Mage OP?

(Locked)

I was wondering everyone else's opinion on the mage class as i believe its too overpowered. Pyroblast is extremely strong, especially for 8 mana. If a mage has 2 in their hand that's 20 HP in 2 turns and your out. Also their hero ability is by far the strongest one as it can not only destroy minions but activate enrages for its own cards, extremely annoying. The last thing is they have such powerful remove cards with Flamestrike, Pyroblast, Polymorph, fireball and all the freezing spells. I am a pretty new player to hearthstone however i feel that i have got used to it quickly and usually get 6 - 3 in arena (don't know how good this is) however whenever i come up against a mage i do feel as though i have already lost unless they are an exceptionally bad player. I was creating this for a discussion or if anyone has any tips for me?
MVP - Hearthstone
Read this, it will help you.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10973087435
I had a look but considering i am more of an arena player its hard to build a deck to these requirements which is what it seems you need to do to beat mages
MVP - Hearthstone
Mages are fairly strong in Arena and could probably do with a nerf in it. That being said, it's hard to nerf them in Arena without nerfing them in constructed, and constructed seems to be the focus of play. The problem is that some of their cards which are awesome in Arena (like Flamestrike) are ok but not really all that great in constructed.

What I'd say is that I've managed to go to at least 9 wins with every class in Arena, so every class is definitely viable. I would also say that the strongest decks I've seen are not mage. However, mage seems to most consistently get a good deck. This is largely because they have multiple versions of some of the core card types (aoe, removal, etc.). Compare this to a class like Priest where Holy Nova is their only aoe, so it's statistically much more likely that you get one or less of these. As a result, there are other classes where when they roll the right cards (not even talking about the rarer cards), their decks are stronger than mage, but it's less common for them to roll a well-balanced deck.
01/01/2014 02:51 PMPosted by Sar
Mages are fairly strong in Arena and could probably do with a nerf in it. That being said, it's hard to nerf them in Arena without nerfing them in constructed, and constructed seems to be the focus of play. The problem is that some of their cards which are awesome in Arena (like Flamestrike) are ok but not really all that great in constructed.

What I'd say is that I've managed to go to at least 9 wins with every class in Arena, so every class is definitely viable. I would also say that the strongest decks I've seen are not mage. However, mage seems to most consistently get a good deck. This is largely because they have multiple versions of some of the core card types (aoe, removal, etc.). Compare this to a class like Priest where Holy Nova is their only aoe, so it's statistically much more likely that you get one or less of these. As a result, there are other classes where when they roll the right cards (not even talking about the rarer cards), their decks are stronger than mage, but it's less common for them to roll a well-balanced deck.

I always choose priest if I can in arena, heal has to be the best hero skill for arena as at the end of the day most arena duels end up being neutrals vs neutrals, priest can usually maintain more of their minions alive and have a lot of draw options available. Mages rely too much on getting the class specific cards which with my crap luck, never happens.
Trump just played arena deck with 2 Pyro, 2 Flamestrikes, Fireballs, Blizzard, Frostbolts, Poly and ended up 6-3. Get good or cry.
I've played mage about 4 or 5 times in arena and i have got flamestrike and polymorph in them all, also with extra control spells with cone of cold etc, however with other classes i only seem to get one good type of control/removal but that may be because there is less in other classes. Maybe its just my luck haha. Maybe next time i will build my deck more towards dealing with mage in the arena and see how it goes, it is luck of the draw after all. Thank you for the reply !
Edited by Huwberticus on 1/1/2014 3:07 PM PST
01/01/2014 03:01 PMPosted by Hate
Trump just played arena deck with 2 Pyro, 2 Flamestrikes, Fireballs, Blizzard, Frostbolts, Poly and ended up 6-3. Get good or cry.

Thanks for this reply when im just asking for advice, really helps :)... (notice the sarcasm)
Coming back to this thread nearly a month after i posted it i would like to say that mages are the most overpowered class in the game and pyroblast should be removed from the game, END OF.
01/22/2014 07:17 PMPosted by Huwberticus
Coming back to this thread nearly a month after i posted it i would like to say that mages are the most overpowered class in the game and pyroblast should be removed from the game, END OF.

