Pyroblast NO !!! for 8 mana !!!

If Priest "Mind control" goes op to 10 mana Pyroblast shoud go to 10 as well, coz i played many mages who doesn`t care about table only waiting for pyroblast and hitting in face with all spells he got ... mage advantage is so big also coz spell can bypass taunts and i think its wrong too. And of course FLAMESTRIKE .... 8 mana i think. :)
Reply Quote
The reason MC went to 10 was because the ability is removal *and* a minion copy in one card so it makes sense to not be able to cast anything else in the same turn. It is is also a common priest card.
Pyro is just 10 damage and also an epic.
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 02:22 PMPosted by RedDawn

Pyro is just 10 damage and also an epic.

This, but it seems people does't care on the rarity of the cards. (exept the f2p whiners ofc)
Reply Quote
This topic is new and original.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
Read this, it'll help you with mages.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10973087435

Also, damaging spells follow the curve of damage = 1 + cost. Mages used to fall on that curve (including Fireball and Pyroblast), but they were substantially too weak, to the point of being unplayable. Furthermore, those who did play mage avoided use of spells because they simply weren't strong enough. Blizzard didn't like this since they wanted Mages to feel like the caster class, so they killed three birds with one stone by reducing the cost of Fireball and Pyroblast: it buffed mages, it made players more encouraged to use damage spells, and made mage spells feel more unique and powerful (rather than just simply being another spell on the same curve as everyone else).
Reply Quote
I'm actually wondering whether restricting pyro to one per deck would be a good idea but there's really no good way to do this without making it a legendary (which won't happen).
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 02:29 PMPosted by Sar

Also, damaging spells follow the curve of damage = 1 + cost.

This is actually incorrect. I've seen you corrected across more than one thread about this yet you continue to post the same spam to your guide in every anti mage thread.
Edited by Evilized on 1/1/2014 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2014 02:29 PMPosted by Sar
Read this, it'll help you with mages.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10973087435

Also, damaging spells follow the curve of damage = 1 + cost. Mages used to fall on that curve (including Fireball and Pyroblast), but they were substantially too weak, to the point of being unplayable. Furthermore, those who did play mage avoided use of spells because they simply weren't strong enough. Blizzard didn't like this since they wanted Mages to feel like the caster class, so they killed three birds with one stone by reducing the cost of Fireball and Pyroblast: it buffed mages, it made players more encouraged to use damage spells, and made mage spells feel more unique and powerful (rather than just simply being another spell on the same curve as everyone else).

Great reply. Mages definitely should feel like the masters of damaging spells, so having a slightly better curve I entirely support. If (again - IF) they are out of line right now, the way to bring them back is not to nerf their spell damage.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/01/2014 02:42 PMPosted by Evilized

This is actually incorrect. I've seen you corrected across more than one thread about this yet you continue to post the same spam to your guide in every anti mage thread.

Show me where I'm wrong. This is indeed the curve for damaging spells.
Reply Quote
DD spells are Op, they pass taunts, they pass minions,

Why bother with either...

Lets just chuck fire balls at each other, Want a fun game...................
Reply Quote
Last week i participate in online tournament in my country ( Poland ), and this tournament won a guy who played mage with only hitting in the face strategy, i saw he semi finals game on the stream with guy who have hell of a deck with 6 well balanced legendaries and he lost because he can`t stop THAT kind of power indirectly hitting in face.

Winner of this tournament have problem only with this full of legendaries guy and beat all other easily,
Watching stream i saw card like:

2x Fireball, 2x Pyroblast ... these 4 cards give you 32 damage in face !!! OMG
2x Polymorph, 2x Flamestrike, 2x Frostbolt, 2x Blizzard, 2x Frost Nova, 2x Cone of Cold
2x Lepper gnome, 2x Mirror Image, 2x Ice Lance, 2x Mana Wyrm, 2x Arcane Intellect

With deck build with that card set you get ABSOLUTE board control Polymorph for big guy , Flamestrike for groups, and waiting for Fireballs and Pyroplast to finish .... Too easy to win, too hard to stand against it.

