No Legendary Warlock Control

So I started messing around with a lock control deck that doesnt run any legendaries (cuz i dont have any worth using) and so far its been pretty solid. The current configuration does not do well against mages because it simply doesnt apply enough preasure early and they easily get you into pyroblast range. However, i have been having great success vs druid, pali, rogue, and other lock decks. I haven't had a game against a priest or warrior yet oddly enough.

2x Soulfire
1x Corrupt
2x Mortal Coil
2x Void Walker
2x Demon Fire
2x Novice Engineer
2x Drain Life
2x Shadow Bolt
2x Hellfire
2x Sen'jin Shieldmaster
1x Abomination (this card has actually be crazy good for me in the deck)
2x Azure Drake
2x Sunalker (Also been amazing)
2x Siphon Soul
2x Twisting Nether (I often switch out one of these as i test other random cards. There are times when I really want two of them and other times it feels like overkill. I also got 2 of these in 1 pack, one of them being golden, which is just odd)
2x Molten Giant

The deck has enough removal and sweepers to keep solid board control and make them over-commit their hand. I often find myself with over 6 cards in hand and the opponent at 0-1 and nothing on their board. It deals with large fatties easily and the most trouble I've had is when decks start using Face Manipulator to copy my giants.

Overall its been really fun playing it and I was able to create it without having to purchase any packs. Most of the stuff was gained from Arena rewards except for the giants which I crafted after disenchanting 2 useless legendaries that I didn't see myself ever using.

tl:dr - Fun deck without needing any legendaries to be effective. Won my first 10 games when I first made it.
Reply Quote
2x Twisting Nether is going to be pretty clunky in your hand. I used to run 2 when I was playing heavy removal and they just clogged my hand too much so I pulled one. I'd drop one for a 2nd Abomination, as you said it's really good in this type of deck and especially against the meta right now.

If you've got them Bane of Doom is also really strong with all the low hp minions running around.
Reply Quote
I agree I would recommend skipping one twisting nether, even the novice engineers, soulfires and azure drakes. I'm playing without any card draw minions and I still almost always have a full or almost full hand, soulfire is horrible because random discard is the worst possible thing in a control deck.

Have you tried 1x Shadowflame+2x Ancient Watcher+2x Defender of Argus?
You can set up pretty strong tants with argus and your watchers/molten giants and ancient watchers are also nice for clearing the board with shadowflame.

Everything else looks very solid and I can agree with double abomination, it's a great card.
Reply Quote
I think Soulfire is still worth it in Control. You need to mitigate the tempo of other decks, and while losing a card is bad, if you get too far behind on tempo you'll have other problems as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Also agree with double Abom in this, especially over double Twisting.
Reply Quote
With Jaraxxus it would be decent controll deck. Without him you will probably not have enought power kill control decks (paladins, shamans, druids, priests) in higher ranks (8+).
Reply Quote
Drop a nether for a sac pact, with all the rush warlocks running around its a godsend for 0 mana, also is good lategame when you drop jaraxxus and an infernal and a mage is trying to put you in pyro range
Reply Quote
The Rng effect of Soulfire is just to heavy in a control deck, the cards are supposed to synergies with each other, the discard is just ruining it.

If you wanna run corruption, i would recommend to replace a soulfire with frost elemental, but I dont like corruption anyway.

Novice Engineer isn't nessecary as Warlock, I would replace it with other good 2 drop's like pyromancer, Ooze or Faerie dragon.

12/27/2013 03:25 AMPosted by Brendanoz
Drop a nether for a sac pact, with all the rush warlocks running around its a godsend for 0 mana, also is good lategame when you drop jaraxxus and an infernal and a mage is trying to put you in pyro range

Sacrifice pact is pretty strong, but mostly always a dead card in the Hand, cause nearly never worth to sacrifice on of your own demons.
Pretty strong against other Warlocks, but run 1 card for just 1 class isn't that good.
Maybe Sacrifice pact is worth if the meta change to Imp Master or Illidan.

Also it's very risky to play Jaraxxus against Priest if you have Sacrifice pact in your deck
Reply Quote
The Rng effect of Soulfire is just to heavy in a control deck, the cards are supposed to synergies with each other, the discard is just ruining it.

If you wanna run corruption, i would recommend to replace a soulfire with frost elemental, but I dont like corruption anyway.

Novice Engineer isn't nessecary as Warlock, I would replace it with other good 2 drop's like pyromancer, Ooze or Faerie dragon.

