Can someone please help with my secrets deck?

I love running secrets. True, it may not be absolute stomp against many classes, but I like it due to players having to think a bit every now and then on both sides. They need to debate whether to randomly throw creatures down, and I need to make sure my secrets aren't obvious as hell. Been running this deck for a while and was able to to make it to rank 12, then I just got stomped down a few ranks. The main problem is aggro. I don't need a god hand to win, it's just one of my harder match ups. I would love to get some advice on this deck if anyone's got any. Also, anyone know how to counter ramp druids? They're way harder than pallies in my opinion.

Decklist:
Secrets Keeper x2
Arcane Explosion x2
Frost Bolt x2
Bloodmage Thalnos x1
Loot Hoarder x2
Nat Pagle x1
Novice Engineer x2
Wild Pyromancer x2
Counterspell x2
Ice block x2
Spellbender x2
Kirin Tor Mage x2
Fireball x2
Polymorph x1
Abomination x2
Pyroblast x2
Alexstrasza x1

I'm debating about abomination here. It's a good card, but it does get countered quite easily. I put in a mirror entity or two every now and then, but that card's easily played around by experienced players. Nat seems to get me god like card advantage if I get him out in turn 2. Even if he dies, people tend to over react with him and 2 for one him quite a lot (unless it's a priest). Still, he's pretty useless late game, so I was wondering if I should take him out.

Other lengendaries I have in my collection:
Sylvanas, Gelbin Mekkatorque, Ragnaros, and Ysera.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advices.
Edited by Bakakubi on 12/29/2013 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just gonna bump this. Any constructive advices would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Bakakubi on 12/29/2013 9:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi there, I've also really thoroughly enjoyed my pseudo aggro secrets deck too. But I haven't really tried grinding through constructed, and it often gets mowed down by heavy aggro decks (warlock, rogue) but I can do quite decently against the typical control druid/paladin.

One thing I can tell you right now is that I feel like secret decks revolve heavily around applying immediate pressure. Also, since secrets count as spells, you should seriously consider putting in mana wyrms. I also noticed your deck has no taunts whatsoever, and even a small buffer (e.g. mirror entities. sunfury, argus) can really help form an invaluable small barrier to protect yourself or other minions on board. Also, you should really be placing in ethereal arcanists with a secrets deck! They are amazing and draw a lot of immediate removal, and work especially well with Kirin Tor mages as well as ice block since flare is the only card that can remove it. I also have to mention that mana wyrms often draw so much removal (if you have a good hand to begind with) that often times it makes it safe to play early ethereal arcanists.

As for the legendary, Alextrasza is okay but you might want something more aggressive like Archmage Antonidas. I am suffering inner turmoil wondering whether or not to craft this, but I can see it being insanely good as a late drop + secrets for free fireballs. Even Ysera or Ragnaros is more useful than alex IMO since I find you often need some sort of late game finisher or presence. As such (if you do go for antonidas), you may consider going for arcane intellects over novice engineers for card draw.
Edited by Mintz on 12/30/2013 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hm... you do make some very solid points with mana wyrms. I actually did a phase where I had both mana wyrms and arcanists in the deck. I replaced wyrms with secrets keeper mostly due to personal preferences, and from playing they almost act like the same card. Keeper also gets removed almost asap. I want to have both in actually, but there was no room. I actually might take out engineers for intellects though, since they don't really seem to do much. as for ysera or ragnaros, guess I'll be switching back and forth between them. I don't have the dust to make Archmage yet since I crafted bloodlord. Also, I do have taunts, but only as abominations. I might have to get my deck to be more creature heavy, it seems.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply Quote
Hey! Wanted to share my current Secrets deck and my experiences with variations of it.

My Current Secret Decklist:

x2 Secret Keeper
x2 Frostbolt
x2 Mana Addict
x2 Counterspell
x1 Iceblock
x2 Entity
x1 Spellbender (working on my 2nd)
x2 Vaporize
x2 Kirin Tor Mage
x2 Fireball
x2 Polymorph
x2 Ethereal Arcanist
x1 Faceless Manipulator
x2 Blizzard
x2 Flamestrike
x1 Archmage Antonidas
x2 Pyroblast

This is what I'm running at the moment and I'm often back and forth swapping out x2 cards for mana worms as I like being able to keep them busy until the secrets start flowing. It is stacked with removal and has a fairly strong late-game. My general approach when playing it is to gain an early mid-game advantage and hold it in a secret-headlock. lol.

Personally I don't feel one needs more than a single iceblock in a deck. If I happen to play it early game it's to benefit the ethereal arcanists that are to follow. Later game it also serves its purpose to give you an extra turn, but people are getting the hang of widdling you down to a few hit points before setting it off. So the value of a second iceblock drops significantly at that point.

