Pyroblast the noob spell

12/29/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Gohanitos
u seem upset bro. umad?

Im not mad. Just tired to get hit by the spell is killin me all the time. Just tired!!!

And dont say my decks are bad. You havent seen them!!
Edited by RoRu on 12/30/2013 1:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
I agree there is a lot wrong with the pyroblast spell, but only in terms you can't counter it.

I just finished another '!@#$ YOU MAGE!' game. I healed EVERY turn, got him down to 2 health while controlling the board as best i could then he still one turn kills me from 16 health to zero via a hit with a 1/2, 2/1, frostbolt, pyro. I played the whole game knowing he was waiting for a pyro.

I had ragnoros on the board for 3 turns before he could finally deal with it (it made him burn a fireball which i know pissed him off, cause now he had to wait turns)

He took me down to 11 during the match then i healed back up to 22, then back to 16 then dead. He had no cards left to draw, played nothing on the board except the typical no skill mage deck cards that draw more cards... He spent the whole match top decking waiting for a pyro...

Why don't other classes get secrets that make me inviniciballs to every attack that turn? Block 8 direct damage for me while i get 2 direct ragnaros + 2 which i can choose who it hits, all while tossing out the occassional frostbolt or ice lance here and there, staring at the screen shouting "Pew, Pew, Pew - I am lord of the Hearstone!"

FYI - this is a part troll post - BUT there should be something to let people counter 10 damage that bypasses taunts. Having to spend 2 mana every turn just to keep trying to top off health/armor severely limits board control imo meaning the mage wins either by you failing to control board and healing or not healing and controlling the board. Because board control means jack against a mage, they just control all minions even if you do play aggressive
Reply Quote
2Lightridge
You know what? Pyro should cost 11 mana. So that mage had to have this gnome chick on the table or use !@#$ coin. You made UtH useless? Now do the same with pyro please.
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 02:30 PMPosted by Lightridge
there should be something to let people counter 10 damage that bypasses taunts.
Despite what you claim - being aggressive and controlling the board IS the way to win vs a mage. They're far from unbeatable - you just either have a bad deck setup, or you're focusing on the wrong thing during the game. If you have board control, you could EASILY hit your opponent for over 10 in a single turn. Hell, if you're a priest/paladin/warrior/shamen, you can buff minions and OTK a mage - or at least take a LOT of their HP away.

Myself, I often use Pyro and Fireball to clear big minions and kill the hero with minions. The only time I'll use Pyro against the enemy hero is if I'm not being threatened by minions, OR they have 10 or less HP. If you were hit for 16 in a single turn, you must have left at least 1 +spellpower minion on the mage's side, so basically you were outplayed. Deal with it.
Edited by Scerion on 12/31/2013 12:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/31/2013 12:36 PMPosted by Scerion
If you were hit for 16 in a single turn, you must have left at least 1 +spellpower minion on the mage's side, so basically you were outplayed.

2 Thalnos
2 Apprentice
1 Forstbolt - 4 dmg
1 Frostbolt - 4 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
3 Fireball - 7 dmg

Total dmg: 25 dmg in single turn out of nowhere. Just saying =).
That, however, is a dream scenario.

Something more common is simply:
2 Thalnos
2 Forstbolt - 4 dmg
1 Ice lance - 5 dmg
1 Ice lance - 5 dmg

That is potentially 14 damage for 4 mana... On turn 8 can be combined with Fireball for 21 dmg.

Pyro is not the biggest source of damage for mage, it is simply the easiest to carry out as it requires only 1 card.

Understandably you don't usually see this in lower ranks as people are not always patient enough to keep all the cards they need for future combos (and their decks lack tempo to allow that too), but mages in higher ranks can put you down in 2 turns without too much hassle. Alex puts you to 15 hp, double pyro is 20 dmg which can be used for removal of big stuff (ie. vs Druid control) etc...

