Legendary-Ranked Druid: Malygos & Moonfire

01/10/2014 03:27 AMPosted by Paul
Druid is a great class and I'll continue playing with it as one of the decks I use in ladder, but one of the things I'm streaming is my opinion on what changes I need to make to continue playing Druid viably while still keeping fun options open.

I'm curious what you think about the viability of adding a Pint-Sized Summoner or two to this deck, to be played the turn before Malygos. Keeping it alive is a problem (taunts might help) but even one extra mana on the Malygos Turn opens your options for spells and pushes you into one-turn kill territory - Claw being the most obvious example.

Claw + Claw + Moonfire + Moonfire is pretty close to OTK. (Edit - not even getting into Thalanos boosts).

EDIT: While we're at it, Since you are running Innervates anyway, I'm curious why that never even came up as something you discussed doing on the turn you drop Malygos. Seems like an incredibly OP idea to give crazy amounts of mana available on the same turn malygos drops.

Any two of: Pint-Sized prior turn (+ Malygos) + innervate + coin, and we're suddenly talking about a Swipe that does 9 to primary and 6 to board... good grief.
Edited by ughbog on 1/27/2014 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
To answer your question about pint-sized summoner: I don't believe that card is viable in any deck at the moment. There's no way to get a second turn in a row, and it is a 2/2. It doesn't trade with 2/3 creatures, it dies to 2/1 charge & 2+ damage spells, and even if it lasts to the next turn you still have a 2/2 body in exchange for getting a 4-cost drop out on turn 3. If pint-sized were a 3/2 or a 2/3, I'd say it's a wonderful idea (possibly even for this deck). That's my opinion.

To those who have followed this thread/deck and haven't heard from me lately: Sorry, I haven't been playing this deck all of this season. The metagame was in too much of a state of change, and 75% of the time my deck just didn't fit into the metagame for climbing ladder. I didn't want to post saying "the deck is dead": No viable deck is dead necessarily (just possibly not good when the meta is one way or another).

The deck is back in, and here's my new list. It's still in a bit of a state of change... I haven't completely finalized this season's list. Here it is:

2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
1x Wild Growth
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Nat Pagle
1x Healing Touch
2x Earthen Ring Farseer
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Defender of Argus
2x Keeper of the Grove
1x Starfall
1x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Malygos
2x Molten Giant

So how does the deck play now? How is it different? I'm still running the same core combinations: Moonfire, Malygos, Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Bite, Claw, etc...

Where was the deck stale? Well, there aren't as many slow decks. Druid Roar decks are in, rush decks of all types are in, midrange decks of all sorts are in. Slow mage decks aren't as common, for example. Alexstrasza just isn't a viable option anymore. Ysera is arguably pretty difficult to play, though still viable in other decks that offer more taunt-per-turn options.

So what did I decide to do? I decided to pick out my deck's biggest weakness, and make that a bonus. What's the biggest weakness? I can get gunned down too fast. How do I make that a benefit? Molten Giant & Defender of Argus! How do these cards interact with the rest of the deck you ask? Excellently. Here's why:
The deck has excellent drawing power in the mid & late game. The chances of drawing into a Defender of Argus as well as a Molten Giant are high. If I draw into only one, that's fine: I have healing cards, I have some other taunt cards, I can make it work. If I have creatures, I can put defender on them. If I have no defender of Argus but I have molten giant, I can drop him down & heal up. The two additions still work just fine on their own & alongside my deck.

So why does this addition of 2x Defender & 2x Molten Giant help the deck? In what way does it function differently than in say... Warlock Giants, or Druid decks with Defender of Argus? Here's my answer to that:

1) Warlock Giants focuses primarily on defending up, clearing the board, and getting big drops out that are hard to deal with & difficult to get around. This deck doesn't focus around Molten Giant: It's just an option, just like every other card can be played in different ways in this deck. So this deck doesn't require defender, nor does it require Molten Giant to win. The deck doesn't stall for those cards, nor is it seeking to draw them out of the deck necessarily; not unless the game heads in that direction. It's a play option, not a game-plan for turn number one.

2) Other Druid decks incorporate Defender of Argus to work alongside Roar, or to play a midrange game. This deck uses Defender of Argus in a similar way sometimes (buff up that 0/4 and 3/3 to make them both a lot more relevant & keep my life from being torn to shreds). However, in combination with Malygos (a card that, if silenced, becomes a little bit clumsy... put defender back on it & it's a fair bit more useful), or the giants, Defender of Argus becomes a lot better. And, no one expects giants in a Druid deck!! They'll run your life down like mad & not realize *that* is going to come down on the field. With that said, they usually do expect big defender creatures... so don't expect one giant with defender is going to equal a win.
Edited by Paul on 1/27/2014 5:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 05:06 PMPosted by Paul
To answer your question about pint-sized summoner: I don't believe that card is viable in any deck at the moment. There's no way to get a second turn in a row, and it is a 2/2. It doesn't trade with 2/3 creatures, it dies to 2/1 charge & 2+ damage spells, and even if it lasts to the next turn you still have a 2/2 body in exchange for getting a 4-cost drop out on turn 3. If pint-sized were a 3/2 or a 2/3, I'd say it's a wonderful idea (possibly even for this deck). That's my opinion.

