No creature class.

There shouldn't be a class that doesn't have to play a creature and win, with the opposition not being able to do anything because being chain frozen. /rant
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/11160105952#1

my idea
Reply Quote
Why does every deck need to have creatures to win? When did that become a rule?

Also I have no sympathy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_wUi57fewY
Reply Quote
Get good, you're bad, blah blah blah, etc. etc.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/04/2014 07:11 PMPosted by Recon
There shouldn't be a class that doesn't have to play a creature and win, with the opposition not being able to do anything because being chain frozen. /rant

I don't like the idea to win games without putting minions on the board either; the game is supposed to involve minion control.

That being said, mages only have 38 direct damage (46 if you count Ice Lance). Unless the game goes into fatigue they're unlikely to draw all their direct damage, and unless you put no pressure on the opponent, they're probably going to have to use some to control the board in order to not die. That means that, short of very lucky draws (which mind, can happen from sometimes), your opponent will not have enough direct damage to kill you in a short game, and even a small amount of healing in your deck can give you more health than they can kill without minion usage.
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 05:15 AMPosted by Sar
I don't like the idea to win games without putting minions on the board either; the game is supposed to involve minion control.

Then why did the developers make so many direct damage spells in a single set?

They could have easily done that you know? Make all spells only burn minions. But they didn't, because the game is not solely about having minions out.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/05/2014 06:21 AMPosted by AshVandal

Then why did the developers make so many direct damage spells in a single set?

They could have easily done that you know? Make all spells only burn minions. But they didn't, because the game is not solely about having minions out.

The devs didn't want the players to do nothing but fling spells at each other, but nor did they want minions to be the only thing that mattered.

The example they gave is that there was a time in MTG where spells became so strong that players didn't even use minions; they basically just sat their flinging spells at each other trying to draw into their combos. And this was relatively boring; it felt non-interactive, and like each player was playing a 1-player game and trying to finish first.

For this reason, the devs want it to feel like the board matters. That doesn't mean the board is the ONLY thing that matters. A player with no minions on the board but 10 cards in hand at 30 health while his opponent's at 3 health is still winning. But they also don't want there to be decks where you play without minions and do nothing but fling spells all game, as this is considered boring.

I should note two things though. First, they did want Mage to feel MORE spell-centric than other classes. Not to the degree that minions were irrelevant, but they did want Mages to be able to lean on spell usage more. But second, one thing that's unclear to me is how they feel about hero-centric classes. For example, It's somewhat unclear to me how they feel about Hunter trap decks that rely on weapons; it seems to split the difference between a spell deck and a board deck, since the hero is a character on the board but not really a controllable one. At least to me personally I think this type of mechanic is fine as it still revolves around the board, and my guess is the devs are fine with it too, but I haven't ever heard them officially comment on that.
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 05:15 AMPosted by Sar

That being said, mages only have 38 direct damage (46 if you count Ice Lance). Unless the game goes into fatigue they're unlikely to draw all their direct damage, and unless you put no pressure on the opponent, they're probably going to have to use some to control the board in order to not die. That means that, short of very lucky draws (which mind, can happen from sometimes), your opponent will not have enough direct damage to kill you in a short game, and even a small amount of healing in your deck can give you more health than they can kill without minion usage.

I'm actually rank 2 playing rogue all the way. It probably have to deal with mage counters rogue pretty hard at the currently meta. But still, pressuring a Mage into <10 HP doesn't matter much if you can't end it before a single flamestrike. Pyro isn't that big of an issue as more of low mana spells such as frostbolt then combing with Iceland doing 7 damage with 3 mana cost.

I wouldn't mind having a class doing direct damge like the Mage, because I use to play them also. But drawing early game mana wyrm, coin, mirror image, you have a 3/3 with 2 0/2 with taunts. This is devastating with the current meta of aggro decks. With rogue it's harder to setup board wipes, 2 mana to dagger, 1 for deadly poison, 2 for blade furry. that's 5 mana.

Mages shouldn't have massive direct damage if they have a great early game as well.

That being said, this game is like rock, paper, scissors. Currently I feel only heal decks can really dominate mages.
Reply Quote
Give noobs a frosty machinegun and let's see if u dare to call them noob anymore :p

A fairy tale: I raised many dogs and use them as minions, i even used my best friend as a meatshield. But then i still be defeated by righterous sexy mages. The end.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]