OP !!!!!
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 01:00 AMPosted by szefol86
lost because he can`t stop THAT kind of power indirectly hitting in face.

Reckful druid deck can stop any pyroblast mage any time any place.

Don't underestimate the power of healing card.

Usually you don't need them, but with mages they are game changing.

With Druid or Paladin with healing cards in the deck and good board control, no mage can kill you because they spend their cards and remain without board control.

2 pyro + 2 fireballs is 32 damage. 2 guardian of kings and two healers are 21 heal and 16 damage if they hit once only, and they are 4 MINIONS, which means they will trade for other mage cards / minions.
Edited by marsovac on 1/2/2014 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/02/2014 01:49 AMPosted by marsovac
lost because he can`t stop THAT kind of power indirectly hitting in face.

Reckful druid deck can stop any pyroblast mage any time any place.

Don't underestimate the power of healing card.

Usually you don't need them, but with mages they are game changing.

With Druid or Paladin with healing cards in the deck and good board control, no mage can kill you because they spend their cards and remain without board control.

2 pyro + 2 fireballs is 32 damage. 2 guardian of kings and two healers are 21 heal and 16 damage if they hit once only, and they are 4 MINIONS, which means they will trade for other mage cards / minions.

I'm not usually a fan of pure healing spells, but in the case of druid I think Healing Touch is a relatively useful card in its own right. Druids run a substantial number of large minions that often become viable targets for the heal, and it's much cheaper to heal an Ancient of War on the verge of death than it is to let it die and play a new one.
Reply Quote
I have about 90% win rate vs mages. They are my easiest class to beat.

<---Warrior.
Reply Quote
If Priest "Mind control" goes op to 10 mana Pyroblast shoud go to 10 as well, coz i played many mages who doesn`t care about table only waiting for pyroblast and hitting in face with all spells he got ... mage advantage is so big also coz spell can bypass taunts and i think its wrong too. And of course FLAMESTRIKE .... 8 mana i think. :)

These bother me more than it should haha. At least I didn't point out all the punctuation.

Nobodies perfect though, it's just my OCD.
Reply Quote

That does not take in to account the exponential value of having more and more damage on a single card, targeting restrictions nor the other potential damage cards in a class's deck which in the Mage's case is staggering.

I really do not think Blizzard are designing spells in a simple cut-and-dry fashion like that.
Edited by Amulrei on 1/2/2014 3:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

Starfall: 5 for 5, or 2 aoe for 5
Wrath: 3 for 2, or 1+draw for 2
Starfire: 5+draw for 6
Moonfire: 1 for 0
Swipe: 4 + 1aoe for 4

Avenging Wrath: 8 for 6
Bane of Doom: 2 + summon for 5
Pyroblast: 10 for 8
Shield slam: (varies) for 1
Blade flurry: (varies) aoe for 2
Explosive Shot: 5 + 2 adjacent for 5
Headcrack: 2 for 3, usually 2 for 0
Holy Wrath: (varies) for 5
Lavaburst: 5 for 3+2
Lightning Bolt: 3 for 1+1
Mortal Strike: 4 or 6 for 4

I mean, I could go on. There is no "standard" damage formula for direct damage. The vast, vast, VAST majority of direct damage spells are not simply "do x damage for y mana". In fact, fireball, pyroblast, holy smite and moonfire are the only examples I can think of that don't have some sort of qualifier, aoe component, card draw, or other reason for an altered cost. That leaves 2 spells (both mage) following the damage=mana+2 formula, and 2 following the damage=mana+1 formula.

I guess that counts as a "damage curve" - two makes a pattern right?