To those who have followed this thread/deck and haven't heard from me lately: Sorry, I haven't been playing this deck all of this season. The metagame was in too much of a state of change, and 75% of the time my deck just didn't fit into the metagame for climbing ladder. I didn't want to post saying "the deck is dead": No viable deck is dead necessarily (just possibly not good when the meta is one way or another).

The deck is back in, and here's my new list. It's still in a bit of a state of change... I haven't completely finalized this season's list. Here it is:

2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
1x Wild Growth
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Nat Pagle
1x Healing Touch
2x Earthen Ring Farseer
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Defender of Argus
2x Keeper of the Grove
1x Starfall
1x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Malygos
2x Molten Giant

Hmm interesting, how far have this new deck gotten you?

And with which cards should you replace the Molten Giants if you don't have it? should i just add some Ancient of Lore/War in it?
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 07:47 PMPosted by Miniboss

And with which cards should you replace the Molten Giants if you don't have it? should i just add some Ancient of Lore/War in it?

I'm in rank 3 with the deck, but I'm rank 3 with a lot of decks. I'm finding the combination of being paired against players as low as rank 6 and as high as legendary, it's very difficult to level up. Rank 6-1 players are playing decks they're trying to level up with, which are often upredictable. Legendary players often are playing test decks that aren't ladder-quality, but are just weird and do very well against anything that doesn't rush down the opponent. The result is a frustrating ladder!!

I'm still testing this deck and working on the tweaks, but I am playing it at rank 3. I've won 3 games, lost 2, and haven't played a lot more today.
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 07:59 PMPosted by Paul

I'm in rank 3 with the deck, but I'm rank 3 with a lot of decks. I'm finding the combination of being paired against players as low as rank 6 and as high as legendary, it's very difficult to level up. Rank 6-1 players are playing decks they're trying to level up with, which are often upredictable. Legendary players often are playing test decks that aren't ladder-quality, but are just weird and do very well against anything that doesn't rush down the opponent. The result is a frustrating ladder!!

I'm still testing this deck and working on the tweaks, but I am playing it at rank 3. I've won 3 games, lost 2, and haven't played a lot more today.

I see, and what about the Molten Giants? should i replace those with the Ancients of Lore/War?

I finally got Malygos today and wanted to try something different and good thing this updated deck have fewer legendaries in it compared to the old one.

I'm still missing Nat Paggle and the Giants, i will replace Nat Paggle with an Acolyte of Pain but have no idea with what should i replace the Giants, maybe the Ancients or a Faceless Manipulator, what do you think?
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 08:22 PMPosted by Miniboss

I see, and what about the Molten Giants? should i replace those with the Ancients of Lore/War?

I finally got Malygos today and wanted to try something different and good thing this updated deck have fewer legendaries in it compared to the old one.

I'm still missing Nat Paggle and the Giants, i will replace Nat Paggle with an Acolyte of Pain but have no idea with what should i replace the Giants, maybe the Ancients or a Faceless Manipulator, what do you think?

Oh sorry I forgot to touch on that bit. The molten giants are basically my new addition to the deck. If you weren't to go with molten giants, I'm not sure what you'd do. The defender of arguses all-of-a-sudden become a lot less useful. Without the molten giants, I think the deck would take a different direction altogether, and that would take a lot of thought and testing again from me... and I'm not headed in any other direction at the moment. Something closer to my original version would be where you'd be going I suppose, possibly saturated with more defender creatures (early & late game); that would mean where alexstrasza is, and some other cards, you'd be fitting in defender creatures... I suppose. But that's just such a side-thought on a deck that I haven't really gotten around to (moonfire & malygos might not be as useful in such a setup, or it could be wonderful -- but it would take testing and a different structure).

I've already taken the healing touch and wild growth out of the deck, and in their places I've put in two loot hoarders. The deck is still in a state of flux... I'm changing it every few games to get it to really fit well. The biggest problem with the deck is it is slow and counters other players... I've gone up against some really stupid decks (ie. a legendary player playing Gadgetzan Rogue) that don't do anything for 6 turns, then bam they combo off... so I'm sitting there feeling stupid while I let them rack up mana to get to their inevitable combos. So, I'm considering really putting a bit more pressure into the deck. This might mean the removal of the bites (a likely choice); in the place of those, I would put in two additional creatures. This would bring me to a point where I might want to put in a single roar into the deck to capitalize on it, but I don't know.
Edited by Paul on 1/27/2014 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
I see, thanks for the detailed input as always.