To be honest the only reason I play mage at the moment is because it really is quite broken. Vs all classes/players who don't have heals you simply autowin if you carry it to lategame (assuming you put some damage early on).
Edited by emihir0 on 1/1/2014 2:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/01/2014 02:41 AMPosted by emihir0
If you were hit for 16 in a single turn, you must have left at least 1 +spellpower minion on the mage's side, so basically you were outplayed.

2 Thalnos
2 Apprentice
1 Forstbolt - 4 dmg
1 Frostbolt - 4 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
3 Fireball - 7 dmg

Some of the Sorc. Apprentice / Ice Lance combos are RIDICULOUSLY strong. However, they're also very gimicky. If the mage draws into the right cards fast, it's a very hard combo to fight off (though healing and rushes can sometimes still either out-heal or out-pace it). There's a few major downsides to it though:

1) It requires drawing a very specific set of cards. To be dangerous, what they really need is both of their Ice Lances + a spell power minion (usually Thalanos) + 1 Frostbolt + Sorc Apprentice. Obviously this is possible, especially with cycling, but this is a lot of cards they need to have all at once and relatively early in the game.

2) It doesn't allow mages to use Frostbolt defensively. Frostbolt is one of the mage's primary early-game defensive abilities; playing an Ice Lance deck basically forces them to save them for the hero, which makes early game aggression far harder for them to fight off.

3) Ice Lance in particular is essentially worthless unless combo'd, which makes it basically a dead card in the mage's hand until they're ready to use it.

Mind when I say this, it's not like I've never seen these Ice Lance combos work. I've lost games to them. But that being said, my experience is that they fail more often than they succeed. It's kind of like the Divine Spirit / Inner Fire combo for Priests. It obviously can work, will work frequently, and is devastating when it does work. However, it fails more often than it succeeds (well, assuming you play against it correctly that is), and when it does fail, the cards used in it are almost worthless.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 02:52 AMPosted by Sar

2 Thalnos
2 Apprentice
1 Forstbolt - 4 dmg
1 Frostbolt - 4 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
3 Fireball - 7 dmg

Some of the Sorc. Apprentice / Ice Lance combos are RIDICULOUSLY strong. However, they're also very gimicky. If the mage draws into the right cards fast, it's a very hard combo to fight off (though healing and rushes can sometimes still either out-heal or out-pace it). There's a few major downsides to it though:

1) It requires drawing a very specific set of cards. To be dangerous, what they really need is both of their Ice Lances + a spell power minion (usually Thalanos) + 1 Frostbolt + Sorc Apprentice. Obviously this is possible, especially with cycling, but this is a lot of cards they need to have all at once and relatively early in the game.

2) It doesn't allow mages to use Frostbolt defensively. Frostbolt is one of the mage's primary early-game defensive abilities; playing an Ice Lance deck basically forces them to save them for the hero, which makes early game aggression far harder for them to fight off.

3) Ice Lance in particular is essentially worthless unless combo'd, which makes it basically a dead card in the mage's hand until they're ready to use it.

Mind when I say this, it's not like I've never seen these Ice Lance combos work. I've lost games to them. But that being said, my experience is that they fail more often than they succeed. It's kind of like the Divine Spirit / Inner Fire combo for Priests. It obviously can work, will work frequently, and is devastating when it does work. However, it fails more often than it succeeds (well, assuming you play against it correctly that is), and when it does fail, the cards used in it are almost worthless.

For God's sake stop repeating that "counter to direct damage is healing". This is your every second post in mage forums and is utter bullocks. I've beaten druids who used 2x healing touch, 2x AoL and 1x Alex to try and keep themselves alive. Do you even realise that healing loses you tempo? A mage uses Mountain Giant vs you on turn 4/5 (depending whether he went first or second) and what do you do if you can't remove it? Use Healing touch/Holy light next turn to "counter it"? Sounds legit. Pyro is a finisher, in high ranks you don't use Pyro unless you are sure he has no way out of it or there is already no other option (ie. aggro deck).

Healing is a counter to rank 10 mage maybe, but not one which puts you down by turn 8 (ie aggro mage) or Giant deck mage who has 4 giants, 2 Pyros, 1 Alex and probably Archmage too as he is ridiculous vs control decks once they run out of removals.

