Priest under powered?

I see plenty of people claiming priests are under powered and are currently the worst class in the beta. Personally i think that is utter crap, no class is the worst or the best, some are just easier for a majority of people to play as thus you encounter those "best" classes more often and risk losing to them more often as a result making them seem the "best". Priests are simply underplayed by players who know how to use them, they may sometimes rely on lucky draw power or combos, but when you get those draws and play those combos they are very very powerful.
Reply Quote
I went here to discuss priests being overpowered, so I'll just fill in here.

From my experience priests are too powerful, because:

EARLY GAME
Northshire Cleric, 3 health semi-hard to deal with the first turns, usually results in efficient draws.
Add in PW shield and it pretty much demands a "destroy" card, still giving draw
Shield Bearer + Inner Fire combo, nuff said
But finally the most important, Lightwarden and Young priestess... I had one game where I got these two out together early, I literally just had to keep healing my Lightwarden and I think she ended up with 18 dmg.. If you're playing against classes with no real removal like a Paladin they're just screwed.

MID GAME
Shadow Word Pain and Death, guaranteed removal of most stuff, seems ridiculous combined with their general really powerful sustainability.
Shadow Madness often takes out 2 enemy minions in one go.
Holy Nova.. Both heals (which synergizes with many other priest stuff) and deals dmg, so they got strong AoE removal and direct removal.

END GAME
Mind Control, crazy

They just seem to be equipped for everything, they got a lot of stuff that can make them snowball real quick and really powerful removal... Just my thoughts
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 03:36 PMPosted by HateBucket
Just my thoughts

I feel that it is a lil under powered in arena compared too some of the other decks.

Just my thoughts.....

In constructed its like the op stated. If you get a good draw and the combos are played properly then they work great.
Reply Quote

EARLY GAME
Northshire Cleric, 3 health semi-hard to deal with the first turns, usually results in efficient draws.
But finally the most important, Lightwarden and Young priestess... I had one game where I got these two out together early, I literally just had to keep healing my Lightwarden and I think she ended up with 18 dmg.. If you're playing against classes with no real removal like a Paladin they're just screwed.

MID GAME
Shadow Word Pain and Death, guaranteed removal of most stuff, seems ridiculous combined with their general really powerful sustainability.
Holy Nova.. Both heals (which synergizes with many other priest stuff) and deals dmg, so they got strong AoE removal and direct removal.

END GAME
Mind Control, crazy

They just seem to be equipped for everything, they got a lot of stuff that can make them snowball real quick and really powerful removal... Just my thoughts

Well just because you have problems with priests doesn't mean they're OP. In the current meta of rush decks, priests are awful. Their only aoe spell is holy nova, which is 5 mana for only 2 damage which pretty terrible. So they get swarmed extremely easy, All of their removal has conditions, while other classes have unconditional removals. Lightwarden + priestess requires a fair amount of luck to draw that, and is also a very gimmicky play that is easily shut down. Then inner fire and divine spirits are just plain terrible because everybody runs silence making it a 2-1 trade in favor of them. And as for mind control, nobody even runs that crap because its so bad when you're playing vs a competent player.
Reply Quote
Priest underpowered?! U dominated all those weeks and u still QQ? Plz learn to utilize your deck and strategies first and then make topics with no logic.
Reply Quote

EARLY GAME

MID GAME

END GAME
Mind Control, crazy

You suck hard... just my thoughts.
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Gohanitos
Priest underpowered?! U dominated all those weeks and u still QQ? Plz learn to utilize your deck and strategies first and then make topics with no logic.

It is legit one of the worst classes in the games going by the numbers. It has nothing to do with strats and l2p issues.
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 04:05 PMPosted by Cheater
I feel that it is a lil under powered in arena compared too some of the other decks.

Uhh... Don't pick priest in arena? They are combo reliant, and their cards require synergy of course they are going to be weak in arena...

In general priests kind of function stupidly right now... Either you can kill their stuff, or you can't. If you can, you win. If you can't, you lose, and it comes down as much to their draw as your own because of all of the health bonuses/healing they can do.
Their hero power is also the best... It's essentially the mage hero power x2, but it heals instead of doing damage (unless you play a soulpriest or shadowform, then it is just a stronger version of the mage power.). Warriors have effectively the same hero power, but they can only use it on themselves, and they don't have as much synergy with it.

I don't think they are overpowered, just that they don't function in a way that is good for the game... And lately Priests are what I have been facing the most of (at rank 15 currently)

Warlock is probably the best for arena, since it gives you guaranteed card draw which works better with the non-class oriented cards.
Edited by Asamu on 12/19/2013 4:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
In general priests kind of function stupidly right now... Either you can kill their stuff, or you can't. If you can, you win. If you can't, you lose, and it comes down as much to their draw as your own because of all of the health bonuses/healing they can do.

This is how it is for all decks and all classes. Whoever maintains board control will win the game, regardless of class. Because its a card game, it is also extremely RNGish.

I don't think they are overpowered, just that they don't function in a way that is good for the game... And lately Priests are what I have been facing the most of (at rank 15 currently)

Not sure if priests are good or bad for the game. I think they are a bit under-powered though. I just think they are popular to play because a long control game is fun. Some of those people at rank 15 probably got there on another class.
Edited by Travaxi on 12/19/2013 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Priests have more AoE: Auchenai Soulpriest + Circle of Healing that is a 4 damage Hellfire.
Best thing is it only costs 4 mana.....

