This Mage Forums is simply toxic

Used to really enjoy coming to this section of the forums back when discussion was good. Today this forum is simply a cesspool of people coming in to bash mage players and beg Blizzard to nerf the mage class into a state of complete unplayability (and some posters don't even try to pretend about balance any longer, they simply ask for Blizzard to delete the entire class).

I've said this repeatedly but the sad thing is that at the height of Mages overpoweredness, the meta shifted hard against us when Paladins and Druids started to run anti-mage decks which completely destroyed us. And then, lo and behold, people found that Druid and Paladin were powerful in their own right and many of the top players went on to use the two classes all the way to Legend status.

Second, immediately after the nerfs people started to complain about the rise of aggro / rush decks. Also, as I have repeatedly asked, why the hell did people expect would happen when the main counter to aggro rush got nerfed? So now people want Murlocs and Blood Imps nerfed...

Personally I had a lot more fun with Heathstone back in early November when people were still figuring things out and everyone was just calling for Hunter UTH nerfs...
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
In all fairness, as much as I agree with your premise, you'll find the same thing in EVERY class's forum. There's a lot of people who just assume that if they get beaten by a class that it couldn't be a problem with them, it must be a problem with the class. Or at least they're the most vocal ones. So instead of learning how to play correctly they ask for the rules of the game to be changed for them.
Reply Quote
comically terrible vocal minority.

this the group that has hijacked most forums and continues to flood the forums with useless, waste of bandwidth posts about how [insert class here] beat them and the first thing they do is come to the forums, complain about the manner in which they were beaten, with 99.9% of the time being a failure on their part, but because they are incapable of taking any kind of criticism they shout even louder until blizzard start listening to this vocal minority, nerfing the game left and right to pacify these whining nobodies so that they continue to play the game, and continue to funnel real money into the game, screwing over the legitimate players who want to fix the game properly, and not just rely on kneejerk reactions from the blizzard developers who seem to cave to mass protest with no actual evidence other than "THE FEELZ ARE ALL WRONG YO", which coincedentally also can pretty much summarise the kids of today who have this notion that they have some kind of god given right of entitlement, and anyone/anythin that denies them that, is evil and must be punished.
Reply Quote
Come to hunter forum. Its peaceful and quite like a retirement community.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
12/28/2013 09:40 PMPosted by Rogoth01
comically terrible vocal minority.

this the group that has hijacked most forums and continues to flood the forums with useless, waste of bandwidth posts about how [insert class here] beat them and the first thing they do is come to the forums, complain about the manner in which they were beaten, with 99.9% of the time being a failure on their part, but because they are incapable of taking any kind of criticism they shout even louder until blizzard start listening to this vocal minority, nerfing the game left and right to pacify these whining nobodies so that they continue to play the game, and continue to funnel real money into the game, screwing over the legitimate players who want to fix the game properly, and not just rely on kneejerk reactions from the blizzard developers who seem to cave to mass protest with no actual evidence other than "THE FEELZ ARE ALL WRONG YO", which coincedentally also can pretty much summarise the kids of today who have this notion that they have some kind of god given right of entitlement, and anyone/anythin that denies them that, is evil and must be punished.

What this guy said, though I have a bit of a different take. I think most players are familiar with
- games where they can win more often than not; games like WOW where you play against the computer, so technically every player could win
- or games where people can fool themselves into thinking they won; ala Call of Duty or League of Legends, where if your team wins you "win" or even if your team loses, you "win" if your score is awesome or whatever, so most of the players end the game thinking they won.

In HS of course, half the time someone has to lose, and I think for the reasons I stated above, many gamers are conditioned to believe that a 50% success rate is bad. To add to that, I think they view it as "Oh, it's a card game, so obviously it's going to be easy," forgetting that they have to outplay another player (not some bad computer) to win.

