mage tears

I cannot beat anyone with my mage deck and I read on the forums how mage is so OP, it is really confusing. I feel like I'm playing everything correctly but everyone counters everything I do, it feels like the only time I win are when I get lucky pyros. Please help me by fixing my deck and giving me tips/insults.

1 X arcane missiles
2 X ice lance
2 X mirror image
2 X mana wyrm
2 X frost bolt
2 X acidic swamp ooze
1 X kobold geomancer
1 X counterspell
1 X spellbender
1 X questing adventurer
1 X raging worgen
1 X shattered sun cleric
1 X cone of cold
2 X fireballs
2 X polymorph
1 X dark iron dwarf
2 X spellbreaker
1 X water elemental
1 X blizzard
1 X flamestrike
1X pyroblast
edit* 1 X Alexstraza

Fix my deck pls
Edited by Skinbar on 1/3/2014 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
Well, first of all, the mage is op line is incorrect. Mage is about average right now; it's not that it's a particularly weak class, but nor is it a particularly strong one. So don't be thrown off by that.

Anyway, I don't really like the cheap spells deck personally. I know some people use it, but I prefer to avoid cards like Arcane Missiles, Ice Lance, etc.; they're pretty awesome cards when they work (such as powering up Mana Wyrm or drawing both your Ice Lances early), but I find they don't work as often as you'd think. If you are going to run the Ice Lance variant, you need a LOT of draw power, because the goal is to draw into them as fast as possible.

I would recommend a second Pyro; it's worth running. Some people run Ragnaros instead of a second Pyro, and I think that's fine; but you're running neither.

I'm also not a fan of Kobold Geomancer. If you're going to run a spell power minion, I'd run Bloodmage; but I'd run no spell power over Geomancer, because he'll usually just get picked off easily by the enemy and you'll be down a card.

As a mage, you probably don't need spellbreaker; Polymorph covers most of the silences you'll need. Note that they aren't still good cards, but you can probably find better things than that.

Raging Worgen sounds good on paper, but he usually ends up dying before bashing the enemy in; something meatier or with a better effect often works out better.

As to what to put in, it's hard to say without knowing what types of decks give you problems.
Reply Quote
Pretty much all deck beat me at this point I seem to lose to everybody. Thanks for the advice I am going to make these changes immediately.
Reply Quote
This deck looks a lot like the freeze mage deck that fell off after the nerfs. If you want to keep running this style, you need two iceblocks, another pyroblast (which are all expensive), and card draw. I find the agro mage deck more effective. The 'control' mage just doesn't seem as good now.

Keep in mind, what I say is assuming you want to build the faster deck. Some of these cards could be ok for a control mage.

acidic swamp ooze: Good card, but there are more agressive/better options
kobold geomancer: Not an awesome card in general
questing: There are just not enough situations where this won't get killed before you can play 2 cards.
counterspell: Too situational
spellbender: Same as above
spellbreaker: Good card again. Stats are weak and there are other better options
Blizzard: It's just too expensive now
COC: Same as above

What to add:

Novice Engineer: Every deck must have 2 of these.
Argent commander: It's awesome!
Harvest Golem: SO much value!
Slyvanas: She is a good drop that has to be played around. Get her after you get the good epics/rares/commons
Argent Squire: Good 1 drop. Most rush decks have these
Lepper Gnome: Same as above
Loot Hoarder: Same idea as novice, but weaker to certain hero abilities

Here's the mage deck I just got to legends with:

http://i.imgur.com/c4DCdVP.jpg
(The one to the far left. It won some tournament)
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 03:24 PMPosted by Bruceder

your mage deck is ... weird. why do u have mana wyrm when u have 3 spells only? This is how u got legend? are u kidding or trolling?
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

your mage deck is ... weird. why do u have mana wyrm when u have 3 spells only? This is how u got legend? are u kidding or trolling?

It sounds like he copied it from someone else, so he may not know why certain things were done.

I'm not a complete expert on this decktype but have seen it a little bit; it's essentially the Mage equivalent of the Warlock hyper-aggro decks. The reason you run Mana Wyrms even with only a few spells is because you're trying to ensure you have something to play Shattered Sun Cleric, Defender of Argus, and Dark Iron Dwarf off of. As a 3-health minion, it's pretty hard to take out in the very early game, so it's a cheap drop that tends to survive pretty well. Essentially, you can think of it as another 2 Argent Protector, though Mana Wyrm can still be buffed up with Coin if you're going second.

