Shadow Word 4 attack exemption?

I think it's good as it tbh, 4 mana SW:D would be a drastic nerf. Priests have a lot of cheap removal because we suffer stupidly badly at early game particularly turns 3-5 where the 4 attack minions will be trading, and part of that is due to having the 4 attack blindspot, it just means that you have to cater your deck to somehow cover your early game weakness. A 4 mana SW:D would weaken our early and late game.
Reply Quote
personally, i like the idea of expanding SW:Death to include (4 cost) 4 attack and above minions, but I would want to see SW:Pain reduced to (1 cost) 2 attack and below minions as a trade. Then, to balance it all off, change Holy Smite to a (2 cost) 3 damage card.
Edited by beneviolence on 2/13/2014 10:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Personally I think SW:P and SW:D should just be redesigned. Having 2 hard removals is kind of dumb and the 4 attack blind spot is pretty bad for the class. Something like having SW:P changed to reduce the attack of an enemy creature by 2, and having SW:D into something like destroy target creature and priest takes 3 damage, similar to how SW:D was used in WoW itself, when (once upon a time) it hurt the priest casting the spell.
Reply Quote
SW:Pain
3 Mana

Target Minion takes 1 dmg per turn

SW:Death
3 Mana

Target Minion dies after its next attack
Edited by beneviolence on 2/13/2014 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
You shouldn't be able to remove every creature in the game with cards and not have a creature of your own out. The point is creatures remove creatures...I have killed so many priests who just remove and remove and puts nothing on board and just die...
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 09:42 PMPosted by beneviolence
SW:Pain
3 Mana

Target Minion takes 1 dmg per turn

SW:Death
3 Mana

Target Minion dies after its next attack

both would be worthless. Look at corruption and see how much that is used. Priest needs the hard removal to be in line with mages/shamans removal.
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 09:51 PMPosted by Dierdrea
You shouldn't be able to remove every creature in the game with cards and not have a creature of your own out. The point is creatures remove creatures...I have killed so many priests who just remove and remove and puts nothing on board and just die...

Bad priests then, true control priests need a ton of removal (about 15-18 spells) to be successful. But even then you are right, you need minions to back it up.
Reply Quote
what priests lack are offensive spells to use *with* minions. All we have, really, is Inner Fire.

And yes, DS/IF combo blah blah, but a simple hex or poly or what have you in a match with a competent player will be waiting. If they didn't clear it the round before and you have the opportunity to buff and attack same turn, then they are falling prey to the same problem of lack of minions.

those two spells, paired with your minions in play, would direct the opponents choice, and heavily influence the next turn, potentially, of course.

the flavor of the priest is mind control, isn't it?
Reply Quote
The "4 attack exemption" is a feature of the class; a weakness. It is compensated for by the strength of Shadow Words vs creatures with any other attack.

It hardly "forces" people to play a specific way - if anything, you WANT priests to be able to remove your early drops with their Shadow Words so that they can't use them on your stronger, later drops.
Reply Quote
The 4 attack exemption is a fairly large issue with the class due to the many 4 attack utility minions that are in the game that are strong. Ysera, Black Knight, Argent Commander, Dark Iron Dwarf, Druid of the Claw, Azure Drake, Sunwalker, just to name a few that I see daily. A deck with several of these minions are an absolute nightmare because you all those Shadow Words you get are dead cards against them. The 4 attack blindspot is one of the big reasons they can't compete at the upper levels.
Edited by Wavebuster on 2/15/2014 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
It hardly "forces" people to play a specific way.
Which is why we don't currently have a meta surrounding strong 4 attack drops, right? That's why many legendaries don't have 4 attack? I want you to think, for just a moment, what would happen to the card pool if 4 attack cards were freed up. Then try to tell me that Priests aren't strongly influencing the meta, underpowered though they are at the moment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]