Murloc decks: How do I stop them ?

Do I need a Blizzard before turn 5 or I straight out lose ? I have some AoE , I even drew an Arcane explotion but that does nothing really.

Are murlock decks sth we just are supposed to lose against in order to win vs other types of decks? They way it is right now it looks like I would have to construct a deck specificaly to beat Murlocks and nothing else.

I really don´t know how to beat it :S
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
In general, you have to outlast Murloc decks and keep knocking their stuff off the board in the early game. If they build up, you'll get crushed. This means having enough early-game control like Frostbolt, Arcane Missiles, and Wild Pyromancer (not necessarily saying all). Abomination can be pretty effective as a mid-game drop. If you can drag on the early turns long enough, they'll start to fall behind, but you need to prevent them from gaining board control in the early game, or else the Murlocs will start buffing up so strong that you won't be able to manage them.
Reply Quote
Ok i just beat it, but i think i got a lucky draw, mirror image, sorcerer´s apprentice and then arcane explotion, cone of cold, blizzard, and finally a flamestrike (after I cleared his entire board he renewed his board all over again with infinity buffs to have 4 or 5 health murlocs again .... )

It was the perfect hand, if my blizzard had been delayed for 1 or 2 turns I would have been dead, this murloc deck still feels kinda imba ... leaves almost 0 room for bad luck
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 12:54 PMPosted by ZeratulARG
Ok i just beat it, but i think i got a lucky draw, mirror image, sorcerer´s apprentice and then arcane explotion, cone of cold, blizzard, and finally a flamestrike (after I cleared his entire board he renewed his board all over again with infinity buffs to have 4 or 5 health murlocs again .... )

It was the perfect hand, if my blizzard had been delayed for 1 or 2 turns I would have been dead, this murloc deck still feels kinda imba ... leaves almost 0 room for bad luck

Like Sar mentioned thats why you have to get rid of their minions as fast as possible.
As a Hunter I deal with Town Scrubs and Murlocs with UTH and Timber Wolves as a general counter, sometimes even giving me a free Sea Giant.
But its definitely rough to deal with those types of decks as much as I hate dealing with freezes and spell damage + minions. ;p
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Sar
In general, you have to outlast Murloc decks and keep knocking their stuff off the board in the early game. If they build up, you'll get crushed. This means having enough early-game control like Frostbolt, Arcane Missiles, and Wild Pyromancer (not necessarily saying all). Abomination can be pretty effective as a mid-game drop. If you can drag on the early turns long enough, they'll start to fall behind, but you need to prevent them from gaining board control in the early game, or else the Murlocs will start buffing up so strong that you won't be able to manage them.

Which is pretty much impossible, I have 2 mage decks, One where I use mana wyrm, arcane explosion,arcane missiles. Frost bolts etc and another where I have early game op neutral mobs with only frostbolts. Without getting a 100% perfect draw, there is absolutely nothing you can do against warlocks as they only have 1,2 mana minions and never run out of cards. Blood Imp is the best 1 mana minion in the whole game that pretty much guarantees that the lock's minion will always outlast yours. Cone of cold is now 100% useless against locks, by the time you can use it, even their blood imp has more than 1 hp. If you survive long enough to 7 mana, you won't have flamestrike in your hand. And even if you do, their 2, 0 mana 4 dmg spells will finish you off. Frost bolts are very ineffective as while you kill 1 minion, the lock will summon 2,3 minions starting from turn 1.

Blood imps should either be a battlecry effect/adjacent effect or at the very least should be silence-able.
Its all very nice how Blizzard nerfs the only thing that helped mages against rush decks and doesn't give us any other alternatives. Arcane missiles should be made that it priorities minions and only attacks hero if there is nothing else to attack. Or mages should get an unique 1 mana +1 spell damage spell so that arcane explosion can actually make a difference early game.

The mage decks that people are apparently having success with rely on you having 6+ epics and a few legendaries... Mages also rely heavily on cards coupling. E.g. +1 dmg with arcane explosion or blizzard, Mana wyrm with 1 mana cost spells, sorcerer at a time where it actually saves you mana. Even a secrets deck requires you to draw a kirin tor and ethereal arcanist at the perfect times to even have a small chance against a basic deck.