Think of it as taking the place that Voidwalkers often take in Warlock hyper-aggro, though it lacks taunt, which is kind of a major perk of the VW.
Edited by Sar on 1/3/2014 3:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
I did copy this deck and I did get to legends with it and I do understand it. The deck I used to get rank 3-5 was the same besides the berserker's, worgen, and a flamestrike, so I have plenty of experience. Another very strong version of this deck uses 2x mirror images and 2x arcane missiles, but I found more success with the enrage units. If your oponent can't answer your berserker on turn 2, that's 5 free damage, which often leads to a victory. Mana wyrm is still a strong card without any spells, and is really impossible to pass up in a rush deck. Sar has hit pretty much everything.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
01/03/2014 04:29 PMPosted by Bruceder
I did copy this deck and I did get to legends with it and I do understand it. The deck I used to get rank 3-5 was the same besides the berserker's, worgen, and a flamestrike, so I have plenty of experience. Another very strong version of this deck uses 2x mirror images and 2x arcane missiles, but I found more success with the enrage units. If your oponent can't answer your berserker on turn 2, that's 5 free damage, which often leads to a victory. Mana wyrm is still a strong card without any spells, and is really impossible to pass up in a rush deck. Sar has hit pretty much everything.

Sorry, incase I wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to say you were blindly posting the deck without understanding it. What I meant was that it was POSSIBLE that you understood that the deck worked and how it worked, but might not understand why a particular card was put in the deck over another (i.e. why run Mana Wyrm with only a few spells).
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Skinbar
cannot beat anyone with my mage deck and I read on the forums how mage is so OP

You are right. I tired to lvl my mage by loses and switch on pally. It is realy OP after modern mage. Main mage problem is in what most mage spells dont worth to use in common cases. There are spells like sheep, frost nova, mirrow image and another arcane mussles. Also mage specific minions are bad. Rare Kilin Tor Mage and Ethernal arcanist are the worst class-specific expert minions in game. Only warrior's Armorsmith is close to them. Mage power is the weakest power in game. If you use it every 2-3 rounds or often, you do something realy wrong.
So, in common cases mage has to play from neutral minions. You should remember, what mage is just 1 class in game, which can not buff minions. So you need to play from minions what dont need buff and/or can buff themself/another minions. First are lepper gnome and loot hoarder, second - shaterred sun cleric, dark iron dwarf, defender of argus. Enraged - amani berserker, raging worgen, gurubashi berserker. Add to them mage direct damage spells - frost bolt, fireball and pyroblast, and you almost get 30 cards. For last spots you may add some aoe dmg like flamestrike or blizzard, or what ever you want.
And it will be great deck, like deck, presented Bruceder a little earlier. But it will not help you against agro pally or agro warlock or control druid or giant decks or another top epic/legendary decks. To play against them you need same epic/legendary deck, so buy or farm 3k dust, and craft your giants.
Reply Quote
No worries!
Reply Quote
01/03/2014 03:24 PMPosted by Bruceder

http://i.imgur.com/c4DCdVP.jpg
(The one to the far left. It won some tournament)

Interesting - been trying this deck and it seems very weak against some setups - notably Warlock murlock decks, and any deck with a lot of healing. Priests seem to be playing decks full of mind-control, thought-steal etc, and I always lose against those with this deck. Does it still work?
Reply Quote
This deck should deal with priests just fine. Priests don't generally have enough answers early, and can't take board control away before they die. The main issues are druids, who can pull out aoe to slow down your rush, then finish off when large minions and heals, and warlocks, who start a little faster with their awesome 1 drops and soulfire. Still, these aren't bad matchups really. If you get the right cards and play carefully you'll win.
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Bruceder
This deck should deal with priests just fine. Priests don't generally have enough answers early, and can't take board control away before they die. The main issues are druids, who can pull out aoe to slow down your rush, then finish off when large minions and heals, and warlocks, who start a little faster with their awesome 1 drops and soulfire. Still, these aren't bad matchups really. If you get the right cards and play carefully you'll win.

Cheers, yep I've kept going with it and it's working out really well - still have trouble with Warlock Murlock decks, unless I'm really lucky with the draw, because they can just spawn so many minions so quickly and this deck only has a single AOE - but in general it's doing well! The Mana Wyrms are great decoys - most opponents seem to target them immediately even though they're nowhere near as dangerous with this deck as the raging worgen or berserkers?
Reply Quote
Just thought I'd update on this since the reset. This deck is now doing terribly against most classes. Probably has about a 30% win rate at most. If anyone's got a deck that's doing well at the moment I'd be interested in trying it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]