Mages do the same stuff over and over again!

To be fair, he's right. Classes should be forced to engage the board. The combo of unavoidable high dmg cards with guaranteed turn increasing cards like iceblock and ice barrier let's mages effectively ignore what the other person is doing. It's pretty dumb.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
12/29/2013 11:07 AMPosted by Solarkick
To be fair, he's right. Classes should be forced to engage the board. The combo of unavoidable high dmg cards with guaranteed turn increasing cards like iceblock and ice barrier let's mages effectively ignore what the other person is doing. It's pretty dumb.

As has been repeated many times on this forums, mages don't have much more than the minimum amount of damage required to kill a player, nor do they have enough freezing power to keep you in perpetual freeze. Rushing the board can kill the mage before they can Pyroblast, and even a small amount of healing can bring your health to a point that they literally cannot kill you without minions on the board.
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 08:27 AMPosted by CeaRshaf
Trust me at the higher ranks warlocks regardless what style aggro deck they run both try to open and finish the same way. Regardless of what type of druid you run into they both try to open and finish the same way. Regardless of what type of rogue you run into they both try to open and finish the same way. Regardless of what type of Paladin you run into they both try to open and finish the same way.

See what I did there? Regardless of what deck archetype of a deck your opponent plays you know exactly how they will try to open with and how they will try to finish you off with. I mean maybe thats the difference between a rank 3 or a rank 13 is you know exactly how the opponent will try to play his cards, I mean sometimes when I play long sessions the games start to merge together and I forget my current opponents spell count because people at higher levels will play exactly the same way.

I am sorry this is how mages play out but honestly I don't want to sound mean but this is a learn to play issue and when you see a mage know he will try to stall out the game to pyro you in the face.

Mages play a warlock style on steroids since they have their great class cards that don't rely on board control as warlocks do. I do not whine about aggro warlocks because that is fair and there are ways to beat that. But undeniable damage after a lame rush is sickening bad.

And that is not true, warlocks try to play the same but for them the board does matter and they resolve puzzles each game. A mage gives 0 fuks.

To the Mods:
Seriously, can someone just ban this foul-mouthed idiot? He's constantly trying to get around the profanity filters, and his trolling/idiotic posts have no purpose.
Reply Quote
As has been repeated many times on this forums, mages don't have much more than the minimum amount of damage required to kill a player, nor do they have enough freezing power to keep you in perpetual freeze. Rushing the board can kill the mage before they can Pyroblast, and even a small amount of healing can bring your health to a point that they literally cannot kill you without minions on the board.

And has also been pointed out many times on these forums, you are wrong, especially if you factor in certain legendaries that set an opponent's health to 15. That means the mage simply needs to pull 3 cards to get a 100% win and can just stall with iceblock and ice barrier til he pulls those cards.

That a mage CAN lose using this strategy is not the point. The point is that the deck is still highly successful and involves largely ignoring the board. This is the same reason UTH was nerfed.
Reply Quote

For the record, I myself try to help people who come into the mage forum having trouble facing them, and I'd say about 1/3 of the people actually take the criticism constructively (though admittedly it's possible that more actually do and just aren't vocal about it). About 2/3 of the people who are told how to play against class X (in the case of this forum mage, but you'll actually see it in all forums) go on a QQ spree about how the class is overpowered, can't be beaten, and only newbs play it or whatever. Even in this thread, a link to a topic on how to counter mages was responded to the OP with "don't care". And that is the annoying thing you see over and over in the forums, and exactly accurate; newbs don't care how to play well, they just want the way they're already playing to win them games instead of learning how to play the game well.

If you want to talk about diarrhea spewing from the mouth, you should see the endless posts in every forum about people complaining classes can't be beaten when even the best classes are getting 55% win rates right now.

making fun of those who struggle never helps

the person i was responding to only trolls those he is "better" than, that a$$ never gives any advice.

imo he is only fueling problems, i cant stand him.

I'd invite anyone to look through "MrPhyst"s posting history to see just how helpful and useful his posts are. I guess if someone wanted to learn how to moan about being beaten, while typing with their thumbs (badly) then his contributions might be a great help. It might come as a surprise to him that you're not charged by the character here, so "u dnt hv 2 typ lyk an rtard" :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
12/29/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Solarkick

And has also been pointed out many times on these forums, you are wrong, especially if you factor in certain legendaries that set an opponent's health to 15. That means the mage simply needs to pull 3 cards to get a 100% win and can just stall with iceblock and ice barrier til he pulls those cards.

That a mage CAN lose using this strategy is not the point. The point is that the deck is still highly successful and involves largely ignoring the board. This is the same reason UTH was nerfed.

Yes, if you let the mage get to turn 9 without forcing them to use Alexstraza to save themselves, this would legitimately be true. But Alexstraza requires a full turn to play, so it's not like the mage can both play Alexstraza and either freeze your minions and play an Ice Block in the same turn. Basically, even a minimal amount of pressure against a mage will usually prevent them from using Alexstraza offensively.

