using your hero power.

4) I may get around to that. I've currently taken a break from ladder, I'm sitting at rank 64 out of down-ranking from inactivity. My MMR is very high.
Edited by Paul on 12/27/2013 9:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Any chance you can youtube some of your matches.

I ended up replacing wild growths for a BGH and faceless. I'll try and make a malygnos and alex later in that order. Im actually interested in how Malygnos.

My playstyle with the deck is to just hero power as much as I can and try and hold the spells for when I can land a auctioneer.

For example if your opponent played a harvest golem T3 and you have wrath and moon would you use both to kill it. I just let the broken golem sit there for a turn and only use wrath but maybe I shouldnt use either..

I dunno how dependant it is on malygnos but im dead before turn 9 alot so...
Edited by Ellimist on 12/27/2013 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Scanned through the cards themselves and I have to say, one really needs an open mind to see this deck as viable. When I first thought of a deck built around Malygos the first thing in my mind was that there was no one someone could hold on to spells long enough for it to even work. But after seeing the Bite's, Claw's and most importantly Alextraxas (however you spell it) it makes a lot more sense, and for you to be Rank 2 must reflect that it is viable, although I wouldn't personally play this style, it is interesting nonetheless.

A true reflection of how deep this game can become with a truly creative player is motivated. I too am waiting for a chance to get to work with building decks, but I have been playing for over a month and have yet to receive a single legendary so...
Reply Quote
12/27/2013 10:03 PMPosted by Weak
Scanned through the cards themselves and I have to say, one really needs an open mind to see this deck as viable. When I first thought of a deck built around Malygos the first thing in my mind was that there was no one someone could hold on to spells long enough for it to even work. But after seeing the Bite's, Claw's and most importantly Alextraxas (however you spell it) it makes a lot more sense, and for you to be Rank 2 must reflect that it is viable, although I wouldn't personally play this style, it is interesting nonetheless.

A true reflection of how deep this game can become with a truly creative player is motivated. I too am waiting for a chance to get to work with building decks, but I have been playing for over a month and have yet to receive a single legendary so...

Oh thanks for catching me on that! I missed that. I was rank 2 on the ladder when I posted the deck. I'm not rank 2 in legendary, I'm rank 67 I think now (I was rank 46 when I first moved into legendary). I've decided not to grind legendary, and to simply stay in the top 100 inactive for now. I would have to re-evaluate the metagame to get back into playing, which might require a little deck tweaking, but I would continue to play this deck and expect to hit top 40 with it if I were grinding legendary. That's a realistic expectation.

I think I've underestimated in my guide how difficult the deck is to play, and so I think players who are trying the deck out aren't understanding why certain cards are chosen over other cards. I think I will need to post some games to YouTube to demonstrate certain plays.

12/27/2013 10:02 PMPosted by Ellimist
Any chance you can youtube some of your matches.

I ended up replacing wild growths for a BGH and faceless. I'll try and make a malygnos and alex later in that order. Im actually interested in how Malygnos.

My playstyle with the deck is to just hero power as much as I can and try and hold the spells for when I can land a auctioneer.

For example if your opponent played a harvest golem T3 and you have wrath and moon would you use both to kill it. I just let the broken golem sit there for a turn and only use wrath but maybe I shouldnt use either..

I dunno how dependant it is on malygnos but im dead before turn 9 alot so...

I'll see what I can do. Big game hunter isn't a bad choice, nor is faceless, those works alright for what you want to do. Malygos is a pretty big one not to put into the deck though, but it can be done: He's not absolutely necessary. In fact, faceless is an interesting substitute depending on the meta.

Don't hold the spells 100% of the time. I hold them and use my hero power as much as possible, but I *NEVER* attack a 3/2 with my hero power if I'm not killing the 3/2 on the same turn. If my opponent has a 3/2 on the field and I have a choice between killing it with a small spell or hero powering and attacking their life, I usually kill the 3/2 instead even if I have Gadgetzan in my hand.

That final play is correct. You should never use a moonfire and a wrath to kill a golem. You can use the wrath, wait a turn, and then use your hero power, but never waste the moonfire unless if you're drawing off of it with Gadgetzan.
Reply Quote
Alright thanks for affirming that. I have had more success with the deck the longer I play it. I think my biggest problem is the lack of overspark and yet im unwilling to play naturalize in it's place. This leads to some awkward situations. Specifically with large taunters or playing against the type of druid I use to play (the type with 4/5 watcher, sunfury, argus).

I also wonder about the 2/4 silence guy. I have used him often to take out a fairy dragon or SSC for sure. On the other hand as far as silence go alot of the time im left wishing I was playing the 4/3 silence instead or even something else altogether.

I can't wait to see some footage of this in action though since it's actually the first deck ive played on HS that made me feel like it had some real depth to it (coming from MTG)
Reply Quote
i feel like this deck has a big disadvantage against warlock rush decks. You'll have to show us how you play against them. Sure it's possible to win with the perfect cards, but when you get unlucky at all in your opening hand or which cards you draw it's very hard to get a win.
Reply Quote
So, uh, I'm counting 7 legendaries? How many people have access to all of those cards? A couple?
Reply Quote
Druid isn't for everyone...
Reply Quote
Question for you Paul -

This situation comes up a lot. You're in a position where your opponent has two minions on the table. You're on 9 mana. You have the option to clear his minions with two cards or play Ysera/Malygos/Ragnaros/Etc. You are at about 20 life.

I tend to want to clear his minions first. Most people run some form of removal that would set me way behind on tempo. Sometimes, however, my opponent never takes their foot off the gas pedal and cards like Ysera just sit in my hand for 5 turns because I'm always reacting to what they are doing.

Would you be more aggressive with the finisher cards?
Edited by Octavian on 12/29/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm not Paul, But I've been playing this nonstop the past few days.

Something to think about when playing a control deck full of answers is that not using something because you've got a better play in hand is, IMO, kind of the point. I'd rather have a fistful of options and, many games, Alex or Maly or Ysera or Rag stay in my hand while some 4/4 druids and auctioneers pound it out on the ground. That's Ok. Have a ton of options and pick the best one in each situation. That's what's so great about this deck (all the druid cards with "pick one", the druid power, and having a ton of cards in hand).

As an aside, I've been testing a few new cards -- Doomsayer, Hungry Crab, Bloodmage, Black Knight. They're all great answers, but sometimes a bit of a dead draw.
Reply Quote
This is my new favorite deck! Thanks so much for keeping us posted on it! It's beautiful! *-*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]