8/10wins non epic/legendary starters deck!!!

This deck is so viable and beats most decks without the use of legendary or epic cards. So if you are one of those that havn't had the chance or luck to get a legendary or epic to boost up your deck, this is my tutorial on building a sustain AOE/minion wise deck with low enchanting cost and mostly basic cards. I will also explain the use and why i built it this way. Feel free to customize and let me know your experiences.

CARD Cost
1 x Leper Gnome 1
2 x Mana Wyrm 1
2 x Arcane Explosion 2
2 x Frostbolt 2
2 x Acidic Swamp 2
2 x Kobold Geomaster 2
2 x Arcane Intellect 3
1 x Cone Of Cold 4
2 x Fireball 4
2 x Polymorph 4
2 x Ogre Magi 4
2 x Sen'jin ShieldMasta 4
1 x Water Element 4
1 x Azure Drake 5
1 x Gadgetzan Auctioneer 5
1 x Gurubashi Berserker 5
1 x Blizzard 6
1 x Frost Elemental 6
2 x Flamestrike 7

You can swap the non SpellPower minions to suit your playstyle but overall this deck gives me a 7-8/10 win ratio.

So what you might have noticed is that i have 16 minions in this deck and 14 spells and that most of the spells are AOE damage. This is to achieve board control early (arcane explosion) mid game (both arcane explosion with some spellpower and Blizzard) and late game (FlameStrike)

Since controlling the flow of the game is very important, having board control at all times will help you achieve this.

Since we have 16 minions in this deck you will keep smashing your opponents face after squishing his minions with your spellpower and aoe spells one wave after the other. Frostbolt, FireBall and polymorth I use for those unexpected legendary cards or Giants that can turn the game against you, so save your single target nuke cards just in case and dont just shoot them at your opponent just to get more damage on them. It is better to leave your minions do the job and leave a couple Ace's under your sleeve if things go wrong.

2 Acidic swamps for those annoying Paladins,Warriors, Rogues and those Windfury Shamans. So dont shoot them out just yet unless its your only option. But dont worry u still have another one somewhere in that deck :).

Mana wyrm and Leper Gnome is for that early game. Very powerful basic early game cards.

A couple of taunts are always good. you never know when Arcanite Reaper might show up or a minion with charge powered by wind fury. it also gives you time to plan ahead or until a aoe spell pops up if you lost control of the board.

Gurubashi berserker for me is like having a minion with taunt. They will always try to nuke him down. They will waste most of there damage and poly spells on him and even if they dont, get ready to fireblast it next turn and make them wish they had when they had the chance.

Azure Drake is Azure Drake. Just Awesome. Spellpower, pick a card , 4 damage 4 health(the awesomest number against Priests :) ) there is nothing else to say about this card.

Water Element and Frost Element are board controllers. It gives you the opportunity to lock down high value targets in order to get at them next turn. They are also very good against sword wielders.

Gadgetzan Auctioneer! Just keep those cards coming. I just love to play him before arcane intellect.

I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial on this low cost non epic non legendary deck and feel free to comment on any opinions you may have and any thoughts when you have tried it out!

Thanks
Edited by Xamolios on 12/31/2013 4:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
How are you ranked?
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 04:45 PMPosted by ShenShifu
How are you ranked?

x2

Nice deck :)

I've modified it a little. I'll post my stream highlight of me using the Modified Deck Here:
http://www.twitch.tv/fatstrawpdx/c/3472106
(Video highlight is unedited. It contains two matches. The second match was vs an Aggro Warlock)

Modified Deck:
CARD Cost
1 x Leper Gnome 1
1 x Mana Wyrm 1
2 x Arcane Explosion 2
2 x Frostbolt 2
2 x Acidic Swamp 2
2 x Kobold Geomaster 2
1 x Ice Barrier 3 [Added]
1 x Ice Block 3 [Added]
2 x Arcane Intellect 3
1 x Cone Of Cold 4
2 x Fireball 4
2 x Polymorph 4
2 x Ogre Magi 4
2 x Sen'jin ShieldMasta 4
1 x Water Element 4
1 x Azure Drake 5
1 x Gadgetzan Auctioneer 5
1 x Gurubashi Berserker 5
1 x Blizzard 6
1 x Frost Elemental 6
1 x Flamestrike 7
1 x Pyroblast 8 [Added]

* I didn't use Ice Block or Ice Barrier in game one.
Edited by VietPho on 12/30/2013 8:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
i was given a beta mid December and i have been recently climbing the ladder. I have reached rank 10 from 18 really fast after i figured this build and still pwning!!

This is not a common mage build it focuses on taking out your opponents minions while giving you absolute board control at all times. The thing about this build is that u dont require pyro's or any direct damage to the player. I almost every time finish the game with 3-4 minions on the board leaving the opponent helpless to do anything.
Edited by Xamolios on 12/30/2013 11:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Im sure this deck cannot go far to rank 8 ...

Im at rank 7 - 4 stars atm, try this deck and lose so far in casual playmode ... lol
Reply Quote
Hey, in regards to the OP's deck; I don't have a leper gnome or azure drake so I subbed them with Argent Squire and Stormpike commando. Tried it out couple of times and won, barely... but won. If there are any better subs for these cards, let me know.

Edit: I got some mage rares and epics I can use too, so if you guys have any ideas, please post them. I wanna know.
Edited by SangHee on 1/25/2014 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]