Mirror Image bugged?

I thought I check here with you guys first before I call it a bug, but my Mirror Image card doesn't copy the battlecry effect.

Has anyone gotten confirmation that this is how it is supposed to work from Blizzard?

And if so, I might as well start a discussion on how you feel about this.

I think this makes the card almost useless whenever we are dealing with a battlecry minion (which is often). This secret is supposed to be a "aha gotcha" moment where you get a copy of an enemy's minion and get to use it before s/he does, it is comeback card but I sure as hell can't make any comeback at all when I get a crappy effectless Defender of Argus or Sunfury Protector and the other person is sitting behind buffed up taunters now.
Edited by MayhemInc on 1/1/2014 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey there.

I think the card that you're referring to Mirror Entity and not Mirror Image. Mirror Image is the one mana card that summons 2 0/2s with taunt.

Okay. Now on to your question. It is not a bug. When Mirror Entity copies a minion, it does NOT proc the battlecry effect. This is actually pretty fair, considering that the minion did not enter the battlefield through "normal summoning". This same rule applies to other cards such as alarm-o-bot ect.

Another thing, mirror entity is merely a 3 mana common card. And hence it's strength is well reflected with it's ability. The thing is, doing things like summoning creatures that are useless without their battle cry or weaker creatures is the work-around to this secret.

PS: At first, I thought Mirror Entity was a cool card. It was basically an answer to whatever my opponent summons next.
But just after my first few days of playing hearthstones, I removed it from my deck and never touched it again. I may even disenchant it soon!
Reply Quote
It's working as intended. The fact that mirror entity has the potential to pick up heavier cost minions is already pretty strong. Not only that, if your opponent decides to clear it (since that minion is played his turn and thus ready for your turn), it still procs deathrattle (so if he has nothing but a loot hoarder to play around mirror entity, you at least got somewhat of a trade + card draw).

If it did indeed trigger battlecries, that would be strong as well as a weird mechanic to play with (how do you manage battlecries like dark iron dwarf or sun cleric? You can't cut into your opponent's time choosing what to buff, that would be a difficult mechanic to implement and unfair).

And as above mentioned, it works similarly to alarm-o-bot (which is why that card is generally bad as it forsakes battlecries).
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
Battlecries only occur when a card is played. Mirror Entity summons a minion, and as such, the battlecry is not copied. Play refers to paying the mana cost to put a minion from your hand onto the table; summon refers to a minion entering the board no matter how it enters.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 12:05 PMPosted by Mintz
If it did indeed trigger battlecries, that would be strong as well as a weird mechanic to play with (how do you manage battlecries like dark iron dwarf or sun cleric? You can't cut into your opponent's time choosing what to buff, that would be a difficult mechanic to implement and unfair).

That is a good point, however I do not think it would be that hard to work around. Make it so you have 5-10 seconds to choose what to do with the battlecry, this time is not taken away from your enemy's turn (it is effectively on stand-by for those few seconds).

However I see you too found its usefulness suspect, I would sure love to hear more opinions, maybe it does deserve a buff of some kind.

Battlecries only occur when a card is played. Mirror Entity summons a minion, and as such, the battlecry is not copied. Play refers to paying the mana cost to put a minion from your hand onto the table; summon refers to a minion entering the board no matter how it enters.

I see, I'll be mindful of that distinction. Thank you.
Reply Quote
I have a question perhaps related to this. My opponent had Mirror Entity played, and I played my Mirror Image card. It DID NOT PROC her Mirror Entity Card, and then, (stupid me, thinking it was the armor secret instead) I played my Ysera card, and got owned.

Why does the Mirror Entity card not proc when Mirror Image is played?
Reply Quote
Mirror Image is cast as a spell, so the spell isn't copied.
Reply Quote
Oh, thanks!
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 03:52 PMPosted by MayhemInc
01/01/2014 12:05 PMPosted by Mintz

That is a good point, however I do not think it would be that hard to work around. Make it so you have 5-10 seconds to choose what to do with the battlecry, this time is not taken away from your enemy's turn (it is effectively on stand-by for those few seconds).

Implementing the mechanism--for one class--time to cut in on an opponent's turn, for a single card specific to that class, would be rather clunky and unnecessary, no? Plus, how do we then establish how much time is appropriate to grant the player controlling Mirror Entity? 5 seconds, 10 second, 30 seconds--any amount of time seems arbitrary, as it's not their turn to begin with. Probably best to just leave it be. :)
Reply Quote
Wait, then why does it work for the knife thrower if that's a spell?
Reply Quote
06/02/2014 12:23 PMPosted by Eowynn
Wait, then why does it work for the knife thrower if that's a spell?

Because Knife Juggler works on any minion that is summoned. Mirror Entity works on minions that are played.

Sar already explained the difference between the terms.
Reply Quote
A common confusion with these cards.

There are essentially two types of minions with effects: Those that *do*, and those that *have*.

Anytime it says "battlecry" it is only when it is played from the hand to the board. If it enters the board any other way, it isn't being played from the hand, so it doesn't apply.

However, anytime it says "whenever" or "has" (such as "enrage: your weapon has +2) it is an effect that only occurs while the card is there, but is always active so long as the card remains.

The knife juggler works because it is a "has" card (it has an effect). The battlecry doesn't because it is a "do" card, that the conditions werent fulfilled to activate.

Hopefully that helps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]