I have the dust to craft at least 1 Giant but i was saving it for more legendaries, i will see what i can do.

I also have Captain Greenskin which is a pretty crappy legendary so i'm thinking in d/e this piece of crap, if i do i can craft the 2 giant, or maybe i can use him in a pirate deck if i get into it, but pirate decks are pretty crappy too.
Edited by Miniboss on 1/27/2014 10:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 10:18 PMPosted by Miniboss

I have the dust to craft at least 1 Giant but i was saving it for more legendaries, i will see what i can do.

I also have Captain Greenskin which is a pretty crappy legendary so i'm thinking in d/e this piece of crap, if i do i can craft the 2 giant, or maybe i can use him in a pirate deck if i get into it, but pirate decks are pretty crappy too.

If you watch the streamer reynad on twitch he plays a druid deck with malygos that's very different from this one, you might want to check it out maybe you could emulate it more easily although I know it does have more legends than just malygos. He doesn't use giants though.

I played the deck myself for a while and it was very good I thought.

EDIT: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=17793/tryhard-2.0 that's the deck... sort of. This was like his first iteration of it he made allot of changes on stream. Druid of the claw, starfall, bite, and healing touch all got cut. Instead he put in azure drake, starfire, harvest golems, and something else that I can't remember now unfortunately but maybe if you watch his stream he'll show it again although he seems to mostly play warrior now.
Edited by FleetBacon on 1/27/2014 11:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 11:00 PMPosted by FleetBacon

If you watch the streamer reynad on twitch he plays a druid deck with malygos that's very different from this one, you might want to check it out maybe you could emulate it more easily although I know it does have more legends than just malygos. He doesn't use giants though.

EDIT: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=17793/tryhard-2.0 that's the deck... sort of. This was like his first iteration of it he made allot of changes on stream. Druid of the claw, starfall, bite, and healing touch all got cut. Instead he put in azure drake, starfire, harvest golems, and something else that I can't remember now unfortunately but maybe if you watch his stream he'll show it again although he seems to mostly play warrior now.

Thanks for the info, i'm currently looking for an alternative with less legendaries because i don't have the dust for them and this version of Paul's deck is cheaper than the old one so this is the one i can afford if i d/e the crappy "Captain Greenskin" of crapiness.

Why on earth druids use so many legendaries, my gawd.
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 11:00 PMPosted by FleetBacon

I've actually got him on my friend list. I don't communicate with him much, though I do watch his stream occasionally. His deck are generally good. I do think he goes through phases of strong opinions on certain cards though (good or bad).

What i dislike most (no direct fault of his own) is what major streams have done to Hearthstone now. I log in and one day, I'll face the same identical deck five times out of ten. The next day, another deck cycles in. It makes the meta not only repetitive, but you end up facing mirror versions of streamed decks that are played exactly as they should be. This makes climbing exceedingly difficult. I'm between rank 4 and rank 1... Jumping back and forth, despite easily reaching and holding rank in legendary last season.

This also influences decks such as this Druid one. If the meta shifts hard for a day or a week, this deck can require major adjustments or a complete rehawl. There are other deck types that hold up well no matter what the meta, so this version likely needs more adaptations. I'll be working a bit on anupdated list tonight.
Reply Quote
I've actually got him on my friend list. I don't communicate with him much, though I do watch his stream occasionally. His deck are generally good. I do think he goes through phases of strong opinions on certain cards though (good or bad).

What i dislike most (no direct fault of his own) is what major streams have done to Hearthstone now. I log in and one day, I'll face the same identical deck five times out of ten. The next day, another deck cycles in. It makes the meta not only repetitive, but you end up facing mirror versions of streamed decks that are played exactly as they should be. This makes climbing exceedingly difficult. I'm between rank 4 and rank 1... Jumping back and forth, despite easily reaching and holding rank in legendary last season.

This also influences decks such as this Druid one. If the meta shifts hard for a day or a week, this deck can require major adjustments or a complete rehawl. There are other deck types that hold up well no matter what the meta, so this version likely needs more adaptations. I'll be working a bit on anupdated list tonight.

Yea people do copy stuff allot. Plenty of people are playing his warrior deck and I even copied his druid deck for a while.

I really hate just copying stuff though so I have changed it but I know what you mean and it is frustrating.

