Combos, Removal & Stealthy Stabby shizz....

Hello everyone. Been playing for a bit with this deck, and quite like 'the feel' of it. But, I still feel it could use some adjustment, so I thought the nice and awesome experts on here, might be able to lend me a hand. :)

The Deck:

1x Preparation
1x Cold Blood
2x Deadly Posin
1x Worgen Infiltrator
1x Blade Flurry
2x Eviscerate
1x Defias Ringleader
1x Ironbeak Owl
1x Knife Juggler
1x Kobold Geomancer
1x Loot Hoarder
1x Perdition's Blade
1x Fan of Knives
1x Dalaran Mage
1x Jungle Panther
1x SI:7 Agent
1x Master of Disguise
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1x Spellbreaker
1x Assassin's Blade
2x Assassinate
1x Azure Drake
1x Fen Creeper
1x Archmage
1x Sprint
1x Ravenholdt Assassin
1x Ysera

I think the mana-curve may also be off a bit, I don't know how important it is though, am definitely not an expert on this, hence the thread. I like how the deck's got a lot of utility in it, I very rarely find myself at a position where I'm not able to pull off at least one thing to handle something nasty.

Anyway, hope you guys can help. Thank you. :)
Reply Quote
Adding the disclaimer that I do not consider myself to be an expert, here are my two cents.

Currently your deck contains a lot of single cards, which adds more randomness than necessary. It might be a good idea to focus your deck on a certain theme and adjust your card selection accordingly, taking more double cards than single ones.

As it is now, your deck is a mixture of multiple things. 4 spell power minions, a couple of spells and some high end minions. You might want to focus specifically on aggro or spellpower. A Dalaran Mage, for example, is a pretty weak creature, but if you can combo it with Backstab (which is a staple card in my deck), it becomes a lot more interesting. There are better choices in terms of spellpower minions, though (another Azure Drake, for example).

That being said, if you could tell me what exactly you want your deck's focus to be, I could give better advice! This also applies to your mana curve, although I do think you could do with some more cheap minions in any case.

On to your current card selection, these are the ones I would definitely change:
- Preparation: Most Rogue spell cards are not that expensive, and unless you make use of minions that have a direct benefit of playing lots of cards (Van Cleef, Questing Adventurer), I would replace this one.
- Ironbeak Owl: Not too big of a fan of this one. Its silence effect is nice, but I rather take a Spellbreaker over this one. Again, this one becomes more interesting in a deck with Van Cleef and QA, but currently, I would replace it.
- Fen Creeper: High cost taunt minion, which does not change much at the stage at which it can be played. Taz Dingo > Fen Creeper any day, and furthermore it might be wise to instead of this one, put in a Defender of Argus or Sunfury Protector. Both more versatile and useful cards, if you ask me.

In replacing these cards, I would consider taking another SI:7, Backstab (!) or perhaps another Defias.

More changes could be made but again, this depends highly on what exactly you want your deck to be focussed on, so please do let us know!
Edited by JorZ on 12/20/2013 4:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the tips and the quick reply.
I think what I like so much about the deck, is it's versatility. It's got a little bit of everything. I'm not sure if that's at all a good tactic. But maybe I could focus it a bit more on stealth and / or combos. I like having a lot of removal, since I'm not running a crazy amount of big hitters, having stuff that can easily remove a big threat, is nice.

I guess that would be a valid question, does the deck really need to have a specific focus?
If it does, then combos would probably be it, perhaps also with the ability to stab stuff.
:)
Reply Quote
Well, what a deck or does not need, depends on the way you like to play. Having fun with your deck / feeling comfortable with it is more important than what 'must' be in it, I would say. Furthermore, experimenting with new decks / adding your own flavor is a lot more interesting and fun to do than copying the current 'best' decks.

Nonetheless, the reason for a focus in your deck is to minimize the randomness of RNG. Less cards = more chance to draw the cards around which you have built your deck = more chance that the combo's / synergies you have thought up and put into your deck, actually happen in-game.

If you want to go for combo's, I'd say make sure you have SI:7x2, Defiasx2, Backstabx2, Evisceratex2 at least. SI:7 has an amazing combo and Defias makes for a nice opening / reasonable play during the game. Especially when combo'd in the beginning with Backstab, these cards can really shift the tempo in the early/mid game. Additionally, Eviscerate gives you 4 damage for 2 cost (if combo'd). Great value for a low cost and versatile card.

Having removal is definitely a good thing. My deck runs the above mentioned cards, along with 1xAssassinate for the occasional heavy hitter that cannot be silenced. Whether you want to run 1 or 2 depends on your prefence. In my experience, I found myself stuck with an Assassinate in my hand many a game, as the current meta is aggro focussed, making an Assassinate too expensive as a removal in most cases.

Anyways, if you run these mentioned combo cards and an Assassinate or two, I wonder if having additional spell damage minions is going to be that useful. What is your experience in this respect? Has the extra spell damage given you just the extra damage in certain situations to be able to remove certain minions / win the game due to 1 or 2 extra damage to the face of your opponent? If not, then I would recommend that you replace those cards and add more low cost cards to adjust your mana curve a bit and enable yourself to put on more aggression in the early game. In my experience, tempo is a big, if not the biggest, deal in this game, and ensuring this early on wins you a lot of games.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know what you think!
Edited by JorZ on 12/23/2013 2:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]