Vaporize can have its benefits and often times it pays for itself by buying me a turn when an opponent refuses to attack, worried I have it up. You can do jerk-ish things with it. I like stressing my opponents out. lol.

I do not play with arcane intellect. If I have to play a card to draw two cards, one of those cards could have already been in my hand. lol. I honestly don't understand the hype of drawing extra cards if said cards are sacrificing their position for better cards in the deck. I see the benefit in a murloc/early rush type deck where one is clearing their hands with low mana cost cards every couple of turns. Or if the card has other benefits beyond just a draw card.
I would suggest even those 1/3 common minion that draws a card when it takes damage, over arcane intellect. But thats just in my experience.

Mirror entity is love/hate for me. I love it when they 'play around it' (its why I love secret deck in general, making them guess). But i hate it when I score a copy of a crappy creature I'd never put in my own deck. lol.
It does however help in keeping the advantage in moments. Giving them yet another thing to deal with. Late game they are forced to play their legendary creatures a little more cautiously. It also betters the chances of setting off combos from benefiting cards to have more secrets in the deck.

Nat Pagle I can see having its place because of its mana cost. I imagine it definitely is a distraction to them, and anything that keeps them busy until your secrets are in play is advantageous.

I have a bloodmage thalnos but not in this deck. I often wonder if I should DE him to get my other spell bender. But I really like him in my spelldamage themed deck. I feel like he should be buffed every so slightly. Having the 'draw card' be a battlecry instead of on death. But thats another convo. lol.

I don't have an Alexstrasa so I can't comment much on that. I'm currently using archmage and I feel it fits wonderfully with secrets. With 7 mana cost you can pair it with spellbenders/counterspell to help protect it a turn. It's pretty much a nightmare if a turn 9 you played flamestrike and cleared the board. Then turn 10 you play archmage, kirin tor + counterspell lol. Insert more lol's if you happen to faceless manipulator it for double the fireballs.

Anyways. I relate to much of what you're saying with ramp druids and pallies. I feel most vulnerable to murloc/minion rush/charge decks. Removal costs a lot of mana and tends to take up my whole turn when doing so. So if they're massing cheap/efficient minions, or somehow get a nice advantage early, I can be overrun quickly. I have a sigh of relief, and a schoolgirl giggle, when they can't do anything first couple of turns.
I haven't tried arcane explosion in this deck yet. Which could help such a problem. I imagine those in combination with Wild Pyromancer is what you had intended too. Clearing the board early on so you could get into the kirin-tor/secret flow unhindered.

If I had to make any suggestions to your deck (and take this advice lightly as I'm learning this as you are) remove the Novice engineers/loot hoarders or Wild pyromancers and replace them with mana wyrms. The mana wyrms can be a threat earlier on, they're a tad harder to kill, they gain benefit from your turn 2-3 spells if you were to play them.
Currently your turn 2 slot is a bit crowded. Which I can understand as we have a desperate need to not fall behind and play catch-up for turn 3. But I don't find Novice engineers/loot hoarders to be ideal plays for slot 2. Secret decks tend to really unfold at 3 slot. With the combos the deck offers, our mid game is usually not the problem. It's early and late game. So perhaps if you helped better balance the flow of mana cost throughout your deck. Have x4 cards you can potentially play on turn one, x4 on turn two, then your mass of secrets/kirin tor, etherreal arcanists and sheep/fireball/polys turn 4-7. Abominations can sit nicely in turn 5. Perhaps see about some late game aoe, or some end-game 'plan'.
Secretkeepers/Mana wyrms usually die immediately. But that's a good thing as we're just buying freedom for turn 3-4 combos anyways. If we have to play catch-up before getting into our flow, the deck loses so much potential. So you want something in turns 1-2 that is threatening.

And lastly. Try to get some Ethereal Arcanists in there!

Edit: I see the reason for 2 iceblocks now. With alexstrasa.

Hope all this rambling helps. Cheers!
Edited by Kinross on 12/30/2013 6:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm getting arcanists in there. I'm really debating on removing loot hoarders and engineers though. I feel like I'll be needing at least 1 set of either one in the deck because I have no draw power what so ever. I actually just removed the abominations and put in a Sylvanas and a blizzard. Like you, I'm still learning. The deck is doing pretty good now, I might put up the list later on once I feel like it's completed and good enough.
Reply Quote
Decklist:
Secrets Keeper x2
Arcane Explosion x2
Frost Bolt x2
Bloodmage Thalnos x1
Loot Hoarder x2
Nat Pagle x1
Novice Engineer x2
Wild Pyromancer x2
Counterspell x2
Ice block x2
Spellbender x2
Kirin Tor Mage x2
Fireball x2
Polymorph x1
Abomination x2
Pyroblast x2
Alexstrasza x1

Looks like a verry rounded deck list,dont think i would change annything.
Maybe switch the loothoarders with acolyte of pain but thats all i can think of.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]