It really does baffle me that you are a MVP when you obviously lack enough experience and keep saying same thing over and over again.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

Do you even realise that healing loses you tempo?

Healing is on a curve where healing spells are twice as strong for the same mana cost as damaging spells, so if healing costs you tempo (which it does), then direct damage super costs you tempo.

Seriously, what's the bigger tempo loss; the 8-mana Pyroblast or the 3-mana Healing Touch?

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

01/01/2014 03:07 AMPosted by emihir0
A mage uses Mountain Giant vs you on turn 4/5 (depending whether he went first or second) and what do you do if you can't remove it? Use Healing touch/Holy light next turn to "counter it"? Sounds legit.

I said healing is a counter to direct damage, not to minion damage. So why would you ever use some stupid example like saying that healing doesn't counter a giant? That would be like complaining that Acidic Swamp Ooze is a bad counter to weapons because it doesn't destroy Sylvanas.
Edited by Sar on 1/1/2014 4:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
If he thinks that sucks, he'd hate how I've one a few games. 2x geomancers + Malygos = 17 damage Pyroblast win.
Edited by Mael on 1/1/2014 6:58 AM PST
Reply Quote

Do you even realise that healing loses you tempo?

Healing is on a curve where healing spells are twice as strong for the same mana cost as damaging spells, so if healing costs you tempo (which it does), then direct damage super costs you tempo.

Seriously, what's the bigger tempo loss; the 8-mana Pyroblast or the 3-mana Healing Touch?

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

01/01/2014 03:07 AMPosted by emihir0
A mage uses Mountain Giant vs you on turn 4/5 (depending whether he went first or second) and what do you do if you can't remove it? Use Healing touch/Holy light next turn to "counter it"? Sounds legit.

I said healing is a counter to direct damage, not to minion damage. So why would you ever use some stupid example like saying that healing doesn't counter a giant? That would be like complaining that Acidic Swamp Ooze is a bad counter to weapons because it doesn't destroy Sylvanas.

Well first of all a healing deck is one type of play. Do you really expect this game to have only one type of play because as you claim in EVERY THREAD people should just make healing deck. And this is only because all you mage players don't want to admit the truth. Mage is broken.

Second, a healing decks is a catch up deck. I don't want to play from behind and just catch up till my enemy is out of op spells.

Thirdly, EVEN IF IT WORKS, a healing deck still does not make the game fun where you have 7 minions on the board, FROZEN, and on your turn you can't play anything because there is no room for a minion and you just click End turn to take a pyro to the face with a "Well played" taunt from the good old mage player.

Fortly, only against a mage you are considered a noob if you drop bellow 10 health and you need to "rework you deck to outplay the mage" (stupid advice from this thread) . Since when I need to outplay someone to beat him? Since when I need to consider to have only 20 life instead of 30 in a game? Can't we go toe to toe till the end? Those are the good games not the ones where I have 11 life and I know it's gg because I did not heal like a good kid.

Fifhtly, to these 3 or 4 mages ALWAYS replying to poor kids hating against mage and coming here to complain because they think something is wrong, don't you think there might actually be a problem with mage since so many people complain? Or do you really think you are really that smart and everyone is that stupid and we need Sar's bible thread to enlighten us up?
Edited by CeaRshaf on 1/1/2014 8:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/01/2014 08:39 AMPosted by CeaRshaf

Well first of all a healing deck is one type of play. Do you really expect this game to have only one type of play because as you claim in EVERY THREAD people should just make healing deck. And this is only because all you mage players don't want to admit the truth. Mage is broken.

No, I'm saying that people constantly say "direct damage has no counter", and that's factually untrue; healing is an extremely effective counter to direct damage. Beyond that, there's plenty of non-healing decks that consistently beat mage. The only class I know of that doesn't have a consistent anti-mage variant is Shaman.

Second, a healing decks is a catch up deck. I don't want to play from behind and just catch up till my enemy is out of op spells.

Also not true. If the enemy Pyroblasts for 8 mana and I Healing Touch for 3 mana, I've neither lost tempo nor card advantage.