Still, I find it really annoying that everytime some newb loses a game they feel the need to complain that obviously it must be the rules' fault, not their own.
Reply Quote
Most of the complainers are several weeks late since the mage nerf happened and it was actually really painful if you played a freeze stall deck. Mages are still good, but they aren't the class of choice that most of the legendary players use anymore.
Reply Quote
doesnt matter if mages arent the top class.. they still need to be redone because it sucks to have a whole meta oriented around one stupid class
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 12:01 AMPosted by HaPpY
doesnt matter if mages arent the top class.. they still need to be redone because it sucks to have a whole meta oriented around one stupid class

you must be new here, mages suck balls, there is almost no active mages past rank 5 in constructed play, and in arena, they are barely top 3 out of all classes currently, and in constructed, they are barely middle of the park anymore, so your notion of "whole meta game is designed around mages" is fundamentally flawed, and factually incorrect, since now, the entire meta game revolves around warlock rush murlocs, or druid ramp up decks, with the odd rogue and paladin decks thrown in for good measure, warriors are abusing the OTK molten giants warsong commander bollox, which will be nerfed hard before long, as it is game breaking, so yeah, you are only about 3 weeks behind the game curve i think.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
12/29/2013 12:01 AMPosted by HaPpY

This is an excuse I've heard a lot of new players complaining about and it's dribble. Yes, you don't want every deck to have to revolve entirely around mage, but I think new players haven't seen what it's like to actually have a dominating class (rogue, druid, etc.). These were classes that everyone played, and even counter-decks could barely break 50-50 against them.

Anyway, EVERY deck has counter-cards; you play them and you have a better chance, you don't play them and you have a worse chance. You have to learn to balance these things. Removal cards are good against late-game decks and nearly worthless against rush decks; aoe is extremely good against rush but almost worthless against late-game. Acidic Swamp Ooze is really good against Warriors, decent against other weapon classes, and useable but not great against other classes.

The entire deck-crafting process is a series of tradeoffs against every possible deck you might face, and mage is nothing special in terms of that. You could literally substitute any class that the low-ranks think is popular and make an identical argument; it's just that currently mage is the class most low-ranks are paying attention to. But it used to be priest (note that practically without any buffs or nerfs it changed to mage), and next it'll be something else.
Reply Quote
I, honestly, think that Blizzard has set a dangerous precedent by nerfing cards that are not "fun" to play against. Or, to be more accurate, it was a dangerous precedent by announcing that the justification for nerfing cards was because they are not "fun" to play against. This gave all of the forum whiners a rallying cry to gather around and, now, any time they lose they can simply claim that the reason they lost was because the deck they played against wasn't "fun."

Honestly though, losing isn't fun and it's not really supposed to be. Sar is absolutely right in that an issue with this game is that there will always be one winner and one loser (except in rare situations when both heroes die at the same time and you're left with 2 losers). That means someone is always going to be upset.

I also think that part of the problem specific to mages is that they are very balanced at the low end game and they are the class that many people pick up first due to being guided into them by the tutorial and early practice games. As such they are far more represented at lower levels than some other classes so people play, and lose, a lot to them. This created a false perception of mages being overpowered (as evidenced by the lack of mages at high rank play due to a meta game that will destroy most mage decks).

At any rate, you've got far more patience than I do trying to defend mages Sar. I hit level 60 on my mage awhile ago and I just don't have the energy to keep it up. Mage is still my favorite class but I feel that it's almost inevitable that Blizzard will cave to the forum whiners and nerf mages again.
Reply Quote
This is my first time checking them, and i have to say, this feels a lot like a World of Warcraft forum, lol.
Reply Quote
ppl which are happy with game dont post anything. that is why it looks that everyone is against something in game. Same thing as on other game forums.
Reply Quote
12/29/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Topnotch
This is my first time checking them, and i have to say, this feels a lot like a World of Warcraft forum, lol.

that would be because for the most part, alot of the kids that play WoW are in this beta test, and have next to no clue how to play a TCG, let alone give feedback on how it should be balanced.
Reply Quote
No, you guys are simple abusive player. You guys deserve a lot of hate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]