Sacrifice pact is pretty strong, but mostly always a dead card in the Hand, cause nearly never worth to sacrifice on of your own demons.
Pretty strong against other Warlocks, but run 1 card for just 1 class isn't that good.
Maybe Sacrifice pact is worth if the meta change to Imp Master or Illidan.

Also it's very risky to play Jaraxxus against Priest if you have Sacrifice pact in your deck

If you make it to Jaraxxus and have control 0 cost for a free heal from a 2 mana play is very much worth it to stay out of execute range, otherwise very usefull against the MANY warlocks playing agro/or if you bump into another Warlock that plays Jaraxxus ;)
Edited by Brendanoz on 12/28/2013 12:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/28/2013 12:56 AMPosted by Brendanoz
If you make it to Jaraxxus and have control 0 cost for a free heal from a 2 mana play is very much worth it to stay out of execute range, otherwise very usefull against the MANY warlocks playing agro/or if you bump into another Warlock that plays Jaraxxus ;)

Dear.... I...

Sacrificial Pact is either a terrible card, or a completely overpowered card, depending on the situation. If you can survive to Jaraxxus and another turn or two, sure, it can be okay sometimes to sacrifice your 6/6 minion for 5 health. However, this isn't a situation you should include the card for in and of itself, and there are other life-gain options with greater flexibility. Aside from that, the thread is about "no-Legendary" so it's not like Jaraxxus is a planned inclusion even if they have it. It can also utterly annihilate you if playing against Priests.

It can become overpowered against other Warlocks... which is why it's terrible to have it against Priests. 0 Mana for removal and 5 health is far too strong, and it's completely binary in it's effect. If you're up against Warlock, great! If not, it's useless. The thing is, even against Warlock Aggro, while it's overpowered in terms of efficiency, you're mostly just removing a Flame Imp or a Voidwalker, and that won't always come up either even if you had 100% games against them. Other Warlock Control decks are more likely to have more and higher priority Demons, but they aren't as common, as as the original decklist posted shows, there's a fair amount of variety in demon count.

All told, the card is simply too situational. Certainly, if you want an anti-Warlock Warlock Control, and don't care about doing well against anything else... by all means go for it. But if you want to advance Rank, use something else.

EDIT: Honestly, I think the card should be removed or otherwise completely redesigned, and it's use certainly shouldn't be encouraged as an earnest suggestion for anything but a theme/funzies deck.
Edited by Tsenzei on 12/28/2013 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Dear.... I...

Sacrificial Pact is either a terrible card, or a completely overpowered card, depending on the situation. If you can survive to Jaraxxus and another turn or two, sure, it can be okay sometimes to sacrifice your 6/6 minion for 5 health. However, this isn't a situation you should include the card for in and of itself, and there are other life-gain options with greater flexibility. Aside from that, the thread is about "no-Legendary" so it's not like Jaraxxus is a planned inclusion even if they have it. It can also utterly annihilate you if playing against Priests.

It can become overpowered against other Warlocks... which is why it's terrible to have it against Priests. 0 Mana for removal and 5 health is far too strong, and it's completely binary in it's effect. If you're up against Warlock, great! If not, it's useless. The thing is, even against Warlock Aggro, while it's overpowered in terms of efficiency, you're mostly just removing a Flame Imp or a Voidwalker, and that won't always come up either even if you had 100% games against them. Other Warlock Control decks are more likely to have more and higher priority Demons, but they aren't as common, as as the original decklist posted shows, there's a fair amount of variety in demon count.

All told, the card is simply too situational. Certainly, if you want an anti-Warlock Warlock Control, and don't care about doing well against anything else... by all means go for it. But if you want to advance Rank, use something else.

EDIT: Honestly, I think the card should be removed or otherwise completely redesigned, and it's use certainly shouldn't be encouraged as an earnest suggestion for anything but a theme/funzies deck.

I have had alot of success using it so each to his own i guess, for example played a warlock tonight which had a doomguard, that was an easy kill and heal, also played a lategame druid which for some reason used imp master the turn before he would have had lethal on me with swipes, saved my !@# and i ended up winning the game, also to the priest scenario, actually played a priest that used mindgames and got my 1 void i still had in the deck, free heal, its 1 card, i have found many uses for it and again there are MANY warlock in the ladder atm so it helps a ton.... until the meta changes and we see less agro locks ill stick to it thanks :)
Edited by Brendanoz on 12/29/2013 4:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have had alot of success using it so each to his own i guess.

Indeed, I personally hate the card for many reasons, but if you're having fun with it, by all means use it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]