Considering there are no mage in any tournament at the moment and that I have yet to play a single mage in my last 50 ranked game (i'm rank 2), I think you should just learn to play.
And how about all the "copy cards" from the priest that cost very little mana? With the right draw, a priest can pretty much play the opponents game. I would double the mana cost of those cards :P
The Mage is definitely massively OVERPOWERED. I play ranked and even when I'm playing all my cards perfectly and have a 20 health remaining Hunter versus a 6 health remaining Mage, they can still nuke me in two easy turns without me being able to do ANYTHING about it. There is absolutely no way for me to counter their Fireball or their Pyroblast.

You people can't possibly argue that the ability to kill someone almost instantly isn't overpowered. Killing a minion is one thing, every class has the ability to nuke minions on some level. But I'm talking about ending the game with cheap UNBLOCKABLE attacks. The key word here being UNBLOCKABLE, as in that it cannot be countered and that is why the Mage is so overpowered. Fireball does 6 damage to any target and only costs 4 mana, that is completely absurd.

So a Mage can deal 12 unblocklable damage to their opponent in ONE TURN by their 8th mana crystal with two Fireblast spells. Not even my highest damage Hunter card which is an 8/8 minion with Charge ability and costs 1600 mana to buy and 9 mana summon can do the amount of damage that a Mage in one turn. And often enough, a player can have a Taunt minion out by the time I even have enough mana to summon my 8/8 charge minion, which means that my attack is completely BLOCKABLE unlike the Mage who with 10 mana crystals is dealing a minimum of 13 damage (2 Fireblasts plus their Hero Spell)

And you know what else? On more than one occassion I've had a Mage use their cheap secret spell that to COPY my 8/8 minion. Now how about you naysayers factor that into their nuke damage ability? In one of my matches, I literally had an 18 health remaining Hunter and the Mage I was fighting had 2 only health. All I needed to do was one more arrow shot or finish her off with my next 8/8 minion attack. But guess what, during my previous turn their secret spell copied my 8/8 minion. Even with all the health I still had I died instantly because the Mage did 8 damage using the copied minion and then 10 damage with their Pyroblast. Let me spell that out for you, we're talking about 18 DAMAGE in one turn when they only had 2 life left and no other minions on the battlefield except for that copied minion. That scenario is practically the definition of what it means to be play the overpowered Mage.

Why should the Mage be able to produce that kind of a threat when they have so much utility as it is. Don't even get me started on Pyroblast, which nukes for 10 UNBLOCKABLE damage. And none of what I said even includes the multitude of extra spell damage cards they can use which adds to their opportunity to nuke other champions in one or two turns even when they have made a dozen bad decisions in the match.

Some of you might argue, "Well you can silence spell damage cards." Just like the arguement about silencing Divine Shield, which gets abused by the Paladin. You don't know what you're talking about if you think silencing is viable. As a level 35 Hunter that has spent over $60 on this game, I currently only have access to TWO low health silence cards and they are both in the neutral deck because the Hunter has ZERO silence abilities from what I've seen. The silence cards aren't even worth having since they are so weak and my deck doesn't have room since it needs at least 2 cards to do the same kind of damage that a Mage can do with just one card.

Anyway, the only thing a Mage even has to do is survive until they get their opponent down to 20 health, which anyone can do pretty easily. Heck, the Mage even has a secret spell that gives them 8 freaking ARMOR and only cost them 3 MANA! So they not only have massive damage, but they essentially have the option of getting 8 extra health during the match. Not to mention another 3 cost secret spell that guarantees their survival because it makes them completely immune for the remainder of the turn if they take fatal damage.

If people can't see that these things make them vastly overpowered compared to the other heroes, then they are probably the same noobs that use and abuse the Mage's abilities for easy wins. The Mage definitely needs to be NERFED big time and the Priest should be next on the chopping block with their ridiculously low cost health boost spamming cards that make both their Hero and their minions almost unkillable by late game. Can't even attack a Priest half the time because I'm too busy fending off his early game 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 minions. If I'm lucky, I'll survive until I've reached my last card and then die slowly each around because I've exhausted my deck.

Don't get me wrong though, many of the matches I play are very well balanced, the problem is with Mages and Priests. It is plainly obvious to see that the Mage and Priest have too much offensive and defensive abilities. That's why they are the two most played classes in ranked, for players that are attracted to classes that don't require much skill and just want to win lopsided matches.