I just managed to get on a winning row back to 1 star off rank 7 and now i'm midway rank 8 after 3 loses in a row to warlocks. Its just stupid because even non aoe classes can deal better against lots of mobs than mages which somewhat defeats the point of a mage.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/01/2014 08:10 AMPosted by Crowskull

Which is pretty much impossible, I have 2 mage decks, One where I use mana wyrm, arcane explosion,arcane missiles. Frost bolts etc and another where I have early game op neutral mobs with only frostbolts. Without getting a 100% perfect draw, there is absolutely nothing you can do against warlocks as they only have 1,2 mana minions and never run out of cards. Blood Imp is the best 1 mana minion in the whole game that pretty much guarantees that the lock's minion will always outlast yours. Cone of cold is now 100% useless against locks, by the time you can use it, even their blood imp has more than 1 hp. If you survive long enough to 7 mana, you won't have flamestrike in your hand. And even if you do, their 2, 0 mana 4 dmg spells will finish you off. Frost bolts are very ineffective as while you kill 1 minion, the lock will summon 2,3 minions starting from turn 1.

Blood imps should either be a battlecry effect/adjacent effect or at the very least should be silence-able.
Its all very nice how Blizzard nerfs the only thing that helped mages against rush decks and doesn't give us any other alternatives. Arcane missiles should be made that it priorities minions and only attacks hero if there is nothing else to attack. Or mages should get an unique 1 mana +1 spell damage spell so that arcane explosion can actually make a difference early game.

The mage decks that people are apparently having success with rely on you having 6+ epics and a few legendaries... Mages also rely heavily on cards coupling. E.g. +1 dmg with arcane explosion or blizzard, Mana wyrm with 1 mana cost spells, sorcerer at a time where it actually saves you mana. Even a secrets deck requires you to draw a kirin tor and ethereal arcanist at the perfect times to even have a small chance against a basic deck.

I just managed to get on a winning row back to 1 star off rank 7 and now i'm midway rank 8 after 3 loses in a row to warlocks. Its just stupid because even non aoe classes can deal better against lots of mobs than mages which somewhat defeats the point of a mage.

In all fairness, he didn't ask about the standard Warlock rush deck, he asked about Murloc rush, which is why I answered it.

I run a relatively early game mage deck, and I probably lose to the standard Warlock rush 2 out of 3 times. It's just the way it is; not all matchups are equal. People always complain about how their matchup against mage puts them at a disadvantage (Shamans in particular). Such matchups simply exist sometimes, and heavy Warlock rush is simply one that's usually hard to compete against as a mage.

On the other hand, I've found the Murloc rushes to be much more easily manageable. The decks tend to be a bit slower in terms of ramping up; their ramp-up is far more dangerous, but it occurs at a pace that I can much more easily handle, such that I think I go roughly 50-50 against Murloc Warlock rush (maybe even a bit better than that).
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 08:13 AMPosted by Sar

In all fairness, he didn't ask about the standard Warlock rush deck, he asked about Murloc rush, which is why I answered it.

I run a relatively early game mage deck, and I probably lose to the standard Warlock rush 2 out of 3 times. It's just the way it is; not all matchups are equal. People always complain about how their matchup against mage puts them at a disadvantage (Shamans in particular). Such matchups simply exist sometimes, and heavy Warlock rush is simply one that's usually hard to compete against as a mage.

On the other hand, I've found the Murloc rushes to be much more easily manageable. The decks tend to be a bit slower in terms of ramping up; their ramp-up is far more dangerous, but it occurs at a pace that I can much more easily handle, such that I think I go roughly 50-50 against Murloc Warlock rush (maybe even a bit better than that).

Mages tend to have a lot of such opponents tbh. Druids and Paladins also directly counter mages.
Any priest with a bit of common sense can outheal the damage from mage but it is harder. Shamans... All their spells are better than Mages, their only disadvantage is the lack of pyroblast, which although is a big one, if they manage to control the board with their more effective abilities than they shouldn't get to the point where they can get double blasted.
Warriors are slightly weird, you have to be careful of 1 shot decks but apart from that, they are a pretty weak class and mages do not have any bigger advantage than any other class.(At least from personal experience)

Rogues are another class that tends to destroy me, their early low cost dmg abilities and combos are just too much for any of my minions and by the time I can get an AOE ability in, I'm likely to be low enough to be destroyed. If I do manage to get even a slight board control early though, they aren't that much of an issue.

