How to counter Secrets!

Last few games i have been frustrated with Mages and Hunters with a lot of secrets.
When you see a secret it's simply s*** waiting to go off.
There is no way of dispelling or countering a secret without actually triggering it.
You can destroy a weapon, silence a minion, hex a minion, polymorph a minion but you cant counter a secret.

Am i wrong?

Please comment.
Write how you deal with secrets and tips for countering them.
Reply Quote
There is no way of countering secrets other than the hunter card http://www.hearthhead.com/card=896/flare.

As you can't counter them, you have to play clever to minimize the impact of the secret.
Know the different secret and their trigger conditions:
http://www.hearthhead.com/mechanic=11/secret

Snake Trap triggers when a minion is attacked.
Explosive Trap and Misdirection trigger when the hero is attacked.
Freezing Trap triggers on both.
Snipe triggers on playing a minion card.

That way you can easily find out which trap it is and use that to your benefit - your benefit being a minimal impact.

Let's say you play against a Hunter with a minion and a trap, and you have a Searing Totem and a Fire Elemental on the field and a 3/2 Fairy Dragon and a 4/4 Azure Drake in your hand.

If you attack with your Fire Elemental first: fail.
If you play your 3/2 before attacking: fail.
If you play the Azure Drake before the Fairy Dragon: fail.

Trigger the aoe trap before playing more minions. Attack with the most useless minion you can find first to check for something like Explosive Trap, Freezing trap, Misdirection or Snipe.

Same goes for Mages.
If there's a trap: Play a crappy minion first to check for Mirror imagine, and don't drop your Ragnaros.
Attack with a rather worthless minion to check if that's a Vaporize, or only an Ice Barrier.
Play a Rockbiter Weapon before your potentially game deciding Bloodlust to trigger Counterspell or Spellbender.

If you played a minion, a spell and attacked the hero and nothing happened: hooray for Ice Block.
Edited by Tetonka on 12/27/2013 4:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thank you so much for your replay.
When you say it that way and think about the possible secrets its not so hard to counter them.
Didn't now that the Hunter actually has a secret dispel card. Nice!

So the hunter is actually the only hero that can Silence a minnon, destroy a weapon and destroy seacrets.

The first 2 are the neutral minion abilities but never the less a good Hunter control deck would be amazing.

And now to find a good Hunter control decl :)
Reply Quote
One time, I made the bad, bad decision of summoning my Earth Elemental before killing one of my opponent's 4/1 minions when he had a secret. He got to duplicate my Earth Elemental which prevented me from killing his other minion and then Polymorphed & Fireblasted it. I lost very shortly thereafter.
Reply Quote
this guy just keeps pomping out hunter secrets and an eaglehorn bow. every turn he places 2 more and i can't do ANYTHING. How do you counter a deck like this?
Reply Quote
As shaman - you can't beat hunter secrets deck - this is a 95% loss matchup for us.

Thankfully this deck is dropping off a little in favour of "mid range" hunter deck, with Savannah Lion, Houndmaster, etc - and we have a better chance vs this one since it is slower to get going and we have Hex and Earth Shock.

If you REALLY want to beat the hunter secrets deck, pack 2x Acidic Oozy Thingy and 1x Harrison Jones. Boring cards like Harvest Golem instead of Unbound Elemental might also help...

Good luck.
Reply Quote
12/27/2013 08:57 AMPosted by subiri
destroy a weapon

dont forget any acidic ooze for 2 mana can shatter any weapon be it gorehowl, or a longbow
Reply Quote
I do wish Blizz would give us more options to deal with traps but yeah, if you play around them then they are slightly less annoying. Problem is a lot of the threads I read for dealing with traps assume ideal conditions. For example, avoiding Snipe, you are assuming I have a cheap minion to play and check for snipe, what if the only minion in my hand is an Azure Drake. Obviously, if I know snipe is there the smart thing is not to play it, but that could very well lose me the game because it could give him board control. Overall, traps are just annoying.
Reply Quote
Completely realizing this is on Shaman board...

There are other ways of dealing directly with or taking advantage of trap secrets, including:

Mage: preemptively place the "Counterspell" secret when you guess a secret trap is about to be played out. Counterspell will prevent it from being placed.

Secretkeeper: "Whenever a secret is played, gain +1/+1" - a great way to make others with secret-heavy decks to think twice about how many they play or at least get overly distracted dealing with a 1 mana minion.
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 04:39 PMPosted by ACinJC
Secretkeeper: "Whenever a secret is played, gain +1/+1" - a great way to make others with secret-heavy decks to think twice about how many they play or at least get overly distracted dealing with a 1 mana minion.

lol
Reply Quote
Well.