Thirdly, EVEN IF IT WORKS, a healing deck still does not make the game fun where you have 7 minions on the board, FROZEN, and on your turn you can't play anything because there is no room for a minion and you just click End turn to take a pyro to the face with a "Well played" taunt from the good old mage player.

Then don't fill your board with 7 minions. There's absolutely no reason to ever fill your board to a full 7 minions, especially against a class that you know can freeze you. It's no different than filling your board with 7 2-health minions then complaining that Paladin is overpowered because they can Concecrate you. You know they have it, don't do a move that blindly walks into it.

Fortly, only against a mage you are considered a noob if you drop bellow 10 health and you need to "rework you deck to outplay the mage" (stupid advice from this thread) . Since when I need to outplay someone to beat him? Since when I need to consider to have only 20 life instead of 30 in a game? Can't we go toe to toe till the end? Those are the good games not the ones where I have 11 life and I know it's gg because I did not heal like a good kid.

Most classes can do more than 10 damage in a turn; this is by no means unique to mage. For example, have you never seen Leeroy Jenkins + Shadowstep? Or Eviserate + Sinister Strike combos? Or the Warrior Raging Worgen combos? 10 health is actually LOW compared to what many decks can do a single turn.

Fifhtly, to these 3 or 4 mages ALWAYS replying to poor kids hating against mage and coming here to complain because they think something is wrong, don't you think there might actually be a problem with mage since so many people complain? Or you you really think you are really that smart and everyone is that stupid and we need Sar's bible thread to enlighten us up?

No, because I see the same complaints about every class. And yes, clearly I am that smart. It's like watching a child tell an adult that it's impossible to clean their room because of some odd excuse (like they can't close their door all the way). People are beating mages consistently. The info is out there on how to do that. If the child refuses to do it, it's the child's fault.
Reply Quote
I think Pyroblast is op, and it should cost 10 crystals. ive lost to ice lancex2 + pyroblast alot. annoying!
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/01/2014 10:05 AMPosted by Po11y
I think Pyroblast is op, and it should cost 10 crystals. ive lost to ice lancex2 + pyroblast alot. annoying!

Read this.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10973087435
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Gohanitos
u seem upset bro. umad?

im sure you sat at your keyboard wanting to type something real special to burn him but just didnt quite get there...
Reply Quote
Pyroblast is a nasty, nasty card.... but there's a lot of that going around. It's not the standout win card it's being made out to be....but it does suck that there's no way to deflect it for all but mage classes.

I would really like to see them add in some minions that misdirect spells to them.

I agree it would be nice if it was 10 mana, like mind control.
Reply Quote
Pyroblast isn't OP, Ice block is.
Reply Quote

?

So you spam minions against AOE class and still want to autowin. WTF tactic ?.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 08:52 AMPosted by CeaRshaf
Ok, so you are indeed seeing youself like a GOD and that thread of yours is a BIBLE.

Thanks for admitting.

Edit: And I am not even going to try and correct your stupid statements in the previous post because you are too ignorant to see anything except for what you preach. Maybe one day I will see the light, though.

Trolling reported (again)
Reply Quote

2 Thalnos
2 Apprentice
1 Forstbolt - 4 dmg
1 Frostbolt - 4 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
0 Ice lance - 5 dmg
3 Fireball - 7 dmg

That, however, is a dream scenario.

Something more common is simply:
2 Thalnos
2 Forstbolt - 4 dmg
1 Ice lance - 5 dmg
1 Ice lance - 5 dmg

That is potentially 14 damage for 4 mana... On turn 8 can be combined with Fireball for 21 dmg.

Pyro is not the biggest source of damage for mage, it is simply the easiest to carry out as it requires only 1 card.

So what? A priest can make a 28/28 minion, and a pally can make a 30/2 minion in a single turn. A warrior can OTK far just as frequently as a mage will get that exact combo. Go and moan on their class forums if you want to cry about something.

Stream yourself playing your mage at high level so we can all see how you win all the time if it's so "broken". No? Didn't think so...
Edited by Scerion on 1/2/2014 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]