Underpowered? not really
Reply Quote
Keep in mind that the Auchenai + Circle combo requires two cards for only 4 damage that will hurt the priest's side of the board as well. Compared to a Equality + Consecration or Equality + Pyro combo which garuntees total board wipe, where the second is only 5 mana I think. The priest version doesn't even come close to that.
Also note that Soulpriest might be on the board when you need to Holy Nova, damaging your own minions, I've been forced to kill off my own Soulpriest just to stop that.

People don't seem to realize that damage is worth a lot more than healing in most situations, healing can be worked around somewhat, but damage can't.
Reply Quote

EARLY GAME

MID GAME

END GAME
Mind Control, crazy

Priests have some very powerful cards, but all of their cards are very situational. Very specific. What you're describing is a perfect game with perfect draws. A lot of the games however, you draw the wrong answers to the current board situation. As a result the priest deck is extremely inconsistent. SW:Death might be great vs. a druid, but completely useless vs. Rogue, Mage and Warlock.

Compare this to some other classes. Druids have a lot of spells with choice, allowing them to use a card differently in different situations. Rogue and Mage spells deal damage. In other words, you can combine spells to kill a bigger target, or you can switch your damage to actually kill the player. Also their hero abilities directly synergize with their spells.

Sometimes a fireball might be LESS useful. Sometimes an eviscerate might be LESS useful. But you can always use them. When it comes to the Priest deck, depending on your opponent's deck, half of your spells might become completely useless. That's why currently priests are the most under powered (okay, maybe hunters have it worse ..).
Reply Quote
01/11/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Inreal

Sometimes a fireball might be LESS useful. Sometimes an eviscerate might be LESS useful. But you can always use them. When it comes to the Priest deck, depending on your opponent's deck, half of your spells might become completely useless. That's why currently priests are the most under powered (okay, maybe hunters have it worse ..).

Oh, how many times have I had a 2-3 Shadow Word Deaths/Pains in my hand when my opponent is running a deck with seemingly only 4-attack minions. Nothing like have a hand full of removal that you can't use against the two Agent Commanders that are destroying you.
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 02:54 PMPosted by MarkDean
but when you get those draws and play those combos they are very very powerful.

Exactly there is the problem.
If you draw perfect you can dominate pretty hard.

The way the game plays atm combo playstyle is at a severe disadvantage. Everything is about early aggression and effective trading. Which is hard when you hardly have cards that are good by itself and dont have to be played in conjunction with something else.
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Gohanitos

Lmao, be quiet with your "logic"
Reply Quote
Dear everyone in this thread who think Priests are a decent class.

Go play Priests. Get to rank 9. Provide proof. There's a darn good reason Priests are underplayed, yet still apparently omnipresent in ranks 15-20. It's because there's a wall around rank 15 for non-legendary stacking Priests where the good players put some silences and a bunch of 4 damage minions in their deck and roll all over Priests.

Hard mode: do it with a max of 1 legendary.
Reply Quote
I feel like priest is underpowered.Played a lot of it lately.

Can`t get past rank 8 with it, though have tried all kind of things. Problem is that making good plays u need to pull of combos that are most of the time unreliable.

in this aggro meta i ran

2 x pyro
2 x pw:shield
2 x auchenai
2 x circle of healing
2 x holy novas
2 x holy fires

as the basic body

other deck varies but atm it is

1 x smite
1 x cleric
1 x pagle
1 x pain
1 x death
1 x thoughtsteal
2 x blademasters
1 x senji
2 x twilight drakes
1 x faceless
1 x venture
1 x cabal
1 x black knight (for druid and warlock giant match up, lots of those on rank 6-8)
1 x ysera
1 x mc
1 x mountain giant

Basicly u bait the zoos and other aggros to turn 3-4 and start pulling urself back to the game with pyro + circle of healing/coin/smite/pain etc.

i have over 80 % winrate against zoos, murlocks ar harder though and other aggros (pala, rogue)

Warlock giant is annoying as hell to deal with, but i think the worst match up is the huntard... I think i have just bad luck with it cause every game my opponent draws the 2 uth, buzzards, weapons and leeroy. Works fine against warrior control most of the times.

Problem is that if u dont draw auchenai + circle of healing or pyro + couple cheap spells by turn 4... The mechanic is just too gimmicky most of the time. On the coin this deck is so much better.

03/10/2014 04:31 PMPosted by DogofWar1
Dear everyone in this thread who think Priests are a decent class.

Go play Priests. Get to rank 9. Provide proof. There's a darn good reason Priests are underplayed, yet still apparently omnipresent in ranks 15-20. It's because there's a wall around rank 15 for non-legendary stacking Priests where the good players put some silences and a bunch of 4 damage minions in their deck and roll all over Priests.

Hard mode: do it with a max of 1 legendary.
btw i ran with just ysera to rank 10

I have considered running that sunfury taunt garbage, but i dont like that way of approach. :P
Edited by Puksi on 3/11/2014 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
priest is a hunter killer in current meta... you play priest with no board

play a use the other persons deck priest have a taz dingooo have double ooze

and only need to play one card

proc traps ooze the 2 3/2 secret weapons and nova or pyro the small unleashes they do

either card them out or kill with one minion

other than that i suffer against fast paced decks seems pretty balanced to me
Reply Quote
Not as hard as you... Justin Bieber
Reply Quote
Priests are very weak vs rush decks as they have few ways to break tempo before turn 5. It is why I am running pryos and aboms in my priest deck.

That and having a crippling weakness to azure/twilight drakes, yetis, auctioneers, ysera, mal, aboms, spellbreakers, korkrons, and many other core cards is devastating. You have to jump through hoops to maintain board control when half the minions people use are immune to your removes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]