Oh and to the guy that says he doesn't see Mages in ranked level 2, well of course you're not going to see them much in matches with higher skilled players. It's always been the case that lower skilled players are the ones that abuse overpowered characters while higher skilled players tend to choose classes that make them feel more accomplished and worthy of victory. It's the same reason why I don't bother playing Mages or Priests and why I don't invest my money in their easy-win abilities when I'm perfectly capable of doing so. The first 6 ranks you see nothing but Mages and a few Priests, and as you progress you see players that dare to use other classes. I'm currently at a point where I mostly see a lot of Priests and Paladins, but I'm progressing through the ranks rapidly and hope to see better players that don't rely so much on overpowered Priest abilities that copy cards, massively boost minion health/damage, and take control of minions while still having enough mana leftover to restore their own health.
Edited by Hellmage on 1/30/2014 1:22 PM PST
Hellmage if your post had been to whine about iceblock being overpowered rather then the mage class as a whole..... you know what you would of been right. But to say that they mage class is "easy win" when in fact the latest nerfs have made them unplayable in professional tournaments and then rarely seen at high level ranks is a complete fallacy.

01/30/2014 12:33 PMPosted by Hellmage
h and to the guy that says he doesn't see Mages in ranked level 2, well of course you're not going to see them much in matches with higher skilled players. It's always been the case that lower skilled players are the ones that abuse overpowered characters while higher skilled players tend to choose classes that make them feel more accomplished and worthy of victory.

So no one plays mage at high level because its so "easy" to do so.... once again another fallacy. Mage was in high use before the nerfs and after the nerfs they disappeared. What does that tell you?

I also find it interesting that you whine about priest also.... but not about druids which are top tier in constructed. If i had to guess your a low ranking player who runs into mages alot because mages are the class that everyone is introduced to when they first start hearthstone and as such you end up playing them alot more often.

I believe the reason you find mage and priest overpowered is because the starting cards for mages and priests when you level are incredibly strong and due to your limited card pool you find it difficult. Thats not a balance problem, thats just an issue with your lack of cards.
Oh and to the guy that says he doesn't see Mages in ranked level 2, well of course you're not going to see them much in matches with higher skilled players. It's always been the case that lower skilled players are the ones that abuse overpowered characters while higher skilled players tend to choose classes that make them feel more accomplished and worthy of victory.

What did I just read?!?! This has been true never in any competitive online game ever! People always tend of go to the class of the path of least resistance. Right now druids are by far the most popular class because they are the most complete class with the given toolkit. If you go to Hearthstats there are 4x more druids than mages right now in constructed, are you seriously trying to present the case that people are playing druids more than any other class just because they want to prove themselves playing the weakest class?

I know I am going to get reported for this comment alone but I have to ask what are you smoking because that must be some really good stuff to even think about saying what you said.
Edited by Akris on 1/30/2014 2:22 PM PST
Also you're playing a hunter that while strong in arena is pretty weak overall in constructed. If you don't have access to a decent card pool you are going to have a tough time with anyone who can deal with your early game beast spam
01/30/2014 01:06 PMPosted by Kainaq
Hellmage if your post had been to whine about iceblock being overpowered rather then the mage class as a whole

Kainaq did you even read my post? You're not even worth responding to if you're going to act like iceblock is my major issue with the Mage class. I wrote TEN paragraphs explaining how the Mage class is overpowered and the first thing you do is decide to hone in on one very small comment referencing the iceblock, as if I care that much about it. You make absolutely no argument to disprove my reasoning for believing that the Mage is overpowered, because you have nothing to counterpoint what I've said about the low cost 6 damage Fireball and the 10 damage Pyroblast. All you're really doing is resulting to childish criticism, which means that you're clearly just a troll who wants to start a flame war. Sorry bud, but I don't feed trolls so you have good day to you sir.

01/30/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Akris
This has been true never in any competitive online game ever! People always tend of go to the class of the path of least resistance

Akris, yet another individual making outlandish statements. The fact that you're saying "never", "ever", and "always" doesn't make your opinion a fact. Honestly, you've already destroyed your own credibility simply by speaking in such absurd absolutes with no empirical data to back up your argument. In other words, you're just a terrible liar. I'm not even going to read the rest of your reply for the simple fact that you're apparently too ignorant to realize that "never", "ever", and "always" are words that you really shouldn't fling around so carelessly.