Earth shock > Mad Scientist. (with SP toem or Thanlos, kills him too).

From there, you just want to learn how all the traps trigger, guess which one is most likely and play around them.

Facing hunter? Attack with a small minion first, in case it's freezing. Never attack a buzzard on the field directly when there is a secret (use a spell or fire ele to kill it).

Facing mage? Play a small spell (coin) or small minion first. Kill the least useful minion first instead of giving them something nice to duplicate (good combo: hex, kill the sheep -> they get two sheep).

Facing paladin? Try to keep the board clear, so Avenge doesnt trigger. If your own minion gets reduced to 1 attack, you can silence it to restore the attack value. Be prepared for anything to come back with 1 health after you kill it. So don't kill Tirion first - kill a token.

Otherwise there is no easy solution, my friend. A lot of beating secrets comes from your own knowledge, intuition and play.
Edited by FarqTheOrc on 9/4/2014 3:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/29/2014 05:02 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
As shaman - you can't beat hunter secrets deck - this is a 95% loss matchup for us.

Politely disagree. As a shaman I have a much better win rate than 5% against hunters. In fact, I actually prefer and am glad to see them queue against me since I know almost with certainty what they are going to do.

Secrets do not scare me anymore, just learn to play around them. You know what the hunter intends based on when he pops them up anyways.

Example:
Throws down a Starving Buzzard... most likely snake trap
You have 2 or more minions on the board with 2 or less health.... most likely explosive
You have a big boy on the board.... most likely freezing
He throw down a Mad Scientist.... Silence or kill... then test with either a small minion or a rockbiter on your hero before dropping bigger guns

Feral Spirits, Defender of Argus, Sunfury Protector, Sen'jin, and Sludge frustrate the hell out of hunters. They don't have enough silence and kill commands to deal with large amounts of taunt. Get em to burn up there hunters mark early too on one of them. I can almost here them say "Oh sh*t... shoulda saved it" when I drop Earth / Fire Elemental or KT.

There are quite a few good hunter players out there. The good thing is, there are exponentially more bad hunters that are net-decking at the moment. Has really helped me climb the ladder with Shammy the past couple of days.
Reply Quote
09/04/2014 06:03 AMPosted by Deathgripz
04/29/2014 05:02 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc

Politely disagree. As a shaman I have a much better win rate than 5% against hunters. In fact, I actually prefer and am glad to see them queue against me since I know almost with certainty what they are going to do.

Secrets do not scare me anymore, just learn to play around them. You know what the hunter intends based on when he pops them up anyways.

Example:
Throws down a Starving Buzzard... most likely snake trap
You have 2 or more minions on the board with 2 or less health.... most likely explosive
You have a big boy on the board.... most likely freezing
He throw down a Mad Scientist.... Silence or kill... then test with either a small minion or a rockbiter on your hero before dropping bigger guns

Feral Spirits, Defender of Argus, Sunfury Protector, Sen'jin, and Sludge frustrate the hell out of hunters. They don't have enough silence and kill commands to deal with large amounts of taunt. Get em to burn up there hunters mark early too on one of them. I can almost here them say "Oh sh*t... shoulda saved it" when I drop Earth / Fire Elemental or KT.

There are quite a few good hunter players out there. The good thing is, there are exponentially more bad hunters that are net-decking at the moment. Has really helped me climb the ladder with Shammy the past couple of days.

Can we see your deck?
Reply Quote
04/29/2014 04:00 AMPosted by Epic
this guy just keeps pomping out hunter secrets and an eaglehorn bow. every turn he places 2 more and i can't do ANYTHING. How do you counter a deck like this?

There's some very good advice in this thread. But it's never easy because most of our minions are highly vulnerable to their secrets, especially to Explosive Trap.

But first of all, ALWAYS run at LEAST one ooze to kill the Eaglehorn. Ditch those stupid spiders if you run them and put oozes in their place.

And consider running at least one Earthen Ring Farseer (in place of Unbounds, which suck and should always be replaced with Golems or Farseers) to help counter the constant damage huntards inflict. I am running two at the moment just because I seem to take SO MUCH burn, especially against all the aggro out there.

09/04/2014 03:57 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
Otherwise there is no easy solution, my friend. A lot of beating secrets comes from your own knowledge, intuition and play.

Words of wisdom, those.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]