Mage OP?

(Locked)

Haha! no you misunderstand completely

All I'm saying is that Mages should be on same playing levels of other heroes through low and high ranks. It is simple as that friend.
02/22/2014 06:40 PMPosted by LordYuber
Haha! no you misunderstand completely

All I'm saying is that Mages should be on same playing levels of other heroes through low and high ranks. It is simple as that friend.

But that's not what you said.

You said:

So what if Mages dont see tournaments or high ranks, what about us players who are in low ranks?

This part of your post implies you don't actually care about the balance of mages at the high end, only that you are having difficulty with them in the low end.

Consider this, Mages are prolific at low ranks because they are the starter class. Not because they are especially powerful. On a very basic level they are effective (not the same as overpowered) for the beginner game because the cards are simpler. As more complex cards are added to a player's collection, more complex strategies evolve and the simplistic play of the mage falls behind.

You can't balance mages without buffing them considering their current state and no balance change will be enough for you to consider them balanced if it doesn't nerf them into ineffectiveness which just isn't going to happen at this point. I get that you want them to play differently than they do, but just because you don't like how the class plays doesn't mean its over powered. Every class has its own style of play. If you don't like the way the mage class plays learn how to counter it.

When I play vs mages the thing I do is keep track of what spells they've played already and be mindful of what I put on the board. At the heart of most people's issues with mages is that they have a great deal of removal thanks to their hero power, direct damage spells and polymorph. That the direct damage spells and hero power can also target the enemy hero is also a source of consternation for many players. The answer is not to change the mage. The answer is to change how you play against them. Don't flood the board on turn 6 when Flamestrike is a possibility on turn 7.

Chunky HP minions and early taunts are a bane for mages because it forces them to use their damage spells as removal instead of blasting your face so their minions can get to you. A fireball hitting a Senjin Shield Masta is better than hitting you. Also try and make good use of minions with windfury. The mage class specific minions are largely low on hp so multi-attacks can get you a two for one trade fairly often. Mages also play more spells than most classes and this affects their ability to control the board positively due to removal but negatively due to having less minions to play.

Secrets simply have to be played around just like vs. Hunters and Paladins. If there's a secret on the board I'll summon a lower end minion if I can to check for Mirror Entity. If that doesn't trigger it I'll usually run my weakest minion into the mage if possible to check for Vaporize or Ice Barrier. Ice Barrier isn't really bad. I just consider it a heal so no bigs. If none of that pops the secret its most likely a counterspelll/spellbender. Use a lower end spell first to pop it if you feel the need to use a bigger spell for something. Yes you feel like you shouldn't have to do that but too bad, that's how secrets play and you have to deal with them. In the future I expect to see a few new neutral cards that can neutralize secrets but they aren't going to be the end all be alls that some players think they'll be.

Mages run alot of spells and have inherently weak card draw capability. Running a minion heavier deck can work really well, especially if you run many taunt and/or charge minions. If you can keep them from hitting you with their minions in the early game and force them to use their direct damage as removal instead of on your face, you'll have a fairly good shot at winning. Pyroblast is hardly run at all since the nerf, never mind two of them.

Just to point out... if you're having problems with mages in the low end, what makes you think you'll have an easier time in the higher ranks vs. other classes? Those are the players who got past all those "OP" mages you're struggling to get away from. If you can't get past the low ranks you'd be positively decimated by the people playing in the higher ranks.
Edited by Kyriani on 2/23/2014 8:18 AM PST
running chunky hp minions and many taunts is suicide vs many other styles. especially vs priests.

the problem with mage is inheretly deep, no amount of buff/nerf will help it. Typically any fight vs other classes goes around judging whats on the table, and you have pretty much 30-40% of information whats going on. Against mage you don't know anything until it hits you. Thats the biggest problem, you always have to gamble. You can have good cards, but you can't use them since you don't know what mage has, therefore you waste most of you mana, whereas mage can do what she pleases. To !@#$ it up evenmore they introduced powerful secrets, I guess fore lore's sake.

My proposition is to changes secrets to some sort of minions, so that opponent has idea what he's playing against.
I also feel mage is too strong. Even after they put up costs for some cards. But the main problem is: I have absolutely no fun playing against mage, because there is no interaction in games against mages.
And since most players in Arena choose mage, I stopped playing HS. From time to time I take a look again if something changed, but till now i got disappointed...
Just played an Arena round. All 3 losses against mages... and this did not happen for the first time.

EDIT:

I should have added: I only talk about ARENA. In normal ranked play it still is no fun playing against mages but at least I almost always win against them...
Edited by KaroTTe on 3/26/2014 7:28 AM PDT
Mage is the worst class in constructed, and they have the easiest set of spells to play around. If you lose to mage, it is only because you are bad.
03/26/2014 10:43 PMPosted by EchoWho
Mage is the worst class in constructed, and they have the easiest set of spells to play around. If you lose to mage, it is only because you are bad.

well first of thanks for your constructive comment, are you trying to be a jerk or does it just come natural?

I just lost to one of those damn stalling mages again
nothing but freezing my minions and direct damage to the face and than on turn 10, BAM pyro to the face.

I can't see how it's so easy to play around spells that have literally ZERO interactivity
they just get played and there's nothing you can do to react
so considering the fact that you're so clever, would you mind sharing some of you brilliance with us or are you just content with coming in here to act all smug about yourself?
The previous comments have covered everything. I just want to say that the Mage's hero power being able to target around taunt is a little ridiculous.
Mage deck is tremendously OP.

As it has been said before, you have to have so many cards on hand to deal with the constant GAME CHANGING possibilities that you can not formulate an attack. Then if you do form an attack their entire deck is designed to repel outright. It's not even about numbers, half of the mage moves destroy things outright or freeze them completely bypassing the ranking system altogether! That is so OP it's ridiculous!