Hunters are very rarely seen, so I can't really comment much.
Edited by Crowskull on 1/1/2014 8:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
You could also try with 2x Frost Nova and 2x Doomsayer. After the mage nerf I'm running them in all of my control mage decks and they are pretty effective. Often you can combo them at turn 4 with coin. You can also just drop a Doomsayer at turn 2, and and with the board empty at turn 3 is very easy to control the game with CoC Blizzards and Frostbolts.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 08:47 AMPosted by Mr0range
You could also try with 2x Frost Nova and 2x Doomsayer. After the mage nerf I'm running them in all of my control mage decks and they are pretty effective. Often you can combo them at turn 4 with coin. You can also just drop a Doomsayer at turn 2, and and with the board empty at turn 3 is very easy to control the game with CoC Blizzards and Frostbolts.

That seems like a decent idea, If only I had the dust to craft them ;P. I know u can't really complain about classes when you don't have certain cards, but given the style of the game, you shouldn't need epic cards to beat commons.
Reply Quote
I've had luck against this deck on my priest. Usually I have to wait until turn 4 or 5 though. Aucheni Shadow Priest + CoH, or Holy Nova.

I have a terrible time with these on my mage though. Usually due to a crap draw.
Reply Quote
Forget all what you read !

The ONLY way to counter a murlock/rush deck as a Mage is to get the perfect card draw from beginning. If you are forced to wait turn 5 for Blizzard (if you draw it) you have 95% chance to lose the game...

Now, you understand why Mage player like me are furious... you can't do nothing !!! this is supposed to be a TCG game. not a poker game....
Edited by BULLIT on 1/28/2014 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well not true after imp nerf. If warlock has ideal starting setup yes, but that counts for every deck. If you encounter murlocks all the time, it would be wise to change your setup a little, Arcane missiles, arcane explosion+ geomancer combo work like wonder. Use big dmg spells or sheep if possible.to get rif of Murlock warleader knife juggler to get rid of them asap if at board, try to control the board dont care about direct dmg to lock. Some taunt,ice barrier is also usefull. I am generally trying to survive untill spellbender and Antonidas can be played and then paybayck time.

Before imp nerf i had feeling , that if not real bad setup for lock i had not chance, now you have pretty good chance.
Reply Quote
Doomsayer <3 He's my favourite kind of removal really, since he's stalling heaps early game as well.
Reply Quote
Doomsayer <3 He's my favourite kind of removal really, since he's stalling heaps early game as well.

Doomsayer is a hit or miss though. If the opponent has enough attack power theyll just rush into Doomsayer, which could prevent some damage going to you instead but wouldn't really help you at all after that turn. Any type of hard removal gets rid of it and there are alot of them to choose from. The only reliable times to pull him off is either very early like straight at turn 2-3 at least at a point were it's unlikely that your opponent has a means to get rid of it.
In my pala deck, I actually run Doomsayer just in case and at turn 2-3 + redemption it could throw off the opponent completely and could potentially even cause them to flat out skip 2 turns, which if you start out with an awfull hand works out.
Doomsayer in my priest deck was a silly pick as well, but it was too unreliable since I had to rely on a owl to silence, so I removed it in the end. Doomsayer could be a potential 7/7 in a priest deck for around 5 mana. Doomsayer 2 mana , Inner Fire 1 mana and an owl 2 mana. The Silence Spell could also work, but I prefer to have a minion out instead, Though that way it could be a 3 mana play.

Wild Pyromancer would probably be your best bet, drop Wild Pyromancer use something cheap like Arcane Missles, arcane explosion, Frost Bolt or Arcane intellect, whatever as long as it's a spell. You could combo Polymorph with Wild Pyromancer as wel.
Edited by SperoMcgee on 1/28/2014 6:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
When you face a murclock deck try to play creatures first one two turns and dont let you opponent swarm the board. If he has a murclock who is buffing other murclocks kill him ASAP, because if you dont kill him next turn he can play another buffing murclock and its over. Another strategy is kiting you opponent in mass aoe.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]