Void Terror Synergy?

Ive heard it called bad for quite a while, but do people still feel that way? Ive been playing around with him for the last day and he seems to have incredible synergy with multiple types of warlock decks.

1) Murloc/Rush : Less desirable in murloc then rush, but the point is the same, if you have a board of 3+ creatures and your forecasting a board clear, you can void terror any non-buff applying Murlocs or a few creatures. The buffs from blood imp/Murloc warleader/Stormwind champion/Etc are counted when absorbing creatures, so if you eat two creatures and have a blood imp on the board, your void terror will at least have 6 health and 5 damage. (And likely much more)

2) Control/Other : In other decks, the card has incredible synergy with power overwhelming, ancient watchers, death rattles (Harvest golem, Cairne blood hoof, Loot hoarder, etc) And, last but not least of all, Faceless manipulator. A ancient watcher + another creatures (I find myself often using a harvest golem) followed by a void terror and faceless manipulator next turn is incredibly difficult to deal with.

In fact the only thing that i can think of that can deal with that long term (Where talking 4 10/10+ void terrors over the course of a game) is either a mage with Polymorph/Vaporize/Pyroblast or a Priest (Mind control, Mass Dispell, Silences, Etc)

Most of the time if you do the combo (Two minions, Void terror, Faceless) Your opponent will be able to deal with one, and die to the next.
Reply Quote
With the relative lack of hard removal and silence the terror isn't bad per se but he is a risk. I have had him solo beat people and I've also had him tinkmastered but I try to take some big things to bait removal first. I've warmed to this guy a bit, a real gamblers option.
Reply Quote
The problem with Void Terror is that in most situations barring guaranteed death, it saves your enemy the effort of having to kill a minion (or two) and, if countered by a silence, you essentially just lost two minions for a 3/3. That can easily lead to a loss and it's a huge mistake to ever play this card when you have any doubt whether or not there's a silence in your enemy's hand.

Void Terror IMO is best used only in conjunction with Power Overwhelming or deathrattle effects. It's a really cool card but not really good for every deck. That being said, I've had some funny moments with it and it's a favorite of mine as far as simple flavor goes. Particularly entertaining moments include:

Power Overwhelming on an Angry Chicken. It becomes a 5/5. Attacks yeti, now a 10/1. Void Terror into a 13/4 while only sacrificing one (relatively useless) card.

Four 4 health or less minions on the board. Turn 6, Void Terror two of them. Suddenly the mage who'd been planning that flamestrike has to somehow handle your 10/12 Void Terror instead.

The infamous Sylvanas Windrunner/Void Terror/Power Overwhelming combo. You not only just took one of your enemy's minions but they also just took it to the face, and you have a 12/12 on the board. Bonus points (although minus the MC, sadly) that Sylvanas is a silence magnet and a great way to fish out if your enemy has a silence to deal with your Void Terror ahead of time.

Ancient Watcher turn 2, your enemy will likely ignore it as there are few things that can trade with it that early and most removal doesn't reach that high. Void Terror turn 3, nothing like a 7/8 on turn 3. That's almost as ridiculous as Alarm-o-bot druid decks and way easier to pull off.
Edited by Aak on 1/4/2014 11:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 11:57 AMPosted by Brawl97
With the relative lack of hard removal and silence the terror isn't bad per se but he is a risk.

What exactly are you talking about?
Removal and silence is available in abundance.
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 11:40 PMPosted by Greywind
With the relative lack of hard removal and silence the terror isn't bad per se but he is a risk.

True, but most people don't run more than 2 of each. If you have other "must silence/remove" targets like Twilight Drake, or whatever, it might work out well one way or another. I still think it's very situational, and I haven't had enough success with VT in my decks YET. I think it's still a decent card though, and I'll keep trying now and then, simply because it has a lot of potential.
Reply Quote
It must be the kind of opponents I meet then.
The last few matches I had with my standard, non-murloc rush deck, I had people whip out endless amounts of removals. Like, my Fire Imp didn't make it to round two in about 4 of 6 matches bad.
Reply Quote
To clarify, "removal" is different quality pending the target. I was more referring to "hard removal"* generally being limited to 2... things like Siphon Soul, Hex, Poly, etc.* "Soft removal" (generally, just plain old damage in the 1-3 range) like Arcane Shot or Lightning Bolt obviously works effectively against lower-health targets, but not as effectively against a well-buffed/high health targets, such as a Void Terror can easily become. So they're either relying on their silence, or throwing multiple cards into the target, which makes the Void Terror's mechanics much more acceptable (and sometimes advantageous) in the latter case.

Of course, with the Void Terror specifically, a lot depends on what target(s), if any, you're eating, as to whether or not "hard removal" is required.

*("Hard Removal" as I've generally understood it: Is a 1-card answer that doesn't care about the current health of the target... to a degree, Poly and Hex aren't "1-card" answers in a technical sense but you generally don't need to expend another card to clean up what they leave behind, though you might lose some tempo. Others may have more strict or more loose definitions.)
Edited by Tsenzei on 1/5/2014 2:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
I really want to use this guy but he literally ALWAYS gets removed or silenced immediately. Or worse...got one out once at 14/9 and actually managed to hit the guy with it, then he played a Faceless Manipulator AND silenced mine

I'd like to see it given charge and changed to 1/2 the health and attack of the cards it destroys. Right now all it does is let you win a game faster that you were already winning anyway.
Reply Quote
rather than cerate a new post id like to add here that having two dire wolfs and two minions between them eaten by a void terror is especially nice because it makes the two dire wolf buffs first permanent then its also gets the same two buffs "again".
Reply Quote
The only reasonable uses of Void terror are :
1)Trigger deathrattle(might be really good with sylvannas)
2)Transition into mid game preventing board wipe - Getting rid of 2 voidwalkers so they dont die to a flamestrike isnt halfbad.

I really dont see much use aside of that.Obviously any hard removal or silence will probably lose you the game because of your investment, also having a single big minion will make it harder to deal with swarm of minions so thats a problem too.
I have been always been curious if he could be viable if he had a simple taunt.
Reply Quote
VT is nothing if not high-risk, high-reward.

I expect he will see much use with the release of Naxx, as the reward factor will go even higher.
Edited by DancingDead on 6/15/2014 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 12:53 AMPosted by Tsenzei

True, but most people don't run more than 2 of each.

If he gets removed/silenced, it is a huge tempo loss for the Lock. I can see him being good in Naxx with, say, Nerubian Egg tho
Reply Quote
06/15/2014 01:03 PMPosted by Requiem

True, but most people don't run more than 2 of each.

If he gets removed/silenced, it is a huge tempo loss for the Lock. I can see him being good in Naxx with, say, Nerubian Egg tho

Eggs-actly!

Putting that bad pun behind us, with the Death Rattle love that seems to be coming, it may not stop with the egg.

I could see eating a harvest golem and an egg with Rivendare in play. Sounds quite nasty if the opponent doesn't have the AoE to deal with it.

Edit: That combo would make what? A 5/8 void, with two 4/4s and two 2/1s on the board. Even with aoe, a 5/7 isn't super easy to deal with. Barring a silence, ofc.
Edited by DancingDead on 6/15/2014 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]