Oh and minions that can freeze your champion... really? Can I silence the mage?
Edited by Immobile on 5/15/2014 3:46 PM PDT
05/15/2014 03:45 PMPosted by Immobile

As it has been said before, you have to have so many cards on hand to deal with the constant GAME CHANGING possibilities that you can not formulate an attack. Then if you do form an attack their entire deck is designed to repel outright. It's not even about numbers, half of the mage moves destroy things outright or freeze them completely bypassing the ranking system altogether! That is so OP it's ridiculous!

You really didn't need to necro this thread with your rage lol.
05/15/2014 03:45 PMPosted by Immobile

What are you going to silence on the mage exactly? Their one HP hero power LOL.
Mages don't have a weapon to attack with like other classes do, so of course they should be able to stop another class for attacking. Most class have weapons that can hit for 4 or 5 for 3 o r4 turns.

OH you are QQ because they can freeze that for a turn or two.

If mages were so OP then why was barely any of the top ranked players use a mage?

Learn how to beat a mage instead of crying about it.

AS for people crying about pyro. IT cost 10 mana, its basically a 10 mana cost combo that takes up a full turn. Mages hardly have any combos at all. That is why they have pyro.

You have other classes that can cause 30 damage with the cards in their hand for 10 mana, should those classes and combos be Nerfed?
Edited by davelanger on 5/17/2014 1:50 AM PDT
All I can say has been said: If mages were so OP, they would dominate highest constructed ranks.

They don't.
05/17/2014 01:48 AMPosted by davelanger
You have other classes that can cause 30 damage with the cards in their hand

Mage can too!

Play 2x Sorcerer’s Apprentice (then the Fireball cost 2 mana, Frostbolt and Ice Lance cost 0 mana) Play a Thalnos/Geomancer, then the spells can deal 7+7+4+4+5+5=32 damage with 9 cards and 10 mana!

That said... no, mage is still not OP. The aggro variants are strong in the current meta, but by no means are they "OP".
Edited by CrazyMage on 5/17/2014 6:28 PM PDT
05/17/2014 06:27 PMPosted by CrazyMage
05/17/2014 01:48 AMPosted by davelanger
You have other classes that can cause 30 damage with the cards in their hand

Mage can too!

Play 2x Sorcerer’s Apprentice (then the Fireball cost 2 mana, Frostbolt and Ice Lance cost 0 mana) Play a Thalnos/Geomancer, then the spells can deal 7+7+4+4+5+5=32 damage with 9 cards and 10 mana!

That said... no, mage is still not OP. The aggro variants are strong in the current meta, but by no means are they "OP".

Oh please, its way easier to get the 30 damage in your hand in other classes than it is a mage. Its near impossible for a mage to get that combo in their hand at the same time.

It doesn't happen nearly like those huge combos some of the other classes can do.
As was said by others, mages are definitely not OP by any means. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that I still hate playing against them. It doesn't matter if I am likely to win because just seeing Jaina's b*tchy face already pisses me off. In fact I would rather play against any other class with the exception of perhaps a Priest(Who although is also below average is just as tedious to play against). Playing mages is boring as their plays are all really predictable and straight forward, but at the same time their minions and spells can be a massive thorn in your rear. This is especially true if you are playing against a control mage where he is just constantly shi**ing on your board and dragging the game out (Although this isn't seen as much nowadays as most just play rush and "skillfully" win using the Ice Lance and Frostbolt combo.) Maybe it is just me and the fact that when I first started playing the ladder was flooded with mages similar to how hunters and zoo flood the ladder today, but nothing can vaporize my good mood more than running into a mage.
05/19/2014 08:39 AMPosted by Swolenasty
As was said by others, mages are definitely not OP by any means. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that I still hate playing against them. It doesn't matter if I am likely to win because just seeing Jaina's b*tchy face already pisses me off. In fact I would rather play against any other class with the exception of perhaps a Priest(Who although is also below average is just as tedious to play against). Playing mages is boring as their plays are all really predictable and straight forward, but at the same time their minions and spells can be a massive thorn in your rear. This is especially true if you are playing against a control mage where he is just constantly shi**ing on your board and dragging the game out (Although this isn't seen as much nowadays as most just play rush and "skillfully" win using the Ice Lance and Frostbolt combo.) Maybe it is just me and the fact that when I first started playing the ladder was flooded with mages similar to how hunters and zoo flood the ladder today, but nothing can vaporize my good mood more than running into a mage.

How is playing a mage anymore boring than those classes that just keep throwing out taunts?
If mages were OP, you would see them in tournaments... which does not happen
As a mage (and multiple classes player, as i try to play everything) i get stomped by priest most of the time, only times i don't get stomped by priest are when i'm lucky as paladin, or when playing priest too.
MAGE IS OP. There are no other Hero's that have an equal amount/equally powerful set of removal cards accessible without extensive play or paying cash. Unless you purchase with real money some decks for your heroes to build a deck that can nerf mage, you will lose almost every time guaranteed no matter how skilled a player you are, especially when all you have at your disposal are starting common cards. The only people who do not agree with this are people who use Mage themselves and benefit from her cheap !@# removal cards. I wish there was an option to opt out of playing against any mages at all when playing ranked because I cannot tell you how many times I've lost a game to a mage in ranked in only like 7-10 because of Polymorph, Arcane Missiles, Fireball, Frostbolt, Flamestrike, and Pyroblast.
You DO see mages in tournaments.....
06/18/2014 08:52 AMPosted by RileyCoyote
You DO see mages in tournaments.....

i saw only one in a dreamhack...
Mages suck
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]