The only way this becomes untrue is if a mage is exerting board control over you all game, in which case I'm unsure what you're complaining about. The complaint seems to be that mages can kill you without exerting board control, but in most situations the only way they can actually survive to turn 9 and not have to use Alexstraza to heal themself is if they are exerting board control... so that seems like a non-issue to this problem.
Edited by Sar on 12/29/2013 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Solarkick

And has also been pointed out many times on these forums,
...by idiots...
you are wrong,
Good argument. I'm now convinced!
especially if you factor in certain legendaries that set an opponent's health to 15.
You mean that 1 legendary, right? Or are there more? It's amazing that only mages have access to that one isn't it?
That means the mage simply needs to pull 3 cards to get a 100% win and can just stall with iceblock and ice barrier til he pulls those cards.
Good point. I wondered why I had a separate hand full of iceblocks and ice barriers in the "super secret mage deck" that are available at all times. Thanks for clearing that up - I'll soon be up at rank 24 with you!
That a mage CAN lose using this strategy is not the point.
Ok, share your wisdom...
The point is that the deck is still highly successful and involves largely ignoring the board. This is the same reason UTH was nerfed.
Well that's an outrage! A successful mage deck?! Not on my watch! It'll be interesting to see this uber deck that can completely ignore the board and win almost all of the time.

Oh well, another whiner for the /ignore list :)
Reply Quote
Lol this is a card game. That statement is true for every class.
Reply Quote
Scerion, you're the only one in this whole website who deserves a ban.
Every thread is you attempting to piss someone off for no apparent reason.

@ OP: I think it's unfair to say all of the mages in all tiers of play, are using
the exact same style, that being said, it's fine if you hate a cheap class.

I've run into more people who hate mages for multiple reasons, than those
who respect them, so you're not alone in feeling that way, not in the least.

The other boards are full of threads like "Playing against Mages sucks!",
"Playing against Mages is so mind numbingly boring!" It's a common feel.

That doesn't mean Mages all play the same exact style deck, and they don't.
They're just an insanely boring class to have to be forced to play against...
Edited by PlayfulPanda on 12/29/2013 3:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 03:25 PMPosted by PlayfulPanda

Yep. Every thread I see him in involves him attacking anyone who dares question any aspect of mage gameplay. This is beta. We're supposed to give our opinions on whether certain mechanics should exist in the game. And SHOCKINGLY you can play mage -- as I do -- and still think the mechanic of delay delay delay -- pryoblast - iceblock - pyroblast is just dumb, frustrating to play against and even boring to play yourself after you've had your lulz.
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 03:25 PMPosted by PlayfulPanda
The other boards are full of threads like "Playing against Mages sucks!",
"Playing against Mages is so mind numbingly boring!" It's a common feel.

I usually have you on ignore, but I was curious to find out what you're lying about today. I looked through the other class forums just now, and only a couple of threads in the first page of any other them even mentioned mages. And of those all but 1 were just asking for tips - not the pathetic whining you and your equally useless little chums keep posting here. So you're demonstrably lying. Again. Indeed, the Priest forum actually has even more whining threads than this forum, which is hard to believe (although I personally think some of the priest spells need to be changed, I don't go whining about it.)

At least I now know never you take you off of ignore again. Your input is worse than useless.

/ignore
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 03:41 PMPosted by Solarkick

Yep. Every thread I see him in involves him attacking anyone who dares question any aspect of mage gameplay. This is beta. We're supposed to give our opinions on whether certain mechanics should exist in the game. And SHOCKINGLY you can play mage -- as I do -- and still think the mechanic of delay delay delay -- pryoblast - iceblock - pyroblast is just dumb, frustrating to play against and even boring to play yourself after you've had your lulz.

He doesn't stop.
I think he has aspergers or something.
I'm not just saying that to be mean, he's a jerk and proud of it.

It's a boring class...
I mean, yeah "Don't like it, don't play it!" is a fine argument.
Don't like playing against it? Uninstall? I mean, I concede carelessly lol.
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 08:58 AMPosted by Sar

u whine more about others struggling with this game than anyone i have ever met.

u offer no constructive advice and and seem to fancy yourself as being better than others.

u r the most annoying person on the forums.

how is it so hard to be considerate and empathetic?
"yeah i used to have trouble dealing with that stuff, so i started dealing with it like this, hope it helps u bud. :D"

but no u gotta spew diarrhea out ur mouth every chance u get .
u sir are not great or ever good let alone better than anyone else

fo guck ur self

For the record, I myself try to help people who come into the mage forum having trouble facing them, and I'd say about 1/3 of the people actually take the criticism constructively (though admittedly it's possible that more actually do and just aren't vocal about it). About 2/3 of the people who are told how to play against class X (in the case of this forum mage, but you'll actually see it in all forums) go on a QQ spree about how the class is overpowered, can't be beaten, and only newbs play it or whatever. Even in this thread, a link to a topic on how to counter mages was responded to the OP with "don't care". And that is the annoying thing you see over and over in the forums, and exactly accurate; newbs don't care how to play well, they just want the way they're already playing to win them games instead of learning how to play the game well.

