Control Deck Starring Redemption

I see a lot of I'm stuck at rank X decks for control paladins so I thought I'd post this list since It sent me from rank 10 to rank 5 in about 20 games (thanks win streak bonus). And it's still grinding up from there as well though I've been hitting the variance wall due to the high number of Warlock nut draws.

The idea of the deck is based around Redemption, allowing me to return the last killed minion to the battle field with 1 health. Since the card is so cheap at 1 mana, you can setup amazing board positions where you basically have an unkillable minion that you're opponent will use a lot of resources trying to remove anyways.

Here's the deck list:

2 Redemption
2 Loot Hoarder
2 Equality
2 Wild Pyromancer
2 Aldor Peacekeeper
2 Harvest Golem
1 Wolfrider
2 Consecration
2 Hammer of Wrath
2 Truesilver Champion
2 Abomination
1 Sylvanas Windrunner
2 Ardent Commander
2 Avenging Wrath
1 Baron Geddon
1 Lay on Hands
1 Ragnaros
1 Tyrion Fordring

While this deck is utilizing redemption, it's important to note that the basic paladin control elements are still here. While they don't synergize with the secret, they are necessary to give the deck a good foundation. Wild Pyromancer/Equality and Peacekeeper give you the timeto setup a combo but be sure to have those creatures and any hero power tokens off the board before you try to go for a big pay out with redemption.

Anyways, playing this deck is like playing typical paladin control except you now have tools against the other big control decks while retaining game against aggro decks. All the deathrattle creatures get a second trigger if they die with redemption in play. This means more golem tokens or more cards, but the big payoffs are in the 5+ mana creatures. Sylvanas steals another creature, abomination wipes more creatures, etc. Baron Geddon and Rag are also great targets. They take a lot of resources to remove and often you're opponent will come up short leaving you with an 8/1 Rag, which is basically as good as an 8/8 Rag. The most common creature redeemed in this deck though is Ardent Commander. He comes in and kills creature. The opponent then kills/trades with the commander. With redemption, he comes back as an 4/1 with he's shield back up so it's basically a new commander. Advanced tip: if you have him die on your turn, you can utilize the charge again, so you can have it kill a creature, die, and then come back ready to attack a new target.

Usual tips apply: if you're against the beatdown decks, save removal for the creatures and stay alive as long as possible. Use redemption for value, using loot hoarder to kill a creature and have it redeemed on turn 2 is very strong. If your against control, be aggressive! Use TSC as pyroblast and deal lots of damage early. Your late game is strong but not the best around. This deck has a lot of reach to deal 10-12 points of damage out of nowhere when you need.

Hope you guys enjoy.
Reply Quote
Thanks for posting this, was having a look before I went to work. Got a few hours to burn so going to give this deck a spin, Can make it card for card except baron geddon which I replaced with Guardian of kings. and one Avenging wrath with Cairne Bloodhoof.
Reply Quote
played this deck for about 3 hours. I feel there is an real issue with the early game of this deck. Even though i run 2 cards differently to you, i chose them specificly because they have the same mana and wanted to mimic your mana curve. i must be super unlucky i always draw high cards even after i change them. and i feel i have no control over the early game and more often than not the combos arnt enough to get me back in the game.

had fun playing this though, back to the drawing board for me.
Reply Quote
The early game is rough with the deck. It's something I'm experiencing a lot that I'm halfway up rank 4 and 80% of the decks are warlock beat down. But when I'm losing, I lose just before the turn I would kill them so we need to survive just a bit longer. The best course of action maybe to take out baron geddon and add a guardian of kings and replace the loot hoarders with fairy dragons or earthen ring farseers. This would give you some more power in the early game and the loot hoarder combo is probably too cute for what we need which is to kill creatures. Another possibility is worgen infiltrator. Play a redemption and You can trade for 2 creatures pretty easily.

Also, Avenging Wrath is not replaceable. It's one of the most important cards in your mid game as it can sweep a ton of creatures or give the win just before the aggrieved deck can kill you.

Hope this helps and maybe you'll want to try again :)
Reply Quote
You can replace 1 avenging wrath 1 wolf rider for 2x scarlet crusader. That's help early game.
Also sun walker is as good as Abomination.
Edited by Rks on 1/2/2014 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Posting an update to my deck since the wipe. Currently at Rank 13 and have lost only 4 games so far, all of them too some flavor of ultra late game control (Druid, Paladin, Mage, and a Shaman).

2 Redemption
2 Worgen Infiltrator
2 Equality
2 Wild Pyromancer
2 Aldor Peacekeeper
2 Earthen Ring Farseer
1 Wolfrider
2 Consecration
2 Hammer of Wrath
2 Truesilver Champion
2 Abomination
1 Sylvanas Windrunner
2 Ardent Commander
2 Avenging Wrath
1 Baron Geddon
1 Lay on Hands
1 Ragnaros
1 Tyrion Fordring

From the OP, the changes are

-2 Loot Hoarder
-2 Harvest Golem

+2 Worgen Infiltrator
+2 Earthen Ring Farseer

While I liked the value you get from Redemption-ing a hoarder or golem, it just wasn't worth it. Not enough value against the slow decks and those cards didn't really help much again the fast decks. This change skews the deck heavily against the beatdown decks. The worgen comes down turn 1 and can kill almost anything the beatdown deck wants to throw at you buying you some time for your threats. Earthen Ring Farseer should be obvious for it's inclusion as well.

The bane of the deck though is the super control decks. The kind where you wonder how they can survive the beatdown decks since everything they play costs 5+ but i guess there isn't much i can do. I'd rather play this and be confident against 80% of decks and know i'm just going to lose against a few decks.

Happy grinding
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 11:46 PMPosted by Rks
You can replace 1 avenging wrath 1 wolf rider for 2x scarlet crusader. That's help early game.
Also sun walker is as good as Abomination.

Sunwalker is not as good as abomination. Abomination's AoE is why you play it, Sunwalker is only good against a few high value cards, not aggro decks (like murlocs)

You can try swapping them out, and you may see *similar* results, but their effects are drastically different and you'll see radical changes versus different decks with the same unit. Sunwalker performs better against equal value minions (like Yeti, etc) but Abomination is more suited for anti-rush decks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]