I'm trying to play druid with onyxia now. Pretty funny to play her then innervate power of the wild. Kinda tricky to do though since you need to survive long enough and bait out all their aoe. If you ever wanna try another crazy druid deck maybe you should try that combo, would be cool to see a higher ranked players take on it.
Reply Quote
I have one question

I do have all the cards for this deck except Malygos :P
Fortunately, I still have the option to DE Sylvanas for the full 1600 dust that would allow me to craft Malygos.

Do you guys think that's worth it?
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 10:48 PMPosted by Silverstorm
I have one question

Fortunately, I still have the option to DE Sylvanas for the full 1600 dust that would allow me to craft Malygos.

No way, Sylvanas is a game changer and is a pain in the a$$ to remove, people usually clear his own board just to get rid of her (unless she gets silenced of course).

If i could trade Malygos for Sylvanas i'll do it in a heartbeat.
Edited by Miniboss on 1/28/2014 11:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 11:16 PMPosted by Miniboss
I have one question

No way, Sylvanas is a game changer and is a pain in the a$$ to remove, people usually clear his own board just to get rid of her (unless she gets silenced of course).

If i could trade Malygos for Sylvanas i'll do it in a heartbeat.

Ok, I'll better keep Sylv. I will try to make som alteration of this deck. Moonfire will still draw cards for the Auctioneer and instead of Malygos, I will put in Ysera.
Reply Quote
Having played the several iterations of this deck a couple times I think you should just skip playing the deck all together. Malygos is truly the MVP and a lot of the late game revolves around him. If you do t have maligns you should just copy the several different Druid decks floating around. At least in my opinion playing this deck without malygos is both not fun and pointless. Ysera is definitely no replacement for him. For example that violet paw deck floating around on these forums is good, just as fun, and if you don't have rag you could literally replace him with virtually any high pressure minion such as sylvanas or Ysera and have the same effect.
Edited by Equinamity on 1/29/2014 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2014 01:49 AMPosted by Equinamity
Having played the several iterations of this deck a couple times I think you should just skip playing the deck all together. Malygos is truly the MVP and a lot of the late game revolves around him. If you do t have maligns you should just copy the several different Druid decks floating around. At least in my opinion playing this deck without malygos is both not fun and pointless. Ysera is definitely no replacement for him. For example that violet paw deck floating around on these forums is good, just as fun, and if you don't have rag you could literally replace him with virtually any high pressure minion such as sylvanas or Ysera and have the same effect.

I'm playing a pretty standard druid deck with some legs and wild pyromancer to survive the fast rushes. Just yesterday I checked out the violet paw deck, 1 win / 1 loss so far, so I will keep trying that as well.
I'm looking for a new deck because I'm stuck at rank 11, constantly loosing/winning. This Malygos deck caught my eye mainly because of the Auctioneer/Spell Combos.

Don't know what to do :)
Reply Quote
They say anything to sound this game is not pay2win.. lies.
Reply Quote
02/06/2014 08:41 PMPosted by RobotWorgen
They say anything to sound this game is not pay2win.. lies.

1: Learn the game with basic decks.
2: Play all the classes a lot.
3: Read a lot about the game.
4: Watch streams where people construct and play arena decks.
5: Play arena for 2 weeks.
6: Make anything you want or don't have
7: ....???????????????...
8: profit.
If you have experience with tcg games skip steps 1-4

I forgot a step. Learn how to construct a sentence.
Also last step. Stop necroing old topics.
Reply Quote
So here's a little update.

Season #1: Rank 88 Legendary Finish
Season #2: Level 3 Finish
Season #3: Rank 89 Legendary (currently)

I was somewhat inactive in season #2, and didn't find a deck I was having fun with. The metagame was also in a constant state of flux due to the balance changes, and that made building careful control decks somewhat difficult (since *usually* control decks in Hearthstone are based on a lot of metagame analysis to really make them successful).

I hit legendary this season with my own version of warrior control. I'll post about that later when I'm ready to stream a bit more frequently (hopefully this weekend or thereabouts).

After hitting legendary, I decided to revisit this deck. It's a lot more viable than it was at the end of season 1, during season 2, and at the start of season 3. Now that the metagame has cooled down and decks are somewhat more predictable, this deck can be built & played with more precision, thought, and strategy (rather than just hoping you don't die to a face-rush). The deck is currently still being rebuilt and remanaged, but it looks A LOT like what it used to be. I think there will be 2 to 4 cards shifted around before I'm satisfied with the end result, but here it is for now. It's performing well by the way:

CURRENT MOST UP-TO-DATE LIST (01/27/2014):
2x Innervate
2x Moonfire
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Naturalize
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
1x Nat Pagle
2x Healing Touch
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Bite
2x Swipe
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Starfall
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Ancient of War
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
1x Malygos
1x Ysera
Edited by Paul on 2/24/2014 5:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like you and your deck.

Why the Ancient of War?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]