If you want to talk about diarrhea spewing from the mouth, you should see the endless posts in every forum about people complaining classes can't be beaten when even the best classes are getting 55% win rates right now.

It's people like you who lead me to believe that whatever criteria Blizzard is using to determine who gets to be a green poster and who doesn't, being a decent human being isn't one of them. All I see you do is defend the broken state of mages at the moment and whoever disagrees with you must be a noob or someone otherwise incapable of playing the game properly.
You'd expect a shred of decency from green posters but it seems that isn't important these days.
Reply Quote
Why am I getting vibes from days long past mages in Hearthstone are going to turn into the PVP version of Blood DKs from wow. For those who are not familiar with how Blood DKs used to play is they would heal up a minimum of 20% after a strike and they were a tank class, aka more health and defensive tools than most other classes at the cost of damage. If you went to the forums you thought Blood DKs were the most broken thing ever and the higher end players just laughed at this notion. People who, for a lack of a better word not as skilled, didn't realize to beat a Blood Dk 1v1 in a PVP situation you DON'T LET HIM STRIKE YOU but that was different than the other 30 some specs so people didn't know how to counter them unless you learned how to counter them. I have a feeling mages are going to end up like this not bad at higher levels but in the lower ranks "scrub killers" like how Blood Dks and Frost Mages used to be long time ago.
Edited by Akris on 12/29/2013 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ya, he mad.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

It's people like you who lead me to believe that whatever criteria Blizzard is using to determine who gets to be a green poster and who doesn't, being a decent human being isn't one of them. All I see you do is defend the broken state of mages at the moment and whoever disagrees with you must be a noob or someone otherwise incapable of playing the game properly.
You'd expect a shred of decency from green posters but it seems that isn't important these days.

That's because I don't think Mage is broken; I think the people who think it's broken are inexperience and looking for something to whine about when they lose. If you want to know "decency", I have the decency to actually give you a high-end player's perspective on the game rather than simply parroting worthless dribble you want to hear that will make you feel better. Which is more decent: telling you the truth that's going to get you irritated at me, or spouting nonsense that's going to make me seem like one of the cool guys?

By the way, if you're having trouble beating mage, read this: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10973087435 It's my public service announcement on how to fight against a class many people think is uncounterable.

Anyway, all data I've seen indicate that mage is nothing special. I also jump around all classes since, frankly, that's just part of what I do, and mage isn't really anything overpowered for me. I thought the frost giants deck was pretty ridiculous, but that's about it. Either way, the statistics I've seen are showing mages with slightly under a 50% win rate, and I'll see at rank 3 I still see mages, but they're far less common than rogues, warlocks, and druids; if they were really overpowered, I'd expect to see far more of them (note when the patch first came out I did).

Also, am I saying that anyone who disagrees with me is a newb or playing the game wrong? Not everyone, but many are. Look, I'm an experienced player, I was playing back in Cockatrice when the game was still in alpha. I have roughly a year of experience under my belt in Hearthstone, whereas most of the people here have played for maybe a month. So frankly, compared to me, yes, they are newbs (how else do you describe the experience difference between people that have an order of magnitude difference play time between them?) And frankly, if you disagree with thoughts on the game, you probably are wrong. Not all; there are many aspects of the game that have a difference of opinion.

But at the same time, consider a chess analogy. There are various forms of play of chess that are "right". If there weren't, the game would only have one opening set of moves. But if you had a grandmaster and someone who had been playing for two months debating the merits of various opening moves, which one is going to be correct? The answer is obvious, and in most situations that's the relative difference between myself and most of the people who are complaining on the forum. I could be humble like I'm supposed to, but this is the truth of the situation. So would you rather have the polite answer or the correct answer?
Edited by Sar on 12/30/2013 1:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Can someone link me to the most up-to-date Ultimate Mage Deck Build? I've stopped playing Mage after the recent nerfs and have been playing Warlock Beef Stew, but I would like to get back into Mage.

Edit: I'm assuming this one is the most played Mage Deck?: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/11040554476
Edited by VietPho on 12/30/2013 1:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been playing a mage deck since I got into the beta and I wanted to offer my thoughts on the subject.

I've been fiddling with a deck that tries to counter early aggro/stealth, playing cards like Demolisher. I don't use Pyroblast. I try to win with a combo of aggro and stall, finishing with archmage + any cheap spells.

I do find the mirror against pyro-stall mages frustrating, but it's not unbeatable and certainly not unfair. There was an earlier post on "How to Beat Mages" and I have to agree that most of the points are spot on. Early pressure with either healing or health-boosting effects are strong, which is why I'm trying cards that counter that. I'm also tinkering with Counterspell to strong results.

I think the mage match up is interesting and really forces me to consider every option, since I pretty much know every card in their deck. But sometimes a top-deck pyroblast will beat me, and just like in magic, that's the nature of the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]