Rank 3: what legendary should I craft?

So I've made it to rank 3 with the following deck (some variations as noted), but at the moment I seem unable to climb any further winning and loosing about 50%. So my deck needs improvement and I will soon be able to craft my first legendary. So I am asking here for opinions on which one I should pick.

My deck is:

2 arcane missle
2 mirror image
2 mana worm
2 frost bolt
2 novice enginer
2 mad bomber
2 sorcerer apprentice
1 Ice block
2 harvest golem
2 fireball
2 dark iron dwarf
2 defender of argus
2 azure drake
2 blizzard
2 pyroblast
The last card I am experimenting with, varying between argent squire/spell bender/mirror entity etc. I used 2 argent squires untill rank 4 when I crafted my ice block.

Opinions please.
Reply Quote
Sylvanas is just to good to pass up. Craft away.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
I'm only rank 7, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here's my line of thought. You're playing a spell based aggro deck, with very few large creatures to draw removal before you play your big legendary. This means that whatever you play is almost certainly going to get removed on your opponents turn, so whatever we pick needs to get value the turn it's played. Therefore, I think that either Bloodmage Thalnos, Antonidas, or Alexstraza would be excellent additions to this deck.

Bloodmage Thalnos, while not as flashy as the other cards, is an excellent card in and of itself. It can replace the card draw given by novice engineer, and also give you one spell power to boot the turn he's played.

Antonidas is a slower play, but could also be effective. Antonidas works in this deck because of the number of low casting cost spells in the deck. Ideally, you would throw down Antonidas and some 1/2 casting cost spells in the same turn and get a fireball or two out of him before he dies the next turn. The biggest problem here is that you have to actively save at least one of these spells to combo with Antonidas, which I imagine could be difficult in certain circumstances.

Alexstrasza is something that inspired me from Reckful's "Realz the Mastermind" deck from the Innkeeper's Invitational at Blizzcon. It allows you to either set your health to 15 so that you can live 1 more turn, or set your opponent's health to 15 and burn him down. Once again don't count on the 8/8 body, any class with hard removal will almost certainly kill it the turn it's played.

I actually don't really like Leeroy in this deck as it is. Leeroy is too vulnerable to your opponent throwing up a fat taunt minion, and with how few minions you have in your deck I imagine it'd be difficult to clear it up without throwing damage spells at it that you'd rather direct at his face.

I could buy an argument for Sylvanas to stall for time against minion heavy aggro decks, but I'd have to play around with deck a bit to see if it was really an issue.
Reply Quote
For 95% of people (statistic pulled out of my rear end), Sylvanas should be the first Legendary crafted. She is extremely versatile and fits in nearly any deck from aggro rush to control to spell based. She's simply too good for the mana and is, almost, never a bad play.

Now with Sylvanas out of the way, Bloodmage Thalnos is one of the better crafts. Sylvanas and Ragnaros are mustangs. Thalnos is a work horse. People don't look at him and go "WOW" the way Ragnaros does. He doesn't win games by himself. What he does is work for you. He takes a spell and makes it better. And he replaces himself when he dies. He's not flashy but he's rarely a bad play. He's not quite as versatile as Sylvanas but he fits in most mage, druid and rogue decks and can find a home in most other classes.
Reply Quote
By the way, Antonidas was the second Legendary I opened up. I, immediately, threw him in my mage deck and used him extensively. The problem in a spell heavy deck (i.e. the type of deck you want him in), he can be a dead card a lot of times. The problem with Antonidas is that he has a random 7 to 10 mana cost to him (forget what the actual card says). You have to combo him with something to get any use out of him.

I've had situations where I played him when my opponent had zero cards in hand, zero cards in their deck and zero minions on the field and they still removed Antonidas the turn after I played him. Don't ask me how but the opponent will ALWAYS remove him the turn after he is played so if you can't combo him the turn you drop him, he's not likely to survive. Though it is a thing of absolute beauty the few times you get him out cleanly and start chaining fireballs off of each other.
Reply Quote
I've had a game where the opponent played Millhouse and I had enough mana for Antonidus + Missiles. It was awesome - free Fireballs until I won :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
I'd recommend Sylvanas, she's a pretty strong card in any deck; she tends to be a "late-game" card by the standards of rush decks and a mid-game card for late-game decks. But she fits into any. Her effect isn't always as powerful as something like Ragnaros, but she's cheap enough that you'll always play her, and played at the right time her effect can be extremely disruptive to the enemy (often forcing them to trade very unfavorably to remove her safely). Even in her worst case scenario, she's a pretty solid 5/5.
Reply Quote
On topic - id say sylvanas, leeroy, alexstraza + replace 1 engineer with Nat Pagle.
Gonna try your deck right now, im sitting at rank 5 struggling against druids, plz tell me how do you manage to beat them? My butt bombs so hard when i see a druid, it feels like Iraq.
Edited by Talon on 1/3/2014 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
I haven't seen any mages running Nat Pagle or Leeroy. I personally don't like Pagle as on average he has to live for 3 turns to pay for himself, and that doesn't even account for the mana used; that's a very long time for a minion to live.
Reply Quote
A novice engineer with taunt and 4 hp doesnt pay for itself?
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure I'll go for Sylvanas then. I sure hate facing her. Antonidus and alexstraza are to expensive (slow) for this deck I think. The bloodmage would be good but I dont think he would make enough of an impact to be my first legendary.