Ultimately, it would be ridiculous to cost spells like that anyway; having 10 damage on a single card has vastly different interactions with mana, pacing, spellpower, etc than having, say, 5 damage on two cards for the same cost.

Fireball should be 4 for 5 damage, and Pyro should be 7 for 8 damage - at BEST.
Edited by Pathologic on 1/2/2014 3:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
Mages spells should be NERFED TO THE GROUND!.

Mages are the cheap players of the game, along with priests.
I see some guys here talk bull!@#$.
You want to win with mage. TAKE ALL THE SPELLS and then just randomly choose minions with spell dmg.

Thats how easy it is.
Mages should be nerfed, and nerfed to the ground.
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 02:01 AMPosted by Sar
I'm not usually a fan of pure healing spells, but in the case of druid I think Healing Touch is a relatively useful card in its own right. Druids run a substantial number of large minions that often become viable targets for the heal, and it's much cheaper to heal an Ancient of War on the verge of death than it is to let it die and play a new one.

HS's standout feature of permanent damage makes its heals a lot better than in any other CCG. And I think Blizz wants to keep them better still by requiring you to use some to survive a burn mage.
Edited by Rade on 1/2/2014 5:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

Starfall: 5 for 5, or 2 aoe for 5
Wrath: 3 for 2, or 1+draw for 2
Starfire: 5+draw for 6
Moonfire: 1 for 0
Swipe: 4 + 1aoe for 4

Avenging Wrath: 8 for 6
Bane of Doom: 2 + summon for 5
Pyroblast: 10 for 8
Shield slam: (varies) for 1
Blade flurry: (varies) aoe for 2
Explosive Shot: 5 + 2 adjacent for 5
Headcrack: 2 for 3, usually 2 for 0
Holy Wrath: (varies) for 5
Lavaburst: 5 for 3+2
Lightning Bolt: 3 for 1+1
Mortal Strike: 4 or 6 for 4

Wow... you're really bad at this. You even listed a bunch of spells that are actually right on curve... are you blind or something? First of all, we're talking about direct damage spells, so I'm not sure why you're referencing cards like Blade Flurry, Avenging Wrath, etc. Beyond that, hero damage spells are on a different curve (look at Sinister Strike and Mind Blast). Lastly, recognize that cantrip spells take a 2 mana cost penalty for the draw, following the curve of damage = cost -1 (Shiv, Hammer of Wrath, Starfire).

As for the ones you listed that actually are direct damage spells:
1) Starfall. Several "choose one" spells take a penalty in exchange for the choice (otherwise they'd be flat out better than their alternatives). Starfall takes a +1 cost penalty to its direct damage for the choice, and it loses the secondary effect that 5-damage aoe's like Holy Nova have (i.e. the healing).

2) Wrath is a falls right on the curve; they didn't put a penalty in for the choose 1 on it.

3) Lava Burst, like many overload mechanics, takes a net mana cost penalty in exchange for the benefits of Overload. You can see this same penalty when you look at cards like Forked Lightning vs. Cleave or Stormforged Axe vs. Fiery Waraxe. Either way, as per the curve, it should be a cost of 4, but the overload penalty puts it at 5.

4) Lightning Bolt is actually on curve, not sure why you'd try to list that as a counter-example...

5) Moonfire is also exactly on curve, which is why I don't understand why you'd want to list that as a counter-example.

Beyond that, every single other option you listed isn't a direct damage spell; it's either an aoe or some other weird thing, so I don't know why you'd be so incompetent as to even attempt to list them. It's like trying to say how awesome Knife Juggler is when comparing 5-drops, they're completely unrelated.

As for a list, incase you're wondering, of the curve, look at Smite, Shadowbolt, Moonfire, Wrath, Eviscerate, Arcane Shot, pre-buff Fireball/Pyroblast, Lightning Bolt, and Mortal Strike.

P.S. When trying to make a compelling argument, the ability to read can be very helpful.
Edited by Sar on 1/2/2014 5:22 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]