01/30/2014 02:24 PMPosted by Elroydb
Also you're playing a hunter that while strong in arena is pretty weak overall in constructed. If you don't have access to a decent card pool you are going to have a tough time with anyone who can deal with your early game beast spam

Elroydb, first of all the classes are supposed to be balanced. That's what this whole topic is about. So if you believe that Hunters are pretty weak in constructed compared to other classes then you're only proving my point that either certain classes need more nerfs or certain classes need more buffs in order to remain competitive.

But for the record, I do very well with my constructed deck and I win approximately 80% of my matches in ranked, so your point is invalid. Did I not say that I spent over $60s on this game? So yes, I have a very decent card pool and I play it extremely well which is why I went 18-0 during my first eighteen matches in ranked play before I even lost a single match. The difference between where I am in ranked now versus the ranks that I surpassed is that players have gotten better at using their low-skill and very cheap abilities of the Mage.

The only time that I really have difficulty is when I'm against a Mage for the simple fact that they can cast a minimum of 22 points of UNBLOCKABLE damage directly to my Champion with only 3 cards, which will frequently happen at some point in the match. The only option I really have is to kill the Mage before they can get me down 12 health, which is very difficult if they use an 8 armor spell. If they played smart, they will have saved their Fireblasts and it would just be a matter of time before I get nuked even if their health is 2 and my health 12. Or they can nuke me with a Pyroblast and finish me off with a minion that they have out. Either way, they have guaranteed HIGH levels of damage against other champions with essentially no counter for it, and that's a major problem. Considering that champions only have a maximum of 30 health, my argument is primarily that it's overpowered for a Mage to be able to do that kind of damage without ANY way to counter it.

For anyone else that chooses to reply to me, unless you're responding to my specific points about why I believe the Mage still needs a nerf , I'm just going to write you off as a troll and ignore your comment. Out of the 3 replies, not even one of you has made any legitimate argument that disproves why 22 points of UNBLOCKABLE cast damage is overpowered. The Priest and the Paladin are like the only two classes that even have a remote chance to survive that kind of damage because of their heals. The Warrior might be able to survive if he plays his +5 armor cards (Shield Block), but that additional armor card is pathetic compared to the fact that the Mage can give herself 8 armor with a secret card for the same cheap cost as the Warrior's Shield Block. If anything that +8 armor card belongs in the Warrior's deck, not the overpowered Mage's deck.
Edited by Hellmage on 1/30/2014 5:05 PM PST
The sole reason ppl prefer druid at higher levels is cause druid is by FAR the best, if not the ONLY really good class vs mage, yes the mage took a minor nerf, yes the druid is strong as hell overall, but the fact remains that the only reason they didnt stick with mage is cause druid are able to counter them in a way no other class can dream of even geting close to, Mage beat all exept druids with minimal effort and skill, therefore druids are now the better pick.

There are some serious balance issues in this game and a !@#$ton of bugs, like when ur able to see what card ur enemy pulled and what card got destroyed. Not to mention earlier tonight when i lost about 350 gold (most expensive book of cards ever) on a freaking bug with finishing a quest and reciving arena gold at the same time.

Whit that said, beta is beta... even with how Blizz handle their games since joining with Activision we should still have hope the game get some good balance going soon
01/30/2014 05:58 PMPosted by Thobbe
The sole reason ppl prefer druid at higher levels is cause druid is by FAR the best,

I agree that Druids are powerful, but I certainly don't believe they are the best. I rarely lose to Druid players unless they are playing exceptionally well. MTG and Quarrior veterans like myself have an advantage in this game because of years of competitive card playing experience. And that's also one of the reasons why I can see just how OP the Mages are compared to other classes.

Anyway, the nice thing about the Druids is that many of their cards have options when you play them, (health + taunt or attack, etc). But ultimately, winning with a Druid still requires some level of skill and good decision making to make those options useful, unlike the Mage who is focused on simply nuking their opponent with unblockable spells. Druids have a good mix of attack damage and spell damage, but their attack damage can at least be countered or prevented if you play correctly and therefore they are still less powerful then the Mage, who can deal massive damage directly to your Hero regardless of how you play..
Edited by Hellmage on 1/30/2014 6:36 PM PST
Why did a post that was talking about mages BEFORE all the nerfs get bumped? This is no longer relevant.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]