Talon: Sorry I dont have any specific advice against druids. The good ones are indeed tough, but with luck they can still be beaten. Good luck with the deck, I hope it serves you well.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
I hadn't noticed you weren't running Alexstraza by the way, she's probably the best legendary for any mage deck due to the way she synergizes with Ice Block and Pyroblast. Still, one difference is that at least at the moment, ANY deck you make is probabyl going to run Sylvanas, but most decks you make aren't going to run Alexstraza.

I often say that Sylvanas is almost never the best legendary for a deck, but she has broad enough appeal that she fits into basically any deck.
Reply Quote
Hm, modified your deck with sylvanas and nat pagle, took out bombers for jugglers and went from rank 6 to 4 overnight. My mother got flamed on though, cz i buffed opponent's leprognome with the dark iron dwarf, then killed my sylvanas off it, mindcontrolling the enemy's sylvanas, while the enemy had 2 more creeps on the battlefield. Too bad. So, add sylvanas and nat and this deck is sick. Thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote
I'd go with Bloodmage Thalnos myself. It's a card that is amazing in almost every single deck.
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 03:08 PMPosted by Sar
Pagle as on average he has to live for 3 turns to pay for himself

W O W.

Seriously?

Just WOW.

You coin Nat and enemy cannot do anything to it for at least 1 turn (only lock can Soulfire that and then he spends 2 cards - soulfire and a discard, so you autowin there).

Even if you don't count the card draw, people want to get rid of Nat ASAP for obvious reasons and so they spend 1 removal on it (ie. Wrath/Claw/Frostbolt/Backstab......... you get the idea).

Why would he even HAVE to live for 3 turns to return value? Even if your opponent does not spend any card to remove it, it still acts as a "shield" as they have to kill it and so you could say it acts as kind of 4 hp heal - same way as doomsayer acts as 7 hp "heal". They either get rid of these cards or they get !@#$ed.

Regarding what legend you should craft - Antonidas. It is one of the most underestimated legendary. Won me countless games vs control druids. Don't forget you want to use it AFTER they played all/most of their removals on your other cards.

P.S.: Currently Legendary Rank 46 EU (I run both Nat and Antonidas in my deck).
Reply Quote
Haha imz rank 3 now! just won the placement game with nat pagle, the enemy mage ignored him whole game, which resulted in 4 drawn cards and an absorbed ragnaros burst. THAT WAS JUST HILARIOUS.
Reply Quote
Emihir0, can i have a glimpse of ur deck please ? Ive run Aggro mage deck but i hit the wall at rank 5. Then i switched to Murlock Lock and hit the rank 3 wall. Im stuck between them. I have Antonidas and i love him, so i will appreciate if u can show me ur deck list.
Reply Quote
Do you play EU region? I'd rather not make it public (yet).

Also, my deck is not mage aggro but mage control rather. It runs both Molten and Mountain giants.
Edited by emihir0 on 1/4/2014 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
ye, im from EU region, u can send me an invite, or should i >
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 05:31 AMPosted by emihir0
Regarding what legend you should craft - Antonidas. It is one of the most underestimated legendary. Won me countless games vs control druids. Don't forget you want to use it AFTER they played all/most of their removals on your other cards.

Here's my issue with Antonidas: With a spellpower based deck (i.e. the type of deck that Antonidas fits into best since you need to cast spells), what minions are are you playing that need to be hard removed? It's very rare for me to be able to successfully bait out my opponent's hard removal cards and play Antonidas cleanly. It just doesn't happen very often. With that being said, when it DOES happen, it's amazing being able to rain fiery doom on your opponent but it just doesn't happen often.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]